Author Topic: Kid Icarus: Uprising AR Cards Available Only at Special Events  (Read 15180 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network

The hundreds of cards will be tough to collect.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29472

AR cards for Kid Icarus: Uprising will have limited distribution, according to a Nintendo representative at GDC.

Most cards will be available only through events, such as GDC, as well as tournaments. Some cards may be packed in with magazines, such as the latest edition of Game Informer, which included a "Power of Flight" card. The game also includes six cards to start with. As of now, Nintendo does not have plans to sell the cards at retail.

The first set of tournaments begins this week, starting at a GameStop in San Francisco on Thursday. The tournament continues in Orlando, Florida on March 11, Los Angeles on March 15, and New York City on March 22. Winners from each regional competition will fly to New York for a final tournament. There is no word on future tournaments, though they will be announced on the Kid Icarus: Uprising website if there are any.

AR cards unlock idols (moving trophies) and hearts (currency) in Kid Icarus: Uprising. In addition to displaying the idol, viewing an individual card shows information about the character or item on the card. Placing two cards head-to-head will pit them against each other in battle, where their stats affect the outcome. The battles are non-interactive.

The limited distribution of cards are meant to encourage trading. The idols are stored in the game's "Vault," so even if players are unwilling to trade, friends can still scan in the cards in an effort to complete their digital collection.

While Nintendo has not been specific as to the total number of cards, noting that there are "hundreds" in "Series 1," the serial numbers found on each card indicate that there are at least 336. The cards appear to cover every character, weapon, item, and ability in Kid Icarus: Uprising, no matter its significance. Starter sets given away at GDC come in random packs of 10. The AR coding allows for up to 14,348,907 different cards, so it won't be easy to generate your own.

Kid Icarus: Uprising launches on March 23 in North America.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: Kid Icarus: Uprising AR Cards Available Only at Special Events
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
Seems that Nintendo is really serious about the online/local multiplayer aspect of this game. I'm jazzed. Can't wait for the end of the month to play.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
I think it's BS when cards are given out only at events like GDC and E3 because it means the company is giving a big "**** you" to anyone not attending. Same with tournaments. These exclusive cards will cause most people to not have a chance to get them (even with the trading/scanning). At least the ones packed with magazines are more attainable.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:41:23 AM »
If the cards are region-free (and why shouldn't they be!?) the Japan crew might have to start buying/selling the chocolates that come packed with an AR card.
$15 a card sounds reasonable right?  :P:
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »
Okay, 2 thoughts: 

1.  Will anyone buy these when they start going up on ebay for $500 a piece?

2.  I'm in LA, and it says they're having a tournament here next week on the 15th.  BUT the game doesn't come out until the following week on the 23rd.   I don't get it.  Is the tournament going to be a bunch of people who've never played the game, playing it competitively?   I mean, there isn't even a demo or anything out there, so unless you played it at E3 or something (I did not), then what's the point? 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »
If the cards are region-free (and why shouldn't they be!?) the Japan crew might have to start buying/selling the chocolates that come packed with an AR card.
$15 a card sounds reasonable right?  :P: : :

Even if they're region free, they'll be like playing the pokemon card game with japanese cards.  They'll still have japanese text.  I'd also assume that unlike the japanese pokemon cards, they'll probably be LESS valuable than the US counterparts this time around due to availability.

I was totally thinking of going out and buying a binder and collecting them all like baseball/basketball cards, but alas, it seems it will be in vain.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »
I'll still be collecting them... :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
Who are we kidding.  The AR Cards are in there for the Japanese market.  I bet we won't even see them released in the west beyond the pack ins.
Well, the US website says they are planning card meet-ups.
I'm not to surprised to hear that.  Great Special event.  Still don't see the ability to buy the cards in packs.

Boy that was a fun to find.  Couldn't find it with the Forum search.  Had to go to the article -> Go to Kid Icarus page and find the story I was thinking of -> Quote -> Profit
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
The sad thing is, I was aware of this being a strong possibility for awhile.

I was under the impression, after speaking with some folks, that Nintendo had planned to do this in the US.  It sucks. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »
That is weird to have tournaments before the game is released.  Though I seriously doubt I will ever be able to participate in any simply because even though I live by one of the bigger cities in the South no one comes here.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:01 AM »
I think it's BS when cards are given out only at events like GDC and E3 because it means the company is giving a big "**** you" to anyone not attending. Same with tournaments. These exclusive cards will cause most people to not have a chance to get them (even with the trading/scanning). At least the ones packed with magazines are more attainable.

Um, it's pretty obvious to me why they're doing it this way... Maybe you haven't heard of a thing known as the Internet (you're actually using it right now!). They'll be simply be introduced at these special events, and as soon as they are, they'll become easily attainable to anyone via the web and anyone with a color printer will be able to print them out.

Why else do you think they aren't selling them?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:54:40 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »

Um, it's pretty obvious to me why they're doing it this way... Maybe you haven't heard of a thing known as the Internet (you're actually using it right now!). All the cards will become easily attainable to anyone via the web and anyone with a color printer will be able to print them out. Why else do you think they aren't selling them?

You could say that about any trading cards though - why bother selling any of them at retail?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
GameStop ran Brawl tournaments the night before it came out. At that point, no one had played it yet. I recall just bombing in it because I wanted to try Meta Knight.

I see the PR logic behind the pre-release tournaments. It makes it more exciting and appealing, because it is an unreleased game. Unfortunately, it's a mildly obtuse new game (as opposed to Brawl, which was a sequel to a pre-existing game in the same genre).

If anyone's going to the NYC finale, I'll probably attend. I've got to gets me some cards for either my own machinations or to give out to you fine folks.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
Feel free to get me some. :D

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »

Um, it's pretty obvious to me why they're doing it this way... Maybe you haven't heard of a thing known as the Internet (you're actually using it right now!). All the cards will become easily attainable to anyone via the web and anyone with a color printer will be able to print them out. Why else do you think they aren't selling them?

You could say that about any trading cards though - why bother selling any of them at retail?

Because the purpose of those cards are physical value- they're specifically printed on special material, and often have holograms, etc. to prove their authenticity. These cards, are just for distributing AR images to scanned to unlock bonuses in games. Take a look at the ones that were included with your 3DS, they're printed on cheap, one-sided paper and are clearly intended to be duplicated.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:39:29 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Not sure what to think about this.  I really dislike AR gaming, and have been on the fence about Kid Icarus.  Not having the actual cards available doesn't much matter to me... but making them rare collector's items (even if it's an item I'm not particularly keen on and that functionally can be replicated by printing out an image from the internet) seems kind of asinine.

Reminds me of the original Animal Crossing cards that had very limited distribution (both location and time) here in North America.  Trying to collect them was a pain, and now I've got a small set that will never be complete.  At least I have the rare NES unlock for Mario Bros.  If Nintendo really wants to impress me, add a decoder feature to the 3DS Animal Crossing that makes the cards worth owning again.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:43:24 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Uh, this sounds like it could be a downfall for the much anticipated title. If the cards aren't purchasable, then that defeats the point of having the AR technology utilized. This would defeat the purpose of purchasing booster packs (or however they would be sold) and the excitement one feels not knowing just exactly what they are going to get. Not everyone can attend special events and whatnot....

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
Not sure what to think about this.  I really dislike AR gaming, and have been on the fence about Kid Icarus.  Not having the actual cards available doesn't much matter to me... but making them rare collector's items (even if it's an item I'm not particularly keen on and that functionally can be replicated by printing out an image from the internet) seems kind of asinine.

Reminds me of the original Animal Crossing cards that had very limited distribution (both location and time) here in North America.  Trying to collect them was a pain, and now I've got a small set that will never be complete.  At least I have the rare NES unlock for Mario Bros.  If Nintendo really wants to impress me, add a decoder feature to the 3DS Animal Crossing that makes the cards worth owning again.

Um, who says they're making them rare collector's items in the first place? The very fact that they can be easily reproduced means they won't be... Not to mention they're distributing them for free. Judging by previous AR cards Nintendo's produced, the cards themselves will be cheap, one-sided paper with no physical value. Sure, they'll be introducing some cards 'exclusively' at these special events, but that's just for PR purposes. The physical paper will be WORTHLESS (unless maybe if you were to get them signed by Nintendo staffers to make them a one-of-a-kind collectable). The only purpose is to get the AR images out out to the public via pseudo viral distribution, basically creating an illusion of exclusivity, even though they're fully intended to be widely circulated via the Internet.

Remember, the e-Reader cards were FOR SALE, and weren't easily reproduced-- comparing these to them is like apples and oranges.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
Uh, this sounds like it could be a downfall for the much anticipated title. If the cards aren't purchasable, then that defeats the point of having the AR technology utilized. This would defeat the purpose of purchasing booster packs (or however they would be sold) and the excitement one feels not knowing just exactly what they are going to get. Not everyone can attend special events and whatnot....

It seriously frightens me how many people aren't figuring out the obvious...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
I love how these AR cards will contribute to the downfall of this game. It's a bonus mode!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »

Um... What's so obvious? I'm simply stating my opinion about how the AR cards should be distributed and why I think this choice from Nintendo is potentially detrimental to how consumers will appreciate the game. I personally would have found it rather enjoyable to go out and buy little mystery packs of cards at Gamestop or whatever other retail that caters to the gaming community and collected the cards over time. We're talking over 300 cards. I support the trading aspect (which would especially be useful in the event one had multiples of certain cards), but how many people that get the cards from special events are likely to come into contact with others around the country/world whom are seeking the cards?

There's really no need for the snide remarks.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »

Um... What's so obvious? I'm simply stating my opinion about how the AR cards should be distributed and why I think this choice from Nintendo is potentially detrimental to how consumers will appreciate the game. I personally would have found it rather enjoyable to go out and buy little mystery packs of cards at Gamestop or whatever other retail that caters to the gaming community and collected the cards over time. We're talking over 300 cards. I support the trading aspect (which would especially be useful in the event one had multiples of certain cards), but how many people that get the cards from special events are likely to come into contact with others around the country/world whom are seeking the cards?

Here's the obvious: It's not about the physical cards, it's about the AR images on them which are easily duplicated and shared via digital media. Nintendo is counting on the images circulating around the Internet and that's their distribution plan. They already did the same thing with the QR codes for 3D Pokédex. That's why they're not selling them-- they'll easily be traded across the world for free, and since there will be so many, no one will have them all.

Aside from being fairly easily to figure out, this fact has already been pointed out multiple times in earlier posts this very thread already. So, you're not going to get any apology from me for my "snide remark".
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:30:50 PM by Bman87301 »

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »

Here's the obvious: It's not about the physical cards, it's about the AR images on them which are easily duplicated and shared via digital media. Nintendo is counting on the images circulating around the Internet and that's their distribution plan. They already did the same thing with the QR codes for 3D Pokédex. That's why they're not selling them-- they'll easily be traded across the world for free, and since there will be so many, no one will have them all.

"The AR coding allows for up to 14,348,907 different cards, so it won't be easy to generate your own." So what does this mean then?

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »

"The AR coding allows for up to 14,348,907 different cards, so it won't be easy to generate your own." So what does this mean then?

It means this:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:39:42 PM by Bman87301 »

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »

It means this:

And this still fails to make sense. Why bother to hype up the cards only to limit their distribution? It seems rather pointless to rely solely on digital media transference for the AR between players. If that were truly the intent, what purpose does it serve to have the cards in the first place? And did it not state that on the official site that the AR cards need to be physically before the 3DS, face to face, to partake in the card battles?

And, FYI, I wasn't requesting any apology. I simply wished to not be put down for my opinions and have a potentially decent discussion with one I could only hope is of intelligible mindset.