Poll

Nintendo Systems: Which is your Favorite?

Nintendo Entertainment System
1 (7.7%)
Virtual Boy
0 (0%)
Game Boy
1 (7.7%)
Game Boy Color
0 (0%)
Game Boy Advance
3 (23.1%)
Pokémon Mini
1 (7.7%)
Nintendo 64
4 (30.8%)
Nintendo GameCube
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 08, 2010, 11:38:21 PM

Author Topic: Series Series - Wii in Third - Next Round finally up!  (Read 120145 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Whoops!  Thanks. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I don't want Dungeon, Dungeon, Dungeon.  I want other things...I just don't want to be forced to go through sometimes difficult and tedious activities that are more annoying than fun.  Like the running with a stick trying to figure the correct pattern to talk to the Goron King to go into the dungeon.  In the Dungeon, that kind of puzzle is rewarding and fun, outside the dungeon it is  tedious if forced. 

But, I want other stuff, but I want it voluntary.  Actually, I want it voluntary, but highly pushed for reward and story...and although there are several games that provide you with other stuff, they are not Zelda...and do not have the elegant Zelda design of characters, charm and puzzle design.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Once again went with one of the best: Twilight Princess.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Also interesting - while a 2D Zelda won the first and second rounds, the 3D games really dominated this time.  Aside from the single FSA vote, Link's Awakening was the only non-3D game anyone voted for.

As I said before, the 3D games are having their votes split amongst them which is causing them to lose.  A Link to the Past is hands down the best 2D Zelda game and Link's Awakening is easily the second best.  The order isn't quite as cut-and-dry with the 3D games.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
Also interesting - while a 2D Zelda won the first and second rounds, the 3D games really dominated this time.  Aside from the single FSA vote, Link's Awakening was the only non-3D game anyone voted for.

As I said before, the 3D games are having their votes split amongst them which is causing them to lose.  A Link to the Past is hands down the best 2D Zelda game and Link's Awakening is easily the second best.  The order isn't quite as cut-and-dry with the 3D games.
Interestingly, 2D games got more votes than 3D, in the first poll.  The second poll had considerably fewer votes.  I wonder what they would've been...

This time I voted for a 3D game.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
What can I say, I am a sucker for the 2D Zeldas, but once they get into the later series it is not as cut and dry.

The 3D Zeldas all have their distinct styles and advantages and disadvantages.  For instance OoT is probably the most cherished for being the first 3D Zelda and the game everyone looks to as the standard, but is that standard the best?  In many things yes, it is...but in others no, it fell short.

Majora's Mask is the most different with a unique story and environment and atmosphere.  Its a great game, but also one of the least Zelda feeling in some people's opinions.

Wind Waker is perhaps the most controversial Zelda game.  The graphics, the ocean, the lack of ground exploring for a sea adventure....it is all very different.  Add to it a rushed feel with a dungeon or 2 missing...but then again everything above that is a fault can also be a strength...and it is also one of the more memorable Zeldas...specially the fantastic end battle.

Twilight Princess:  The game that appeared to do everything right in giving fans what they wanted in coming back to OoT tradition, but then became too familiar to the original.  Great Wii controls, big vast world, a good number of dungeons and adding even more story elements with triggered story events to play through....but then there are the wolf segments some people hated.  And, they still basically visited the same story of a dark and light world for the 3rd time.

I think the 3D games are doing better for bronze because most Zelda fans believe and LttP is the defining moment in the Zelda franchise that set the course of the series for the future...and is one of the most careful and finest made games of all time.  Many people vote it, for best because of just how much influence it has on the entire series...and how good it is. 

Once people already voted for LttP it opened them up to vote for the 3D games.  I honestly don't know why Link's Awakening is getting the same number of votes.   It is a great game, and the characters within the game world are more fleshed out and interesting than the characters from LttP, but to me it just feels like I am carrying around a portable LttP, which is cool...but still pushes the nod to LttP, as the better game.

I really, can't vote for the 3D games because I don't know which of those is better, or which I want to play again...but I know given a chance I would play LttP again...at least 2-3 more times.  And I would play a remake of Link's Awakening again, but probably not the original or DX version.   

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I went with OOT because it had a good start to the game and it was really fleshed out as an adventure title.

Majora's Mask was a very interesting idea and the dungeons were challenging.

Wind Waker dispite the contraversy was an enjoyable game.

Twilight Princess if it started quicker to get into the game it would be more enjoyable. After you got into it it was enjoyable.
Great Boss battles.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
It's neat that there appears to be four games near the top of everyone's lists - LttP, LA, OoT and MM.

Just a side question - would you buy a "remastered" version of OoT or Majora's Mask at full price?  What about $30?  $20?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Depends on how "remastered" it is.  Full-blown remake?  Probably pay full price.  Perfect Dark XBLA upscaling?  Probably wouldn't be interested.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I'm thinking along the lines of the God of War collection for the PS3.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Just a side question - would you buy a "remastered" version of OoT or Majora's Mask at full price?  What about $30?  $20?

Considering I have the original N64 carts, the Cube Master Quest version and the Collector's Edition I already own three copies of OoT and two of MM.  So, no, I wouldn't buy those games again for full price.  I MIGHT buy them again for $30 IF there was a significant remastering going on here, like new bonus content and completely redone graphics.  Even that is iffy.  I'd rather Nintendo focus on new games.  With the VC there is really no need to bother re-releasing games in special editions and such anymore.  It was different before where you had to get some used copy for a console that hadn't been around in years.  Special editions were a way to get that game back on sale for those that missed it.  These days if you want it you can just get it.

I would however buy a Zero Mission style remake of either NES Zelda.  Those games are dated enough that a remake would be worthwhile.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I'd love to see Nintendo take another stab at Zelda II. I think with a few tweaks it could be really good.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Numbers are really, really close.  In fact, they've been running that way all along.  Vote for your favorite now. :D

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
And Majora's Mask is crowned the third place winner.

The Legend of Zelda (NES, GBA, GCN, VC)    - 1 (4.8%)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, GCN, VC)    - 6 (28.6%)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, GCN, VC)    - 7 (33.3%)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)    - 2 (9.5%)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GCN)    - 1 (4.8%)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)    - 1 (4.8%)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii)    - 3 (14.3%)
Total Members Voted: 21

Next round coming up...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Series Series - Poll 1 - Round 4: Zelda | Majora's Mask in third!
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 02:19:51 AM »
This round had OoT and MM going neck-and-neck virtually the entire time.  I thought we might have our first run-off.

For all the love the 2D Zeldas was getting, it sure dropped off steep there.  Only three people voted for a 2D Zelda this round?

I went with Wind Waker this time.  I'm sure OoT will probably take fourth - and it probably deserves, at least, that.  I think Wind Waker is a better game, though.  Even if it is pretty unfinished toward the end...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 05:03:41 AM »
No, the game is fine as is. Though if it were offered as a pre-order bonus for the next Zelda game, I'd take it.

Also, you people have bad taste for letting Majora's Mask win. :P

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 07:56:25 AM »
Agreed, MM should have finished near the bottom of the list. Both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are better games overall.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 08:33:28 AM »
Went with OOT again.

As far as 2D Zeldas that remain. The standouts are Minish Cap and the 2 NES games. I don't know who played the Oracle games.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
Went with OOT again.

As far as 2D Zeldas that remain. The standouts are Minish Cap and the 2 NES games. I don't know who played the Oracle games.

I did, and while I'm not a big fan of Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages is awesome (if a little too inspired by Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time).  If there's any justice, the Oracle games will rate higher than the incredibly mediocre Minish Cap.  And hopefully Zelda 2 will be right at the bottom of the list where it belongs.

And now that Majora's Mask is out, my vote now's for Ocarina, followed by Twilight and then Wind Waker.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
I'd buy an OoT remake, but I'd also be very interested if they remade Wind Waker and actually finished making it this time. Get rid of the triforce hunt, put in (at least) the two dungeons that were cut out, and I'd pay full price for that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »
I actually like the Tri-Force hunt from the Wind Waker, but it needs to be redone. 

I say add in the last 2 dungeons and give 2 new items yes it is needed.  But for the Tri-Force Hunt, I would rather have only 3 pieces to find...but only have partial maps and clues to start with...and you must solve the puzzle of the map in the world to find the Tri-Force, and you can create a really engaging series of events during the Tri-Force hunt.  With the addition of scripted events during the Tri-Force to enhance that section of the game it could be very entertaining. 

I would not pay full price for it, but I think a 39.99 dollar price is reasonable...perhaps better 35.99.

Now, for an OoT remake.  If the graphics were improved, and they added new Wii controls, and different quests, and someone managed to squeeze Majora's Mask into the game.  ( I have a really clever idea how to do that...)  I think an OoT remake could be truly amazing. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
Well there were two dungeons cut out of Ocarina of Time, as well. They weren't needed nearly as much as the cut dungeons in Wind Waker were, but they'd be nice to have.

Zelda games are never really finished, the developers just stop making them. Even Miyamoto can't put off the release forever.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
Exactly, that is what happened with Duke Nukem Forever. The game kept getting delayed every time a new engine or piece of tech came out because the head of the development studio kept wanting everything in the game to be state of the art. On more than once occasion the game was almost done, then they would scrap it and start over because a new and more advanced game engine came out. EVERY game can be improved, but at some point the studio has to say that the game is good enough and release it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
Not with downloadable content! ;)