Author Topic: Why do people hate Jar Jar Binks?  (Read 14954 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Why do people hate Jar Jar Binks?
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
I guess this goes for the prequel stuff in general.  I know he's a bit grating in the first movie but I'm watching The Clone Wars series and the episodes he has been in have been enjoyable. Bombard Jedi is the first of the Jar Jar/Padme episodes and its pretty entertaining.
I guess my question follows up to the whole Prequel Part of the universe. I mean the movies are of so-so quality and don't have the same feel of the Original series. (it makes sense why though) But despite that most other media that takes place in this time period is pretty good.
Didn't know if there was a main star wars thread.   
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Why do people hate Jar Jar Binks?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
Jar Jar was just just kind of annoying and largely pointless.

Between the prequel trilogy, there were 1.5 good movies. I think they're overall hated by people who just didn't think that the character of Anakin would grow in to Darth Vader. I dunno. Made sense to me. Story still could've been better overall.

But the Clone Wars series is largely well liked, or so I thought. Even the original 2D shorts that aired for a while was pretty popular.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
Probably because Star Wars being super serious adult drama is no place for kiddy characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Never seeing Star Wars until late 20s is quite beneficial at times
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
Star Wars, right from the beginning, was aimed at kids.

I don't mind Jar Jar, he is one of those characters that is good when used in short doses (like Database on The Simpsons).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
Characters like Jar Jar in the prequels are generally perceived as stereotypes. The whole jamacans in space thing showed a lack of imagination in regards to creating alien races. Jabba the hutt may have been a mobster of sorts but he wasn't a cartoony italian or whatever.

Jar Jar represents the worst of these stereotypes.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »
Comic relief characters are okay but Jar Jar wasn't funny, and pretty much ruined every scene he was in.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
Star Wars, right from the beginning, was aimed at kids.

I don't mind Jar Jar, he is one of those characters that is good when used in short doses (like Database on The Simpsons).

he got some amusing bits in the big battle in episode 1

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:45:11 PM »

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »
Jar Jar Binks is worse than all the Ewoks put togther, he's actually probably one of the worst characters in anything ever.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:09 PM »
Jar Jar Binks is worse than all the Ewoks put togther, he's actually probably one of the worst characters in anything ever.
1. Jar Jar is pretty cool in The Clone Wars (makes sense as its a cartoon)
2.The Ewoks were awesome like Gizmo from Gremlins. The rebels would have loss the battle without those furry little dudes.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
Jar Jar comes across like exactly what he is - George Lucas wanting to pat himself on the back for having the first fully CG character in a non-cartoon movie.  Ignoring his borderline racist depiction or his unfunny attempts at humour, the character looks like Roger Rabbit invaded Star Wars.  Many times he doesn't even look like he is there and his movement is often exaggerated and unrealistic.

Worst of all he started a trend that I think is generally bad for movies: using fake looking CG for damn near everything even when the effect could be achieved with practical effects.  The big battle of Star Wars Episode I between the Gungans and battle droids is literally a cartoon.  This is now acceptable and movies get away with all sorts of **** that looks faker than effects from movies that are 30 years old!  Episode I started that and Jar Jar is the most prominant CG effect in that movie.  Jar Jar Binks is the patron saint of shitty CG.

Gollum however would be the patron saint of good looking CG.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
1. Jar Jar is pretty cool in The Clone Wars (makes sense as its a cartoon)
2.The Ewoks were awesome like Gizmo from Gremlins. The rebels would have loss the battle without those furry little dudes.

the ewoks are fine in my opinion. i don't see why so many people don't like them.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »
Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace is like a mosquito bite: annoying but benign. 

I can't speak for any of the other tv shows/movies/etc he's appeared in.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
Jar Jar comes across like exactly what he is - George Lucas wanting to pat himself on the back for having the first fully CG character in a non-cartoon movie.
There are several in Phantom Menace so its not even like Jar Jar even had to be there for that reason. And I find it mildly amusing that Lucas used a really weird looking puppet instead for Yoda... then just decided to have ILM CG over the puppet like a decade later.

Jar Jar was kind of pointless. He easily could have been written out of the entire trilogy. Yeah, he's annoying, but I find him to be more a betrayal of decent storytelling. The problem with the prequels doesn't begin and end with Jar Jar. He's merely part of the problem and one that is fairly obvious to anyone even half paying attention.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »
This thread listed on the main page reads like its racist.

Wasted potential...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:59:14 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »
Jar Jar comes across like exactly what he is - George Lucas wanting to pat himself on the back for having the first fully CG character in a non-cartoon movie.
There are several in Phantom Menace so its not even like Jar Jar even had to be there for that reason. And I find it mildly amusing that Lucas used a really weird looking puppet instead for Yoda... then just decided to have ILM CG over the puppet like a decade later.

I don't know why they didn't just use the same puppet for Yoda from the original trilogy or, if it didn't exist anymore, make an exact replica.  Yoda lives to be like 900 years old or something like that.  In Phantom Menance he is like maybe 50 years younger at best which is a drop in the bucket for someone that old and yet he looks noticably different in what I assume to supposed to make him look younger.  Why would he look any different?  Oh yeah, George Lucas is a huge moron who couldn't even make Luke's and Leia's births consistent in Episode III with Leia's story in Return of the Jedi.

I remember when Episode I came out I was really excited for a new Star Wars and was reading up on the new movie the best I could and in interviews Lucas bragged big time about Jar Jar being an all digital character and how he was making movie history and everything like that.  Obviously there are other digital characters in the movie but Jar Jar is clearly the most significant one.

Hey, maybe that is why Yoda is a puppet in that one.  Being a well known character he would clearly steal the show and take attention from the other digital characters.  By Episode II that would no longer matter so they could just use a CG Yoda.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
You could maybe explain Yoda's aging as a result of the events of Episode III and the stress caused by the destruction of the Jedi Order.

As for Leia, there have been several plausible explanations that explain it. Once is that memories of Padme were imprinted in Leia's memory through the force. Another is that her memories may have been that of the Organas, not Padme.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
My opinion of Jar Jar has swung back and forth like his ears:
1. I saw TPM on it's release as an adult. I thought Jar Jar was ... just OK. Looked neat, had some cringe-worthy dialogue. Mostly harmless.
2. I saw TPM with my kids when they were little and saw how they reacted to Jar Jar, particularly in the toy stores. My kids thought he was funny. I could see their point. I gave Jar Jar a break. I could see how he was funny. I chuckled along with my kids.
3. I saw TPM more recently in the theatres with my kids who are now teenagers. We really enjoyed collectively cringing at how dumb Jar Jar is. He was a source of ridicule but he didn't piss us off. We had fun and laughed at Jar Jar quite a bit, but not for the reasons George Lucas intended.
4. I have seen several episodes of The Clone Wars animated series that feature Jar Jar. These people got him right at last. He is worked in logically to the stories in which he appears. He is genuinely funny. He gets results in unexpected ways because he is a clown character. He achieves his successes by accident. I genuinely enjoy his appearances.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
You could maybe explain Yoda's aging as a result of the events of Episode III and the stress caused by the destruction of the Jedi Order.

As for Leia, there have been several plausible explanations that explain it. Once is that memories of Padme were imprinted in Leia's memory through the force. Another is that her memories may have been that of the Organas, not Padme.
LOL, the force did it. That's some hack retcon I would expect GL to do.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »

LOL, the force did it. That's some hack retcon I would expect GL to do.

If you're making a prequel wouldn't the VERY FIRST THING you would do is watch the original films and make notes about anything that references the past so that your new films don't contradict the rest of the series or introduce plotholes?  It's just such an obvious thing to do and anyone with the slightest skill in storytelling would do that.  George Lucas is making this stuff up.  This isn't like some convoluted canon created by multiple authors over decades where it's impossible to fill in the gaps without some conflict.  It's simple: Leia remembers some time with her real mother who died when she was young.  Thus Padme must die while Leia is young but old enough to have some memory of it while Luke has effectively no contact with her and never knows her.  This must happen and Episode III's story must unfold in such a way to allow it to and there is no reason it couldn't have.  It isn't like some events in I and II screwed that up.  He didn't do it because he's either a huge idiot or he is just too damn lazy to give enough of a **** to get his story straight until the movie was already done.

The "plausible explanation" is simply that the movie sucks and is broken.  Why should I force myself to buy a flimsy excuse?  I'll just do what is actually enjoyable - watch the original trilogy in their original versions and ignore anything else to do with Star Wars that came out after Episode I came out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »
Episode III is a good movie, I would rank it in the top 3 of the 7 Star Wars movies.

And there is plenty of plausible reasons for what happened.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:45:54 PM by TJ Spyke »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Now you are just trolling. Don't try to out SUPER, SUPER.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
Episode III is a good movie, I would rank it in the top 3 of the 7 Star Wars movies.

The movie where Darth Vader screams "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" after Padme LITERALLY dies from a broken heart and says to Anakin "you're breaking my heart" is a good movie?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
I didn't mind Jar Jar so much until I grew up. It was young Anikin in episode 1 that was just terrible. There was not one scene in the movie where his acting was genuine. Again I only noticed this as an Adult and understand partially why the prequels were hated so much.

I didn't realize the Leah and Padme plot hole though. That kind of crap is inexcusable and the reason why the only story I can believe in any more is the Walking Dead comics cause its still so short and One Piece because the author goes out of his way to make sure anything said or done by a character is absolute gospel even when he revisits a characters past 10 years later. Read One Piece.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
Episode I came out when I was in high school, and my parents forced me to come to the theater and watch it even though I really, really didn't want to. At the time, it was maybe the worst movie I had ever seen. Now I bet they wonder why I never call or write

So yeah, Episode I has a special place in my heart.