Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269570 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
My view is this: Sony tried the higher end portable and failed. They should try a PSP2 budget model that isn't a huge upgrade and sell it cheap.

Otherwise, the most profitable thing Sony can do is not release a PSP2.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2010, 06:02:21 PM »
My view is this: Sony tried the higher end portable and failed. They should try a PSP2 budget model that isn't a huge upgrade and sell it cheap.
I think we both know that won't happen. Sony wouldn't dare launch after 3DS with less powerful hardware. That's was the only thing PSP really had over DS. Still, 3DS looks powerful enough that it might not even matter how much more powerful PSP2 may be. Point being, Sony is pretty much screwed. I don't think they really have anything to offer that Nintendo isn't with 3DS. On top of that, it may do less as Sony apparently isn't planning a 3D screen. PSP2 might be able a better multimedia device, but everything is a multimedia device these days and most people aren't going to give up their dedicated players like the iPod Touch (I had no idea how to make that plural) anyway.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
What I would do If I was Sony: Go cheap, add a basic touch screen and make it Android based.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »
I personally don't know why they are bothering with a new handheld.  They took a stab at the portable market and failed.  Dismally.  Sony will spend goodness knows what on a new gaming portable, sell it for a loss. lose more money again and still do no better than this gen. 

They should have just cut their losses. Unless there really is something "revolutionary" in this machine it is pretty much doomed (against the 3DS anyway). 

It probably would have been more prudent to scrap the PSP label and focus on a dedicated iPod killer.  Reinvigorate the Walkman machines.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »
I personally don't know why they are bothering with a new handheld.  They took a stab at the portable market and failed.  Dismally.  Sony will spend goodness knows what on a new gaming portable, sell it for a loss. lose more money again and still do no better than this gen. 

They should have just cut their losses. Unless there really is something "revolutionary" in this machine it is pretty much doomed (against the 3DS anyway). 

It probably would have been more prudent to scrap the PSP label and focus on a dedicated iPod killer.  Reinvigorate the Walkman machines.

It is the most successful non-Nintendo handheld to date, and I also wouldn't call it a "dismal failure", seeing as how it is currently selling very well in Japan and in fact in that latest charts it had more titles on the chart than the DS did for that week. So it wasn't a dismal failure, and arguably not really a failure at all... just because a system isn't number 1 doesn't make it a failure. Nintendo does need to take the threat seriously.

However, I agree it had a very rocky start and it took many years and massive advertising/money hats/whatever for Sony to claw up to that position where it is. But the PSP was just a first start, and the PSP2 will build off on where it left off. Again, Nintendo needs to take it seriously.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:15:22 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2010, 05:14:49 PM »
I actually like my PSP. It's a good console (we've been over this...). I'm glad Sony is giving it another go. PSP2 won't stop 3DS, but it's important that Nintendo has a competitor like Sony. Apple is competing in the handheld space but they really aren't offering the same kind of experience. Competition will keep Nintendo from becoming complacent.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »

It is the most successful non-Nintendo handheld to date, and I also wouldn't call it a "dismal failure", seeing as how it is currently selling very well in Japan and in fact in that latest charts it had more titles on the chart than the DS did for that week. So it wasn't a dismal failure, and arguably not really a failure at all... just because a system isn't number 1 doesn't make it a failure. Nintendo does need to take the threat seriously.

However, I agree it had a very rocky start and it took many years and massive advertising/money hats/whatever for Sony to claw up to that position where it is. But the PSP was just a first start, and the PSP2 will build off on where it left off. Again, Nintendo needs to take it seriously.

Fair enough.  I probably was a bit extreme. 

Sony doesn't play for second best.  The impression they have always given me is that they must be the kings of whatever field they are playing on.  If they go to the effort of directly ripping off another company's hard work, it shows me that they don't care what they have to do to get that number one spot. 

As we have already established, Sony will more than likely fail again if they play the same game.  This makes me fear that they will just copy the formula that won last time (DS).  Maybe not the dual screen, but everything else will be the same, just more powerful, I assume.  And then tout it as 100% their own creation.  I still think it would be better for Sony to leave the handhelds to the tried and true masters.

But I digress, it is still a wait and see game for now. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »
PSP2 not 3D, instead it is a larger HD portable with a touch pad on the back?
http://kotaku.com/5672410/psp2-will-be-bigger-out-fall-2011-currently-overheating
Around the time of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony held a private meeting at its offices in Tokyo's Aoyama. The purpose was to show off the PSP2.

Several sources have confirmed to Kotaku that the PSP2 does have a previously rumored touch panel on the back of the hardware. The touch panel was described as looking like a big mouse trackpad.[...]

The screen itself is not only sharper than the current PSP's, but about an inch larger. The larger screen means that the PSP2 will be larger as well. In the private meetings, Sony is touting the screen as "HD".
[...]
It is unclear whether this is the same handheld described by the Wall Street Journal. According to the paper, Sony is working on a device that mixes a game player, an e-book reader and a netbook computer.
[...]
Currently, the PSP2's hardware is not finalized, and Sony is having problems balancing battery, power and heat. There are apparently overheating issues, but Sony is, of course, aiming to have those issues corrected by the time the hardware is publicly shown.
[...]
Sources tell Kotaku that the PSP2's release window is fall 2011.

A track pad on the back is an interesting addition if it's true. it would also take care of that second analog that everyone keeps requesting and won't seem copycat-ish by adding a touchscreen (it could still be in 3D and a track pad would allow some mouse function without interrupting the 3D effect either.)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »
So if you think about it the PSP2 copied the DS's "dual screen" concept, except this is much more retarded because the other screen is on the opposite side of the device which makes it impossible to view both screens at the same time. Having screens on both sides will probably also increase the likelihood of one or both screens getting scratched or damaged, as opposed to Nintendo's clam shell design which protects the screens when not in use.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
it's a touch pad on the back, not a touch screen.

think more something along the lines of a laptop touch pad but on the backside of the PSP2.

I think it's a nice approach to the dual analog issue while providing mouse functions and still being able to use buttons at the same time.
check this out: http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=2064

that is likely what they are aiming for, and i wouldn't consider that copying the DS, but actually being innovative.
If that is what they are attempting, then I am very interested in seeing how it gets used.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:46:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
It's not a touch SCREEN, but rather a touch PAD, like what laptops have instead of a mouse, and it's a very good idea.

I think it would be a little awkward to use for dual analog, but it could just be something that takes getting used to.

Also, if Sony is making it more of a game playing tablet PC/eReader a touchpad helps navigation. If they can fix the overheating issues this could be a popular device; a true all-in-one. The 3DS may have the 'wow' factor, but I can see myself buying one device that does everything rather than three or four devices on which to game, make calls/texts, read books, and surf the internet on a screen large enough to enjoy watching movie on. If they can actually bring the 'make calls/texts' part to the U.S (I say if because it was removed from the Samsung Galaxy Tab) I would strongly consider buying it.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
if they also make the screen 3D with the rear touch tech, then the 3DS *might* be in serious trouble.

it would be a
PSP2 w/ a 5-6" 3D screen capable of HD gaming, movies and more + probably lots of onboard storage(16GB+) w/ appz, music, video & gamez store
vs
3DS w/ a 3.5" 3D screen and a 3.2" touch screen capable of Hi-rez gaming, movies and more with 1.5GB internal mem w/ games and videos store.

Without 3D, I wonder what the currently rumored PSP2 would retail at.

*considering battery, size and price, 3DS probably wouldn't be in as much trouble as one would think though.*
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:16:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »
Unless Sony does including calling, and gets subsidies, this is easily a $400 device. If they can actually get a 720p or 1080p screen on the device they can easily market it as a portable PS3 (market it, not make it true) and convince people to buy the thing. With it's proposed power, screen and functionailty, it might even be $400 on contract like the Galaxy Tab is going to be which it is poised to offer more functinality than.

I agree that PSP2 with a 3D screen would spell trouble for the 3DS. It would make the price and Nintendo's 1st party software the only draws for the system. As much functionality as the second screen offers, it's not really make or break, just a nice additional feature, 3D is make or break because it's still relatively new and thus exiciting.

Hopefully Sony sticks with functionality for its 'excitement factor' (which this time around actually sounds exciting) and they'll sandwich themselves between Apple and Nintendo for competition and maybe take bites out of both markets, while not harming 3rd party support for the 3DS.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2010, 05:46:16 PM »
Got to hand it to Sony. Having a pad on the back eliminates one of the most frustrating things about the Ipad, in that you have to hold it with one hand or get a stand to use it (unless you got big hands like me and can use your thumbs).

I really like the concept art as well and if this thing has 3D, Imma buy it (well depending on the price).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
here is another example of the touch pad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwm5v1RqGI#t=10m16s

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »
Hopefully it won't have 3D, because I would hate to see Nintendo in dire straits.
is your sanity...

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2010, 12:38:25 PM »
Sony has said before that they are going to take a wait and see approach to portable 3D gaming, as in let Nintendo take all the risk and if it works, we'll use it. So now the question is, was the well received 3DS reveal enough to convince Sony to move to 3D?

I'm thinking that since they want to release by holiday season 2011 they won't be able to add in 3D; even proven technology needs to be thoroughly tested on a new platform. The info we've been getting on the device suggests that it's been making the rounds for awhile now, and there's been no mention of 3D, so Nintendo should be okay. Between now and the subsequent upgrades for both systems however, Nintendo needs to shove the 3DS down people's throat in the hope that people will want to stick with them and not buy the PSP2 3D.

It would be quite a departure for them but I hope Nintendo makes a 3DS XL that has a touchpad on the back, and enough horsepower to be a tablet pc.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »
Sony could always later create a PSP2 revision that incorporates 3D, much as how Nintendo revised their DS with the DSi. Another possibility is that 3D could be added to existing hardware with the use of 3D glasses, or some peripheral thing like that. Just like Sony was able to add motion gaming into the PS3 by releasing a new controller...

Sony never fails to rip off Nintendo's ideas. The only question is how soon will the ripoff occur? Will it happen immediately? Will it be added months or years later? Or will it wait until the PSP3 far down the line? In any of those cases its going to happen. It always does.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:45:14 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
The only reason Sony wouldn't incorporate 3D is having to pay Sharp for their screen.

Otherwise, it makes too much sense not to. Sony is a film company as well, so partnering up with Netflix or simply having their own store to stream 3D movies would be a huge plus that even if Nintendo incorporated it, would still blow it out the water due to it also being HD.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:46:17 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »
I'm sure Sony has their own glasses-less 3D screen tech somewhere in the R&D phase, and I'm sure major resources have been funneled into that department to get a fully functional prototype that is production worthy by summer 2011 started since the 3DS announcement back in march.

there is probably a reason why devs have been playing with alpha PSP2 prototypes since months ago yet Sony hasn't officially announce or confirmed a damn thing yet, and my guess would be because the hardware is far from final. I'm sure if they can incorporate 3D at the last minute at a reasonable price before the hardware reveal, I'm sure they will do it.

I'm also sure that it will have an miniHDMI out to hook up to the big 3D tv's  so everyone can watch (with glasses).

I'm still crossing my fingers and toes that Nintendo isn't gonna let a HUGE opportunity like exclusive portable Netflix 3D slip through their hands. They might not sweat it at first since they are the only 3D portable in town, but when everyone else jumps on the bandwagon and starts firing up those Netflix accounts on other 3D devices with bigger screens and diversified software, it would be too late to realize that an exclusivity agreement would have been a no brainer.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/

Could this really be the PSP2?? I doubt it because it's branded SonyEricsson but it's an interesting device nonetheless. Dual analog touch pad, downloadable games, and power similar to iPhone4. No UMD and no memory stick, good moves on Sony's part.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »
We knew Sony was going to use Gingerbread to mke a gaming phone, but I don't think it's the PSP2. It'd break up the market too much. It may run PSP games, but it won't be the PSP2. Sony needs to do something better than a next gen N-gage for that one.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
I don't think that Sony would make the PSP2 the PSP phone, especially if it's an Android device, unless it has some kind of dual booting OS, since this would probably lead to just playing PSP2 games on similar handsets eventually, and for free.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56:29 PM »
Hmmm I did say that it's probably not the PSP2, but now I'm thinking why would Sony make two devices? Then I thought, this is kind of like the iPhone vs iPod touch question. So who knows...

Having 3G would make mobile online gaming much easier and if it works well, the dual analog touchpad could be a very cool innovation. Sony actually seems to be moving in the right direction with their devices, so color me impressed.

Edit: @Bdog

The article says that it will have a special Sony Marketplace for games, so other Android devices won't have access to the games, also I imagine without the slide-out controls it would be difficult to play most games on other devices.

Edit2: I just went back and checked Engadget's article from earlier when they first caught wind of this device, and apparently it is looking to be a first of many, and not all SonyEricsson 'Playstation Phones'. Rather, this phone is to be the first step in improving gaming on Android phones. There will be a special marektplace, but only phones with a similar control configuration will have access to it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:10:58 AM by MaryJane »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »
You don't need access to the marketplace to install stuff on Android phones. Sure there will probably be some new type of protection...but open source is open source.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA