Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553745 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1700 on: February 27, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
I understood what you said, I don't understand why you think that.

You claim it's a MAJOR reaon Nintendo delayed the eShop, it isn't. If it is, Nintendo would basically be waiting to give hackers full use of the system, instead of bricking them with the first unannounced update. If in the first update there is new security, hackers simply have to wait for it, then hack away. After that, they no longer need the updates. Why would anyone hack the system BEFORE such a major update only two months away? You don't think hackers don't read the internets?

Also, even if DS backwards compatibility was powered by the 3DS's architecture, I would assume that putting in a DS game would put the system in DS mode that would shut off some power 'sipping' features of the 3DS like; 3D, StreetPass, AR (non-DSi games), etc. In the DS, because there were two slots, you could choose what to load.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 27, 2011, 09:31:25 PM »
The sShop delay in all likelihood has absolutely nothing to do with DS flashcarts. Since the R4 works right out of the box, obviously Nintendo knows that it was going to work for DS games when they started manufacturing the 3DS. It would probably break compatibility if they were able to block the R4 and all other flashcarts (since many of them successfully disguise themselves as retail games upon boot). If they wanted to (or maybe more appropriately - if they could block the R4) block the R4, it would have been blocked from the get-go. Again, this only works for DS mode, and doesn't work for DSi or 3DS mode.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
But that's the thing, it does block the R4 card supposedly and the only thing that is working is something called the R4idsn or something like which I think is also known as something called an Acekard. (I could have this all wroig since I'm getting 3rd hand info from different places)

I don't know if that was the only one that was tried, but from what I was reading, it sounded like that was the only one that was working.

I could have it all wrong, and I stated in my original post that it was my speculation that this could be a major reason (not flash cards specifically, but all the little security things that they wanted to test out before updating with final launch FW)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 27, 2011, 11:48:55 PM »
Just because it's not a legitimate reason doesn't mean it's not the reason Nintendo's using. In fact, looking at their history in this regard, it almost makes it more likely.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: March 01, 2011, 02:09:39 AM »
Mario 3DS... Coming Out Of A Screen Near You!!
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/01/iwata_on_3ds_mario_and_sales/
not exactly... but you'll be striking blocks and stuff
Regarding software, which the paper noted will be the key in expanding the system's userbase, Iwata provided what appears to be some hints at the first 3DS Mario game. Nintendo is experimenting with gameplay where Mario will run into the screen and strike blocks that are floating in the air. "We're making software that is packed with the kinds of surprises and enjoyment that the 3DS can deliver."

He also commented on NGP & Smartphones
Iwata also touched upon the competition. Regarding Sony's NGP platform, he said the need to pay monthly 3G usage fees would alone decrease the customer base. Regarding the success developers have had with Apple's iOS platform, Iwata said, "We're at a period where it will be difficult to keep the value of our content if we are unable to offer experiences that can't be had on Smartphones.

I hope that doesn't mean that they are gonna ignore the experiences that a smart phone CAN provide in favor of only being different. This is the perfect time to be an "AND" company and not an "either-or" company.

Also considering what smart phones are capable of and soon to be capable of, I wonder what kind of games Nintendo has up it's sleeve.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:29:35 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: March 01, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
http://twitter.com/#!/NintendoAmerica/statuses/42644340438339585
Quote from: NOA Twitter
Can’t join us at #GDC? Watch Mr. Iwata’s "Video Games Turn 25" keynote via LIVE webcast tomorrow @ 9a.m. PT. Stay tuned for the link!

anyone care to make predictions?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:42:24 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1706 on: March 01, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
It will start around 3 minutes late.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: March 01, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »
www.instantrimshot.com

I meant about what will be talked about, shown, revealed &/or announced

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: March 01, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
www.instantrimshot.com

I meant about what will be talked about, shown, revealed &/or announced

Last Story and Xenoblade will be announced for north America.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1709 on: March 01, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
I'd like to thank Apple for being *censored* and running the iPad 2 announcement at the EXACT SAME TIME as Iwata's keynote.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1710 on: March 01, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
Here is the link to Iwata's keynote.
http://gdc2011.nintendo.com

Does someone want to start a GDC 2011 topic?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
http://twitter.com/#!/NintendoAmerica/statuses/42644340438339585
Quote from: NOA Twitter
Can’t join us at #GDC? Watch Mr. Iwata’s "Video Games Turn 25" keynote via LIVE webcast tomorrow @ 9a.m. PT. Stay tuned for the link!

anyone care to make predictions?
New Zelda trailer shown. Could be Skyward Sword, could be OoT 3DS.

Yeah, I like to play it safe.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: March 01, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
It'd be hard and somewhat pointless to show a trailer for OoT 3D.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: March 01, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Here is the link to Iwata's keynote.
http://gdc2011.nintendo.com

Does someone want to start a GDC 2011 topic?

I'll make one over on the Nintendo Console board since Iwata will more then likely show a new Skyward Sword trailer which will consume the majority of any discussion, making that board the better choice.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: March 01, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »
Wii 2. It makes sense since the 3DS is out so early in the year - Wii 2 will be out at the end of the year, will be backwards compatible with Wii and GameCube, but via emulation (still supporting actual discs though). It will be like a system on a chip like the PS3s that had the EE in them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:55:33 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: March 02, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
Watch Mr. Iwata’s "Video Games Turn 25" keynote

"Video Games Turn 25"?  Videogames turned 25 a LONG time ago.  Even Nintendo as a videogame company is over 25.  Do they mean the NES?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1716 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
I think when it was announced that his keynote address was gonna be called that, it was stated that he was referring to GDC (although I don't know if that is right because it was started in 1988).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
The first time the title of Iwata's speech was discussed not enough for you guys?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: March 02, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Extremely early builds of MegaMan Legends 3DS for anyone that's interested
http://blog.daletto.net/dash3/archives/2585488.html

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: March 03, 2011, 02:52:56 AM »
According to Mark Rein, if the 3DS could handle the unreal engine then his company would develop for it. I guess this nixes my hopes of a handheld Gears of War in 3D.  :'(

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/02/mark-rein-if-3ds-could-deliver-unreal-engine-3-wed-be-on-it/

Why can't Epic's developers create a modified version of their engine to accomodate the 3DS hardware? Perhaps they are too lazy or the system may not be able to handle the engine.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: March 03, 2011, 03:07:18 AM »
Gears of War wouldn't work without a second analog stick anyway. Also, I'm pretty sure Microsoft has paid enough that it's not coming to anyone else's hardware.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: March 03, 2011, 07:00:51 AM »
I had an idea for a Horror game the other day. The way you won was basically not to get scared. It would use all three cameras. The one facing you would detect if you were freaking out; the others would generate AR nightmares for you to freak out to.

Don't know if you can program an everything but IR filter (i.e. night vision) for the AR cameras, but it'd be sweet if you could sit in the dark and play it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1722 on: March 03, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
All the new facial features included in the 3DS Mii Maker.

In addition to rotating and moving facial features, you can also make them thinner or thicker.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:09:03 AM by ThomasO »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: March 03, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
I got to play a demo unit with Kid Icarus at CeBit. The 3D effect seems pointless to me, while I could indeed see it all it did was make it feel like Pit was in front of my face while I was aiming at stuff which was just annoying. The Steel Diver rolling demo also suffered from the 3D look, it amplified the effect of the weaker graphics and made it look like the sub was tiny (instead of merely seen from far away).

I still don't get why the press was so amazed by it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: March 03, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
Why can't Epic's developers create a modified version of their engine to accomodate the 3DS hardware? Perhaps they are too lazy or the system may not be able to handle the engine.

It is probably the simple matter that Nintendo doesn't care so they make zero effort to accomodate Epic and Epic doesn't feel like jumping through extra hoops that Sony and Microsoft don't make them jump through.

The lack of the Unreal engine on the Wii is a big reason why the third party support sucks.  I highly doubt it would impossible to have something running on it but is Nintendo actively seeking out a relationship with Epic?  Are they showing any interest or are willing to work with them at all?  I doubt it judging by Nintendo's track record with third parties.

I'm sure if Nintendo approached Epic with the intention of getting that engine on the 3DS and were willing to provide assistance in getting it working it would happen.