Author Topic: Wind Waker tech tricks  (Read 4296 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Wind Waker tech tricks
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104415

Kotaku just posted this and I figured I'd pass it along here. This is a look at some of the techniques Wind Waker used to look so damn pretty. I don't know the first thing about any of this stuff, but it would appear the game was graphically ahead of its time. Anyway, I thought it was cool.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wind Waker tech tricks
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
That was great. Nintendo are the masters.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
What was interesting was that most of the "tricks" listed weren't tricks at all -- the GameCube was simply powerful enough to do the big calculations, and Nintendo was able to make it work.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
And people say Nintendo isn't ready for HD development... they've been ready for 9 years!  :P: :

Wind Waker is still the best looking game I've ever played.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
And people say Nintendo isn't ready for HD development... they've been ready for 9 years!  :P: :

I'm guessing you are a Nintendo only gamer?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
There are more realistic-looking games, but I'd probably agree that Wind Waker (if you run it through Dolphin at 1080p at least) is the best looking game ever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »
Windwaker don't crack!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:54:30 AM »
I think Skyward Sword would beat it in overall graphical mastery if in dolphin in 1080p, but nothing beats charm.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Anth0ny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »
And people say Nintendo isn't ready for HD development... they've been ready for 9 years!  :P: : :

Nope. I've always been a multi-console owner, and nothing has come close to Wind Waker's beauty.

Okay, maybe Journey. But that's it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
And people say Nintendo isn't ready for HD development... they've been ready for 9 years!  :P: : :

Nope. I've always been a multi-console owner, and nothing has come close to Wind Waker's beauty.

Interesting.  Have you played WW on the Dolphin emulator?  I've heard it looks pretty good on that.

My personal favorite looking game is FFXIII.  Everything just looked pretty to me and looking at the scenery in the game gave me a sense of calm.  I always thought WW looked great, but felt there were too many flat colors.  If they were to make WW on the Wii U now without ever having made it on the cube, I think it would definitely rival anything out there.  For what it is, it probably was the most beautiful game of its time though.

That's why everyone has their own opinion and their own preferences on art style. :)

Offline Anth0ny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »
And people say Nintendo isn't ready for HD development... they've been ready for 9 years!  :P: : : :

Interesting.  Have you played WW on the Dolphin emulator?  I've heard it looks pretty good on that.

My personal favorite looking game is FFXIII.  Everything just looked pretty to me and looking at the scenery in the game gave me a sense of calm.  I always thought WW looked great, but felt there were too many flat colors.  If they were to make WW on the Wii U now without ever having made it on the cube, I think it would definitely rival anything out there.  For what it is, it probably was the most beautiful game of its time though.

That's why everyone has their own opinion and their own preferences on art style. :)

I have indeed played it on Dolphin. Only one word to describe it: Sublime. If your PC is strong enough, I highly recommend giving it a play. Certain games like Wind Waker, the Galaxies and Smash Bros Brawl look like totally different games running in that emulator. Mind boggling to say the least.

It would be a crime against humanity if Nintendo doesn't release a Wind Waker HD Remaster for the Wii U.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
It'd be pretty awesome if something similar to the Dolphin emulator ran Wii games on the Wii U.  Plus any VC GCN games could be run the same way.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »
Nintendo doesn't need to necessarily have any HD remakes - they just need to use hardware acceleration and be able to run VC GameCube and BC Wii games in 1080p. If you haven't seen what Wii games (and some GCN games) *could* look like simply running at 1080p, you seriously need to check it out. They don't all of the sudden look like Crysis or anything, but it's a huge, huge difference over 480p.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 11:27:27 PM »
This is Nintendo, though. Do you really think they're going to put in that kind of effort for standard VC and backward compatibility when they could get away with charging a lot more for the HD version?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »
Well, N64 games are bumped to 480p at least, so I do have a little hope. It would certainly be cheaper for them to do it this way as well.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »
According to an article at 1-Up, it looks like Reggie announced that it'll be like the Wii with GC games.  The system will run like a Wii when a Wii game is in there. Obviously, the output will be 1080p, but not actual upgrade like what the Dolphin emulator does.