Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553714 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
the DSi already does depth using face tracking. "Hidden 3D picture"
This is autosteroscopic 3D coming out of the screen probably combined with the face tracking to create pop-out and depth at the same time.

I expect to be blown away and cross-eyed at the same time.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
I can't really see things coming out of the 3DS as that'll get in the way of the stylus and your input.  Creating depth is the better approach IMO, especially if its anything like what's on display in Avatar (the movie, not the game).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The DSi already does depth with head tracking (I'm sounding like a broken record now). I would expect the 3D effect to make it look like it's popping off of the screen, almost as if it might hit you in the face if you weren't careful. There is no reason for Nintendo to release new hardware and HYPE 3D if it's the exact same thing that they are already achieving on the DSi with "Hidden 3D Image".
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:47:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
BlackNMild, does the DSi do depth via head tracking?
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Yes. The DSi does depth through Head tracking ("Hidden 3D Image") ;)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet though ;D

Nintendo 3DS is the best handheld ever'
Dementium developer on Nintendo's new handheld
The developer of DS horror series Dementium 2 believes the new Nintendo 3DS will be the best handheld games console ever.

"Based on what I've heard about the 3DS specs, I think it will be the best handheld system to date," said Renegade Kid's Jools Watsham. "To be honest, I think the 3D aspect of the console is just the icing on what is already an extremely powerful system."

"I expect the 3DS to have the graphical power of a GameCube, plus all of the other delights such as two screens, rumble, motion control, Wi-Fi, and an analogue stick. The 3D feature is wonderful, for sure, but it will only be appropriate for certain things. [Nintendo] produces the best handheld systems, [the system will] deliver a platform worthy of a successor to the Nintendo DSi. [I am] very interested in developing for the 3DS."

It's good to see that some devs are ecstatic about the 3DS!!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Interesting to see what devs like Capcom, Konami and Square Enix have to say about it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
The DSi already does depth with head tracking (I'm sounding like a broken record now). I would expect the 3D effect to make it look like it's popping off of the screen, almost as if it might hit you in the face if you weren't careful. There is no reason for Nintendo to release new hardware and HYPE 3D if it's the exact same thing that they are already achieving on the DSi with "Hidden 3D Image".

Dude, headtracking is NOT 3D. It's the ILLUSION of 3D. But everything your seeing is still flat images. Real 3D provides a discernible amount of depth and most importantly, the perspective can be changed.

Popping out 3D is quite frankly the worst kind of 3D.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
just go watch the Hidden Images video. It gives you a sense of depth in side your DS. When they say it does real 3D, I imagine they are talking about the 3D that makes it pop out at you like its not on the screen anymore, the same type of 3D experience that they are trying to sell in on the new TV's and at the movies. The type of experience that makes a scene feel deep by making imagery pop off the screen. This creates an illusion of 3D depth.

Head tracking on the DSi accomplished depth with out 3D screens. Using a 3D screens and using head tracking to accomplish that same sense of depth will give you an amazing effect.
Why is this so hard to understand.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:55:49 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
I understand it perfectly. I've been working for over a year on making 3D video! I don't think you understand it. You seem to have a notion that all 3D does is make the image pop out. That's completely false.

And I'll say it again. Head-tracking is not 3D; it's the illusion of 3D. Every new perspective you create by moving your head, shows another flat 2D image. The sense of depth comes from you moving your head, not the actual screen. This is very different from real 3D imagery. Since with real 3D imagery, you do not have to have "the window effect".

Popping out 3D is not why 3D imagery is useful in terms of portraying depth. When something pops out of the screen, you can tell its closer than everything else on the screen, but you can't tell by how much. Yes there is depth, but there is no real measurement of depth.

The work I do is useful because of the discernible depth you see from the imagery that does not pop out. It is as if you are looking at it yourself; it as if you are there. Just like how you can relate object size and distance in real life, you can relate objects within the scene and give them a certain size and distance relative to everything else. That is why it is so useful for dissection videos; e.g. a heart valve is below another and further away, yet is larger.

I'm honestly about to send you a clip of one of my videos, but you'll have to go crosseyed to see it.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
I just hope Sonic Chronicles 2, Mass Effect, No More Heroes, Madworld and Dead Space find their way onto the system. The kind of graphical out put the device will probably have just makes me happy at the thought of these games ever appearing on the device.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
All I have been saying is that DSi has achieved depth through head tracking. 3D depth? not without a 3d Screen, which we are getting and that's why I've been saying that it(windowed depth) combined with and advanced 3D screen could provided some amazing visuals.

As far as this "3D video" you've been working on, I would love to see it, and I would assume it wasn't shot with 3D cameras nor does it require me to wear any special glasses, so I would really like to see this idea of 3D that I'm just not getting. *unfortunately, I can't see the stereogram images that require you to go crosseyed*

The kind of 3D Nintendo is supposedly bringing to the DS is the kind that makes the image jump off the screen, just like in the movie theaters and just like they are pushing at Best Buy, Sears and every other big audio/visual retailer out there. So I don't see what it is that I am not understanding that you seem to.

I'm gonna send you my e-mail address, you can send me this video, then we can be on the same page at the same time. To me it sounds like you are talking about stereogram images (magic eye type stuff) and I'm talking about stereographic images(Movie theater 3D). two different ways of making 3D imagery, and only one of which has anything to do with the 3DS as far as I know.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:10:42 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
No no, you only have to go cross-eyed for one of my videos because you don't have the proper equipment. Back in the day to achieve 3D, I used two HD cameras on a single tripod that were skewed towards each other (think wall-e). The result was two slightly different images. When you set them side-by-side and viewed them at a certain distance with some sort of barrier between the image, it would give you the true sense of 3D. Of course, we quickly scrapped that way of doing it and started using polarized images, but it did work. And that's what I'm thinking of sending you since you need nothing except a folder or piece of paper.

I'm just trying to tell you that the 3D that pops out of the screen is the gimmick (that is why you only saw things fly at your face in things like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland very occasionally). The true value of 3D is its ability to give you true depth; not panorama depth, not pop out depth, but true depth.

I know its hard to explain and that's why i'm considering showing you a video, but I think if you've seen Avatar in 3D (specifically IMAX 3D) and then you watch it on Netflix, you'll understand that the pop out bullshit is not the significant thing about it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I have not watched Avatar on any movie using the new 3D tech (unless My Bloody Valentine 3D counts)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Wait a minute, developers are truely excited for Nintendo hardware? I don't know guys this looks like the beginning of the end to me.

LOL at BNM's constant head tracking statements, and then Spinnzilla asking him about it. Thats comedy!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
There are whispers that this system is more powerful than a Gamecube which means it's more powerful than a PSP.

A PSP was roughly a PS2 lite which would mean not quite as powerful as a PS2.
The GC was already more powerful(very close to the XBox) than the PS2 and the 3DS could be a GC+.

That would put it somewhere between the power of a GC and a Wii.
I'm really hoping that Nintendo allows HD resolution (720p) with some sort of TVout solution (wireless or mini-hdmi).

and don't forget that Netflix was hinting at possible support for the DS. If this GC+ 3DS is true, we could see some Netflix support from Day 1. with a TVout option, increased wireless speed and a possible (yet unlikely and not very necessary) 3G option, that makes me very excited to be a Nintendo fan right now.

edit: I think it's time to start a new DS2 3DS wishlist.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:55:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
I dont' think we'll get a million gamecube ports, when didn't get a million N64 ports with the DS. 

If anything I think Netflix on the 3DS will be more of an after thought through a download or something.  Nintendo already stated what sets them apart from Sony and Microsoft is that they concentrate on the gaming experience more so vs. the multimedia capabilities, unlike the HD guys.  Movies on my nintendo handheld would be a cool addition, but it's not something i'm going to hold out for. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
That's the thing though, you won't have to hold out for it. Netflix is already talking about it, which means they are likely experimenting with it and could easily have it ready for launch if the 3DS is anywhere near as powerful and flexible as it sounds.

Netflix is trying to be everywhere that matters right now, and to have a Netflix 3DSware App on day 1 would be a win for Netflix, a nice bullet point for 3DS and yet another way to Nintendo to say "King Me" on the handheld system checkerboard.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
Okay so here's what rumored so far, right?
-Force feed back rumble
-a true pressure sensitive touch screen
-accelerometer
-joy/analog stick
-better wifi (3G would be really, really nice too....)
-increased battery life
-netflix support

anything missing, BlackNMild?

if half of this is true, that's gonna be one hell of interactive handheld.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
I have a feeling that everyone on this board is going to be extremely disappointed.

That said, I'm sure the device will still kick ass.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Okay so here's what rumored so far, right?
-Force feed back rumble
-a true pressure sensitive touch screen
-accelerometer
-joy/analog stick
-better wifi (3G would be really, really nice too....)
-increased battery life
-netflix support
-Gamecube level or better graphics
-holographic storage

and don't forget the patent that Nintendo just got on that new DS card design, I think we all know what it could be used for.

I have a feeling that everyone on this board is going to be extremely disappointed.

Over building expectations is all part of the process, it's what fuels the HYPE TRAIN

That said, I'm sure the device will still kick ass.

I agree.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:23:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
kicking ass, takin' pictures of ass

Edit:  omg, 3D images of ass
true quality visual sense of depth of that ass
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:47:08 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Dear god BnM if that holographic stuff turns out true... *wowed*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/3ds-mockups/

Here's a fun gallery of mock ups.  Some of them awesome, some of them ugly as ass.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile

I really hope people don't think this is how it'll actually look. Mario's bigger than the damn screen! lol

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/3ds-mockups/

Here's a fun gallery of mock ups.  Some of them awesome, some of them ugly as ass.

Almost every single one of those if from GAF, all of them except for #15 which looks too nice to ever happen.
#15 is more like the 3DS2 with holographic projection the way he "visualized" it.