Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553696 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #925 on: July 18, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »
It could have a Unified Memory Architecture like the Xbox 360.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 18, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
What's all this crap about numbers?  As efficient as technology is these days, numbers don't mean a thing.  Just use your damn eyes when you get your hands on our beautiful final product.  :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 21, 2010, 04:02:21 PM »
But how can I masturbate over videochat while battling with Pikachu whilst complaining to NWR that Nintendo is incompetent?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 21, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »
Figure something out, try to be creative.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
But how can I masturbate over videochat while battling with Pikachu whilst complaining to NWR that Nintendo is incompetent?

It's called mastertasking your multibating.

But you're either gonna have to learn how to type with your feet, play Pokemon with your feet, do the other thing with your feet(which would be amazing) or grow a 3rd hand.

Offline Ponch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: July 21, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
I hope you can get your urges under control before the 3DS is released, otherwise the only Pokemon you'll be playing for awhile is with Uncle Tookie. 

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »
But you're either gonna have to learn how to type with your feet, play Pokemon with your feet, do the other thing with your feet(which would be amazing) or grow a 3rd hand.
But I thought that was the 3rd hand.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #932 on: July 23, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »
It's more like a fist, to be specific.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 25, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
Street Fighter IV 3DS

IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/25844b9.jpg[/IMG]

And for those doubting the graphical output of the 3DS...

3DS

PS3/360

The 3DS pic is a pic taken from a projector screen, but you can see all the same details with very comparable graphics.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #934 on: July 25, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »
Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (no 3DS) is looking pretty good, I hope the gameplay holds up too.

Not a big deal, but 3DS games use the "3D" name, not the "3DS" name.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #935 on: July 25, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
I am beginning to think this game will have no 3D functionality to get these graphics, which is ok by me....having a portable Street Fighter will be worth it...and it says it will have added features.

I am hoping for at least 1-2 new characters for this version of the game...and perhaps a Tag Team mode?  That would rock.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 25, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
Apparently, the arcade version of Super Street Fighter IV has 2 extra character slots. If Capcom follows the pattern of new version releases (SFA3 on PSP had 3 additional characters, for example), I would expect additional characters, though I doubt they'll be brand new. They are a good amount of characters from Alpha and III they could include.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 25, 2010, 11:32:12 PM »
I pray the analog slider is good for joystick combos. (d-pads just don't work for me. need an arcade pad to play these games)
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 26, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
I am beginning to think this game will have no 3D functionality to get these graphics

As TJ Spyke pointed out, the game is called Street Fighter IV 3D Edition.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 27, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »
I guess there was a UK 3DS event and here are some impressions from it.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/07/27/nintendo-3ds-first-play-pilot-wings-nintendogs-and-cats-3d-camera/
Sadly, we can’t show you much, as Nintendo don’t want to soil the promise the 3DS holds by letting a bunch of non-3D stills of the game play out of the bag. It’s not worth trying to capture this in images either – it’s one case where you really have to see it to believe it.

The full 3D capacity of the Nintendo 3DS is best tested with the 3D camera. The two front mounted cameras can take a picture, then squish it to make a 3D image. There’s an extra 3D slider for this function, displayed on the lower screen, aside from the physical slider on the right hand side of the top screen.

This slider display, is to control the 3D, but more in the sense of setting the depth control of the image. So, take the photo, and it’ll look like double vision, but slide the 3D depth control, and the photo will slip into a 3D image that really pops.

and it goes on to talk a little about Pilotwings 3DS and Nintendogs & Cats

I also think that page will continue to be updated with more impressions as they get them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 27, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
I don't know how I missed this, but IFC (Independent Film Channel) has been interviewing Reggie Fils Aime in a 3 part series
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

They talk about E3 & Zelda in Part 1; Sales & 3rd Party Support in Part 2; and Vitality Sensor, Hardware Dev Cycle, Kid Icarus & Other content such as Movies and Appstore in Part 3
Quote from: Part 3
IFC: There's a lot of talk about other content partners, non-game content partners showing up on the 3DS. What's going to be the delivery system there? Download, SD cards?

RFA: We haven't finalized it. We haven't finalized the business terms for something like movies. But the great news is that we do have a variety of different options.

IFC: I feel like consumers are so used to going into an online hub, be it an App Store or whatever, and getting their content that way. Do you guys feel confident in building such an infrastructure or are you going to leave it up to the partners, the movie studios and such?

RFA: Let's take this out of specifically movies. One of the things I love about this company is that we constantly look at our performance, and even when we are dominating a particular generation, we look hard to say what can we do better. And as we sit here today, we know we have to do digital better. And so, we will do digital better. How that looks will be different than what current players do in digital.

Why? Because we're compelled to innovate, we're compelled to bring this experience forward in a way that in our view is more compelling for the consumer. And so, I can't and I won't give you the details of our digital strategy, but what I will tell you is that our digital strategy will be significantly more robust, significantly more compelling than what we have done today.

IFC: So you can't tell me the details. Can you tell me when we might expect this evolution to happen? From a practical standpoint and if you're waiting too long to rollout, then people just may be into it.

RFA: That is very true. What I can tell you is when you rollout a new hardware, it's a perfect time to roll out this type of step-change.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »

Is there a bit of a teaser with regard to what we saw on the trailer, and in the name "Skyward Sword"? It seems to indicate that there might be some kind of vehicular element or something.

[At] the developer roundtable, Mr. Aonuma shared the skyward element of this game. The storyline goes that Link is living in a cloud world and finds a way to go down to the ground. And the gameplay will take you between this ground world and the sky world.

Right. Kind of the sailing in "Wind Waker."

So that's the traversal.

Sounds like flying is going to be the new sailing.

Considering Jonny's comments on the last RFN, this is funny:

we keep working on it and 3D has been stock in our heard for 15 years.

Okay.  Going back to what?

Virtual Boy.

So, you're saying there's a legacy there.

Absolutely. Second, we were fortunate that we have software developers side by side with our developers.  And when the software developer comes up with an idea that can't be done with the current system, that's when hardware development for the next generation truly begin to earnest.
Project Sora, which began what?  Just over a year ago. You know, I wasn't there but I suspect someone came forward with an idea that said, you know, the technologies at the point where a 3D game can be done and we have got a perfect franchise to do it with, and it's "Kid Icarus" [which started as Project Sora].

So if I can paraphrase, you're saying essentially, "Hey, we have got this tech that can do this."  And then--

It starts with, "We've got an idea." We have been working with this technology for a long time, suddenly, the tech capability has caught up with our vision and we have this creative idea to bring it to life, now it's time to go.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:25:04 PM by Bit.Trip.Rowsdower »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
What did Johnny say in the last RFN?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »
Basically that Nintendo flat-out lies about having such great new ideas that only new hardware can make possible, but they really just like doing it to make $$. Now here's Reggie back on the All About New Ideas! train.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #944 on: July 27, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
I don't think Johnny could be more wrong on that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: July 29, 2010, 04:57:05 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-29/nintendo-posts-first-quarter-net-loss-of-288-5-million-on-lower-ds-sales.html
Nintendo Co., the world’s largest maker of video-game consoles, posted its first quarterly loss in more than two years, as the stronger yen cut the value of overseas earnings and demand for DS handheld players fell.
[...]
Nintendo said a lack of new game titles hurt sales and today kept its outlook for annual profit to drop to the lowest in four years as the number of Wii consoles sold is projected to fall for a second year. President Satoru Iwata plans to introduce a 3-D model of the DS and a heart-rate-tracking “Vitality Sensor” accessory for the Wii this fiscal year to revive earnings growth.

“Many investors are in a tug-of-war between the outlook for a weak first half and expectations for the new DS model in the second half,” Mitsushige Akino, who counts Nintendo shares amid the $450 million he oversees at Ichiyoshi Investment Management Co. in Tokyo, said before the earnings release. “Lower earnings and any hint of Nintendo losing its top spot in the games market could tempt many individual investors to sell.”

Nintendo: 3DS Launch Date & Price to be announced on September 29, 2010
July 29 (Bloomberg): Nintendo's new portable game machine that will be available during the quarter, "Nintendo 3DS" about the price and release date details on September 29 in Japan and expected to ship in fiscal year are planning to announce. Mr. Yasushi Hiroshi Minagawa 29 spokesman, said the phone told Bloomberg News.

Anybody still think that it's not coming this year?
Place Yer Bets people. place yer bets.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #946 on: July 29, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
Not this year outside of Japan. Japan MAY get it in November or December.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 29, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
I think the fact that it is being announced in September, we'll see a 2010 release in Japan. I still hold out hope for a 2010 release in North America, but unless we catch wind of a press conference announcing the release date in the US by September, I doubt it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 29, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »
I doubt it will come out this year.  They won't release a system early just because they had a few losses.  Systems need to be released when its time and rushing them is a terrible idea.Hi Xbox  It also doesn't give anybody nearly enough time to get ready for it.  You can't announce and release so close together usually.

The quarterly loss seems like just having the worst scenerio possible for Nintendo with the R&D and production startup for the 3DS and most likely the next Wii research as well as a terrible exchange rate.  I read that they lost something like 90 million dollars just because the US dollar is crap and the yen is strong.  Thats a ridiculous amount of money to lose because of exchange rates.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 29, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
“Lower earnings and any hint of Nintendo losing its top spot in the games market could tempt many individual investors to sell.”

Loosing their spot? Really? I would keep those shares if it were me.