Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551900 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Wow. You can officially consider me on board the hype train.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
CHOO-CHOO!!!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
ALL ABOARD!!!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Hmmm....

I wonder how far away from the screen you can be and still see the effect.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The Yahoo article here says 1 foot (30 centimeters), but they also said it only works on a 3" screen (7.5-centimeter) when it was clear that Sharp said it was a 3.4" screen*, so I would guess, at a comfortable arms length since Yahoo is obviously not getting the released facts straight(they also said this tech will be in the next DSi).

*http://www.diginfo.tv/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:26:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Nintendo better not use this outdated technology in my 3DS. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

Actually, on either Sony or Panasonic’s 3D TV, the image would emerge from the screen… But on Sharp’s mobile 2D / 3D LCD, the image provides a great sensation of depth without making you feel as if the image is coming out from the screen.

This is what I mentioned before.  I thought it would be too good to be true for images popping out of the screen.  This is what I thought would be the case.  Depth only.

BAH. Stupid HTML!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:52:36 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Yeah but DEPTH is the best part of 3D. Popping images is the gimmick, and honestly disrupting if used repeatedly.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I don't think it's depth only, I think that because the screen is so small and close to your face, there isn't a lot of room for the image to seeming jump off the screen in comparison to watching it on a 40" HDTV or a 100' Movie Screen.

If they can successfully show a sense of depth, then it the same tech that show the pop off the screen. I think the "pop" is just much less pronounced than the sense of depth due to size and proximity.

Or maybe it has to do with where the parralax barrier is on comparison to the screen.
Having the barrier on your face (glasses) vs on the screen (3DS) could be the difference maker. I am no expert on the tech and haven't even watched that many 3D movies (since the "3D" is usually just a gimmicky distraction to a sub-par movie), but what if the sense of depth is created at the level of the barrier and that's why it "pop's" at the theater(barrier on your face = depth between you and the screen) and looks deep on these screens(since the barrier is on the screen, depth is pretty much all you can see).

My real hope is that Nintendo uses some sort of face/eye tracking to widen the range of the 3D effect so that you don't have to be in a very specific place infront of the 3DS to see it. Combining Real 3D with the windowed depth of the DSi game would be really crazy and something that I doubt the competition would easily match.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
... under $200.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
My real hope is that Nintendo uses some sort of face/eye tracking to widen the range of the 3D effect so that you don't have to be in a very specific place in front of the 3DS to see it. Combining Real 3D with the windowed depth of the DSi game would be really crazy and something that I doubt the competition would easily match.

There is tech available to allow people to see the effect from different positions at the same time and it seemed to easily be applied to a normal 3D screen. I think I mentioned it before but I saw a youtube video from a tech trade convention where a guy demonstrated it and said that they could get it to work from 8 different angles at once and they could be ready to produce the screens next year with up to 64 different ideal viewing angles.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
I don't think it's depth only, I think that because the screen is so small and close to your face, there isn't a lot of room for the image to seeming jump off the screen in comparison to watching it on a 40" HDTV or a 100' Movie Screen.

If they can successfully show a sense of depth, then it the same tech that show the pop off the screen. I think the "pop" is just much less pronounced than the sense of depth due to size and proximity.

Or maybe it has to do with where the parralax barrier is on comparison to the screen.
Having the barrier on your face (glasses) vs on the screen (3DS) could be the difference maker. I am no expert on the tech and haven't even watched that many 3D movies (since the "3D" is usually just a gimmicky distraction to a sub-par movie), but what if the sense of depth is created at the level of the barrier and that's why it "pop's" at the theater(barrier on your face = depth between you and the screen) and looks deep on these screens(since the barrier is on the screen, depth is pretty much all you can see).

My real hope is that Nintendo uses some sort of face/eye tracking to widen the range of the 3D effect so that you don't have to be in a very specific place infront of the 3DS to see it. Combining Real 3D with the windowed depth of the DSi game would be really crazy and something that I doubt the competition would easily match.

Thats the whole reason I doubted the popping out business.  I don't see how an image could pop out further then the layers on the screen.  If the layers are the same distance as your face (ie. glasses) then I imagine it has all the room in between to play.  But if they are lying on top of the screen itself, then back is the only way to go.  Unless they do release glasses to work in conjunction with it for those who want the popping out experience;(horror games yes?)  But either way it is certainly not a deal breaker. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
My real hope is that Nintendo uses some sort of face/eye tracking to widen the range of the 3D effect so that you don't have to be in a very specific place in front of the 3DS to see it. Combining Real 3D with the windowed depth of the DSi game would be really crazy and something that I doubt the competition would easily match.

There is tech available to allow people to see the effect from different positions at the same time and it seemed to easily be applied to a normal 3D screen. I think I mentioned it before but I saw a youtube video from a tech trade convention where a guy demonstrated it and said that they could get it to work from 8 different angles at once and they could be ready to produce the screens next year with up to 64 different ideal viewing angles.

I linked you to that video, I know all about the tech. I was just hoping that it(the head tracking tech to make the 3D effect move with you similar to that DSi game) can be implemented in the 3DS somehow that (yes, Pro) keeps the system under $200 price point.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

Thats the whole reason I doubted the popping out business.  I don't see how an image could pop out further then the layers on the screen.  If the layers are the same distance as your face (ie. glasses) then I imagine it has all the room in between to play.  But if they are lying on top of the screen itself, then back is the only way to go.  Unless they do release glasses to work in conjunction with it for those who want the popping out experience;(horror games yes?)  But either way it is certainly not a deal breaker.

But is that how the tech works? slightly different image to each eye with depth effects between the 3d barrier and the screen?

The way it's been explained to me is that the image sent to different eyes and the effect of depth/pop is your brain putting the images together. If that is truly how it works, then would it matter where the barrier is at or would it just be how they programmed the image to be viewed?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
When the 3DS releases, what kind of launch titles shoud it have? Here are some of my ideas:

Star Fox 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS
New Super Mario Brothers 2 3DS
Super Smash Brothers Rumble 3DS
Punch-Out 3DS
Final Fantasy 5 3DS
Final Fantasy 6 3DS
Legend of Zelda 3DS with the style of Twilight Princess
No More Heroes 3DS
Dead Space 3DS
Madworld 3DS
Dante's Inferno 3DS

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile

But is that how the tech works? slightly different image to each eye with depth effects between the 3d barrier and the screen?

The way it's been explained to me is that the image sent to different eyes and the effect of depth/pop is your brain putting the images together. If that is truly how it works, then would it matter where the barrier is at or would it just be how they programmed the image to be viewed?

You may very well be right.  I am by no means an expert on this stuff.  I actually hope you are.  My favourite aspect of the whole 3D tech is stuff popping out of the screen (as long as it is done properly).   But like I said, it certainly isn't a deal breaker.  I will still be in there tomorrow if it was announced.

Stogi sounds like he knows what he is talking about though.

That is quite a list Kytim.  Don't you want to leave anything for the next year?  I would personally like a new Donkey Kong game.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Glasses don't have a more inherent ability to have "popping" images. The trickery for 3D comes from your eyes and not the utensils. If your eyes have enough information, they'll make the images pop.

I will say it is EASIER though because you don't have to be so close unlike this other technology and thus, just being farther away will make the image seem like its out farther.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
When the 3DS releases, what kind of launch titles shoud it have? Here are some of my ideas:

Star Fox 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS
Punch-Out 3DS
Final Fantasy 5 3DS
Final Fantasy 6 3DS
No More Heroes 3DS
Dead Space 3DS
Madworld 3DS
Dante's Inferno 3DS

Looking at this list I think it would be wise for Nintendo to give the 3DS some popular but low key 3DS games.  3 first party launches would be great.  I would say:  Star Fox 3DS, Punch Out 3DS, and either Pikmin 3DS, Smash Bros. 3DS, or New Super Mario 3 3DS. 

(Also, I think I would through one non-gamer game into that mix.  How about 3D Brain training.  It could help transition people into the idea of 3D and come up with some great ideas for games.  3D Sadoku would be awesome...if possible.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
This isn't new, but it's a very good and well thought out analysis of the 3DS right after the announcement. Make sure you check out the last two videos and their write-ups specifically.
http://mobilelocalsocial.com/2010/03/an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-nintendo-3ds/

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile

Star Fox 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS
Punch-Out 3DS
Final Fantasy 5 3DS
Final Fantasy 6 3DS
No More Heroes 3DS
Dead Space 3DS
Madworld 3DS
Dante's Inferno 3DS

Looking at this list I think it would be wise for Nintendo to give the 3DS some popular but low key 3DS games.  3 first party launches would be great.  I would say:  Star Fox 3DS, Punch Out 3DS, and either Pikmin 3DS, Smash Bros. 3DS, or New Super Mario 3 3DS. 

(Also, I think I would through one non-gamer game into that mix.  How about 3D Brain training.  It could help transition people into the idea of 3D and come up with some great ideas for games.  3D Sadoku would be awesome...if possible.

Those are some of the games I would like to see on the 3DS. Especially No More Heroes.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!

Portable GameCube Rumors From 2006
Quote from: Joystiq
For several minutes, in fact. Earlier today, IGN's Matt Casamassina   posted an article that served to round up several wily Wii rumors,   including the usual price ($229) and launch date (2 Nov. or 12 Nov.)   suspects. More interesting, however, was the indication given by   mysterious sources that IBM was in the process of shrinking and slowing   down the Wii's Broadway chip for a "future Nintendo handheld --   presumably one that plays Gamecube discs."

Before the rumor managed to fully set in and plunge the masses   into unyielding seizures of delight, the article was promptly pulled   from the site and replaced by a decidedly unhelpful update. "At the   request of our sources, who do not wish to go to jail this week, we have   temporarily removed the Wii rumors piece that was posted earlier."   Apparently, the oppressive and joyless Nintendo police were none too   pleased with people blabbering about portable Gamecubes to IGN. When the   article reappeared, all mention of it had been removed, spirited away   to some great rumor recycle bin (send our love to the holographic   projector).

People have been saying that Tegra is not in the 3DS but we're all 100% positive that some sort of ARM chip will be in place for DS/i backwards compatibility but I guess we can't rule out that maybe Broadway has found it's way into the 3DS too.

Could Broadway have been merged into a custom ARM chip? what about Hollywood?
Broadway is the Wii CPU(made from GC's Gekko) and Hollywood is the Wii GPU (made from GC's Flipper)

Maybe it's not exactly GC level graphics we should be expecting but roughly around Wii levels, and before the haters jump in to say "But they're the same thing" hardee har har...... I beat you to it, so go away.

You have to remember that the GC chipset was designed with low power consumption and high output in mind. You also have to remember that Iwata revently confessed to burying the ability to process 3D output for left eye/right eye in the GC hardware. The Wii chipset (Broadway/Hollywood) is a beefed up GameCube chipset (Gekko/Flipper), which means it has inherited all prior capabilities including the 3D left/right processing.

Wii has sold around 70 million units WW which means that these chips have got to be dirt cheap by now considering how cheap they were before this generation. Shrinking them down even further (for the last 4 years) would only make them cheaper and more energy efficient. A Wii only uses on average 17 watts and I would imagine that combining the 2 chips into one and die shrinking them both could severely cut that down.

I couldn't find any data on how much power a PSP or a DS uses, but I bet a die shrunk Wii would be somewhere in that ballpark.

Plausible or just crazy talk?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Could Broadway have been merged into a custom ARM chip? what about Hollywood?
There's an ARM chip embedded in Broadway already.  Look up "starlet".
Plausible or just crazy talk?
Given the amount of money Nintendo spent on the last die shrink, it would be much more cost-effective to go with something that already works well and is naturally backwards-compatible with DS.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Could they embed an upgraded ARM 11 into the Broadway chip or something similar to boost the power while keeping wattage low and BC 100%?

I can already see all the New Play Control games headed to the 3DS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Updating expectations:

2x 3.4" 3D screens
bottom screen is a touchscreen
Either 4 cameras, 2 facing out and 2 facing in, both sets for taking 3D pictures and video.
or 2 swivel cameras on the hinge for 3D pictures outwards and inwards
(1 of the cameras are dual purposed with infra red for eye-tracking)
1 d-pad, 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons
new stylus, capable of being tracked. either through infra red camera or magneto meter of some sort.
tilt sensors
Shrunken GC(/Wii) hardware paired with an ARM11 (Tegra like performance @ similar wattage)
< 100MB ram
BC DS media card slot for future adoption of holographic cards if necessary
SDHC/microSD card slot
2GB of internal flash
10-14 hours of battery
Wifi 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth
$200 price point (within $15 of)

edit: Artist Render or Prototype?
I've seen this "prototype" before but this is the first time I've seen it like this
http://hamstern.air-nifty.com/mogumogu/2010/04/post-3c64.html

I'm calling fake, but it's still pretty impressive even though I don't like the "DS" mode at all.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:37:54 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
A couple sites are saying that Sharp announced today that they said their tech will be used on the 3DS, but I keep looking at the press release and see no mention of Nintendo.  Am I missing it?
Who wants heroine brownies?