Author Topic: What game series do you think won't be coming to the Wii U?  (Read 18704 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
So, I'm pretty much a one-console sort of guy. I have this hang-up about spending money buying more hardware when I can get tons of software for what I already own instead. So I've had to live with not getting certain big exciting games from third parties since I'm at the same time also a Nintendo gamer (and my PC is in desperate need of an upgrade right now).

That's fine, but what game series/examples do you see not coming to the Wii U going forward? It's sort of the unspoken price of going 1-console-only and Nintendo, I thought I'd ask it out loud.

For example, I DO expect to get CoD games. Heaven help Reggie if I don't! *shakes fist* I also still hold out some (foolhardy) hope for GTA 5 and Final Fantasy...

But I DON'T expect to get BioShock, nor Fallout, nor Oblivion. I'm not holding my breath for Lollipop Chainsaw, or Watchdogs, or any future Valve games (like Portal).

Anyone care to help me tally up a list of games I might have to resign myself to not be playing this gen?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: What game series do you think won't be coming to the Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:51 AM »
I think it would be easier to compile a list of games the Wii U WILL be getting versus a list of games it won't. Basically, the list of games the Wii U won't be getting is every game ever made minus the ones it does get.

At this point we only know the launch titles anyway (plus some that will come soon after). Our knowledge is very limited so any list isn't going to be very accurate at all.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:35:46 AM »
This depends a lot on when Microsoft and Sony end up launching their next consoles and how big the difference between them and the Wii U are. Really, as long as the PS3 and 360 continue to see support, which should extend well beyond the launches of their successors, the Wii U will likely get most of those games as well as long as it sells decently. After that, it depends on the user base and the scalability of the tech the game uses.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »
If the Wii U is closer to the PS360 than the PS420 then it might actually help to extend the life span of the PS360. PS420 development might end up being very costly, or maybe the consoles will see slow growth due to cost or whatever so game developers may choose to stay where they are, and maybe the games the PS420 does get for the most part may just be the same game more or less that the Wii U gets.

That's how it was during the PS2 era where development was centered on the PS2, and then if those games ended up ported to the GC or Xbox they tended to just be ported as they were rather than enhanced to take advantage of those system's greater power.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
i hope im wrong
but

Grand Theft Auto
Final Fantasy Main Series
new Metal Gear games that are not remakes

but here are the games that seem more likely to join the Nintendo world thanks to recent developments
Grand Theft Auto
Final Fantasy Main Series
new Metal Gear games that are not remakes
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:10:29 AM »
I think Battlefield 3 probably won't be coming to WiiU. If it was going to EA probably would have announced it at E3. That said, I think it would have made a lot more sense than the ME3 game they DID announce.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
EA didn't announce anything for Wii U. Mass Effect was in Nintendo's sizzle reel, but no one in the EA booth was willing to say anything about the game beyond the fact it exists. EA is going to do their Wii U announcements at a later date, based on every conversation I had at the show with anybody working for EA. Whether that will go beyond Mass Effect, Madden and FIFA I don't know, but you shouldn't assume EA isn't doing anything until their event happens.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:09 AM »
I'm actually going to be bold here and select a Nintendo game. I don't think we'll be getting Mother 4. I know that sounds crazy, but I just get this feeling.
Gouge away.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 01:46:19 AM »
EA wants to talk about Origin on Wii U?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »
I'm actually going to be bold here and select a Nintendo game. I don't think we'll be getting Mother 4. I know that sounds crazy, but I just get this feeling.

well didnt people at Nintendo say something to that extant?  dont remember who, but i do recall someone saying the series was so old/obscure they were debating on whether to keep putting Ness in. Which is silly to me, i think of smash bros as a billboard telling us what games we should nerd out over. They could use Smash to reinvigorate all sorts of characters. I never played mach rider till smash bros, and now i have this crazy version of it in my head that should exist someday.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:01 AM »
Nintendo has basically said that they will not continue the Mother series without Itoi, who has said he has no plans to continue the series. So unless Itoi decides to make another game (which I doubt since I think I read that he had to be dragged back to finish Mother 3) the series is dead. As I understand Itoi was burned by the development cycle during Mother 3 which started as a 64 game. According to Wikipedia he has no reluctance for someone else to continue the series so I guess it's up for Nintendo to find someone to make Mother 4.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:26:28 AM »
Oh god I didn't even think about Mother 4. T-T

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 03:34:06 AM »
Old third party titles will be sold on the Wii U eShop to help the Nintendo fans play catchup with eveyone else.  I do not see  Gears of War, or any other Epic titile, ever being on the Wii U. Also, while there is a good chance of GTA V being on the Wii U, I am still on the fence as to whether it will make it or not. Most of the Japanese third party titles will be on the Wii U though.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 03:58:03 AM »
Old third party titles will be sold on the Wii U eShop to help the Nintendo fans play catchup with eveyone else.

No they won't. That would be a waste of resources. If you want those games, buy a PS3 or 360; they are definitely worth it in terms of exclusives.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:46:46 AM »
Old third party titles will be sold on the Wii U eShop to help the Nintendo fans play catchup with eveyone else.

No they won't. That would be a waste of resources. If you want those games, buy a PS3 or 360; they are definitely worth it in terms of exclusives.

I think you are both half right. I don't think every third party game will show up on the eShop, but at the same time there's not going to be none at all either. The answer is somewhere in the middle: there will be some. Exactly how many that will be is impossible to predict.

And as far as it being a "waste of resources", its not... companies like EA are notorious for milking their games to death over as many platforms as possible. I think the fact they are bringing ME3 to the Wii U is solid evidence the same is going to happen with other games over the eShop.

It also helps that the WiiU architecture is so similar to that of the 360. This will making porting the old games over easy and inexpensive. I don't know what it costs, but if there is a profit to be made it will be done.

Why buy a $249.99 PS3 or $149.99 360 (plus a hard drive) to play these exclusives if they are coming to the WiiU anyway? Many people only own one console, so having these games come to the Wii U would be a great opportunity for them to catch up on these that they missed by only owning a Wii these last 6 years.

Since this is a Nintendo fan site I don't think anyone (that should go double for the Staff, btw) should be telling people "the Wii U is not for you", or "buy a PS360 instead". If you can get all your gaming needs done on one system then its better that it be a Nintendo system.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:56:00 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »
Why not just buy an Xbox 360 or PS3?  Should be cheaper (you can find them on craigslist for $100-150 for xbox 360) and $150=200 for PS3) than buying an WII U at launch and the games are that much cheaper...plenty of greatest hits to last you an while.
-----------------------
In the past, late ports never sell all that well.  Hense why you don't see to many of them porting over to the WII U.  For one thing you're trying to repackaged the same game, all the hype and word of mouth has already died down. 
As for eshop that only applies to people who have bandwidth and bothered to hook up the console?  Meaning if the publisher goes straight to eshop they are limiting themselves to less than 1/3rd of the console userbase. 

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:22:17 AM by Ymeegod »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »
I understand that it costs money to publish a game and manufacture the discs and all that, and then ship it off to retailers, but the eShop eliminates 99% of that cost. Sure, you have to port the game to be able to run on the hardware (and on the Wii U that should be easy due to sharing the same architecture), but once you have the port ready it costs you virtually nothing to upload it onto the eShop. You don't have to spend money on the manufacturing of discs, or anything like that. You just upload it once to the server, and that's it... then it just prints money for you from then on out.

All companies are interested in making a profit, and if they can make a quick and easy buck by uploading last gen titles on the eShop why the hell not? They might not sell all that well because they're old games, but here's the part you need to understand: they don't need to sell well! The only cost is the minimal cost of porting and tossing it on to the eshop. The game is already made, and you don't need to open up a production line in a factory to make discs or anything like that. It couldn't be any cheaper, so why the hell not?
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
Unless the WII U is open, you'll going be paying Nintendo for royalities and server fees.  Can't recall the developer but you hear about the issues with XBLA, after paying all the fees the publisher really doesn't make all that much. 

Of course that would change if Nintendo had an open system where developers could host their own marketplace but right now the WII U is an closed system as far as I can tell.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
Pay full price for GTA V on the Wii U and get a download code for La Noire or Red Dead Redemption Game Pad edition for $14.99. By allowing older games onto the eShop you open up its library to thousands of quality titles. Also, it would help attract new customers to buy the newer games already on the eShop such as what is developed by indie developers.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
The eShop doesn't eliminate the cost of actually porting the game, which is not insignificant even if it's barebones. It is most likely not worth it to the developer to spend the time and money for such a small payoff. I don't want these companies to be wasting studios that could be working on actual new content on bullshit like that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
I dont think Mystique's Custard's Revenge will be coming to Wii U

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »

It won't come to any console because no console manufacturer allows for AO rated games, and AO is definitely the rating Custer's Revenge would be assigned by the ESRB.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:15 PM »
I guess I can add Dead Space to my list.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
I guess I can add Dead Space to my list.
That doesn't mean it's not coming.  Maybe they will test the market with a port of 1 & 2 together (possibly with the HD upgrade of Extraction as well) before putting resources to porting it to the Wii U. 

Right now, the only games I can guarantee won't be coming to the Wii U are Sony and M$ first party titles and Mass Effect 1.  Everything else is up for grabs at this point regardless of what developers are saying.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »

It won't come to any console because no console manufacturer allows for AO rated games, and AO is definitely the rating Custer's Revenge would be assigned by the ESRB.

well yeah that was the point, and also Mystique is very very out of business.

I wonder if we'll get Q-bert? When i was in 7th grade i used to draw Q-bert fan art as if Q-bert would make a comeback for n64, while i doubt they'll make a new Q-bert did it ever show up on Virtual Console on Wii? and/or will it show up on Wii U?