Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551921 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1925 on: April 01, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
There are some half-assed RTSes on the DS but even the iOS has a dearth of real RTSes (but plenty of GalCon clones...).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: April 01, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
There are some half-assed RTSes on the DS but even the iOS has a dearth of real RTSes (but plenty of GalCon clones...).

There are a number of good ones, though. I haven't played it, but Starfront: Collision is supposed to be excellent.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1927 on: April 01, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
http://www.slate.com/id/2289627/

Slate.com says the 3DS sucks. Though it should be noted that the author says "Handheld games aren't really my thing" and "I'm not a big 3-D fan either."

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: April 01, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
http://www.slate.com/id/2289627/

Slate.com says the 3DS sucks. Though it should be noted that the author says "Handheld games aren't really my thing" and "I'm not a big 3-D fan either."

Why do these people even bother reviewing it then?  It's like me reviewing McDonald's new hamburger and saying it sucks but quantifying it with "Fast food really isn't my thing" and "I'm a vegan also".
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: April 01, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »

There are a number of good ones, though. I haven't played it, but Starfront: Collision is supposed to be excellent.

There are some (I'm partial towards Land Air Sea Warfare) but they're disproportionately few compared to the library of games. Same on the DS. A problem is that RTSes require good AI and some processing power to have good pathfinding and physics.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: April 01, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »
I suppose this is as good a place to post this as anywhere, but on my way home from the grocery store today I stopped by my local GS to see if they had a 3DS demo unit.  I've been considering purchasing a 3DS for some of the later announced games.  Turns out they didn't have a demo unit, but they did have one they were just playing with that had Pilotwings in it.  So I start it up, crank that slider to 3D, and then spend the next 30 seconds or so trying to find the precise angle you need to hold the damn thing in to get the 3D effect.  After a good minute just messing around with it, I hand the thing back and head home.  My entire drive home I have a minor headache, which is weird because I usually don't have a problem viewing 3D.  It's the kind of semi-motion sickness headache I get when I ride stuff like Mission: Space or Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey, which use quasi-3D displays to show video that looks a little out-of-focus.

Looks like the 3DS just isn't for me, despite it feeling like a fine machine.  Sure, you can turn the 3D effect off, but what's the point in that when it's the main feature of the machine?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: April 01, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
Yeah, what's the point of playing the Wii if you're going to play games that don't use motion controls, or DS games that don't use the touch screen? Why would anyone want to do that?

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1932 on: April 01, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
I get double vision in PilotWings if the 3D is turned all the way up (I just can't seem to find the right spot, but I get no headaches, which is good), but it works really well in Nintendogs. I don't really mind staying in one spot to see the depth. The Face Raiders 3D also works well, but anything with the AR games is obnoxiously bad with its 3D, probably because you need the view the AR cards close-up.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: April 01, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
Dude. Don't play Pilotwings with it turned up all the way. Put it three-fourths to halfway on Pilotwings. Works perfect. You guys need to experiment.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1934 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »
I got my first StreetPass Mii today!  I didn't think it was ever going to happen.

Oblivion is right, put the 3D halfway fro Pilotwings.  I had a headache after my first play with a demo unit, but now I've been playing hours every day with no headaches.  I find being in my apartment with less light works best.  At night the 3D is great.  Reflections in bright light are a big problem.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1935 on: April 01, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »

Dude. Don't play Pilotwings with it turned up all the way. Put it three-fourths to halfway on Pilotwings. Works perfect. You guys need to experiment.

I thought this indicated that I don't play Pilotwings with the 3D turned up all the way.

I get double vision in PilotWings if the 3D is turned all the way up

And of course I experiment. I'm constantly playing with the depth slider everywhere I can to see what situations look the best in varying degrees of 3D. Pilotwings seems to suffer as 3D increases, but Nintendogs gets better, though I prefer it at 3/4.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 02, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »
So what is the verdict on the touch screen?  Is it a cheap and nasty one that Nintendo got on special in the bargain bin, or is it a nice quality one like something from an Isomething or smart phone?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: April 02, 2011, 01:16:36 AM »
I haven't spent too much time with games that use the touch screen, but it feels better than any of the DS touch screens to me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: April 02, 2011, 05:27:43 AM »
So finally got my 3DS yesterday, and I am quite happy with the system. It is well built, has a solid OS along with packaged software (though the camera really sucks, wish they would have put in better quality cameras, oh well). I found the right angle for 3D almost instantly, and have been playing Pilotwings Resort, which is a lot of fun. I can play it for 10 minutes are so with the 3D up all the way but after that I need to lower it a bit. When I got tired I noticed the 3D blurring a bit, and causing more strain, so I turned it off, which is to be expected. Really though I am quite happy with it, the 3D works great so far, it is quite amazing how much 3D has progressed.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 02, 2011, 05:59:27 AM »
But of course we have to remember what will inevitably happen.  Nintendo will implement 3D into gaming (glasses free), but Sony will perfect it. cough

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: April 02, 2011, 07:31:06 AM »
I play my 3DS with the slider at 80%, maybe my reduced vision prevents headaches but I'm not getting any issues with it.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1941 on: April 02, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
So what is the verdict on the touch screen?  Is it a cheap and nasty one that Nintendo got on special in the bargain bin, or is it a nice quality one like something from an Isomething or smart phone?

The touch screen is really nice.  Noticeably more accurate than the DS's touch screen.  It's not like an iPhone screen, but I like that.  It's more precise.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: April 02, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »

The touch screen is really nice.  Noticeably more accurate than the DS's touch screen.  It's not like an iPhone screen, but I like that.  It's more precise.

I agree as well.  It feels almost, I don't know, like more crisp when I tap it just browsing the OS and typing in stuff and such.  It's odd, but it seems more responsive than both the DS Lite and DSi screens.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
Well finally gotten my hands on it, tried the demo unit which was playing SSF4.  Yeah not the best game to show off 3d effects kinda wished Gamestop used Pilot Wings instead. 

Overall I say what impressed me the most of the demo unit was the analog stick.  It felt great and I was pulling off ultras with utter ease. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: April 03, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »
Yeah, as someone who can't see the 3D, I'm loving the system because of the analog stick. Nintendo really nailed that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: April 03, 2011, 01:30:19 AM »
Yeah, as someone who can't see the 3D, I'm loving the system because of the analog stick. Nintendo really nailed that.

Yeah the analog stick is fantastic, I hated the PSP's stick. Guess it is only fair that Nintendo perfects something Sony implemented more prominently on a handheld.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: April 03, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »
Could the slide pad on the 3DS be a suitable replacement for the analog stick on the Wii nunchuck?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: April 03, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
Some more thoughts after spending considerably more time with my 3DS:

- If I play for more than a half hour, and then look at a computer screen, my eyes play tricks on me and my computer screen looks like it has the 3D depth. 

- I love the concept of Street pass, but am afraid it's only going to work well for people in heavily populated areas.  This will be better once I move to New York, but for the time being I'm in a rural area, and the only one I've encountered so far was a girl in my local Gamestop.

- I like everyone else love the slide pad, and it puts the PSP's nub to shame.

- I also appreciate the widescreen at the top, and the touch screen seems to show much more detail in the pilotwings map than I've seen any other DS game use it

The 3D is going to be like Wii's motion controls.  It'll be what is used to rope people into buying it.  Only a fraction of the games will be using it as a necessary or compelling component of the game.  The rest of the games will use it like Super Street Fighter 4 do: a nice addition, but just an optional enhancement.

Which is fine in my opinion.  I'm just happy to have a system that seems to be much more enabled than the DS.  I'm hoping for a new F-Zero and Smash Bros game on this system.  Also want a Pikmin game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: April 03, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
If I play for more than a half hour, and then look at a computer screen, my eyes play tricks on me and my computer screen looks like it has the 3D depth. 

I've noticed the exact same thing, it is really odd. Even when I watch TV shortly after it my eyes are trying to see 3D.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1949 on: April 03, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »
That's happened to me a few times as well. Glad I'm not the only one.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.