Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 177984 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #275 on: February 23, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »
those are different though, because their games that have the addons packed in. I didn't list Donkey Kong 64(because thats how i got my expansion pak), or Namco's Time Crisis with Gun games because they generally sell the game with the device. I just mentioned Donkey Kong 64, but as a rule first party ad-ons don't do well. I didn't see Dk bongos take off because nobody used them outside of Nintendo. When first parties release and addon its like "hey we got this thing on our system, maybe some of yous 3rd parties can makes some games, come on! please?". When a 3rd party releases an ad-on its like establishing a platform on a platform, because the 3rd party release more games using the add-on.  First parties find it difficult to find support for an add-on. Not to mention all those hit games are part of some gaming fad. Notice how dance games aren't as prominent as they were a couple years ago, but those music games are pretty much the same thing but super popular?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 23, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »
Ian, I remember you saying that if Nintendo released the Wii with a CC that it would be a bad thing. Something about not trusting it to be a success or a standard or something.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »
Ok, we all know Ian's a bit nuts, but "Sony was never good at innovation but they were always good at getting the little things right."?!  WTF??

Sony has been fucking up the "little things" on their controllers left and right since the beginning.  They suck at controllers.  Nintendo may **** up a few things here and there, but man, they're controller-design gods compared to Sony (or perhaps more importantly, they actually seem to do testing of their designs, whereas Sony apparently just whips up something kewl-looking in a CAD program and sends it straight off to manufacturing...).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:11 AM »
Ok, we all know Ian's a bit nuts, but "Sony was never good at innovation but they were always good at getting the little things right."?!  WTF??

Sony has been fucking up the "little things" on their controllers left and right since the beginning.  They suck at controllers.  Nintendo may **** up a few things here and there, but man, they're controller-design gods compared to Sony (or perhaps more importantly, they actually seem to do testing of their designs, whereas Sony apparently just whips up something kewl-looking in a CAD program and sends it straight off to manufacturing...).

A great example of this is the Classic Controller Pro. Same basic layout as a Dual Shock, nearly identical button placement, but feels A LOT better in my hands than the Dual Shock 3. Don't ever let it be said that Nintendo aren't the masters of controller design.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2010, 11:36:01 AM »
I didn't read his entire post (his opinion is usually stated at the beginning anyway) but I'm pretty sure he was talking about how Sony is giving developers options and not forcing certain control scheme down their throats; which is a load of bullocks because they definitely need games emphasizing the controller and they want it to be a success and not a developer after-thought.

Nintendo did it the other way from the beginning. If you really don't know how to utilize the wiimote, you can support the CC.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:37:52 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »
or you could forget the motion and just use the the wiichuck.
the d-pad could work as 4 buttons all on it's own to make 6 on one side if you include the A & B buttons.

Developers have never had more options, when it comes to control, than they have with the Wii.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2010, 03:06:43 PM »
You can also get around lack of buttons by using button combinations. For example, the NES controller only had two buttons. You might think this would be a problem for certain types of games, but River City Ransom for example had you jump by pushing a+b together simultaneously, or had you run by pushing forward on the D-pad twice.

it takes a slightly longer time for players to get used to it, but it shows you can get lots of moves out of just a few buttons this way.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
To be fair, I always hated the double button jump. *shakes fist at Double Dragon*

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2010, 12:43:33 AM »
i loved River City Ransom. The first thing i would think about when making a new games is how can i make control even more intuitive. The Wii mote is way better thn any other scheme on the market right now. Screw the second joystick. The idea that whole genres can't be made on Wii will never make sense to me. I don't want cookie cutter games. The idea od " if it aint broke then dont fix it" works for a while, till something gets old. Playing Soul Calibur 2 and playing Soul Calibur 4, i can see where graphics aren't everything. Its the same game just prettier with some extra features. I beat the game on my first try.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
Looks like the rumored name for the Playstation Motion Controller "Arc" is all but officially confirmed.

THQ CEO Names Sony's Motion Controller As "Arc"
Get used to referring to Sony's forthcoming motion controller for the PlayStation 3 as Arc. That's how THQ president and CEO Brian Farrell referred to the still unofficially named, PlayStation Eye-powered controller, previously known as "Gem," in today's investor call.

That name backs up previously published rumors that Sony was going with the Arc name, but is still not confirmation of the PS3 controller, recently delayed to the fall.

We're checking in with Sony Computer Entertainment America reps to see if they'd like to just go ahead and confirm it already, but this is sounding more and more final.

Sony & Konami Both File "Arc" Trademarks, New Gradius Coming?
A new trademark from PlayStation 3 maker Sony lends more credibility to the rumor that its forthcoming motion controller—still officially the PlayStation Motion Controller—will be called Arc. Konami's new Gradius Arc trademark, however, is something else.Or are they related? Siliconera just happened to dig up two recently filed Japanese trademarks, one for PlayStation Arc, the other for Gradius Arc, the second obviously somewhere in Konami's plans for another game in its venerable side-scrolling shoot 'em up series. Could it be one of the game's we'll be playing while holding Sony's new PlayStation Eye-powered wand?
While we may not know Konami's plans for a new Gradius right now, we're definitely going to hear a lot more about Sony's motion controller next week at GDC.
It also appears that we will be having a  Full Unveiling of "Arc" at GDC.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2010, 02:20:28 PM »
HOLD IT!

How the hell would you control Gradius with a motion controller?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
There is a user on GAF that claims to have a developer friend that is working with "Arc".
Here are some unconfirmed details as to how it is setup.

Wireless Nunchuck
-analog stick at the top
-X and O buttons in the middle
-D-pad below that
-L1 & L2 in trigger positions
-longer than a Wii nunchuck

Glow Stick
-Big "Win" button on top for thumb (R1?)
-Four face buttons surround "Win" button (O, X, Triangle, Square)
-Start & Select buttons below that
-Trigger on bottom labeled "T" (R2?)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2010, 06:34:30 PM »
Stick and a nunchuck? Geez, where have we seen something like that before?

Another brilliant and original Sony innovation(TM)!
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »
There is a user on GAF that claims to have a developer friend that is working with "Arc".
Here are some unconfirmed details as to how it is setup.

Wireless Nunchuck
-analog stick at the top
-X and O buttons in the middle
-D-pad below that
-L1 & L2 in trigger positions
-longer than a Wii nunchuck

Glow Stick
-Big "Win" button on top for thumb (R1?)
-Four face buttons surround "Win" button (O, X, Triangle, Square)
-Start & Select buttons below that
-Trigger on bottom labeled "T" (R2?)

Why do they need two sets of X and O buttons?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
it's sony, so we know they'll manage to screw it up horribly somehow...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »
I'm more curious about why there is also a d-pad on the nunchuck and how are you supposed to use it comfortably.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 07, 2010, 06:48:28 PM »
it's sony, so we know they'll manage to screw it up horribly somehow...

Like possibly making Nunchuck O/X and Arc O/X perform two seperate in-game functions? Yeah i bet.

I'm more curious about why there is also a d-pad on the nunchuck and how are you supposed to use it comfortably.

They why is easy: They want to make you feel like you're holding a dualshock with extra buttons (O/X)
The how..yeah I don't even know. It's Sony..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »
They could put the dpad on the end of the analogue stick, and have all the buttons on long springy stalks.
Plus the rotating disco mirror ball of course.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 08, 2010, 02:04:14 AM »
It's Sony, they could attach thumbtacks to all the buttons and it'd still be an improvement.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 08, 2010, 02:28:49 AM »
They could put the dpad on the end of the analogue stick, and have all the buttons on long springy stalks.
Plus the rotating disco mirror ball of course.

How about a controller which is actually a giant analog stick that you set on the floor like a table or something, and then you move it with both hands (because its so huge).
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »
MS forces Sony to scrap 'Arc'?
Monday 8-Mar-2010 11:35 AM Microsoft-owned trademark has affected rival's plans, say sources

A Microsoft trademark could have forced Sony to rename its PS3 motion wand.

Though it's never been officially Christened, the PS3 motion controller has been heavily tipped to be called 'Arc' - with several third-party execs coining the name.

It's emerged this morning, however, that a range of Microsoft-trademarked PC accessories of the same name could have forced Sony to change its plans.

Industry sources have this morning told CVG that Sony is considering a quick renaming of the device - to avoid potential confusion and clashes with Microsoft over the trademark.

SCEA's Patrick Seybold admitted 'PlayStation Arc' is a "rumoured codename" for the controller last month, after THQ president Brian Farrell used the Arc name in an investor call.

Of course the other name being chucked about for the PS3 wand is 'Gem', and Disney Interactive recently used it recently in public.

When contacted, an SCE spokesperson issued a straight "no comment" on our report.
I really hope they don't go with the GEM code name.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #297 on: March 08, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
It should come with a Shocking Pink star tattoo to wear over your eye.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »
I actually hope this has some success just to prove Nintendo right and to also force them to recognize competition.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
I really should get around to trademarking the word "The". Then whenever anyone uses it I can sue them for damages.
is your sanity...