Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 177975 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #700 on: October 21, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
I spoke to a guy at Gamestop and he said that the Move controller is selling off he shelves and that the quality is way better than the motion controls found on the Wii. If this is the case, I hope to see what Nintendo has in store for the Wii 2.

Maybe Nintendo will make it where the Move can work on the Wii, since they've been so outdone.  I don't see why not.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 22, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »
I spoke to a guy at Gamestop and he said that the Move controller is selling off he shelves and that the quality is way better than the motion controls found on the Wii. If this is the case, I hope to see what Nintendo has in store for the Wii 2.

I hope that whatever nintendo has up their sleeves have nothing to do with motion controls, cause with the recent imitations from microsoft and sonys take on motion controls have become played out. But am sure nintendo has it all figured out cause now they know that they are not the only ones.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 22, 2010, 01:45:18 AM »

I bet he was basing his "better than" on the original Wii controller, and not the one with M+ which is a huge improvement.
is your sanity...

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 22, 2010, 01:51:28 AM »
^for sure, people at gamestop dont even try to sell the accessory, i dont blame them, but now they got their work cut off short since now nintendo is doing what they should have done since the beginning the normal wiimote with motion plus included.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 22, 2010, 02:13:10 AM »
"wiimote with motion plus included."  Kinda pointless if the software doesn't support M+.  Nintendo has to make games that actually uses it.  It's been out for awhile now and I bet there isn't even a dozen titles yet and out of those there's only two that I wanted to play--Sports and Red Steel.

I kept wanting for EA Bloom Box M+ edition but sadly it's never going to happen.  And it's not just Nintendo's lagging behind in the software front neither, both MS and Sony's lineup falls to impress.  Need more traditional games vrs all this party crap.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 22, 2010, 03:20:32 AM »
"wiimote with motion plus included."  Kinda pointless if the software doesn't support M+.  Nintendo has to make games that actually uses it.  It's been out for awhile now and I bet there isn't even a dozen titles yet and out of those there's only two that I wanted to play--Sports and Red Steel.

I kept wanting for EA Bloom Box M+ edition but sadly it's never going to happen.  And it's not just Nintendo's lagging behind in the software front neither, both MS and Sony's lineup falls to impress.  Need more traditional games vrs all this party crap.

Well at least one we know its coming from Nintendo... Legend of Zelda Skyward Swords!!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 22, 2010, 03:45:51 AM »
Any Zelda game is worth as much as a dozen generic forgettable titles, and Skyward Swords will support M+. That's basically the equivalent of having Chuck Norris in your corner.
is your sanity...

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 22, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »
this is what i was talking about,
http://www.pcworld.com/article/208558/is_that_25_million_playstation_moves_shipped_or_sold.html?tk=hp_new
But I said that it was shipped in the post I made about this already.

Sony ships 1 Million Move units in NA
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1129631p1.html

N.A. + EUR = 2.5million units shipped so far.

and for future reference, Sony always reports "Shipped" numbers in their PR statements.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 22, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
this is what i was talking about,
http://www.pcworld.com/article/208558/is_that_25_million_playstation_moves_shipped_or_sold.html?tk=hp_new
But I said that it was shipped in the post I made about this already.

Sony ships 1 Million Move units in NA
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1129631p1.html

N.A. + EUR = 2.5million units shipped so far.

and for future reference, Sony always reports "Shipped" numbers in their PR statements.

I just wanted out there cause i had made a comment earlier about this, and today i went to pc world and saw and article about it, i though it what curious, thats why i posted the link.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 22, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »
I have seen absolutely no fanfare for this at all around here.  If I didn't frequent forums I wouldn't even know that this thing exists. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
I seen some commercials with that obnoxious Kevin Butler who moved into some family's home against their consent and he was dressed up as a Viking and eating children. He said "some people think motion gaming is just for little kids" and he laughed. All I could do in response was a facepalm.

I knew it would happen. I just KNEW IT. The jerk just had to imply the Wii is "kiddie" and that his waggle dingaling is more suited for the big boys. I hope no one who viewed that commercial bought into that rubbish.
is your sanity...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 22, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
I seen some commercials with that obnoxious Kevin Butler who moved into some family's home against their consent and he was dressed up as a Viking and eating children. He said "some people think motion gaming is just for little kids" and he laughed.

Tell that to all the grannies that have one.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #713 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
I think Nintendo is trying to push Motion plus as the new standard...and it is kinda hard.  Nintendo wants to make sure every Wii user has it first.

Personally, I think the next system should still be motion based, as I believe motion based is STILL the future of games.  But, I think the Wii controller has taught Nintendo a lot about motion controls.

I see the next Nintendo system basically being like the Super Wii.  Think Super Nintendo but with motion controls.  I think Nintendo will perfect the controller.

I am thinking a new kind of sensor bar that uses more than one detection sensor, perhaps another gyroscope to make a more accurate Wii Motion + + and finally, a better more functioning Nunchuk with analog better buttons, and motion capabilities closer to the original Wiimote.

All of this with a nice HD system would be nice...and Nintendo could launch it with Wii Sports 2 that features more full featured games and new Zelda with amazing motion control that takes what Skyward Sword is doing and blows it away. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 23, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
I'm hoping Nintendo does what Sony should have with the Move, and that is make the nunchuck into another wiimote.

Sony should have put a lollipop on the end of the nunchcuk too so that both hands are being tracked by the Eyetoy.

So I'm hoping Nintendo not only includes a motion tracking camera with the Wii2, but puts some sort of LED around the top edges of the Wiimote/Nunchuck 2.0 so that both can be tracked by the camera and both would have an equal amount of motion sensors for extreme accuracy whether they are in view of the camera or not.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 23, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
I am curious to see how Nintendo reacts to what ever success the Move and Kinect systems have this year. I ask this because I am getting very anxious to see the Wii 2 now that the 3DS has been revealed. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 23, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »
All three systems have reached their plateaus and sales are pretty much in neutral. With Sony and MS offering motion add-ons, Nintendo HAS to give us something new. The question is, are they going to be content with the 3DS, or are they going to preview the Wii2 at E3 2011?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 23, 2010, 04:08:05 PM »
I seen some commercials with that obnoxious Kevin Butler who moved into some family's home against their consent and he was dressed up as a Viking and eating children. He said "some people think motion gaming is just for little kids" and he laughed. All I could do in response was a facepalm.

I knew it would happen. I just KNEW IT. The jerk just had to imply the Wii is "kiddie" and that his waggle dingaling is more suited for the big boys. I hope no one who viewed that commercial bought into that rubbish.

Personally i think the guy is an idiot, but it goes well with sony's double standard.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 23, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »
All three systems have reached their plateaus and sales are pretty much in neutral. With Sony and MS offering motion add-ons, Nintendo HAS to give us something new. The question is, are they going to be content with the 3DS, or are they going to preview the Wii2 at E3 2011?

I am almost one-hundred percent certain that we will get a Wii 2 reveal at E3 2011 and a early 2012 release for Japan and a late 2012 for the US and Europe.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 23, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
I gave Move a try over at Armageddon in NZ, a annual pop expo here. It was for Time Crisis and wow, the internet had failed to prepare me for this.

There is a real crisis going on alright, and it's Move. I doesn't fucking work. I don't give a flying **** that it's a preview demo, no excuses. The pointer function simply doesn't work. Calibrate all I want, it loses it in single digit seconds.

Navigating the menu is a nightmare in itself. The Wiimote provides a D-pad for such purposes should you not want to use it's fully functional pointer abilities. Move was unintuitive, requiring you to point down and use the trigger in an inaccurate and slow fashion to select menu items since the F-ing pointer doesn't work and can't be used for the menu anyway. About 75% of the time, it wouldn't respond, so god knows how the game actually plays.

I just bet if I play this game exactly like a light gun game, Move would throw a complete **** fit, given how fast you can move in those games.

There is a reason why Nintendo did what they did and now I truly understand. Sony should have just ripped off Nintendo wholesale just like they have done in the past. Sure they would be called rip-offs, but ****, it would work.

I will give some of the other games a try tomorrow, but I will prepare myself for the worse.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: October 23, 2010, 11:15:55 PM »
I gave Move a try over at Armageddon in NZ, a annual pop expo here. It was for Time Crisis and wow, the internet had failed to prepare me for this.

There is a real crisis going on alright, and it's Move. I doesn't fucking work. I don't give a flying **** that it's a preview demo, no excuses. The pointer function simply doesn't work. Calibrate all I want, it loses it in single digit seconds.

Navigating the menu is a nightmare in itself. The Wiimote provides a D-pad for such purposes should you not want to use it's fully functional pointer abilities. Move was unintuitive, requiring you to point down and use the trigger in an inaccurate and slow fashion to select menu items since the F-ing pointer doesn't work and can't be used for the menu anyway. About 75% of the time, it wouldn't respond, so god knows how the game actually plays.

I just bet if I play this game exactly like a light gun game, Move would throw a complete **** fit, given how fast you can move in those games.

There is a reason why Nintendo did what they did and now I truly understand. Sony should have just ripped off Nintendo wholesale just like they have done in the past. Sure they would be called rip-offs, but ****, it would work.

I will give some of the other games a try tomorrow, but I will prepare myself for the worse.

Yes!  Validation of the pointer problems I had and talked about around E3!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 24, 2010, 01:09:28 AM »

Hmm...I wonder if there was something wrong with the unit you used.  I haven't heard similar issues from sites I trust like Giant Bomb or whatnot.  I have heard that the unit has severe trouble dealing with certain lighting.  Maybe the lighting there was incompatible?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 24, 2010, 02:10:58 AM »
Given the way the Move works it's no surprise that pointing doesn't work. Since the thing the camera tracks is the glowing ball it cannot determine rotation and when a human points at something rotation is the main action. That means it has to rely on the gyroscope and lacks a way to re-calibrate it automatically. I've been playing Zangeki no Reginleiv on the Wii and that uses the motion plus as a fallback for pointing (because you'll be moving the remote so much it'll often lose track of the sensor bar), there's a noticeable drift in the aim from rapid movement until the remote finds the sensor bar again and recalibrates. The camera in the Wiimote means it's easier to track where you are pointing as opposed to where you are holding it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 24, 2010, 02:32:26 AM »
There are no excuses for this. The lighting was well away and above. Another unit playing another game using the pointer right next to the unit I was playing appeared ok, although the game itself seemed questionable. It looked like they were playing Lethal Enforcers, but with cowboys. It looked that bad.

I calibrated, made sure that I was still pointed in the right direction, exited the menu. Had to reload, shot off screen, ok, didn't work, so shook the gun. Starts screaming to calibrate again. This is inside of ten seconds from the last calibration. Tired of using the menu for the third time I gave up. The first 2 times I didn't make it out of the menu before it bitched at me again. 2 meters away from the camera.

Given that even the menu doesn't function in a reasonable fashion, Bullshit is in the air.

Seriously, fucking Namco, what stopped you bring Time Crisis to Wii? Easy money. Near free money.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 24, 2010, 04:38:18 AM »

Amen.