Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 414459 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 - Officially Under Development (2014 release?)
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
They don't do it on the PS3, so they probably won't on the 4. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2011, 07:53:31 PM »
It's a cost issue on the PS3. If they design their hardware better next time around, it shouldn't be an issue. Also, I think BC is a lot more important to the PS4 than it was to the PS3. I doubt Sony will be selling 100,000 PS3s a month well past the launch of the PS4 the way they did PS2s after the PS3.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
It's a cost issue on the PS3. If they design their hardware better next time around, it shouldn't be an issue. Also, I think BC is a lot more important to the PS4 than it was to the PS3. I doubt Sony will be selling 100,000 PS3s a month well past the launch of the PS4 the way they did PS2s after the PS3.
I think that 100,000 number is a big reason they should have been more Pro-active with BC and the PS3.  That could have been some PS3's.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
I think that 100,000 number is a big reason they should have been more Pro-active with BC and the PS3.  That could have been some PS3's.

Except Sony was losing a significant amount of money on every PS3 they sold, while the PS2 was almost entirely profit by that point. They needed to be selling all those PS2s or they'd have lost even more money.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »

Except Sony was losing a significant amount of money on every PS3 they sold, while the PS2 was almost entirely profit by that point. They needed to be selling all those PS2s or they'd have lost even more money.

But now that that's done, what is stopping Sony from putting the emotion chip back in the PS3 in a newer revision? They are no longer losing money on each PS3 sold, so the reason they pulled it out is no longer applicable.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »
They could, but they won't. They'd much rather sell you the games again, in sort-of HD (running at a higher resolution with somewhat better textures) for big mark-up. And before broodwars comes in and defends them and turns it against Nintendo, I'm not criticizing as much as calling them on it, and I'm totally aware that Nintendo will almost certainly do the same thing on the Wii U, although that'll at least play Wii games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2011, 03:16:47 AM »
They only care about BC at launch.  There aren't many games and it gives them a way to bring in the old fans early and say there are more  games and will be more as the BC gets better.  Once more games come out to draw people in they will drop support.  They don't want you to play old games, they want you to play new games.

People who expect 100% BC will be disappointed, especially Live and PSN users.  I doubt all those games will just move over to the next system because of both compatibility issues and dev/publisher issues.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2011, 05:58:05 AM »
But doesn't even the slim model of the PS3 have reverse compatibility with PS1 games? They do that, but they cut out PS2 games support. I understand wanting to resell old games to people for high markup, but if that's the case shouldn't PS1 games support have been cut out as well?
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »
But doesn't even the slim model of the PS3 have reverse compatibility with PS1 games? They do that, but they cut out PS2 games support. I understand wanting to resell old games to people for high markup, but if that's the case shouldn't PS1 games support have been cut out as well?

I think it's probably because of how much easier PS1 emulation is.  There were already tons of emulators for mutliple systems including the dreamcast and its just simpler in general.  The PS1 emulator was probably something they finished quick and were done while the PS2 probably requires more work and extra work to get certain games to run correctly

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »
Honestly I feel the PS3 has like 3 if not 4 more years in it left. Now I am not just saying that because I just bought a PS3 like a month ago.  I think late 2014 or 2015 would be a good time for it. PS3 is an awesome system, though I am late to the game (which I wasn't for the PS2, as I got that system in early 2002, before I got the GameCube).  I am interested in how Sony will top the PS3.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2011, 11:26:08 PM »
I'm sure Sony would love to let the PS3 go on until 2014 or 2015, but if Microsoft's going to launch in  2013 they really don't have that option. They can't let both MS and Nintendo get that kind of a head start.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »
Just because the PS4 is on the horizon doesn't mean they will pull the plug on the PS3. At best the PS4 is probably two years off, and even then there will probably be support for the PS3 for another two years after that. Just like how the PS1 lived on after the PS2 for awhile and how the PS2 lived on for awhile (and kinda still does).

Which is much more than can be said about Nintendo hardware these last 3-4 generations. The Wii-U is a year or more off and yet the Wii is basically already dead as far as new software is concerned. The GC was also pretty much dead a year or two before the Wii, same with the N64. Even though the PS3 is in third place and has the lowest market share, it seems to have the best life expectancy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:56:58 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2011, 02:19:19 AM »
You are crazy Chozo.
The PS3 is going to be dropped like a bad habbit when the next console comes out.
All of Sony's support will obviously stop to make games for the new system and unless it starts getting ports of the next systems games don't expect third parties to put those games out there when they have something new and fresh to push their games on.  The ps1 and ps2 continued to get the lower budget and experimental games that could be sold to their, at the time, record breaking userbases.  PS3 budgets are too high and it doesn't have the userbase to sell the games when they release a follow up that will steal the already low sales away from the PS3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:13 AM »
Develop-Online says:
PS4 software in early stages, expects 2014 release
http://www.develop-online.net/news/38916/Sony-studios-begin-PlayStation-4-projects
Preliminary work on PlayStation 4 games has begun at several internal Sony studios, Develop understands.

A trusted source connected to the matter has told Develop that various game projects are at very early stages, though didn’t reveal which of Sony’s sixteen first-party studios had been delegated the work.

Few in the games business expect a new PlayStation to launch before 2014 – the next few Christmases will likely see Sony marketing software for PS3, Move and its new Vita handheld.

MS is seen smiling with a grin large enough to show up on a Gmaps satellite photo
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:38:28 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
PS4 & NeXtBoix @ E3 2012!?
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2012, 04:47:10 AM »
Develop-Online says: Shock PS4 announcement 'set for E3
I'm shocked... are you shocked!? Sony rain on Nintendo's parade... never :rolleyes;
http://www.develop-online.net/news/39431/Sony-to-make-bombshell-PS4-announcement-at-E3
New report claims that all three next gen systems will take stage at LA extravaganza
Sony is planning to rock the industry by announcing PlayStation 4 plans in just a matter of months, a new report has revealed.

In a highly unexpected move, Sony executives will head to Los Angeles in June to discuss their next home console at E3, within days of Microsoft doing the same.

This week’s MCV magazine has splashed on its front page “Biggest E3 ever will reveal new consoles”, claiming that Microsoft too will unveil its next generation system at the industry event.

In October last year, Develop revealed that several Sony studios had begun prototyping early PlayStation 4 projects. One month later, PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan admitted it would be “undesirable” for the PlayStation 4 to launch later than its rivals.
MCV now claims that Sony has sent the message to third-parties that it will not be left behind this time.

The PS3 launched more than a year after the Xbox 360, and it is believed Sony considers Microsoft had a significant advantage with its head-start.

Develop understands that Xbox Next is to launch in 2013, with PlayStation 4 likely released a year later. It appears Sony is intensifying efforts to narrow the gap between both console releases.

MCV’s report claims that neither Microsoft nor Sony will announce launch details of their next gen systems at E3. But their presence at the event is also designed to steal thunder from Nintendo, which is currently finalising release plans for Wii U.

By a show of hands, who is expecting Sony to show off some sort of Dual Shock Touch Tablet?
and maybe show off how it will work in conjunction with Move for innovative asymmetrical gameplay?
But they also show off dual tablets & 2 Vitas for some 4 player action too.

Sony will show you things you've never seen before. They will innovate.... maybe not by doing it first, but by doing it times 2 they will show off 4 players with 4 tablets and you will say WOW!

I know Sony is itching for payback after how Nintendo muddied up the Vita launch. I guess no better place than at E3.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:04:11 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:30 AM »
By a show of hands, who is expecting Sony to show off some sort of Dual Shock Touch Tablet?

It will be given the mind blowing name of "Dual Shock 4" and it will preserve the retarded layout of placing the D-pad where the left analog should logically go, and continue using those stupid shapes as the face buttons instead of numbers or letters like a controller should use.

I think there's also a reasonable chance Sony will take the opportunity to introduce some new proprietary media format for the console, instead of continuing to use the Blu-ray/HDD of the PS3. Going by their past history I'd say there is a good 50/50 chance of this happening.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
Anything new the PS4 will bring to the table will be laughable "WTF" stuff that you can't imagine anyone wanting.  The rest will be very conventional and safe but incredibly "at the pulse" stuff that every gamer just expects a console at this point to have.

That's Sony in the videogame world.  They have utterly stupid original ideas but really get the conventional stuff dead on.  This is pretty much the exact opposite of Nintendo who comes up with incredible industry-changing ideas and then can't get the simple stuff right.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
...  This is pretty much the exact opposite of Nintendo who comes up with incredible industry-changing ideas and then can't get the simple stuff right.

LOL.  It's so true.   ;D
NNID: ejamer

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »
So apparently, a "100 percent concrete, high level source" says BOTH Sony and Microsoft's consoles will be shown at this year's E3:

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1215948p1.html?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

Do I see them announcing their consoles? Sure.

Do I see them having them out on display? Not really.

Do I see them actually releasing them this year? Nah.

Even if they have a lot of ground to catch up with the Wii, I don't think either of them would rush out their next consoles. Besides, the Sega Saturn approach is marred with infamy and I don't understand why anyone would take that route.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
I should have added this with the original postings, but since you are linking to IGN because of it, I guess better late than never.

MCV's Editor says:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:46:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »
Ok so if PS4 really launches 2 years after the Wii U I do expect a decent power gap, but 2 years is a heck of a long time! This is going to be the most interesting generation yet.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
I'm gonna have to believe the PS4 announcement when I see it. Sony's plan was to stretch this fight as long as they could and it'd probably behoove them to stick to their guns. PS3 can already do 1080p right? It does 3D gaming at least. WiiU is trying to compete on that level. Unless Sony has a REAL big innovation, they shouldn't come to the table.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
But this time they may want to flog Nintendo's ideas before they can get a foothold in the market.  That is a mistake they made with the Wiimote.  They were caught with their pants down and they Wii was on its own for a few years.  I would imagine Sony don't want to risk that happening again and will try and rip off the Umote now and tell everyone about it so people can wait for the Sony version. 

Come to think of it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a PS3 addon.  There isn't really any reason not to do it that way.  Supposedly the WiiU isn't a huge jump over the PS3 and is presumably graphically comparable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: PSM3 Claims PS4 to be more powerful than XBOX720
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/331361/ps4-early-specs-more-powerful-than-xbox-720-claims-source/
PlayStation 4's early technical specifications are looking "more powerful" than those of Microsoft's next-generation Xbox targets, according to PSM3's development sources.

in other news....
XBM claims that Xbox720 will outclass PS4 in every conceivable way. :rolleyes:

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
So a Sony magazine says the rumored specs of the PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the rumored specs of the Xbox 3 (when we don't know the specs of either). I am not shocked they would make the claim, whether it's true or not.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20