Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551941 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1775 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »
Yeah I guess there's no need to fly off the handle now (or maybe ever), but it's still worrying.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
A unique feature for the 3DS music player is the ability to use an Apple Ipod earbud controller to control the music player.

http://www.infendo.com/you-can-control-3ds-music-player-with-iphone-earbuds/
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 11, 2011, 11:49:28 AM »

Haven't seen this posted and it starts today. NWR why are you not informing me of this? or did I overlook it somewhere?

Nintendo News: Consumers to Discover New Ways to Play During Nintendo 3DS Demo Tour

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--From augmented-reality games to rich 3D visuals that don’t require special glasses, the Nintendo 3DS™ system offers a wealth of new hand-held experiences that must be seen to be believed. To give consumers a firsthand look at these unique features, interactive Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods and mobile Nintendo 3DS Demo Squads will be in select U.S. cities starting March 11, offering sampling opportunities at more than 40 locations in cities nationwide. Visitors are invited to explore the system’s built-in software and play upcoming games, all in advance of the March 27 launch date.

The Nintendo 3DS system includes built-in cameras that let users not only take 3D photos but also incorporate their own likenesses and surroundings into fun games, including the hilarious shooting game Face Raiders™ and compelling AR Games™ such as Archery. Built-in applications also include Mii Maker™, which makes it easy for users to create customized Mii™ characters wherever and whenever inspiration strikes – even using the Nintendo 3DS camera to help generate a Mii character based on a photo after selecting certain details like hair and skin tone.

More than 200 million Mii characters have been created worldwide since the 2006 launch of the Wii™ system, and that number is sure to grow as players discover the portable fun of Mii Maker on Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo 3DS Demo Pod visitors who create a Mii character can commemorate the experience by uploading their Mii character to their Facebook pages and sharing their creations with friends and family via e-mail from an on-site computer.

Offering an extraordinary chance to experience these new games and features in-person, Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods are scheduled to appear at the following locations:

New York City: Grand Central Terminal (Vanderbilt Hall, West Side)
Running March 11-30
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.

Chicago: Citigroup Center (entrance to Ogilvie Transportation Center)
Running March 11-April 3
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.

San Francisco: Pier 39 (Main Entrance Plaza)
Running March 11-April 3
Monday through Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.

Los Angeles: Third Street Promenade (1300 block)
Running March 11-April 3
Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.

In addition to the Mii Maker application, visitors can experience hands-on demos with various launch titles, including Pilotwings Resort™, Steel Diver™, nintendogs™ + cats, Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition, Madden NFL Football, LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™ and Asphalt™ 3D. The Nintendo 3DS system is set to launch at a suggested retail price of $249.99.

For more information about Nintendo 3DS, please visit http://www.nintendo3ds.com.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1778 on: March 11, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
Okay- I just got back from the Chicago 3DS Demo Pod. 

I thought the 3DS looked really nice and slick in person.  The layer-cake styling isn't as pronounced, and the system doesn't feel as big as it looks in photos.  The 3D effect works best for me set to halfway.  I had a little trouble keeping the right angle when playing the AR games, but this was mostly due to the system being tethered.  I got a very mild headache.

I played most of the demos:

Asphalt:  A fun racer- the type you would see on an iPhone.  The 3D was nice, but overall if feels generic.  Makes me really want Mario Kart.

AR Target Shooting:  Really fun.  The camera is a little grainier that I expected, but I had a great time with this.  I kiled the dragon.  I hope they keep a steady stream of cheap AR games coming through the eShop.

Madden: Super boring- but I've never been into Madden.  Feels generic and like the camera is very far away.

Mii Maker: Super inaccurate, but fun to play with.  The new Mii features (better stubble, etc) allowed me to make a more accurate Mii.

Steel Diver: They were only showing periscope mode form some reason?  Pretty cool.  Very simmy.  I could see getting into this.  Slow-paced.

Street Fighter 4: Fun.  I tried the over-the-shoulder mode, and I found it to work great.  It is a little uncomfortable using the D-pad, so I switched to the circle pad.  I wonder if the D-pad will feel better when I'm sitting down and holding the system in my lap?

Pilotwings Resort: This was my favorite demo.  The 3D really added a needed sense of depth.  It's interesting how unaware of it you are as you are playing, but how weird it looks if you turn the 3D off.

Offline Tanookisuit

• View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1779 on: March 11, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
Things I overheard:

An older man asking "does this connect to my TV?  No?  How long until we have glasses-free 3D TVs?"  The Nintendo rep said she didn't know, and the man said, "Of course you don't," and walked away.

A guy asked if the 3DS had WiFi or 3G.  The rep said it had WiFi for connecting to the eShop and playing games, but you wouldn't be able to surf the web on it (oops!). 

A man asked "What does this replace?" and instead of saying it replaces the DS, a rep said it replaces nothing, but that it is "part of the DS family of systems."  This just confused the guy.

These people aren't from Nintendo.  They are from a marketing company based out of New York.  They've had 2 days of intensive training on the 3DS.  They're still learning.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
An older man asking "does this connect to my TV?  No?  How long until we have glasses-free 3D TVs?"  The Nintendo rep said she didn't know, and the man said, "Of course you don't," and walked away.

That's a rude thing to say :( The representative is trained to know about the 3DS, not the future of television technology.

A man asked "What does this replace?" and instead of saying it replaces the DS, a rep said it replaces nothing, but that it is "part of the DS family of systems."  This just confused the guy.

I don't see why the man would want to replace other systems that are perfectly fine. Still, it should have been made clear that this is a successor to the DS, DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL that is leap forward in hardware power.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1781 on: March 11, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
Did you get any photos of the demo pod?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 11, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
I hope you stepped in as a dedicated Nintendo fan and did the proper re-education that we so often have to do.

It would be embarrassing to the hired rep, but atleast he can stop mis-informing everyone he talks to, who will in turn misinform everyone they talk to after that..

Offline Tanookisuit

• View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1783 on: March 11, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »
I didn't get any good photos of the pod (it wasn't that interesting).  I did snap this shot of the street crew right before they left.  They had 3DS units strapped to their waists and went walking around downtown Chicago.

I corrected people a few times, but not every time.  It feels bad to be that know-it-all guy.  For the most part, they were doing a good job, and people were excited!

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 11, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »
Nice impressions  ;D !  I hope to add my own after I attend PAX East.  I'm only going on Sunday with my brother who lives in Boston (being a family man, my days of having a weekend all to myself have long since past).  I'm wicked excited to be able to test drive a few 3DS games before I pick it up in 2 WEEKS :Q besides partaking in  other PAX-induced shenanigans.

Anyway, I'm hoping the lines will be less intense on Sunday being the last day of the con. 

More impressions everyone! No two are the same it seems  ;D !
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: March 14, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »
So PAX East ended yesterday and I went and got to play the 3DS for the first time! Here are my impressions.

The Unit itself: The same size as a DSi, except it feels more solid.  I like the sparkly paint job and layers of color (I played with the blue units). The d pad felt fine and the side pad feels awesome, tight and responsive.  The buttons were clicky and the shoulder buttons didn't feel mushy.  I like the new telescoping stylus and the placement of the earphone jack didn't bother me (I brought my own earbuds so I could test sound and such). The size of the 3D screen was just right, I didn't feel while playing the games that it was too small.  The touch screen certainly felt better, more responsive than both the Lite and the DSi. The home buttons didn't work on the demo unit.

The 3D Screen: The first game I got to look at was Pilot Wings and it was a cool shock to see 3D without glasses.  The slider felt solid and depending on the game, it was easy to adjust the varying degrees of 3D before landing on what was comfortable. I am very happy with the decision to make the borders around the screen black because it really enhanced the "view into another world" sensation that the 3D produces.  Unless you have Parkinson's, it is relatively easy to maintain 3D while holding the system.  Tilting it left and right of course breaks it, but little movements of the 3DS did not break the 3D for me, neither did looking at the touch screen and back.  Tilting the machine forward and back still maintained the 3D as well. As for games, the way that I would describe it, everything appears to be in a layer sandwich. The first layer is where your player controlled character is, the 3rd layer at the far end of the background is the back wall to your traditional 2D scenery, and everything in the middle just kind of floats in a 3D space at varying distances.  This effect is of course more pronounced in polygonal games, but is no less impressive in predominantly 2D side scrolling games.

Pilot Wings:  My first demo.  At first the 3D was not very pronounced because I was facing the sea and sky in the biplane. When I started flying over the town in Wuhu island, the 3D became much more pronounced immediately.  The game played excellently with the circle pad.  The directional pad was being used to pan the camera to the left and right of your vessel.  I played with all three initial vehicles in free flight mode (still timed unfortunately but it was a demo unit after all and when it finished would say thank you for playing our demo).  The plane controlled like the one in Resort and the island looked the same although I didn't have nearly enough time to explore it fully.  The frame rate was between 30 and 45, but I never saw 60. It did not detract from the game nonetheless.  The 3D did make navigating the island a little easier and although most of it was into the screen (like looking into a window), the wind trails from your wings and stars that appeared after hitting points of interests would fly out the screen. It was a neat effect that made me smile.  I never played the original Pilot Wings games so this was all brand new (outside of playing WiiSports Resort) so I was left with a very laid back, easy pace in short sessions impression of this game.  Still getting it at launch, but can't see myself getting this game alone.

DOA Dimensions: This game looks and plays fantastically on the 3DS.  The 3D is used to great effect as the stages are in 3D into the background.  The jump to 60 fps in 2D mode is stark, especially after seeing other games not running at that frame rate, very nice.  Graphically, the game looks great and the characters and backgrounds are very detailed and animate smoothly.  When this releases in NA, I will definitely pick it up.  It will be the first DOA game that I would own.

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition: The game looks great and plays great.  There were demo units at both Nintendo's and Capcom's booth for the game.  The d pad works fine (my preference) and the 3D is great in game.  I didn't spend much time with it because I knew that it was launch game number #1 and I didn't want to spoil to much of it.

Ocarina of Time: I didn't play it, but watched a kid play from behind (from my angle I saw it primarily in 2D) It looked fun and brought back old memories of the game that I haven't played in 13 years. The frame rate was rock solid (unlike the original) and never appeared choppy. Day one purchase for me.

Kid Icarus: This game looked great! The demo started off in a Sin & Punishment (or Space Harrier) like flying section.  Pit is sort of attached to the screen, the far horizon is the 3rd layer, and all the enemies, land masses, and shots fired exist in the space in between.  It was a marvelous effect.  The game controlled fine in the air. Pit flies around using the circle pad, you hold down the left trigger to shoot, and use the stylus on the touch screen (which is divided into a grid of four squares) to direct your reticle on the top screen. Although the control setup doesn't allow for a lot of variation in how you hold the system, I found I was able to play quite comfortably without loosing the 3D despite how hectic things got on screen (to be fair, I did use my right pinkie to balance the system while I played, but the system is light enough even with the added bulk of the cart locks and such that it didn't feel uncomfortable). On the ground controlled fine and I'm sure with practice will become a breeze.  The camera was easy to control (just swipe it and tap down when you want it to stop), so I didn't have the slow turning problem that some have commented on. But given that, it is not an easy pick up and play solution.  I'm looking forward to the game.  I don't know if it's a day one purchase for me, but I do look forward to seeing a more complete version of the game in the future.  I can tell you that it has gotten me real excited for a portable Sin & Punishment though (especially the score attack system and leaderboards).

Other games: I didn't play Steel Diver because I felt like that type of game is best experienced in a more quiet and calm atmosphere where I can take my time getting used to the nuances of it, so I kept it fresh for launch. I also wanted to keep the AR games fresh until launch (my brother was blown away by it as he did not know much about the 3DS and nothing about the AR stuff packed in.) Resident Evil: Mercenaries was playable in many multiple locations, but I just didn't feel compelled to play it given my time constraints.  It looked as good as RE4 though I can say for certain.

Overall Impressions of 3D: I played with all the games with the 3D both on and off.  I found that when I went to 2D, the games lost, I don't know, like...soul. They still looked great (and some cases ran at a smoother frame rate) but they just felt like they were missing something.  It wasn't until I switched it back to 3D that I felt like the game was playing like it was meant to be. My eyes didn't hurt at all, nor did I even feel any nausea, headaches, or general discomfort with the 3D (even while trying to find the sweet spot). It just felt like I was looking at any regular screen, except it was 3D.  To put it into comparison, there were many stereoscopic 3D games displayed at PAX, especially at Nvidia's booth.  Most 3D tvs and Nvidia's 3Dvision uses active shutter glasses to create 3D.  When wearing those I immediately felt my eyes being worked, almost like the muscles attached to my eyes were vibrating.  After about 5 min they began to tire a bit, but after some conditioning by wearing them for longer periods of time while I played the games, the feeling went away.  At movie theaters, I have no problem with seeing that style of 3D in comfort after about couple minutes.  With the 3DS, I did not need an adjustment time, it was comfortable through out.

Conclusion:  I was impressed with the system and the hands-on time has definitely helped to satiate my anticipation for it until it arrives in less than 2 weeks.  it's amazing that despite the many impressions people give, no one seems to have the same experience with the 3D effect.  I was glad to confirm my reaction personally.  I have to say that now that I have finally tested the 3D and some software, I am more excited for the overall package (pack in games, OS, activity log, street and spot pass, pedometer coins, friends list, mii plaza, games, etc.) and really think Nintendo has the potential for an even bigger hit if they (and 3rd parties) utilize the tools here because as a whole they are powerful and can make for a very compelling experience.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:48:10 PM by Razorkid »

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
Wow, thanks for the impressions.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline stardust462

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
I also tried out the 3DS and was very, very impressed. I was on the fence between picking up one of these or an iPad 2, since I can only afford one or the other right now. Trying out the 3DS definitely cemented my decision to buy that.

I don't remember the name of it, but one of the games I tried had you put a card on the table, and the cameras create a game where you environment is part of the game. I had to fire arrows at targets, and on one level it made the table seem like it was going up and down. I really enjoyed that. I also played Street Fighter IV and Lego Star Wars.

I am definitely skeptical of the whole 3D thing going on in entertainment. I remember seeing Alice in Wonderland in IMAX and thinking how unnecessary the 3D technology was. It was cool for like five seconds when she first arrives in Wonderland, but then that's it. I really liked how it worked with the 3DS, especially without glasses, and that you could adjust the 3D settings, and even turn them off. I'll be pre-ordering one tonight for sure.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 15, 2011, 11:17:42 AM »
That was one of the AR (Augmented Reality) games that's packed in the system when you get it.  My brother played that demo also and was wowed by it.

I really like 3D as a concept and in gaming in particular.  Unlike some, I feel that it adds another layer of immersion to the experience in a medium that is generally about immersing the player as much as possible.  Playing in 3D on PC really adds to the experience for a lot of games and watching 3D televised events (like sports and concerts and such) really makes you appreciate how much it puts you further into the experience.  Unfortunately, both forms of consumer level 3D (PC via Nvidia, 3D tvs) are very cost prohibitive on top of the hassles and varying degrees of comfort that wearing glasses bring.  I think the 3DS will be incredibly important to the mass adoption, and more importantly, better implimentation of 3D in games.  It's relatively affordable, it's glasses free, and it's interactive.

Anyway, enough evangelizing  ;) , I'm wicked excited for the system and it's potential.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
First US 3DS TV commercial. The games used in it are Steel Diver, the AR dragon game, and Super Street Fighter 4 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCrftjiCDY

Also first US commercial for Super Street Fighter 4 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLVMdyRNCU&feature
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:14:45 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1790 on: March 15, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
A friend of mine said that he was able to try out the 3DS, as a friend of his imported it from Japan. He actually got headaches from the 3D, which continued even after he stopped using the 3DS. He did have the 3D turned up all the way, however...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:53:30 PM by ThomasO »

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 15, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »
A friend of mine said that he was able to try out the 3DS, as a friend of his imported it from Japan. He actually got headaches from the 3D, which continued even after he stopped using the 3DS. He did have the 3D turned up all the way, however...

Going to question this. Some eye strain has been reported in some people and there is a case that 3D doesn't always work everyone and people do need to play with the settings to find what is right for them. However the headache thing is very suspect as that's what happen with the Virtual Boy and no one has reported anything like that with the 3DS from the various information out there that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Sure he wasn't exaggerating?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:58:42 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1792 on: March 15, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »
Some people just get headaches from 3D in general (I know some people who can't watch 3D movies because they start to feel nausea), it doesn't have anything to do with the 3DS specifically.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1793 on: March 15, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »
I have a quick question.

For those that haven't really watched 3D in any form before and have tried out the 3DS is there any problems adjusting to the 3D?

I'm probably in the minority in this type of situation...
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline tyrian3

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
I can answer that, as I've never watched a 3D movie and I tried the 3DS for the first time last sunday.
with the AR game (target shooting) I tried I had some difficulties adjusting to 3d, but with zelda I had no problem at all, even looking back and forth between the top screen and the bottom (touch) screen. I found that setting the slider around the middle was a good setting for me and I wasn't feeling any extra stress on my eyes or anything. No headaches either!

Note that I have a very good eyesight and I don't wear glasses.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1795 on: March 16, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
Okay thanks for answering. My eye sight is pretty good and I don't wear any glasses so I suspect I will have similar feeling on the 3DS.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 16, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 16, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 16, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
Yeah it was.
Here's the youtube version of the video someone else posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYExuYsxQOQ

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 16, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »
Still interested in playing Super Mario 64 DS with the analog stick, I know the game is not programmed for it and you would still need to press a button to run, but still I'd love to hear some impressions on how the analog controls compare to the D-Pad.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144