Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553650 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Well with rumors flying around about the Ningoogle OS, I hope so.
It would only make sense. Nintendo got caught with their pants down using the WTF system they had for the Wii where something as simple as a patch for the SD card didn't allow older games access to it.

It probably a reason why they never bothered to upgrade the amount of internal mem, since the games and channels would only read a certain amount because of the ridiculously short-sightedness of Nintendos programming. A background OS could have solved almost all of the Wii's problems this gen (except for possibly resolution output), so I really hope that some sort of UOS is used in not only the 3DS but the Wii2H3D.

What is UOS and OS what significane does it have for the wii?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
UOS = Universal Operating System
or an operating system that is always running in the background much like Windows, Android or iPhone OS.

The current system Nintendo uses each game works with a specific firmware set and if you update the firmware, it won't apply to the game not made specifically for it. Using an UOS the game would work with it directly and you can update the UOS as you please and the game should continue to work with the UOS as it's currently set up.

for example.

Today you can't play Mario Kart Wii with Wii Speak since it wasn't designed to use it.
but with a UOS you could patch in Wii Speak support to the UOS and it would now work with the game because the game is designed to work with the UOS and not a specific firmware.

Did I explain this right? I couldn't put it the way I wanted to.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
UOS = Universal Operating System
or an operating system that is always running in the background much like Windows, Android or iPhone OS.

The current system Nintendo uses each game works with a specific firmware set and if you update the firmware, it won't apply to the game not made specifically for it. Using an UOS the game would work with it directly and you can update the UOS as you please and the game should continue to work with the UOS as it's currently set up.

for example.

Today you can't play Mario Kart Wii with Wii Speak since it wasn't designed to use it.
but with a UOS you could patch in Wii Speak support to the UOS and it would now work with the game because the game is designed to work with the UOS and not a specific firmware.

Did I explain this right? I couldn't put it the way I wanted to.

I understand now, thank you very much for the information. What kind of graphics do you thing the 3DS will have? Will it have gamecube level, which I doubt, or will it be something like the current PSP?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I feel the UOS is the next step for Nintendo.  And if they are smart they will put part of it online.  I like how the WiiWare keeps track of all the games you have bought...but I think this needs to be pushed further.  It should just be called.  NintendoWare.  And games that are compatible with each system is available to download for that system attached to the account.  When you purchase the game you purchase the right to download it to 1 home console and 1 portable device.  This means you can build a virtual library that can be with you and be forwards compatible with new consoles and handhelds.

Also, they can retrofit this service and allow those that bought digital games to transfer them into a system...even if they don't have a console currently.  That would be a big step to making digital distribution more viable for the consumer.

Now, of course you can have the standard background features like universal Wii Speak Support, Chat, Mii integration for avatars and what not set up in the UOS for the next Nintendo systems...and the UOS once built and updated will be the building block for all future systems to ensure perfect backwards compatibility...and like I said forward compatibility.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
I like Spak's concept. Sound's a bit like a Nintendo branded Steam system.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
BnM: I'm the only one on this board who owns Nintendo stock (probably). If anyone wants Nintendo to come out with some suped-up handheld that does everything, plays everything, and isn't the next PSP, it's me. Trust me on that. I'm extremely excited to see what's in store.

That said, i'd rather be reserved than disappointed.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Then the HYPE TRAIN isn't the ride you want.

You want Realistic Expectations Trolley 3 blocks down the street or the Expect Less Express on the other side of town. This is the boarding station for THE HYPE TRAIN!!!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
I want new WiFi PedoChat.

Actually use it as a useful alternative to in-game keyboard chat and awful Wii Spaek while I waggle with the other Reggie Karters.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
It's gotta use the camera so they can see what you're wagglin ;)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Oh my, better use Protection.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
CHOOOO CHOOOO!!!! ALL ABOARD!!!!!!

Sharp Develops 3D Camera Module for Mobile Devices
Capable of Capturing High-Definition 3D Video Images, an Industry First

Sharp Corporation has developed a 3D camera module for mobile devices capable of capturing high-definition (720p*2) 3D video images, an industry first. Sharp will start shipping samples in July. Mass production of these modules will begin within 2010.

3D images are composed of two views taken using two cameras that simultaneously capture separate images for the right and left eyes. Consequently, a 3D camera requires peripheral circuitry to apply image processing to the two images, for example, to adjust color or to correct positioning between the images from the two cameras. Manufacturers have thus been pursuing designs that reduce the size and weight of 3D cameras and seeking ways to shorten their development period.

The current 3D camera module developed by Sharp incorporates functions to process the image data output by the left and right cameras, including Color Synchronizing Processing to adjust color and brightness, Timing Synchronizing Processing to synchronize the timing of the video signals, and Optical Axis Control Processing to correct positioning. In addition, Fast Readout Technology rapidly transfers video data from the image sensor, enabling 3D images to be captured in high-resolution HD mode. Further, in developing this camera module, Sharp applied high-density mounting technology nurtured over long years of experience in camera module development to achieve a compact form. Embedding this camera module in mobile devices such as digital cameras, mobile phones, and smartphones will contribute to the development of a wide range of new, innovative communications tools.

In the future, Sharp will be opening up new 3D markets based on 3D display technologies, including small/medium-size and large-size 3D LCDs, as well as on 3D input device technologies such as 3D camera modules.

There is no mention of video game or handhelds specifically, but that means nothing at this point. We know they are coming this year and being mass produced this year and the only device that we know of so far that would be perfect for this (using one set on the inside and one set on the outside) is the 3DS. Mass production would need to be started soon for this thing to ship in atleast one market(Japan) before this year is over.

Fingers crossed.

more pics: text is in Japanese though
http://www.sharp.co.jp/corporate/report/3d-camera/index.html
http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100512_366411.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:21:20 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Is the DS/i(XL) about to get a nice price drop this Xmas?
or is the 3DS gonna be kinda expensive($200-$250)?

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/12/satoru-iwata-japan-and-united-kingdom-react-quickest-to-new-trends/
Quote from: Iwata
Thus I believe we will see a huge difference among countries on Nintendo DS sales after we actually make new proposals with Nintendo 3DS, due to price gaps between Nintendo 3DS and existing Nintendo DS family, and consumers’ acceptance of it.”

I hoping for the prior and not the latter.
If 3DS is everything I've been HYPING it to be(see early posts), then I have no problem with a $250 price point, but if certain Expect Less Expressers happen to be right, then $179.99 better be the high ceiling of consideration.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
CHOOOO CHOOOO!!!! ALL ABOARD!!!!!!

Sharp Develops 3D Camera Module for Mobile Devices
Capable of Capturing High-Definition 3D Video Images, an Industry First

Sharp Conjures Up World's First 3D Camera For Phones—and the Nintendo 3DS?
Designed for mobile devices such as phones, digital cameras or even netbooks, Sharp's 3D camera module will start mass production this year—meaning within the next couple of years we could be shooting image-popping HD 3D video.

While Sharp isn't known for phones in our parts, if you walk into any store in Japan you'll be bowled over by dozens of their candy-colored models. These 3D cameras could first be trialled in Japan, but if successful be licensed out to other manufacturers to tantalize us with eye-popping possibilities.

The obvious question, of course, is why you'd want a 3D camera on your phone in the first place? Fujifilm's FinePix Real 3D W1 digital camera hasn't exactly taken off (do you know anyone who's even considered buying one, let alone laid down 600 big ones for it?), so why should a 3D video camera on a phone?

Again, it seems like one of those situations where British explorer George Mallory's reply when asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest ("because it's there") seems suitable. Or, perhaps more people want to make their very own Avatars than I originally thought.

While Sharp's press release on the subject mentioned simply "digital cameras, mobile phones, and smartphones," we must remember that Nintendo's 3DS is rumored to be using Sharp's glasses-less parallax barrier technology in its displays. With the latest crop of DSis having dual cameras it's not entirely unfathomable that these 3D camera modules could be first seen in a certain portable gaming console—due for release sometime before April 2011.

However it's used, Sharp's 3D camera will be able to capture 720p video in 3D, an industry first for mobile devices. Does that sound like something you'd use often on your phone, or will it be relegated to the novelty folder of your apps?

Looks like Gizmondo is on the same page as me (see my earlier post) with the Nintendo -> Sharp connection/ 3D Screen -> 3D Cameras possibility.

lets hope Nintendo is really trying to WOW us this time around.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:27:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Nintendo GAMECUBE ports INCOMING

in 3D

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but it seems like the 3DS is the perfect match for this tech.

Virtual reality used to transfer men's minds into a woman's body
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/12/virtual-reality-men-woman-body

Imagine the Link/Zelda swapping mechanics
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
I wonder how many of those guys tried to play with the new, um, "toys" when they got in the simulator?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I would never buy a handheld for $250. Never ever ever. I didn't buy a PSP until it was $179 and even then, I got a free 4GB memory card. I think it's bogus that some DS games are $35-$40. Only once did I pay $40 for a DS game and that was for Chrono Trigger. I already own the SNES cart, but I wanted to support the non-existent Chrono 3 cause. /facepalm

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but it seems like the 3DS is the perfect match for this tech.

Virtual reality used to transfer men's minds into a woman's body
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/12/virtual-reality-men-woman-body

Imagine the Link/Zelda swapping mechanics

God damn I love this post!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Analyst: Nintendo Expects to Sell 5 Million 3DS Units by March 2011
Nintendo's financial predictions also suggest the 3DS will be released by November.
Nintendo hasn't announced any official launch details for the (tentatively named) Nintendo 3DS handheld, but it looks like their financial forecasts hold more clues than one would expect. In a new note on Industry Gamers, Electronic Entertainment Design and Research analyst Jesse Divnich parses Nintendo's sales expectations for the DS, and determines the company will likely launch the 3DS in two regions by November, and expects to sell 5 million units by March 2011.
These numbers are arrived at by looking at Nintendo's overall DS sales expectations through the rest of the fiscal year (ending March, 2011). "According to their expected Nintendo DS and 3DS sales (they combine both sales into one category) our estimates indicate that Nintendo is expecting the 3DS to sell 5 million units by March 2011," Divnich writes. "Given historical sales of the Nintendo DS, which coincidently sold 5 million units through March 2005, Nintendo is likely to announce that the 3DS will be available in at least two regions beginning in November 2010. Additionally, they are likely to reveal the project's actual name [at E3]."

A previous rumor had the 3DS's release pegged for October, but either way, this would still have the new handheld on store shelves by the holiday season. Nintendo has only officially stated the handheld would be out in Japan before March 2011.

Elsewhere in his note, Divnich says he expects E3 2010 will be an "inflection point for the industry," with much depending on how well Microsoft's Project Natal, Sony's Move motion controller, and the 3DS are received by the press and public. "Either E3 2010 acts as a positive catalyst and boosts industry confidence, or it reinforces the negative notions about the long-term viability of traditional gaming," Divnich writes. "The results will fall on either extreme, and my vote is that E3 2010 will be the best industry event in the history of modern gaming."

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
The expect less express?! That's rich! HAHAHAHA!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
The idea of this system intrigues me, and the fact that Old Bones Nintendo is the first to have a fully-purposed 3D system in the market frankly blows my mind... Having said that.... I'm struggling to see how this will be used to actually improve gameplay. Will it look good? Almost definitely. Will it be full of social media? Almost definitely. Are the games going to get better? That's yet to be seen.
Perhaps I'm just impatient, E3 isn't that far away, but I'm curious as to what other people are thinking as far as games and gaming on the system.

Edit: Just saw this:http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/17/is-this-a-prototype-of-the-nintendo-3ds/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:27:54 AM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
The idea of this system intrigues me, and the fact that Old Bones Nintendo is the first to have a fully-purposed 3D system in the market frankly blows my mind... Having said that.... I'm struggling to see how this will be used to actually improve gameplay. Will it look good? Almost definitely. Will it be full of social media? Almost definitely. Are the games going to get better? That's yet to be seen.
Perhaps I'm just impatient, E3 isn't that far away, but I'm curious as to what other people are thinking as far as games and gaming on the system.

Edit: Just saw this:http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/17/is-this-a-prototype-of-the-nintendo-3ds/

It looks like Nintendo may have managed to run an early prototype of its   upcoming 3D handheld, the 3DS,   through the FCC without anyone noticing -- well, for a few weeks,   anyway. The filing was made available on April 30 and Wireless   Goodness spotted it, posting the image above showing what looks   more like an ATX motherboard than a handheld gaming platform. But, what   wasn't noticed at the time was the aspect ratio of the top screen (in   the middle of the circuitry): it's 16:9, while every other Nintendo   handheld to date has of course been 4:3. That aspect ratio matches the   3.4-inch parallax   barrier display from Sharp, the one that just about everyone is   expecting will be featured in the device. Connecting the dots, this   could be a prototype 3DS in the flesh, dubbed the "CTR." Given that   Nintendo called the DSi   the "TWL" the XL the   "UTL," even the naming scheme fits in. Sadly the FCC images have since   been pulled, but we look forward to seeing a rather more petite version   of the thing at E3 next month.

I'm even more stoked now.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-3ds-dev-motherboard-sighted

Supposedly the 3DS will have stereoscopic speakers and the screens will display in 4:3 ratio. What does this mean?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:56:08 PM by Kytim89 »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
It means it's a Game Boy Advance.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Quote from: Kytim89 link=topic=30917.msg609159#msg609159   date=1274114970
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-3ds-dev-motherboard-sighted

Supposedly   the 3DS will have stereoscopic speakers and the screens will display in   4:3 ratio. What does this mean?

It means you need to   re-read what they said.
the current DS has 4:3 ratio (pic shows one   screen is 16x9) and stereo speakers are expected since every DS has had   them.

Quote from: eurogamer
However, the twin screen arrangement   on this system is unlike anything seen in any current DS system. All   DS systems released to date feature dual 4:3 screens, but what   we are clearly seeing here is a widescreen display paired with the more   traditional display.
[...]
It's a shame that the only photograph   we have is low-resolution, making in-depth examination of the setup of   the board all but impossible. However, we do see the inclusion   of stereo speakers, a slot for DS cartridges plus the usual SD   card port too - standard for the normal DS of course, but   expected for the new hardware any way.

reading comprehension FTW ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:17:26 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »