Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553638 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
I would wager that the wii 2 will not emerge untill after the 3DS has been released and allowed to settle into the market so that Nintendo can figure what they want to do with the wii2. Basically what I am saying is that if the 3DS is successful, the wii 2 will be a HD 3D home console. Remember when Reggie said that HD is not the way to sell there console alone without some kind of uniqueness to it. 3D could be what Reggie was talking about.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
lol stevey, and thats why i didnt buy a DSi.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
SPECULATION TIME!!!

Nintendo to flex it's 3DS muscle?
Artificial Muscle ramps up production -- expect touchscreens that push back in 2011
Last  we heard from Artificial Muscle, the company was trying to convince  hospitals, cell phone manufacturers and more that its technology -- a  silicon film that expands and contracts with an applied voltage -- would  provide a real sense of touch to their cold, hard touchscreens. On at  least three counts, it has succeeded. The San Jose Mercury News  reports that two cell phone manufacturers are planning Artificial  Muscle-based products in 2011, and that an "electronics entertainment  product" will be released this Christmas. The company also plans to  produce 1 million of the electronic actuators per month to anticipate  further demand. While the Mercury News notes that Artificial  Muscle's product isn't the holy grail of haptic feedback  -- the entire screen stiffens when pressed, not just the spot you touch  -- its adoption means the company may have set events in motion to  ultimately reach that goal.

I smell an E3 reveal. Could this be the next secret of the 3DS that Nintendo is trying to keep under wraps for the next 2 months? Could we be getting real touch and 3D? I can only think of a few "electronics entertainment product" that would need 1 million of these things a month, considering that the other products that plan to use it (2 cell phones) won't be releasing till sometime next year.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
Hmm, while I am somewhat familiar with piezoelectic materials and lcd screens, I figured that the applied voltage through the piezoelectric layer would interfere with the lcd.  If anyone knows better, can they try to elaborate on how it works?

This is an interesting feature to have.  It's like rumble, but localized.  Personally I think that rumble is overrated in what it contributes to gaming, but I can see how this is more useful.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I had heard speculation that Nintendo did this reveal the way it did because a screen manufacturer was gonna have to report the large 3D screen order to it's investors and that Nintendo wanted the reveal to come directly from them.

It seems that was pretty much on the mark.

It looks like Nintendo did it because press leaks got out and the press was asking questions at the manufacturers and Nintendo wanted to beat the leak.

Report: Ill-Timed 3DS Announce Due To Japan Press Leaks
New media reports suggest press leaks in Japan, where the DSI XL has already been out for some time, forced Nintendo's hand even at the expense of Nintendo of America.

"Apparently, the Japanese press was all over it and talked with suppliers there and Nintendo just wanted to get out ahead by breaking the news to prevent a leak," M2 Research senior analyst Billy Pigeon told CNBC. "Does it clash with the DSi XL? Yes, it does."

So sorry NoA, NoE & NAL, but NOJ had no choice but to potentially cut the XL at the knees. The general public probably still won't know about it, but out of the forum frequenting crowd, only the most hardcore collectors and those buying them for their parents will probably still purchase an XL before seeing what the 3DS is all about.

But if it makes anyone feel better, I'm sure Yamauchi has dispatched the Corporate Ninjas to seal this leak and make sure there are no more to follow.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
So April 1 is when we find out it's not really 3D, right?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
SPECULATION TIME!!!

Nintendo to flex it's 3DS muscle?
Artificial Muscle ramps up production -- expect touchscreens that push back in 2011
Last  we heard from Artificial Muscle, the company was trying to convince  hospitals, cell phone manufacturers and more that its technology -- a  silicon film that expands and contracts with an applied voltage -- would  provide a real sense of touch to their cold, hard touchscreens. On at  least three counts, it has succeeded. The San Jose Mercury News  reports that two cell phone manufacturers are planning Artificial  Muscle-based products in 2011, and that an "electronics entertainment  product" will be released this Christmas. The company also plans to  produce 1 million of the electronic actuators per month to anticipate  further demand. While the Mercury News notes that Artificial  Muscle's product isn't the holy grail of haptic feedback  -- the entire screen stiffens when pressed, not just the spot you touch  -- its adoption means the company may have set events in motion to  ultimately reach that goal.

I smell an E3 reveal. Could this be the next secret of the 3DS that Nintendo is trying to keep under wraps for the next 2 months? Could we be getting real touch and 3D? I can only think of a few "electronics entertainment product" that would need 1 million of these things a month, considering that the other products that plan to use it (2 cell phones) won't be releasing till sometime next year.

video of the tech if anyone is interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_MHEKnrk9A

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
I can't see youtube vids.
I don't understand how it gives you a sense of touch.  The screen turns a little harder?

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
If I understand correctly, its like it moves up and down (normal to its plane), through its increasing/decreasing tension.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
If I understand correctly, its like it moves up and down (normal to its plane), through its increasing/decreasing tension.

So it's like those massaging chairs where the lumps move around and harden to work the tension out of your back? That could be interesting.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I can't see youtube vids.
I don't understand how it gives you a sense of touch.  The screen turns a little harder?

You know how when using the wiimote and the wiimote vibrates when you pass over a button so that you can "feel" the button? This screen will flex the screen where you are touching to simulate clicking a button. When using a slider, you will feel when you are going past certain points on the slide bar. The screen can let you feel when you've bumped into a button or slider and provides pretty good sense of haptic feedback. There are many uses for being able to feel what you are touching on the screen, but they only gave a few in the video. I'm sure Nintendo can come up with some pretty interesting ones if they have chosen to use this tech.

Offline Tobli

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Damn you Nintendo, there's no awesome game showing off the DSi yet and you already move onto the 3DS! And just for cheap gimmick 3D graphics too, ugh.

What with all these graphic gimmick driving gaming? First HD and now 3d... I don't see how pseudo 3d is going to make game funner. (same with HD)
1. The DSi is just an iteration of the DS. So it was never meant to get any real exclusive top notch game development focus.

2. They haven't even properly revealed the system yet. You can't just presume that there are no aspects of the 3DS that will have an effect on gameplay .

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
First of all, DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Second of all, you don't even now if this tech can be combined with an LCD, let alone a screen that displays 3D.

And third of all, I've seen rampant speculation in my day, but you are setting yourself up for worst let down in history.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
You know what would be cool with  New Super Mario Bros. game and the 3D tech?

If you could tilt the 3DS and find secert areas that way.  Like a new tunnel hidden by a grounded pow box.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
First of all, DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Second of all, you don't even now if this tech can be combined with an LCD, let alone a screen that displays 3D.

And third of all, I've seen rampant speculation in my day, but you are setting yourself up for worst let down in history.

It can be combined with an LCD, it shows it in the video.

And this is all part of the HYPE Speculation New Hardware Process. We all know where the HYPE TRAIN ends(we don't need you to keep pointing it out), but it's fun to speculate so quit fighting it and just go with the flow.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
Please, don't let me stop you from speculating. That's not my intent with these posts and I admit, its fun to dream. But as a long time Nintendo fan, I'm done with it. Nintendo already revealed that it will be 3D, be as powerful as the GC, have haptic feedback, better WiFi and have a 3D stick. Sans a camera, mic, and cartridge slot, what more could you ask for?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
holographic storage, dual cameras for 3D video/picto chat, 4" screens with hi-rez 800x400 or whatever resolution at that size equals 16:9.....

theres plenty more to ask for. there are plenty of things with reason to speculate and hope for and then there are the guesses that are way out there. I don't think I've crosses the line of "that's impossible" and "will never happen", but someone has to fuel the HYPE TRAIN and who better than me?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
holographic storage, dual cameras for 3D video/picto chat, 4" screens with hi-rez 800x400 or whatever resolution at that size equals 16:9.....

theres plenty more to ask for. there are plenty of things with reason to speculate and hope for and then there are the guesses that are way out there. I don't think I've crosses the line of "that's impossible" and "will never happen", but someone has to fuel the HYPE TRAIN and who better than me?

How about a movie player for the 3DS? I would love to watch movies on those screens with that resoultion. Throw in a virtual handheld service and a more robust DSware service and I am sold. Oh, do not forget a radio player, it will need one of those for sure.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

How about a movie player for the 3DS? I would love to watch movies on those screens with that resoultion. Throw in a virtual handheld service and a more robust DSware service and I am sold. Oh, do not forget a radio player, it will need one of those for sure.

NETFLIX 3D COMING TO 3DS THIS YEAR!!!
We don’t even know what it looks like yet but the 3DS will be getting in on the 3D movie scene.

Netflix has only just bought their ever popular service to the Wii but it’s already announced that it will be expanding in 3D movies and they’ll be debuting on the Nintendo 3DS on launch. The Nintendo 3DS was only just announced and no details are known about it apart from the 3D nature of it but it seems we’ll be enjoying 3D movies on it at launch. Netflix’s 2D content will also be available.

Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings say “We’re proud to announce that we’re again working with Nintendo and bringing the world of 3D to Nintendo users via the 3DS and our new Netflix3D service”.

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
wow. that's cool.  I submit to your will BnM, you called it.

Hopefully this isn't an April Fools joke...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:40:36 PM by Spinnzilla »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I will get a Net Flix account if it works all over the world on the 3DS just for the nice 3D movies on the device...that is a huge win for Nintendo specially vs the ipod, iphone.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
It's an April fools joke.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
It would be obvious if 1 of 3 things were done.

1. Use FireFox, the abbreviations are made very obvious (at least in NWRcore)
2. Follow the link of the quoted post.... it takes you back to the funhouse.
3. Follow the link in the quoted post as the link states that it is not real.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Ok. April Fools is Over so now I can post this news. It's what we've been waiting to hear.

Sharp Develops 3D Touchscreen LCD
Switchable Between 2D and 3D Modes—with Industry’s Highest Brightness
Sharp Corporation has developed a 3D touchscreen LCD featuring the industry’s highest brightness that can switch between 2D and 3D modes. Users can view 3D images without the need to wear special glasses, making this LCD ideal for mobile devices such as digital cameras, mobile phones, and smartphones.

The newly developed 3D LCD uses a parallax barrier system to display 3D images. This parallax barrier, which has a series of vertical slits, is incorporated into an ordinary LCD to control the path of light reaching the right and left eyes, thus creating a sense of depth. However, the conventional 3D LCD with this system had difficulty in displaying high-quality images in 3D mode.

The 3D LCD developed by Sharp at this time significantly improves image quality by achieving both high brightness and low crosstalk*2 thanks to advances in CG-Silicon technology*3 and optimization of the parallax barrier. Advances in CG-Silicon technology have shrunk the wiring width within the LCD panel, allowing more light to pass and doubling the brightness (to 500 cd/m2, the industry’s highest) compared to the conventional model*4. In addition, optimizing the parallax barrier design has increased the efficiency of light, thereby dramatically reducing crosstalk. Also, the thickness of the LCD module is about the same as conventional 2D displays even though it is a touchscreen display. As 3D images can be displayed in both portrait and landscape screen orientations, it is ideal for sophisticated mobile devices such as smartphones.

Sharp has also developed a non-touchscreen 3D LCD and will start its mass production in the first half of fiscal 2010.

So can we count on 1 or two 3D screens and 1 or 2 touch screens? Hopefully this is it, the screen they'll be using. Guess we'll have to wait till E3 to know for sure.

edit: And I forgot one more important thing since it didn't format well

3.4" FWVGA screens @ 480 x 854 pixels

I'm pretty sure that is 16:9

*I just want to summarize whats in the article for those that don't want to read it.*

• New Sharp 3D screens (Paralax Barrier)
  • Switchable between 2D & 3D (with Industry's Highest Brightness)
  • 3D Touch Screen and Non 3D Touch Screen (So will we have 2 3D Touch Screens?)
  • 3D Displayed in Portrait and Landscape (regular play and book mode)
  • 3.4" FWVGA Screens (slightly bigger than a DSi @ 3.25" screens)
  • @ 480 x 854 (resolution of the Motorola Droid I believe)
  • In production 1st half of 2010 (3DS will be at E3 afterall)
These have to be the screens since they just fit everything that Nintendo would need with the 3DS.
So now I think we can speculate on what else will Nintendo bring to the table.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:07:13 AM by insano­lord »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Akihabara News: [Hands-On] Sharp’s new mobile 2D/3D LCD is mind-blowing!
Finally I had the chance to enjoy Sharp’s new 2D/3D LCD that does not require 3D glasses. What I have seen so far has been quite disappointing, Sorry Fujifilm, but Sharp’s new technology is REALLY impressive and I cannot wait to have such a screen in my 3DS ! Not only the colors and brightness are good as advertised, but also the 3D Ghost-less Effect on this LCD is really impressive.

Unfortunately our picture can’t do any justice to the work done by Sharp here but you will have to trust us on this one… Simply put, Sharp have succeeded to do what Sony and Panasonic did without the need for 3D Glasses!

Akihabara News: [Hands-on] Final thoughts on Sharp’s 3D LCD screen (Summary)
In the previous news Daimaou was explaining how this new LCD from Sharp was Mind Blowing. And yes, Sharp did something really impressive that will probably compete with the 3D Shutter glasses technology of Panasonic and Sony.

According to the Japanese manufacturer, the intention is to spread this new technology to different mobile devices, like ‘Point & amp; Shoot’ cameras, Mobile Phones, PMPs… And the good news here is the possibility of not only seeing but also taking pictures in 3D mode! Sharp also plan to add a 3D video Mode…

‘This 3D technology is Mind Blowing’
In this area, the Mobile LCD world, Sharp will provide you with something their competitors have not been capable of, with better brightness (usually the competitors offer a maximum brightness of 250cd/m2, while Sharp propose 500cd/m2), a contrast ratio of 1000 :1 compared to the 100 :1 that their competitors have achieved.

Other point concerns the overall quality which is really good. According to Daimaou, the quality is on a par with what is offered by either Panasonic or Sony.

Lastly, not only Sharp succeed to impress us with their 3D LCD Quality, but they also succeed to create a Mobile LCD which is a Touchscreen !

‘Some area need improvement’
However, the main difference concerns the image depth. Actually, on either Sony or Panasonic’s 3D TV, the image would emerge from the screen… But on Sharp’s mobile 2D / 3D LCD, the image provides a great sensation of depth without making you feel as if the image is coming out from the screen.

Lastly, regarding the Ghost effect, actually Sharp worked hard on this matter, however we have to admit this is not perfect… You will have to be on the sweet spot to get the perfect image. However, Notice that even if you’re not on the ‘sweet point’, frankly we are not sure if their competitors with their current LCD screens are capable of reaching this quality.

Anyway, this mobile 3D LCD is simply mind blowing!

HYPE!!!!!!