Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553691 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1100 on: September 29, 2010, 12:00:40 AM »
Where is the live blogz?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 29, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »
I think those are generally games we already know, with exceptions to the ones there's already buzz about, that are revealed.  I'm guessing those are the bold ones.

your're right. We still needed a translation though

Quote from: translation
Samurai Warriors Chronicle
Resident Evil Revelations
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Dynasty Warriors
Ninja Gaiden
Dead or Alive - Dimensions
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Chocobo Racing 3D
Super Black Bass
Super Monkey Ball
Sonic
Rika-chan 3DS
Animal Crossing
Kid Icarus
StarFox 64 3D
Steel Diver
Nintendo 3DS
nintendogs + cats
Mario Kart
PilotWings Resort
Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
a Kororinpa
a Deca Sporta
a Bomberman
a Gundam
a Super Robot Wars
a Dragonball
Pacman & Galaga
Ridge Racer
Harvest Moon 3D
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Crash-City GP
VS-robo
Class of Heroes
Combat of Giants - Dinosaur 3D
Ghost Recon Tactics
Splinter Cell 3D
Driver 3D

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 29, 2010, 12:53:45 AM »
I'm in the IRC chat with UncleBob, Megabyte and others: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/chat

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:41 AM »
Final 3DS Design

http://yfrog.com/0p9esqj

until the 3DSL of course.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 29, 2010, 01:25:36 AM »
It looks the same.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »
Welp, IRC just crashed.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 29, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
$300...you've got to be kidding me?  Even if they take exchange rates into account (which are going to get worse) we will be lucky if we get it for $250.  That's a pretty outrageous price point.  Especially from nintendo who always tries to keep it cheap and aimed at all consumers.  Even $250 with a pack in game and I'm a little annoyed. 

That being said VC gameboy.  Hopefully it willg row to include gba, wonderswan, neogeo color, gamegear maybe even lynx.  That eb really cool.

But seriously $300 is a huge deal breaker for me and  in my opinion going to hurt them outside of the initial launch hype.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1108 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I hope that Sonic game is Sonic Chronicles 2.

Highly unlikely. It's just the Sonic game they announced at E3 and Takashi Iizuka talked about doing a Sonic game on 3DS that was 2D and and fast paced, basically original Sonic.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 29, 2010, 09:47:30 AM »
So we're looking at $250-$300 with a packed in 2GB SD card? ($250 is my ceiling)

How much onboard storage?
any tech specs?
Details on how the OS works other than Home button interrupting your game? The Wii does that, so I hopr they meant you can return to the menu without actually exiting the game.

Tag mode sounds cool, looking forward to seeing how they use it though.

Black & Blue are the JPN Launch Colors and Feb 26th Launch Date JPN, March for EUR/US
Is there anything else I missed?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1110 on: September 29, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
Other than no US or EU launch dates announced, correct. Some other threads have other news, like Nintendo confirming you will be able to re-download DSiWare games on 3DS (although to a limited number of systems), and confirming Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance games for a handheld Virtual Console on 3DS.

$250 seems likely based on other systems from Nintendo and the conversion from Japanese prices.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1111 on: September 29, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
Here's a video that shows back lit buttons, but it's not as we've discussed exactly. It looks like the Right Shoulder button lights up when you've traded or collected new data. You can also see in this video a person switching from a game, to the Home menu and back.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2010/3ds/conceptMovHigh.html

Here's a list of what the system comes with, specs included:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/29/3ds_price_date_specs/

250 is high, but depending on what games are out at launch will determine on if I get it then or later.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 29, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
I think $250 is if we are lucky.  Man if its bare bones and no pack in that is pretty rough.  Anyone else kinda amused Nintendo is making the same mistake Atari, Sega, Nokia, Sony hell everyone else except wonderswan and neogeo made launching a handheld at console price.  History has shown us it didn't work and nintendo did well cause it was at a mass market price especially affordable for kids who handhelds are better suited for.  Personally I like underdog Nintendo way better than king fo the world Nintendo of the last 3 years.  Seriously if anyone can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory it is Nintendo.

Now what will happen?  PSP2 at a resaonable price?  Or will it be even more outrageous?  Knowing Sony they will be idiots and sell it for like $500.  But If PSP2 dev isn't that far along maybe they should consider being the budget item.

Also man this makes iphone especially the cheaper ones a way bigger deal.  Why would parents buy their kids 3DS for $250-300 plus games (which for all we know are going to be $40-50) when they could get a touch for $100 and give them points cards here and there?

Hate to be a negative nancy but I think Nintendo messed up big time...

but if they bundle OoT 3D with it and charge $300 I'de probably begrudingly buy it.

Edit;  Nintendo's stock is plummeting between from this price point and profit forecast cuts.  Investors are mad.  Sounds like form the various business sources that they were trying to get it done for japan before xmas.  Also analyst say that Y25k instead of Y20k is a major factor in why stocks are falling.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:25:42 AM by KisakiProject »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 29, 2010, 11:25:25 AM »
Hubris is what compelled Nintendo to make the $300 price tag and I hope they get smashed for it. All of my interest was just cut in half because I wanted this device at $200. I mean it is as powerful than the wii and that system is reatiling for $200.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:55:21 AM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 29, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
If the American media reports on the 3DS as they did the iPad, $300 might work for Nintendo, but $250 will make it seem like a bargain. Not only does it play highly detailed games, but in plays them in 3D without glasses (a rather novel concept to most people who have not been following the 3DS's development), and it also has a 3D camera, another novelty that will be big in the future when glasses-free, 3D digital picture frames start arriving using the same tech as the 3DS screen. Though, I wonder if Nintendo should have used higher res for the 3D camera(s).

My biggest fear/anticipation is of the mid-life 3DS redesign. It was so well received and doted on at E3 that Sony has to be thinking of a 3D PSP2, and don't be surprised if next year's ipod/iphone lineup isn't also 3D. In order to compete, I think Nintendo is going to have make serious changes to the 3DS, including higher res cameras, more robust internet features, and maybe even a 4G antenna (AT&T and Verizon are launching their 4G's networks starting small later this year, and fully next year).

What's up with the 3DS dock? Is it inductive charging? Will it operate like the touchstone for the Palm Pre, and change the face and functions of the 3DS when it's on the dock?

Also there are a lot of things going to be bundled in with the 3DS, and I wonder how much NOA is going to push the "augmented reality" cards. Such gimmicks (for lack of a word with less negative connotation) work better in Japan, (as would tag mode since it so much more densely populated and their adults are less embarrassed to be seen playing video games in public) like that card reader attachment for the gba. But I said all that because I was going to say that a "full" game (as opposed to a "3DSware" type of game, or demos) seems unlikely. Demos + built-in fun software (like the Mii stuff, and other 3D camera apps) + AR cards + ability to stream 3D content (hopefully not just from dedicated server, but also like youtube3D and ESPN3D) + 2GB memory card = enough bundled in already, at least imho.

Also, the design is slightly different; the nub is no longer the color of the system.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1115 on: September 29, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
  Why would parents buy their kids 3DS for $250-300 plus games (which for all we know are going to be $40-50) when they could get a touch for $100 and give them points cards here and there?

The cheapest iPod Touch is currently $229.  Not $100.  Also, I love my iPhone, but it is seriously gimped for gaming.  I just bought RE 4 for iPhone and all I can think is how I wish I was playing this with buttons. 

iPod doesn't do 3D (yet), and the base model is barely less expensive.  iPhone is only affordable with $100 per month contracts.  People are buying them anyway.  I think the 3DS price point, while I wish it were lower, is the right way to go.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1116 on: September 29, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »
Also, I can't se how 3D would work if it was added to the iPod or iPhone.  I can only see it being useful for watching movies.  You can't game in 3D with your fingers all over the screen- the effect would be broken. 

And Maryjane, I think adults in the US play games in public more and more, thanks to smartphones.  I think that stigma is all but gone.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #1117 on: September 29, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »
The 3DS would only be $200 if they took the DS and added 3D screens and cameras to it, without improving graphics at all. If Nintendo did that, you'd all be saying "These graphics suck. I wish I could have paid more for better graphics."

I don't think the expensive price point will be a problem. The price will come down eventually. And in the meantime, the original DS is still going strong.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:23 PM »
Also, I can't se how 3D would work if it was added to the iPod or iPhone.  I can only see it being useful for watching movies.  You can't game in 3D with your fingers all over the screen- the effect would be broken. 

And Maryjane, I think adults in the US play games in public more and more, thanks to smartphones.  I think that stigma is all but gone.

You perfectly explained how 3D would work on the ipod/iphone: watching movies, and also T.V. Mobile T.V is growing, and glasses free 3D mobile T.V could help it. Also for music, those weird visualizations that go with the music, and they could also include a cheap 3D camera like Nintendo, and all the apps that go along with that.

And maybe it's just where I live, (NJ) but I never see adults playing video games in public, and I take the bus often enough to go to Newark and NYC. I see people with smartphones, but I've seen them more often using them to watch youtube clips than playing mobile games.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 29, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »
You'll be able to transfer your already purchased download software to 3DS. This includes DSi Ware games from DSi and DSi LL.

I wonder how it does that. It gives me hope that the Wii 2 will have a similar feature.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 29, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
And Tanooki, I, just thought: having two screens will give Nintendo a serious advantage in the 3D movie/T.V/picture department as the 3D effect would never have to be broken while you edit, fast forward, rewind or otherwise interact with what's being shown in 3D.

One other thing. The 3DS OS:

The first icon is the game, the question mark is the AR cards, the next seems to be like the WiiChannel mail you get telling you how much time you spent playing, and possibly how many people you meet and exchange info with. On the bottom; wifi, Mii channel, and pedometer. Then next to that it also looks like a music channel. Then there are icons along the top which going from left to right look like: brightness, possibly two choices for menu view, messaging (which I hope can be utilized in wifi), an icon I don't know (maybe something like Facetime, maybe just the camera), the icon the girl presses to view the updates she got in Tag mode, and the browser. There is more space to the right, as indicated by the arrow icon, which will likely be for 3DSware and V.C like on Wii, but I was hoping for something a little more robust, so hopefully there's more to the OS than meets the eye. Which also begs the question: when is the full reveal going to be?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 29, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
$250 seems a little steep though I wan't really planning on buying it at launch anyway so it's not a big deal to me personally.  I think we're getting what we pay for.  The 3D concept is pretty damn cool and then this thing has graphics comparable to the Cube and Wii.

Honestly the 3D looks like a neat gimmick but if it was the sole new feature of this it would be pretty damn weak.  As Nemo points out the other option is like the Wii where we pay for an entire new system that has some new features but is otherwise pretty much the same hardware.  I know that not everyone feels this way but I feel ripped off by the Wii and I would feel the same way about the 3DS if it was just the same thing... IN 3D.  This is the direction I want Nintendo to go with all future systems.  I don't want the Wii 2 for example to be just the Wii with some new gimmick feature.  I think having a step-up in hardware is a mandatory change.

Plus boosting the hardware seems to get devs more interested than any unique feature does.  The Wii has attracted jack **** support with its model while the PS3 and X360 with their more traditional hardware boost have healthy support despite a smaller market share.  I don't think devs would be interested in the 3D stuff alone.  The DS provided a clear hardware jump from the GBA and a lot of the best games take advantage of just that.  There aren't a lot of games that rely entirely on the touchscreen to stand out compared to GBA games.  Most of them make use of the better hardware.  The 3DS works as a successor even without 3D or the cameras and that's the model to go with.  The gimmicks are gimmicks and can't carry the system by itself.  And the reality is that better hardware costs more money.

I think the 3DS will do fine if it has good games.  The casual audience is a little unknown.  They bought the DS and the Wii but they've never been asked to upgrade before.  We don't know what it would take to make them go to a newer model.  I think something that really shows off the 3D stuff is the best bet but for all we know this might just not work.  Casuals and non-gamers might be cool with sticking to the same thing for good and that's that.  It was always a risk Nintendo was going to face at some point.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 29, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
I was very happy with the Wii price point years ago, but as of today I am not happy with the power of the system. The only games that ever looked good to me were Mario, Red Steel 2, wii sports resort, and i'm not interested games like Gears of War enough to get another system. All the games I have are a blast, I just wish they were prettier. At this point I wish I payed an extra 50-100 back then for some better hardware.

Now with the DS I think Nintendo has dug its way into every corner of the world. The world is absolutley sold on the concept. Same with 3D, it is hotter then it has ever been, and without glasses people are going to eat it up. Though I don't mind the graphical capabilities in hand helds as much since the  screen is so small anyway but if this is a hint at the direction for the next home console I am happy. I will gladly pay $350-400 for what ever they dish out, as long as it is built really well.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1123 on: September 29, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
$250 + is way too expensive. The 3DS is not a console.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 29, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »
I would guess the full reveal will be at CES in January.