Author Topic: FF:CC needs more than one GBA?  (Read 27718 times)

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
FF:CC needs more than one GBA?
« on: May 08, 2003, 08:34:18 PM »
Please tell me this won't be the case, I really would like this game. But problem is I only have one GBA and 3 GC controllers. is there an option for other players to use the GC contorller?

I hope they add it in, 3 or 4 GBA's is too much to expect most people to have, especially in my case. That's a really expensive controller if that's the case. And another problem is battery consumption unless you have an GBA SP, I hope more info comes out and hope they have an option were GC's controllers can be used instead of the GBA.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 08:36:11 PM »
You could probably use a standard controller, but you'd be at a SERIOUS disadvantage.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
RE: FF:CC needs more than one GBA?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 08:46:38 PM »
Not really rick I'll use the GBA but I would like to play with four players, and I would like the GC controllers as there's noway I could get 3 GBA's, that becomes a problem.

Do you know anything Rick? So in theory one person can use the GBA as a controller and what not and the other players can use the GC controllers?

Also when people are playing with you in the overworld, can other players wonder off? or do they follow whom ever the leader is?

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline Mr_Denim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 08:49:05 PM »
This game has been removed from my 'to buy' list. If I must needs purchase another GBA or more to enjoy mulitplayer that's an investment I'm not willing to make and I am neither pleased nor impressed with either company for this 'little' devlopment in gameplay.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 08:57:41 PM »
Damn this game looks sweet.  I have been REALLY nervous about this game since I have hated almost all of Square's recent games, with the exception of Vagrant Story (and that's not all that recent anymore).  (I haven't tried FFX or Kingdom Hearts though).  The thing that did it for me was this line.

Shigeru Miyamoto has been keeping an eye on this project and has offered plenty of advice for the development team, although Final Fantasy¡¯s legendary creator Sakaguchi-san has yet to really see the game for himself.

That's totally freaking awesome.

However, in a nod to Square¡¯s classic Chrono Trigger, players can combine their attacks and magic to form combo attacks¡­perhaps even pooling the actions of all four players into one giant ¡°Quadruple Tech¡±.

This is also totally freaking awesomely radical.  Something I hated about Chrono Cross was that combo techs were dropped almost completely.  I am VERY happy to see it return.

All of the cinema scenes are presented in real-time¡­there are no FMV sequences, as have become practically synonymous with the Final Fantasy series since its move to disc-based systems.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!  I think I might have an orgasm right here and now!

With a completely new action based system and very little in common with the Final Fantasy series,

*lights up a cigarette*
Fan-freaking-tastic.

This game just rose to my #2 most wanted GameCube game.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 09:02:36 PM »
Mine too Grey Ninja, but I will only get it if haveing more than one GBA isn't necessary. This game is sweet from the looks and sound of it. It surely beats FFXI.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 09:08:23 PM »
Well, there were a few disturbing things about the game, but I thought the good far outbalanced the bad.  Besides, I am likely to play it alone anyways, so I don't really NEED multiple GBAs.  I might be able to convince some friends to buy one though.  

In another odd twist, the GameCube controller can be used if just one player is on the quest, but with multiple players, everyone must use a Game Boy Advance.

I'll be using my GBA thank you very much.  The other ports will likely remain open.

producer Akitoshi Kawazu, who has previously worked on the SaGa and Seiken Densetsu series.

I hated SaGa.  I liked the earlier Seiken Densetsu games though, so it balances out.

and in an effort to make players identify with their characters, you are able to choose from a variety of characters, and even specify a gender.

This worries me.  It indicates that the game might not have much character development at all.  The story looks pretty solid though, so I hope it's enough to keep the game from being boring.  I am thinking mainly of Seiken Densetsu 3 here.  The game allowed a great deal of this sort of customization, but the story kind of fell flat with me, as it was a little *too* dynamic.  I prefered the more linear Secret of Mana.

But I have yet to see that part of the game, so it's just a small worry at this point.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 09:13:47 PM »
The thing is, I think Square and Nintendo expect each player to bring their own GBA's.
After all, no one is going to expect someone to buy 4 of the same consoles so their friends can play.
And besides, don't the other people you are going to play with have GBA's?
And you can play by yourself too...

Offline John Squire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 09:31:59 PM »
I was very excited about this game as I am a very big fan of Secret of Mana.  However, this gba requirement for multiplayer has changed my mind.  I hope this game sells like sh*t.  (yes, I am very angry).  And no, I don't have 3 friends with GBA's.  

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 09:33:53 PM »
It just sucks, I don't know anyone with a GBA, and I'm the only one in my family with one. If I wanted to play with other people, Which I would. I wouldn't want to get another GBA just to play co-op.

I was hoping the GC controllers would suffice.

There better be something on this ay E3 or I'm gonna be dissappointed.

Offline MutFox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2003, 12:04:10 AM »
I just hope you can play Multiplayer with Standard GC Controllers.
This game has been high on my List of games to buy, just because I miss Multiplayer games.
And if it requires all players to have GBA's I'm gonna be peeved.
Cause I don't own a GBA and I really don't need one at the moment.

If I can't play this game Multiplayer with GC Controllers, I'm not getting it...
Oh well there is Always TMNT.
-=MutFox=-

Offline MutFox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2003, 01:50:30 AM »
And by Multiplayer, I mean Co-op.
I really miss Co-op games for the Console.
-=MutFox=-

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2003, 02:27:40 AM »
start hitting Ebay and second hand stores for used GBA's
me on the other hand, i have 2 gbas and no friends

seriously :\

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 03:20:44 AM »
I read the Q & A over at IGN and I didn't see any mention of requiring multiple GBAs to play the game. What he DID say, though, was that if you wanted to play the multiplayer mode, you'd have to use a GBA rather than a Gamecube controller. So it's not like you have to own more than one GBA.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 05:08:44 AM »
Exactly mouse-clicker.

I'm still excited by the game. I'm not likely play multiplayer anyway so that will not be a problem. However, I don't think the ball was dropped the ball with the multiplayer. I haven't played PSO multiplayer so I don't know how that game deals with stats and stuff, but I can imagine that this idea is bit more practical.

There is still development time, so if there are enough cries, I'm guessing Square will throw in a GC controller option.  

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2003, 06:38:11 AM »
I figure that, if anything, you'd have to get the GBA-GCN connectors because some people that own a GBA might not have a GameCube, and therefore not the connector.  Either way, FF:CC sounds like a great game so far and, being that I've been an FF fanatic since FF for the NES, I'll definately be getting it.
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2003, 07:20:37 AM »
"I figure that, if anything, you'd have to get the GBA-GCN connectors because some people that own a GBA might not have a GameCube, and therefore not the connector."

Great point.  My brother and I each have a GBA but we only have one GBA/GC Link Cable and it kind of sucks if I have to buy another one just for one game.  And what the hell is the GBA even used for in this game?  So far it sounds like it's used entirely for "secret info" or something like that.  What they hell do you need "secret info" for a CO-OP game?!  I'm beginning to get the feeling that the whole GBA/GC link up feature in this game is tacked on in order to fulfill an agreement between Nintendo and Square and realistically isn't required for the game's design.  Either that it's it one of those nifty ideas in theory that doesn't work well in reality.  Seriously in a co-op game what do you have to keep private?

The more I find out about this game the more average it seems to look.  I really hope I'm just mistaken and it'll be a huge hit at E3.

One thing I do like though is that it seems to focus on gameplay more than story.  Too many of Square's games focus too much on story and as a result are boring as hell.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2003, 07:26:15 AM »
I know exactly zero people with GBAs. But then, I also know about zero people who would want to play that with me.
If those GBAs are used to hide info, I hope for hidden attributes as well (like "reduces luck of all other party members by 1"). But I wonder how coop will work when you cannot trust your neighbour and everyone wants those dropped items? And will the GC controllers be used to their full potential or be restricted to the level of the GBA?

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2003, 07:36:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey NinjaDamn this game looks sweet.  I have been REALLY nervous about this game since I have hated almost all of Square's recent games, with the exception of Vagrant Story (and that's not all that recent anymore).  (I haven't tried FFX or Kingdom Hearts though).  The thing that did it for me was this line.

You really don't want to try Kingdom Hearts.

Shigeru Miyamoto has been keeping an eye on this project and has offered plenty of advice for the development team, although Final Fantasy¡¯s legendary creator Sakaguchi-san has yet to really see the game for himself.

That's totally freaking awesome.

Uh, not really, I doubt he's doing that much.

All of the cinema scenes are presented in real-time¡­there are no FMV sequences, as have become practically synonymous with the Final Fantasy series since its move to disc-based systems.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!  I think I might have an orgasm right here and now!

uh... fmv looks a lot nicer so I'd rather have FMV. OMFG IT'S A MOVIE IF IT'S NOT REAL TIME!!!!!!!11111111111 What's so terrible about FMV? I don't care whether it has fmv or not but hating FMV just because it's FMV is dumb.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2003, 08:30:20 AM »
Rick can you clear this up for us? If we wanted up to 3 or 4 players in the game, is it necessary to have GBA's in every controller slot?

If that's the case that's stupid, It's a niffty feature at best but as I've started I only have one GBA, the only goodthing about that is if I could use the GBA as a controller which would give me the ability to have 4 controllers "one GBA" "3 GC controller" Assuming this configuration works.

That I wouldn't mind, I just would like other people to jump in and play without a need for a gba.

If the GBA isn't required for every player to have than that would be fine with me. I hope at E3 Square-Enix will reveal more about this setup.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2003, 08:48:59 AM »
"What's so terrible about FMV?"

Sounds like it would be a big problem with this game because of how customizable the gameplay is. The cut-scenes will presumably have to be different depending on the number of players, the characters chosen, etc...
FMV just wouldn't work for that. Square would have to make many different version of each FMV to reflect all the different gameplay scenereos. Real-time cut-scenes are just the obvious choice for a game like this.

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2003, 09:52:20 AM »
yes, but it's not like we should throw a party because there isn't any fmv.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2003, 10:34:52 AM »
Three things:
1) Sakaguchi isn't involved? WTF?
2) Why doesn't he want to try Kingdom Hearts. It's fun.
3) I think a game that needs even ONE £70 controller is bad enough, but FOUR?
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2003, 10:46:45 AM »
i think youll be able to use all your controllers...but it probably rocks more to go into menus and stuff whiel your playign rather then to stop and go int o a menu. or maybe at least one player in your party needs to play with a gba.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2003, 11:47:53 AM »
I bet we will find out about the GBA issue at E3.  To me it is a serious letdown.
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta