Author Topic: Monster Hunter 3 May Get Free Online, Wii Speak Support  (Read 10284 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Monster Hunter 3 May Get Free Online, Wii Speak Support
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:06:55 AM »
Capcom discusses online play for the North American release.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20103

At the Tokyo Games Show this year, representatives from Capcom spoke about the online play features in the North American release of Monster Hunter 3.  Capcom producer Ryozo Tsjmoto said in an interview with G4 that, "We've gotten a lot of feedback from people online."  He noted that a lot of users have asked for voice chat, and commented that, "We're looking into whether it's technically possible or not, and so if it is, maybe we'll make an announcement.  If it realistically can't be done, we may have to leave it out."  

He also noted that there may be some weapons exclusive to the North American release.  

In another interview at TGS 2009, Chris Kramer, Senior Director of Communications and Community for Capcom USA indicated that although the Japanese version of the game requires a monthly fee to play online, Capcom isn't sure that such a system would work in the US.  He explained, "It's something that we're looking into at the moment and there are a few factors to consider. Firstly, Monster Hunter isn't as popular in the West, so it might put people off. Secondly, Japan doesn't have Friend Codes, so Capcom runs all the servers and the monthly fee is essentially to pay for those costs."  

Monster Hunter 3 supports up to 4 players online, and is set for a March 2010 release in North America.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Monster Hunter 3 May Get Free Online, Wii Speak Support
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »
If this game goes free, it will go from a "no way in heck" to a "gotta get it" for me.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
I completely agree with Pale. Also, *obligatory comment about how this was on the forums days ago*.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:38:57 AM »
Monster Hunter was more enjoyable than I thought it would of been for single player, I am very interested to see a couple of things..

1)Free Online
2)Friend Matching Service..
3)Nuff said.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »
Yeah, the online service has to be free. A monthly subscription format doesn't lend itself well to console games in the West. Seeing as four player online co-op is one of the main selling points about Monster Hunter, having to pay would be a massive turn-off for me personally.

The Wii Speak integration is less important, though I would still greatly appreciate being able to talk to the people in my party. I'm sure it is well within Capcom's capabilities to implement voice chat.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »
I completely agree with Pale. Also, *obligatory comment about how this was on the forums days ago*.

And we knew about it days ago, but it took awhile to get written up and posted.  But thanks for rubbing it in our faces...I hope it makes you feel like a big man.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Every time Lindy posts I feel like Jay Z is yelling at me.  :(
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »

And we knew about it days ago, but it took awhile to get written up and posted.  But thanks for rubbing it in our faces...I hope it makes you feel like a big man.

So apparently it's supposed to be obvious to us when Lindy's being tongue in cheek but it doesn't work the other way around.

What happened to you, Lindy? You used to be cool.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:10:41 PM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »

Wow. It was so obvious it was a joke. No offense, but you've been acting like a child lately. If you really feel that unappreciated, then why don't you move on like Neal and Nick did?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »
And maybe some other popular forumer can don the Kanye avatar and butt-in with passionate commentary.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 02:11:27 PM »
The staff's just been getting a lot of un-due flack lately so Jigga's just a little sensitive.

It would be like it I made a joke about your mom at her funeral.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 02:14:46 PM »
I don't think it was un-due. There's a reason for everything. Maybe a little more than they should have, but there is still a reason for it.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
Better be a damn good joke.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »
The staff's just been getting a lot of un-due flack lately so Jigga's just a little sensitive.

It would be like it I made a joke about your mom at her funeral.

Are saying that the site is dying?

Site's been getting all kinds of interviews, and posting up impressions from TGS and whatnot, so it seems alive.... maybe they would be a little better if they could finally figure out how to remove that cancerous tumor they refer to as the forums.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »
Sorry, no.  I didn't mean to imply the site was dying.  Just that Insanolord picked a bad time to make a joke.

Offline disake

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
I have no idea how the comments got twisted there, but this game just went from maybe to sold if it's free online.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
I've never played a MMORPG before. Even with free online and gorgeous graphics, I'm still skeptical.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 02:39:31 PM »
I have no idea how the comments got twisted there, but this game just went from maybe to sold if it's free online.

Contrary to logic, the Talkbalk Comment Section is actually part of the Forum, not the regular site.  The social unrest in the Forum naturally spread here.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
"Social unrest" LOL I'm about to flip a car over here.

Monster Hunter: this game has to be free online in North America.  It won't sell any other way; it just wouldn't make sense.

Forum drama: We aren't an aggregate site that simply hijacks other people's hard work (even though that appears to be how you get hits these days).  When we post news it has been researched, often added to, edited, and sometimes rewritten.  That takes time because people have real schedules, and can't always drop everything to write a news story.

We'll be improving our news coverage in time, but there are other factors involved that need to be addressed before that happens.  I just don't think the "this was posted in the forums two days ago" stuff is really constructive, especially when it regards stories like this one that aren't necessarily "timely".  We get time-sensitive news up ASAP, as a rule.  Yes, stuff will get posted in the forums quickly, but that's because there is typically zero research and editing involved.  In other words, forum posts have no journalistic overhead.  I'd rather post a good story that's well-written than just toss something up there quickly like a forum post.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
Lindy's got 99 problems but bitchy forumers aren't 1

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »
I prefer to call them "opportunities".  LOL
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »
So what your saying is: If there was more journalistic overhead, than you'd consider using the forums as a resource?

Nigga, is you crazy?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
The forum is just a copy of what's on GordNintendo.  The forum is hardly a source of anything, other than protein and testosterone.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »
So what your saying is: If there was more journalistic overhead, than you'd consider using the forums as a resource?

Nigga, is you crazy?

We've got to teach the puppies not to eat the ice cream!

Bad puppy!

No!  Bad puppy!
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
Wii Speak makes this game tempting. Are the Monster Hunter games even worth it if you don't pay the online fee?

I would pay money for an ignore feature in these forums. Just saying.