Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269565 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #1075 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »
And Adrock, Ceric was talking about Remote play which allows you to do just that, play PS3 games on Vita.  Right now I'm not sure which games have that feature but hackers couldn't wait and had games like BF3 up and running.  However this wouldn't make the unit portable since the PS3 is running the game not Vita.
Ah, I see. I thought he meant literally taking his PS3 library and transferring it onto Vita to take places which seemed odd to me because PS3 games like God of War III and Uncharted 2 are huge.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure from my time with the demo unit that you can't fit a Vita in your pocket, either, unless you're MC Hammer.
If you were MC Hammer, you wouldn't need to fit a Vita in your pocket since no one could touch it anyway. /bad joke

That was far worse than my Vita joke yesterday.

No its not.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 16, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
"
Cross Platform Play: 2 Consoles, 1 Price
You do get somethings for free.
Sony has announced that when PlayStation Vita launches on 22 February you will be able to download MotorStorm RC, Hustle Kings, Top Darts, WipEout HD and HD Fury DLC for WipEout 2048 and Capcom's, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 DLC on the PlayStation Store that will let you play them on both PS3 and PS Vita for one price.

And if you already own any of the above games on your PS3, you will be able to download the equivalent software to your PS Vita for free, and vice versa. So there's no longer any need to purchase the same content twice.

It's all a part of Sony's push to stress the relationship between the two consoles, and the importance of Cross Platform Play, which lets players compete against one another regardless of which console they choose to play on.

----------------------------
Right now it says DLC so I wonder if it's just the packs are you can get the packs and game?  Found out it's talking about DLC packs for the PS3 games :(.  The PSN games will be able to download to both devices and play like Motorstorm RC.
This Cross-play is the feature I want to see the most. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:45:55 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure from my time with the demo unit that you can't fit a Vita in your pocket, either, unless you're MC Hammer.
If you were MC Hammer, you wouldn't need to fit a Vita in your pocket since no one could touch it anyway. /bad joke

No its not.

In my opinion it is.
is your sanity...

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 16, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »

No its not.

In my opinion it is.

But you have a clear bias. As an impartial observer, I have to side with Stogi, and since I'm the Sheriff 'round these parts, making my word the law, you are therefore objectively wrong.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
I mean literally have my PS3 game on the go.  The problem with Streaming them is that I'm fairly sure you can't be using the PS3 while playing a game through Remote Play.  Also I can't play them in the car.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »

No its not.

In my opinion it is.

But you have a clear bias. As an impartial observer, I have to side with Stogi, and since I'm the Sheriff 'round these parts, making my word the law, you are therefore objectively wrong.

Yeah, but you have a bias too because you don't like me.
is your sanity...

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »
Did I miss the outrage about Uncharted Vita being $50, or are people OK with the pricing since it's on a Sony system?  All of the Canadian flyers I've seen advertise it as $10 more expensive than the "average" Vita game.  Maybe this is a Canada-only screw job?

For a relatively short game with no online multiplayer mode included, this seems rather high.  Considering the internet bitching about RE:Rev, I don't see how this has gone over so easily.
NNID: ejamer

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »
I just looked at the US Amazon and it has Uncharted for Vita at $50 as well, so it's not Canada-only. While I was there I noticed some Vita games, like Hot Shots Golf, going for $30, as well.

I personally don't mind variable pricing as long as it swings both ways, but I also didn't know Uncharted was $50 until you posted that, so the lack of outrage may just be due to people not paying attention.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 16, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
Well you missed my posts in sales but Toys R US is have $20 GC for every $50 spent so you can still get it for $30.  Hell I only paid $27 but that deal is now dead.  If you visit the site cheapassgamer.com there's even an Canada section now.  I know Bestbuy Canada was giving away Free copy of the game wtih pre-order but that deal has ended.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:53:16 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1085 on: February 16, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
If it's "as good as console Uncharted" and it's $10 cheaper than grabbing Uncharted 3 on day 1, I don't think a lot of people will care. Plus, it's $45 on PSN.

I think people are too busy b****hing about the memory card pricing to complain about the game pricing.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1086 on: February 16, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
The reviews I have seen say that Uncharted is a good game, but nowhere near as good as the console ones (and that some of the touch controls seem tacked on)..
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
The reviews I have seen say that Uncharted is a good game, but nowhere near as good as the console ones (and that some of the touch controls seem tacked on)..

Plus it's been called short in multiple reviews, and lacks online or additional modes as incentive to keep playing.  I'm not against premium pricing, but it seems like a stretch when you are getting a game with limited incentive to keep playing past the basic campaign - even if this is the marquee name associated with Vita launch.

...  I personally don't mind variable pricing as long as it swings both ways, but I also didn't know Uncharted was $50 until you posted that, so the lack of outrage may just be due to people not paying attention.

Good point about variable pricing. I agree, and don't really mind games coming out at $50 when they are premium titles.  It was just a surprise that nobody anywhere mentioned this after RE:Rev seemed to take heat for selling at the same price (despite that game also being a major franchise and including online multiplayer).

Maybe sale pricing took some of the bite off - although RE:Rev could also be preordered for $35 or potentially less if you shopped around and watched for deals.  Maybe Vita consumers aren't price-sensitive enough to care. Maybe people expect Vita to be a "home console in your hand" type of experience and don't mind paying the same price as home console releases. Maybe Capcom already set the expectation that portable games can cost more and people were more prepared this time around. Maybe gamers just had enough other minor details to bitch about.

One thing that doesn't help is a $5 discount for buying online, when that leaves you without the option to sell/loan/transfer the game to anyone else afterwards - especially for games that are short to begin with.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 17, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
I'm with Insanolord on this one.  The reason why RE was such an uproar is because the base price of ALL 3DS games was $40 for a while.  We all know that more then a few of those should have maxed out at $30.  What happened was it became accepted that $40 was the 3DS game price.  No fluctuation.  Good and the bad.  When Rev was going to be $50 it was an outlier in a flat chart.

Now lets look at the Vita.  Games range from $30-$50 from the get go.  Establishing the mindset that is the range Vita games will be.  As long as games just travel within that range and average out in a common collection to the $40 mark it doesn't seem like someone is trying to do something out of the norm with there prices.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1089 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
"
Cross Platform Play: 2 Consoles, 1 Price
You do get somethings for free.
Sony has announced that when PlayStation Vita launches on 22 February you will be able to download MotorStorm RC, Hustle Kings, Top Darts, WipEout HD and HD Fury DLC for WipEout 2048 and Capcom's, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 DLC on the PlayStation Store that will let you play them on both PS3 and PS Vita for one price.

And if you already own any of the above games on your PS3, you will be able to download the equivalent software to your PS Vita for free, and vice versa. So there's no longer any need to purchase the same content twice.

It's all a part of Sony's push to stress the relationship between the two consoles, and the importance of Cross Platform Play, which lets players compete against one another regardless of which console they choose to play on.

----------------------------
Right now it says DLC so I wonder if it's just the packs are you can get the packs and game?  Found out it's talking about DLC packs for the PS3 games :(.  The PSN games will be able to download to both devices and play like Motorstorm RC.
This Cross-play is the feature I want to see the most. 

Hey this is pretty cool.  Sony is doing something right with this.  I hope Nintendo decides to move this direction with its Virtual Console games.  This is a great idea that makes the Vita a much more viable option when you pair it with a PS3.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 12, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »
Okay, does anyone on the forums here own a Vita?

I'm curious about the load times, specifically.  I was at the mall with my family today and, while passing by a Sony store, saw a Vita demo station with no one in front of it.  I told my wife "Go ahead and get your free chocolate of the month at Godiva.  I will be there in literally 2 minutes."  So I rush in, check out the Vita, and load up a game (Wipeout).

There there was a loading screen.  A loading screen that was taking so long that I could literally see the single digits change where it said "Loading 1%, 2%, 3%...."   By the time the game was loaded, my 2 minutes of freedom were up and I had to get back to my wife and kids before they went crazy for chocolate.

Now, that was a demo station, and I noticed that the Vita had must have had some kind of demo software in it (with a selection of games to try, including Uncharted).   Are these horrific loading times limited to these demo stations, or would I experience these same loading times if I actually bought a Vita and bought a copy of Wipeout?
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 12, 2012, 06:50:58 AM »
Yeah, loading times are awful for some games, wipeout takes a minute or so and more patches are no the way. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 12, 2012, 08:28:26 AM »
That's a shame. The lack of load times was one of the main benefits of card based media. Doesn't Vita have more RAM than the PS3? I feel like load times shouldn't be worse on hardware that doesn't use discs and has more RAM. Maybe developers just need more time to get used to the hardware.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 12, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
Here is the Eurogamer article on Load times and Memory cards. Long story short. Sony fucked up. The speeds and loading time you get from the PSV is some sort of sick joke.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
Sony hardware has always suffered atrocious load times. I used to think it was just because they used optical media, but then the Gamecube came out and it used optical media but its load times weren't bad, and now there is the Vita which doesn't even use optical media at all but it has arguably worse load times. So what gives?

Sony always slaps in high tech stuff like cell processors and all that to make their systems the most powerful on the block, but despite all that power you still have to wait for it to do its thing before you can play.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:44:07 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: March 12, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
Long load times = features.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
Here is the Eurogamer article on Load times and Memory cards. Long story short. Sony fucked up. The speeds and loading time you get from the PSV is some sort of sick joke.
That's terrible.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 12, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
Long load times are the video game equivalent of commercials or intermission. It gives you the time to get up and go take a whiz or grab something to eat.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 12, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »
That's what a pause button is for. Sony needs to stop trying to dictate when I use the bathroom.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 12, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
That's why I usually use standby instead of kicking it back to main menu.  Drains power but I never have to spend time loading the game.  For the most part it's just the inital loading that takes awhile, changing levels isn't or restarting isn't much of an issue since it's like 10 second or less for the most part.