Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269558 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and it's called Next Generation Portable (NGP)
« Reply #575 on: March 07, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »
Who wouldn't want everything to be available when you want it? I hate going to a store and not finding the game I want. Sold out or whatever. I especially hate pre-ordering games simply for the fact of reserving a copy (pre-order bonuses are always nice though).

The only problem I see is having the HDD crash or some other software/hardware bug. Having to DL all your games again would suck.

I think a nice compromise would be to backup games on your HDD so you didn't have to take them with you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:25:22 AM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »
Who wouldn't want everything to be available when you want it? I hate going to a store and not finding the game I want. Sold out or whatever. I especially hate pre-ordering games simply for the fact of reserving a copy (pre-order bonuses are always nice though).

The only problem I see is having the HDD crash or some other software/hardware bug. Having to DL all your games again would suck.

I think a nice compromise would be to backup games on your HDD so you didn't have to take them with you.
They're forcing it.  PC gamers are ready but handheld/console gamers need a transition first.

Actually, I think that the handheld market is the only place where a strict digital distribution really makes sense. No one likes carrying around a case full of cartridges, that's not portable. Having everything downloaded to your GameBoy and ready to go though...

In some ways I do love the thought of download-only portables.  As mentioned above, the concept of only having to have the console and not have to carry around 5-10 cartridges (or UMDs....ugh) is a very appealing prospect, especially for those who travel often.  Also, for someone like me with a Playstation 3, the thought of possibly downloading PSN exclusive titles such as Joe Danger or Flower and playing them on the NGP on a plane is a very enticing concept.

Personally, my issue is that I haven't found too often that the prices of these games are competitive enough on PSN.  Someone mentioned that PC people have no problem with Steam, and I think that is only true because Steam has awesome sales at least once every 3-4 months.  Steam even has 10-20% discounts for people who pre-order the games sometimes (mostly when it's a Valve game, but you get my point).  I need to see publishers and Sony be more flexible on pricing before I am ok parting with the used game market.  If Sony adopts Steam's flexibility on pricing, then I'll be ok with giving up the used game market.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:36 AM »
My personal dilemma with the NGP is whether or not I should pick up a PSP 3000 with an awesome library at dirt cheap (used) prices, or wait for the new system and experience most of the PSP back catalog digitally

Why not wait until the NGP comes out and then get a PSP? The logic behind that is when the NGP is out PSP owners should be selling/trading in their PSPs and in theory that means you can get one more cheaply, as well as the games that go with it.
is your sanity...

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 07, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
Yeah, that's actually the best thing to do.  Honestly it's not like I need the thing, especially this year.  All the psp hardware and software are not gonna disappear in the next few years anyway.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »
You've waited this long, whats another 8-12 months?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2011, 02:09:54 AM »
I'm sure Sony will cut the price of new PSPs even further at some point. Seems like every console/handheld eventually drops to at least $99 (if not $79) in its final days of life. Even if they don't, retail stores may do so anyway in order to clear out inventory.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 10, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »
[szie=12pt]Rumor: NGP to hit Europe this year?[/size]
Third party licensees insist that NGP will arrive in Europe before Christmas

Forget what you've heard about Japan getting it first – third party licensees insist that NGP will arrive in Europe this year.
Sources have told MCV that development deadlines have been set to ensure key Western releases are finished before the end of the summer for deployment in the autumn.

Online leaks even suggest the console will launch on Friday, November 11th. This would make the hardware roll-out for the follow-up to PSP Sony’s first simultaneous global games hardware launch.

Still no word on the price, but I'm sure we will find that out @ E3.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:08:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 10, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »
I'm guessin 400 easy

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »
$400 US or $400 EUR?

that is the question.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
probably both

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 10, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
That would suck for Eurpoeans since $400 Euros = $550 US

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 10, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
Yeah but it's not any worse than KDR paying 60 euros for games.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »
[szie=12pt]Rumor: NGP to hit Europe this year?
Third party licensees insist that NGP will arrive in Europe before Christmas

Forget what you've heard about Japan getting it first – third party licensees insist that NGP will arrive in Europe this year.
Sources have told MCV that development deadlines have been set to ensure key Western releases are finished before the end of the summer for deployment in the autumn.

Online leaks even suggest the console will launch on Friday, November 11th. This would make the hardware roll-out for the follow-up to PSP Sony’s first simultaneous global games hardware launch.

Still no word on the price, but I'm sure we will find that out @ E3.

Did they really say it won't be in Japan first?

Isn't that basically going to make them an also ran in Japan where the psp did the best?  I can't imagine japanese game makers or people buying the systems will be happy about the change.
It makes me think that most of their games will be western games which is strange because Japan made almost every ds game I own.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:32:03 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »
Its not going to be $400; its going to be $399.99.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 11, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
Its not going to be $400; its going to be $399.99.

I am banking on the NGP being $299.99 in the US and Canada. Hopefully this will motivate Nintendo to eventually drop the price of the 3DS to $199.99 and that is what I want to pay for the device.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 11, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
That's not going to happen.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 11, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
I am banking on <snip>

Well, I hate to break it to you but you are going to end up bankrupt, then (in more ways than one).
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 12, 2011, 02:10:10 AM »
Yeah but it's not any worse than KDR paying 60 euros for games.

I'm not paying that much, I wait for price drops :P. Regular price for HD games is 70 Euros, BTW.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 12, 2011, 09:17:07 PM »
I don't know, but at this moment, I doubt any new console will be launched in Japan.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 13, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
I don't know, but at this moment, I doubt any new console will be launched in Japan.

It will still launch. Its not a good time to launch, but even though tragedies and crises are going on life still goes on... 10 years ago when 9/11 happened was around the same time that the Xbox and Gamecube launched.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
NGP to be $250 wifi only & $350 w/ 3G?
Would that affect your decision on buying a 3DS for $250?
http://kotaku.com/#!5782436/ngp-to-be-priced-at-250-but-also-350
A survey conducted yesterday by research firm Toluna, and sponsored by publishers Ubisoft (it was labelled "Ubisoft- NGP concept- US Adults"), says that "the retail price of the Sony NGP is expected to be around $350", and asks the respondent "How likely would you be to purchase the Sony NGP now that you know this retail price?"

That's for the premium model, the one with 3G. The next question, however, says that the version of the NGP shipping without 3G connectivity will be priced considerably lower: at $250.

Of course, being a survey conducted by a third-party publisher and not Sony itself, these prices could well be pure conjecture. The fact it's such a major publisher, though, and that it's so confidently-worded, means those prices are at least worth bearing in mind.

Far from fact, but also not out of the realm of possible. Is the 3DS really over priced or is the NGP severely underpriced?
I still think that the it will retail for no less than $299 regardless of what version and more likely the low price will be $349 for the wifi model.

Sony needs this to be a winner, but can they afford to take big losses on every unit sold (assuming they are taking a big loss at a $250 price point) with their current financial situations regarding the PS3.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 16, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
It's pure speculation. If it was priced at 250 I'd be interested but I doubt it. Sony would have shouted that from the rooftops if they really could match the 3DS's price.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
Funny, 250 is too much for me to warrant buying a 3DS this soon (or before a revision), but I'd pick up an NGP easily for that price.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 16, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
Considering that subsidized smartphones with half the power of the NGP are coming out this summer for $250 I can't see it coming out for that price. If it does though, Sony would be banking on game sales and considering their push for ports and PSN games, I don't see that happening. There is still a lot Sony hasn't told us about the plans, but they would need very strong (and expensive?) software support to make the NGP profitable.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 16, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
Certainly at a price tag of $250, I'd pick up an NGP. Will it come out at that price? I don't think so, in any form. Like a poster stated above, if Sony was going to sell anywhere near that price, they would have declared it already. As it is, I don't see the 3DS being effected at all by the NGP, nor vice versa. Outside of them both being handhelds, they offer completely different experiences imo.

If the NGP does launch at $250 though, it will be the first time that I will own and actively play two different handheld systems.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."