Author Topic: REVIEWS: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 16014 times)

Offline The Traveller

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Super Mario Galaxy 2
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 07:04:18 AM »
I disagree with one of the breakdown points,the graphics, which I belive James should of given top marks too.

Also I kind of agree with some of the posters who were commentating about how the gravity wasnt really used to a greater effect in the first game. Before I played Galaxy 1 I thought that there would be varying degrees of gravity used throughout, but from what I remember and felt at the time the force of gravity was always the same no matter where you were in the game. I think some places should of made Mario heavier or lighter. Think basically mini mario from NSMB, for being lighter.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
Wait, wait, wtf. Amazon, why are you not shipping my copy until the 28th?! That better be a damn mistake on your website. I'll be away on business most of next week, so a few days isn't a big deal, but if I'm buying it in stores for the long weekend if Amazon lets me down. Seriously.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 01:11:56 PM »
When did you order?  I ordered on the 14th, and my delivery estimate is the 26th (2-day shipping, which would make the ship date the 24th).
UPDATE: Just got my shipping notification, so this might actually make it to me by Monday if I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:59:43 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »
Exactly, that's how I feel. But it is still the same characters and settings, and for some, that makes it stale.

Well the setting to be fair is pretty malleable. Space is just an excuse for some super crazy and ingenious level designs with their own unique settings and situations. Mario Galaxy if anything was just an excuse for the developers to NOT be restrained by setting, but to let their imaginations go wild. That is why the "more of the same" is silly when supposedly Mario Galaxy 2 had some brilliantly creative worlds in it, it may have the same controls and characters, but the level designs are a mixture of fresh with familiar.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
The only question I have for James is why so low?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
My copy shipped today and it had a delivery estimate of the 28th too TYP. So hopefully yours will soon if it hasn't already.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
Wait, wait, wtf. Amazon, why are you not shipping my copy until the 28th?! That better be a damn mistake on your website. I'll be away on business most of next week, so a few days isn't a big deal, but if I'm buying it in stores for the long weekend if Amazon lets me down. Seriously.
I think what is called an "estimated ship date" might actually be the estimated delivery date. When I pre-ordered Monster Hunter Tri, the estimated ship date was April 26th, which was the day it arrived in the mail.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 01:07:24 AM »
I timed my 1 month trial of Amazon Prime for when this game came out, so I paid just 3.99 for one-day shipping, and was still annoyed to learn that it wasn't supposed to show up until Tuesday.

However, now checking, it's on track to arrive to me on Monday.  Rad.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 01:16:43 AM »
My copy shipped today and it had a delivery estimate of the 28th too TYP. So hopefully yours will soon if it hasn't already.

Same here for me, TYP.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 02:02:27 AM »
That is why the "more of the same" is silly when supposedly Mario  Galaxy 2 had some brilliantly creative worlds in it, it may have the  same controls and characters, but the level designs are a mixture of  fresh with familiar.
Galaxy 2 is basically a HOLY **** out of 10.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »
Only gotten to play the first level so far. Wow, if the scope of the rest of the game is anything as diverse as the first level, just wow!

I hope to get some quality time tonight with the game.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
23 stars in and I'm in love. The levels are even more crazy and awesome than the ones from the original.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »
Well, I got my shipping notice today, so at least I'll have my copy for the long weekend. I'll have to miss out on the fun for a few days, though. Oh well.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »
I'm getting mine Tuesday it looks like.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
First world completed... it's fuuuuun.

Although I think someone at Nintendo got mixed up on the subject of what a Galaxy and a World is. Oh well.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
First world completed... it's fuuuuun.

Although I think someone at Nintendo got mixed up on the subject of what a Galaxy and a World is. Oh well.

Galaxy Get

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »
I think by now you're either a raging Mario fanboy or couldn't care less about the series.  I'm with Broodwars, I'm just sort of done with Mario 3D platformers.  I haven't really cared about them since I quit Mario Sunshine about half way through.  It feels like different variations on the same thing over and over, and I can tolerate that with Zelda, but for some reason I have a hard time doing it with Mario.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 01:13:01 AM »
I think by now you're either a raging Mario fanboy or couldn't care less about the series.  I'm with Broodwars, I'm just sort of done with Mario 3D platformers.  I haven't really cared about them since I quit Mario Sunshine about half way through.  It feels like different variations on the same thing over and over, and I can tolerate that with Zelda, but for some reason I have a hard time doing it with Mario.

So much irony in this statement!

The Mario series has consistently had some of the most diverse and well designed levels around. This is especially true of the 3D Mario's. The Mario theme is just the glue to hold together diversity in creative settings and level designs where no one world is quite the same.

Also is James a raging fanboi? Seriously that is a ridiculous thing to say. Perhaps people just appreciate some of the most creative level designs around? The Mario series at its core is one of the best examples of unrestrained level designs. To say it is the same thing is irrational, especially Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:25:25 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
GP, it's ironic that you respond to my fanboy statement with a fangirl statement.

I've never said that the Mario Galaxy games aren't well-designed.  They most definitely are, but that doesn't mean the concept is interesting to me (or rather, is STILL interesting to me).
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 11:46:19 PM »
Yet shooting a gun at enemies still is?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
GP, it's ironic that you respond to my fanboy statement with a fangirl statement.

I've never said that the Mario Galaxy games aren't well-designed.  They most definitely are, but that doesn't mean the concept is interesting to me (or rather, is STILL interesting to me).

Sounds like you just don't like 3D platformers. I think Jame's review demonstrates that you don't need to be a huge Mario fan to appreciate the game. If you critisize Mario games of being "More of the same' you better be prepared to accuse virtually every other action game out there, FPS or otherwise as being more of the same in regards to design.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:05:09 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy 2: Troll Edition
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Funny you say that.  I was never a big fan of SM64 and SMS, but thought SMG fixed most of their problems... to me, it was a fairly significant change in design and SMG2 goes in that direction even more.  Though, I'd argue that direction is more of a classic Mario direction and less of a standard 3D platformer direction.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »
Game genres don't grow stale, people simply lose interest in them.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
That's a load of garbage.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).