Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551954 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #950 on: July 29, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »
...But I don't think they'd be releasing it early. If it comes out this year as opposed to early next year, it's not an issue of rushing it, or at least that's how I see it.

The reason why there is so much speculation is because no one knows if it is ready for fall or not.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 29, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
I doubt it will come out this year.  They won't release a system early just because they had a few losses.  Systems need to be released when its time and rushing them is a terrible idea.Hi Xbox  It also doesn't give anybody nearly enough time to get ready for it.  You can't announce and release so close together usually.
Is that so....
Quote from: Wikipedia - DS
On September 20, 2004, Nintendo announced that the Nintendo DS would be released in North America on November 21, 2004 for US$149.99.[18] It was set to release on December 2, 2004 in Japan (¥15000);[19] on February 24, 2005 in Australia ($199.95);[20] and on March 11, 2005 in Europe (£99.99/€149.99).
Quote from: Wikipedia - Wii
On September 14, 2006, Nintendo announced release information for Japan, North and South America, Australasia (Oceania), Asia and Europe, including dates, prices, and projected unit distribution numbers. It was announced that the majority of the 2006 shipments would be allotted to the Americas, and that 33 titles would be available in the 2006 launch window.[21] The Wii was launched in the United States on November 19, 2006 at $249.99. It was later launched in the United Kingdom on December 8, 2006 at £179.

I'd say there is a pretty strong chance of history repeating itself here.

Also remember that back at GDC, devs were saying that they were told to aim at a late 2010 launch, so their games should be completed this year if they were planning to be launch titles.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 29, 2010, 02:29:57 PM »
http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/29/nintendo-uk-hints-at-sub-200-pricing-for-3ds/

“Price, we haven’t made any kind of announcement at the moment, but for everyone who already knows, you know, the Nintendo DSi is available for around £129.99,” said Honeywell at a Nintendo event in London earlier this week.

He went on to add: “The Nintendo DSi XL, with the larger screens, is around £159.99. So obviously, it’s going to fit, kind of, somewhere within that kind of architecture.”

Place Yer Bets people. place yer bets.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #953 on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »
Oh, I fully expect a November release for the 3DS in America.  It makes too much sense to do it.  Holiday season, hello? Big BIG bucks to be made there.

...just like how we'll see the next home console from Nintendo holiday next year.  Just watch..
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 29, 2010, 03:33:55 PM »
I said in the prediction thread November 21, 2010, and I stand by that prediction.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 29, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
Loosing their spot? Really? I would keep those shares if it were me.

Yeah, it would be pretty short-sighted to sell your shares just months before the release of what's speculated to be the most successful handheld ever.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:03:05 PM by Guitar Smasher »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 29, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
I said in the prediction thread November 21, 2010, and I stand by that prediction.

That sounds like a very solid prediction. I would place a rather large bet no it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 29, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »
Yeah, it would be pretty short-sighted to sell your shares just months before the release of what's speculated to be the most successful handheld ever.

If it's speculated to be the most successful handheld ever then that information is already included in the current stock price.  Stock prices are only affected by new, unexpected information.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #958 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:05 PM »
A november release does make all the sense in the world.

That, and all the reasons discussed already, are why it will release in November, 2011.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 29, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »
If they want a competitive advantage they'll need to release it sooner than an entire year and half from now.

I think November is likely and March 2011 is the definitely "by this time" date.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #960 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
A november release does make all the sense in the world.

That, and all the reasons discussed already, are why it will release in November, 2011.

Including the one where Nintendo said By End Of Fiscal Year 2011 (which ends March 31st 2011)?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #961 on: July 29, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
I know they just declared a loss and all, but I don't think NOA really wants to release the 3DS quite yet honestly.  I also think the games that will be ready this holiday won't be very plentiful.

If I were NOA, I would consider letting Japan release this holiday, and then delaying NA release an entire year from then.  This will give them the opportunity to lower the price of the DS for christmas and sell a bunch more. Let the new lower price drive a bunch of hardware when the new Pokemon launches in March. And all the while let the launch lineup for the 3DS grow and be awesome.

And all that said... I think November is EXTREMELY unlikely.  You may see them do something crazy and launch it along side the new Pokemon in March though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:11:52 PM by Pale »
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #962 on: July 29, 2010, 09:26:02 PM »
Systems need to be released when its time and rushing them is a terrible idea.Hi Xbox  It also doesn't give anybody nearly enough time to get ready for it.  You can't announce and release so close together usually.
Nintendo DS also says hi.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 29, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »
I think Nintendo wants to release it this year, and will do so if they can do it with a decent software lineup. That's the biggest variable in this situation, and we don't really have any clue of what that situation is.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 29, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »

If it's speculated to be the most successful handheld ever then that information is already included in the current stock price.  Stock prices are only affected by new, unexpected information.
Right.  But it's still short-sighted to sell your stock because of a single quarter loss (which is to be expected given where they are in their business cycle).  Even if the next quarter is equally poor (which it will likely be).  At least wait until the 3DS launches and make a judgment.  At the very least it will sell well, but most likely it will sell out.  So while it's possible the stock price may drop marginally, it's a risk worth taking if only to see the possible rewards of a business in super-demand.

If someone's still concerned about profit levels remaining down, consider the widespread support from AAA devs/pubs, and imagine the profits from 3rd party sales you'll see.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #965 on: July 30, 2010, 06:34:51 AM »
I think this is why Nintendo is stressing some enhanced classics.  Cheaper classics with one as a pack in would be smart...and then perhaps 2 Nintendo launch titles that are original would be a ok launch.  Top that with instant Virtual Console support...which was purposely held back from the DSi for the 3DS...and knowledge that 3rd parties will get games available for launch...just to rack in the money.  And I think it is possible for a launch this year.  But, I believe Nintendo wants a launch this year in JAPAN.  I believe March next year will be the world wide launch...which will give Nintendo time to sell out a few times in Japan and get production ready for the world.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 30, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Gamespot: Nintendo 3DS extended hands on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofAcD7DZ3Jw

edit:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I wasn't expecting any RE at 3Ds launch, but I was hoping for some SSFIV 3D when I pick up my 3DSthis Xmas ;)

Looks like neither are coming this fiscal year ending March 2011.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/30/capcom_no_3ds_releases/
Quote from: Andriasang
During a Q&A session at an investors briefing today, Capcom reps were asked if 3DS games are included in its projections for the current fiscal year. The response was: "We announced Resident Evil Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition at E3, but these are not included in our plan for this fiscal year."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:18:25 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #967 on: July 30, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
Considering that just last week Capcom said Street Fighter IV was only about 10% complete, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell it was gonna be out this year even if 3DS is released. I wouldn't expect the game to come out until next summer.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 30, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
I remember that... sorta, but if they got that much ready and it's only 10%, and I figure it's mostly a port of a game with additional features, then getting the other 90% done in 5-7months isn't impossible.

I was thinking of a launch window release, and now it's confirmed that it won't be out before April 2011. I guess it still could be a Launch window game, depending on when the system is released, but I was hoping for some SSFIV 3D at launch, even if that launch was in March 2011.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 30, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »
I can't help but think Nintendo is leading us on.

First they announce the 3DS in some obscure press release.

Then they show it off at E3 but only with little demos and trailers.

Then they send out a press release saying that they will announce the release date of the 3DS on the 28th of September.

Then a little later they report a loss.

.....this is following a pattern here.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #970 on: July 30, 2010, 07:12:43 PM »
Are you saying that you think Nintendo is going to release the 3DS sooner than expected now?

If so, I'm game. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #971 on: July 30, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
I can't help but think Nintendo is leading us on.

First they announce the 3DS in some obscure press release.

Then they show it off at E3 but only with little demos and trailers.

Then they send out a press release saying that they will announce the release date of the 3DS on the 28th of September.

Then a little later they report a loss.

.....this is following a pattern here.

They only confirmed the 3DS because a news outlet was basically getting ready to do a story on it. We got a ton of info at E3 (although some people here don't think that). The loss was reported before they announced the September event.

And what "pattern" do you think you see?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #972 on: July 31, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »
Actually this is been part of the new Nintendo behavior towards media.

They like to hint at things.  Tell you bits of information and when you will find out more.  It helps keep their name in the news and a buzz around the products.  It is smart, because it keeps Nintendo in the news, and on the minds of the consumers.  The Wii was really the first system that did this well...and Nintendo is doing all the time in interviews now.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 31, 2010, 03:40:43 PM »
There is one key title that has me thinking a late November 2010 release for the 3DS and that game is Madden.  EA is currently developing Madden for the 3DS.  Madden is due for release in a week or so, I think Aug 10 to keep pace with the beginning of training camp and the preseason of the NFL.  I cannot see EA release Madden on the 3DS so far into the NFL season so I can't think of a 2011 launch.  November is midway, give or take, through the NFL season so releasing a new Madden at that time could still be a success.

Another thing that has got me thinking recently, specifically about the movie function of the 3DS, is the new droid cell phone that just came out that has Blockbuster pre-installed.  This is the first I've heard of a service like Netflix on a cellphone.  Could whatever software/service Blockbuster is running on Droid be what Nintendo will use on the 3DS?  Blockbuster is in desperate need of new approach to combat Netflix and TV provider's on-demand services.  Having Blockbuster software in the 3DS, through pre-installed or download purchase, would be huge for them. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:16:47 AM by Manny »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 31, 2010, 04:49:51 PM »
I would have much preferred Netflix pre-installed, and I'm still waiting for a Netflix app for Android.

Nintendo already has experience working with Netflix for the Wii, so I really hope Netflix is where the company they do business with.
Netflix would be in a good position to start selling digital download copies too, it's the 3rd step in owning the internet movie arena.