Author Topic: Wii U Possibly Launching on November 11  (Read 10319 times)

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Possibly Launching on November 11
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »

controllers? The supposed boxart seen at retailers say only the Wii U GamePad will be included, so no Wii Remote and no Wii U Pro Controller.

Just to clarify, by "standard controllers" I meant whatever ends up being their standard (which I still think will be the GamePad, Wii Remote Plus, and Nunchuk). My idea of "lite controllers" would probably consist of either just the GamePad and Wii Remote Plus (no Nunchuk), or possibly simply the GamePad and a Wii MotionPlus dongle. I don't expect any SKU to include the Pro Controller.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:44:19 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
Nintendo would be foolish not to include a Wiimote+ in every box. If they want it to be used, and considering their hard push towards asymmetrical gaming, then they have to include it - preferably with a nunchuck as well.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »
But at this point, most gamers probably have at least one Wii Remote or Wii RemotePlus already. I can see them wanting to keep cost down and just lower the price of the Wii RemotePlus.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
Your argument is flawed because you assume twice. One, that gamers will only be interested in the Wii U and two, that they owned a Wii. Keeping costs down is a terrible reason to assume.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
I remember when Motion+ was coming out and we figured that this was going to be the new standard way to control Wii games and Nintendo only made three games that required it.  We thought this would be a mandatory upgrade and Nintendo felt it should just be an optional accessory.  Has Nintendo stated that Motion+ is a requirement for the Wii U?  Obviously the plain remote is supported for backwards compatibility but do Wii U games require Motion+ or can games be made with just the normal remote?  Nintendo might not feel that Motion+ is mandatory for the Wii U.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
Well considering that Pikmin 3 was shown off with a Wiimote+ and a Gamepad for the users to choose, I think its pretty important.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
Well considering that Pikmin 3 was shown off with a Wiimote+ and a Gamepad for the users to choose, I think its pretty important.

But the GamePad was the default controller, and you shouldn't expect any Wii U games to have the Wii Remote be the default controller. The Wii Remote is no more vital than the Pro Controller is, and the Pro Controller can do everything it can. That is why I don't see the Wii Remote being bundled in, because it will not be REQUIRED to play any Wii U game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
The GamePad wasn't the default controller for Pikmin 3. The Nintendo people were clearly pushing the Remote/Nunchuk combo even before they dropped the GamePad option completely on the second day of the show. That game is built for the Wii remote, and that's the way Nintendo intends for people to play it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
They dropped the GamePad option during the show?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
But the GamePad was the default controller, and you shouldn't expect any Wii U games to have the Wii Remote be the default controller. The Wii Remote is no more vital than the Pro Controller is, and the Pro Controller can do everything it can. That is why I don't see the Wii Remote being bundled in, because it will not be REQUIRED to play any Wii U game.

You're definitely wrong here TJ... Insanolord already shot down your Pikmin 3 assertion, also if you look at a lot of the demonstrations Nintendo clearly DOES have intentions to make games that would apparently REQUIRE the Wii Remote (like that golf tee demonstration). They also showed off videos featuring the GamePad being propped up and used a secondary screen while the player used the Remote and Nunchuk.

In addition, Aonuma strongly suggested they'd likely be relying on the Remote again for the next Zelda. We also already know the new Just Dance game is going to rely on it too. The Remote is clearly very much as part of Nintendo's plans for the Wii U as the GamePad is. Besides, the first Wii was too much of a success to abandon its key innovation. Not retaining it as an integrated part of the system would be like releasing a version of the 3DS without the touch screen-- it would close too many possibilities and would be a step backwards.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:38:07 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »

They dropped the GamePad option during the show?

They didn't let you play it with the GamePad the second or third day of E3, is what I meant.  Most likely because it didn't work very well and they didn't want people getting a poor impression from that way. As far as I know the option will still be there in the final product, but everything I heard from the Nintendo reps was emphasizing the Remote/Nunchuk controls, even when they were still letting people use the GamePad.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
Bman, I am not wrong. No Wii U game we know of REQUIRES a Wii Remote. Maybe some games like Pikmin 3 play better with one, but you won't need one to ever play a Wii U game.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
The Tablet controller has built in motion control, so it does the same thing as a wiimote. Instead of waggling a remote, you waggle a tablet. Same thing basically.
is your sanity...

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
Bman, I am not wrong. No Wii U game we know of REQUIRES a Wii Remote. Maybe some games like Pikmin 3 play better with one, but you won't need one to ever play a Wii U game.

Then how exactly does the Just Dance game work without it? I'm pretty sure it IS required. Regardless, I actually meant you were wrong about the Wii Remote's relevance to the Wii U, not whether or not any games required it, so you are still wrong. Again, Nintendo has shown clear intent of uses that would require it, so there's more than enough reason to conclude they'd likely include one in at least one SKU, if not all of them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:57:02 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
Just Dance 4 has been confirmed to NOT require a Wii Remote. You can use the Wii Remote or the Wii U GamePad. So far the only use for the Wii Remote has been as an optional controller or for multiplayer. I wouldn't expect a Wii Remote to ever be bundled unless there is a game you literally can not play without one. Right now, every Wii U game announced can be played without needing a Wii Remote.

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
I've been hoping for multiple Wii U SKUs. I think this would be a great idea, if true.

Predictions:

$249 - Wii U + Controller
$299 - Wii U + Controller + Nintendo Land (eshop voucher)
$349 - Wii U + Controller + Nintendo Land (eshop voucher) + Wii U Pro Controller + $20 eshop voucher (good for 1 Gamecube game or a bunch of Virtual Console games)

I'm pretty positive on those first two. Things get real interesting at $349. Perhaps they'll opt to just include more storage space in the console. Extra Wii Mote(s)? New Super Mario Bros U?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 10:57:40 PM »
I am so glad that Nintendo copied adapted the Xbox 360's controller design for the Pro Controller. The Xbox 360 has one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, so it's nice to see that Nintendo apparently agrees.

Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »
I am so glad that Nintendo copied adapted the Xbox 360's controller design for the Pro Controller. The Xbox 360 has one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, so it's nice to see that Nintendo apparently agrees.

It might be comfortable to hold, but I have some concerns about shifting my right thumb back and forth from the diamond buttons and the right stick. It might be fine, but I've never used a controller with that sort of configuration so I'm not sure. We shall see in a couple months time.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
I love the Xbox 360 controller, very comfortable and easy to use. Probably one of the best controllers I have ever used and I am glad the Wii U Pro Controller essentially copied it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 11:33:09 PM »
I love the Xbox 360 controller, very comfortable and easy to use. Probably one of the best controllers I have ever used and I am glad the Wii U Pro Controller essentially copied it.

Nintendo copied the design, but not the button layout. It will be comfortable for your hands, but it might not be so comfortable for your thumbs.
is your sanity...

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
Just Dance 4 has been confirmed to NOT require a Wii Remote. You can use the Wii Remote or the Wii U GamePad. So far the only use for the Wii Remote has been as an optional controller or for multiplayer. I wouldn't expect a Wii Remote to ever be bundled unless there is a game you literally can not play without one. Right now, every Wii U game announced can be played without needing a Wii Remote.

The problem with that reasoning is that it's only factoring games developed prior to launch. No game currently requiring it hardly indicates any less likelihood of its standardization-- simply that the final package was still being determined during game development and there was always a possibility they might have to leave it out it. But as I've already repeatedly pointed out, Nintendo clearly has intentions for uses that would require it, therefore there's a high probability one will be included just to keep it standardized.

That's not to say it's 100% certain they will pack one-in every/any box. After all, it is pretty safe to assume that virtually all 3rd-party developers will focus on GamePad-based controls automatically anyway, so games requiring the Remote would mostly be published by Nintendo themselves who certainly aren't above packaging a Wii Remote Plus with each game that would need it. But at the same time, when factoring other things like eShop distribution, games that would also require the Nunchuk (which would be expensive to bundle with a game and Remote), and keeping 3rd-parties' options open, it makes a lot of sense to expect they'd make the extra effort to include one standard. So, the assumption that it's not needed is far from safe, that's my point. But only time will tell for sure.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:01:21 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
Look at the classic controller closely. I don't know if the 360 controller design was the goal or the coincidental outcome of sticking 2 nunchaks together.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn