Author Topic: Perfect Dark Arcade  (Read 21812 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Dark Arcade
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »
Ya know how everyone gave me a hard time saying that my nostalgia was clouding my judgment of Kid Icarus?

Yeah... you all... nostalgia... perfect dark... cloud.

Absolutely not. Perfect Dark, at the time it came out, was far and away the best FPS on a console EVER and had the best and most customizable multiplayer of any game, with the possible exception of Super Smash Bros.

And you know what? That's still true today. It has far more options than any FPS since then, more and more interesting weapons, a good chunk of levels for an N64 game (and I wouldn't be surprised to see new levels hit Xbox Live), and RIDICULOUS stat tracking. There's a reason I still deal with the chugging framerate of Perfect Dark when I want to play a sweet split-screen shooter with my bros.

In fact, I showed Perfect Dark to one of my friends for the first time ever earlier this year, and he loved it. He's completely pumped about this. And he's a Halofag.

So no. Not nostalgia.

Not to mention that with it being on Xbox Live, it will have dual analog control and won't suffer from ANY of the performance issues it did on N64, which to me means that it will have far and away the best online (and presumably local) multiplayer of any console shooter.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 03:37:07 PM »
I do remember the cool customizable AI in PD, where you could set the computer to focus on certain things. It was quite revolutionary for the time.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »
Any time a game related web site or magazine does some "most innovative games of all time" list and puts Halo on it I want to punch 'em.  I think Goldeneye and Perfect Dark get forgotten about when these discussions come up entirely because they were exclusives on a Nintendo console.  Halo is also made by a PC developer (well mostly Mac developer; PC as in literally "personal computer") and published by Microsoft on a console that was literally a PC in a different case.  Halo's PC background allowed it to overcome the "console FPS games are crap" mentality.  In comparison a company like Rare who made (*gasp*) PLATFORMERS clearly must not have known what they're doing.

In fact Goldeneye didn't just influence console first person shooters but the entire genre period.  Before it came out everything played like Doom (a game that also gets too much credit but I cut it slack since Wolfenstein 3D was made by the same devs; the right people get the credit for the wrong game) but Goldeneye had all these mission objectives and such.  It was a real step up.  But shortly afterwards Half-Life came out.  That was a PC game so it gets all the credit for expanding on the straight up action of Doom.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
Goldeneye will never again see the light of day. Nintendo still hold some publishing rights over the game and there's no way they'll allow it to be released on a Microsoft platform. Plus, Rare would have to pay to use the Bond license once again.

Both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark already have a dual-analogue control setting which can be achieved using two controllers. I haven't ever found a single person who used this setup, but still, it was there. It's a novel idea and the only game I know of which allowed the use of two controllers for one player.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
Any time a game related web site or magazine does some "most innovative games of all time" list and puts Halo on it I want to punch 'em.  I think Goldeneye and Perfect Dark get forgotten about when these discussions come up entirely because they were exclusives on a Nintendo console.  Halo is also made by a PC developer (well mostly Mac developer; PC as in literally "personal computer") and published by Microsoft on a console that was literally a PC in a different case.  Halo's PC background allowed it to overcome the "console FPS games are crap" mentality.  In comparison a company like Rare who made (*gasp*) PLATFORMERS clearly must not have known what they're doing.

In fact Goldeneye didn't just influence console first person shooters but the entire genre period.  Before it came out everything played like Doom (a game that also gets too much credit but I cut it slack since Wolfenstein 3D was made by the same devs; the right people get the credit for the wrong game) but Goldeneye had all these mission objectives and such.  It was a real step up.  But shortly afterwards Half-Life came out.  That was a PC game so it gets all the credit for expanding on the straight up action of Doom.

I think both Goldeneye and Half-Life helped evolve the genre. You are right though, that it is sad Goldeneye is left in the dust.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 10:41:44 PM »
Goldeneye will never again see the light of day. Nintendo still hold some publishing rights over the game and there's no way they'll allow it to be released on a Microsoft platform. Plus, Rare would have to pay to use the Bond license once again.

Both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark already have a dual-analogue control setting which can be achieved using two controllers. I haven't ever found a single person who used this setup, but still, it was there. It's a novel idea and the only game I know of which allowed the use of two controllers for one player.

What? What? Really? Is this possible without the Game Shark? Its a preset control scheme? And how do you overclock an N64 anyway?

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 12:03:48 AM »
What the old thread wasn't good enough for your fancy picture? ;)

The little info that was in there:

Accoding to IGN PD will be released in the NA winter in 1080p. Apparently it is otherwise a straight port.
IGN report

EDIT 9/6: Perfect Dark may not be a vanilla port after all. Electric Theatre says that:
- the dev studio (4J Studios) is the one responsible for the Banjo-Kazooie port on 360
- they are going to convert the game to 1080p
- improve the frame rate
- redo some of the textures
- Online Multiplayer for 4 players
- split screen co-op play (retained from the original)
      - not confirmed whether there is online co-op

In regards to the dual analog on Goldeneye, yeah it was preset in the control settings menu. There were a few different settings with different button configurations. I tried it but thought it was terrible. It would be interesting to go back now and try, what with dual analogue being the norm.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:10:42 AM by blackfootsteps »
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 02:50:53 AM »
Uh, no, this is flat out wrong. Nintendo doesn't hold any publishing rights; they prevented the XBLA release basically just through intimidation of Activision, who currently has exclusive rights to publishing Bond games. I think this was a really asshole move on Nintendo's part (I hear it was Iwata specifically).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for when a different company nabs the license.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 02:52:42 AM »
Uh, no, this is flat out wrong. Nintendo doesn't hold any publishing rights; they prevented the XBLA release basically just through intimidation of Activision, who currently has exclusive rights to publishing Bond games. I think this was a really asshole move on Nintendo's part (I hear it was Iwata specifically).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for when a different company nabs the license.

Rumors are facts.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 03:14:05 AM »
It is a fact that Nintendo holds no publishing rights to GoldenEye.

It's also a fact that Nintendo has had a policy of suing individuals for leaking secrets.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 03:18:44 AM »
How can you think that is not EXACTLY what happened? ARhrHRHGHHGHFHFFHFFF

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
LOL @ Ty's tantrum.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »

I started using it way back in Goldeneye and continued using it with Perfect Dark.  I hated having to switch down to one controller in multiplayer.

If I'm not mistaken, I can literally go back today and play this game the way FPS's are played now days (move on the left stick look on the right stick.... wait of course you can because you can just swap the controllers into different hands as long as the fire and aim buttons end up in the right spot).

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »

As Rize mentioned, Perfect Dark used it too, but there was also the Star Wars: Episode I Pod Racing game for the N64 that had an option to use 2 controllers to replicate the dual controls of the Pod Racers (at least Anakins) in said movie. A friend of mine had it, I tried it, but it was way too odd at the time. We tried the same for 007 and PD, and although much easier to control that the Star Wars game, it just wasn't for us. I'd love to go back and try it now that i'm used to a dual analog setup..

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember that vaguely. 

I'm trying to remember if that Bond game that ripped of Goldeneye heavily and came in a blue cartridge had the feature as well.  I don't think it did.  It replaced the look up/down on the C buttons with jump and duck (whereas GE had no jump and duck was something weird like hold the reload button and press down).

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
Tomorrow Never Dies, I believe.  A friend of mine had it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »
I have Tomorrow never dies. Started off good but then kinda trailed off to 'meh' and I never finished it. Oh crap, I never beat Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, either... bustin98 FTL

Maybe I will beat PD if the 360 version turns out well.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »
How can you think that is not EXACTLY what happened? ARhrHRHGHHGHFHFFHFFF

Maybe because we don't really know? What a concept ;)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
We all know you have friends at Microsoft. You know what went down.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
It is a fact that Nintendo holds no publishing rights to GoldenEye.

It's also a fact that Nintendo has had a policy of suing individuals for leaking secrets.

Uh-huh, what makes you think Nintendo doesn't still have the publishing rights to the game? They owned the license at the time, Rare was basically just an outside contractor that Nintendo hired to develop it (sorta like Artoon with Yoshi's Island DS). Rare (and now Microsoft)  has zero rights to the game. Take the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games for example. Both Konami (the original publisher) and Ubisoft (current publisher) have to work together for stuff like VC and XBLA releases of them. GoldenEye 007 isn't happening on any non-Nintendo console unless Activision gets Nintendo's permission.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »
What? What? Really? Is this possible without the Game Shark? Its a preset control scheme? And how do you overclock an N64 anyway?
Yeah it's a preset available in both games, they're the ones listed as "2.x".

I'm not exactly sure what the procedure of overclocking a Nintendo 64 entails, but it involves lifting certain pins of the CPU and soldering a wire to them. It makes the CPU run at 1.5 times its normal speed, which, depending on how a game was programmed, will either fix the choppy framerate (like in Perfect Dark) or simply cause the game to run at 1.5 times the speed (StarFox 64). If you don't have experience working with electronics then it probably isn't something you could do, it is a very delicate operation. You could probably find a guide if you googled "Nintendo 64 overclock".

Uh, no, this is flat out wrong. Nintendo doesn't hold any publishing rights;
You sure about that? Because Nintendo published Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64, and once expressed interest in releasing it on the Wii Virtual Console.

As Rize mentioned, Perfect Dark used it too, but there was also the Star Wars: Episode I Pod Racing game for the N64 that had an option to use 2 controllers to replicate the dual controls of the Pod Racers
Like I said in that very post, both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had the two-controller scheme. I didn't know that Star Wars game had it because I've never played it, that's interesting. I wonder how it worked? Kind of makes me want to play it out of curiosity.

I'm trying to remember if that Bond game that ripped off Goldeneye heavily and came in a blue cartridge had the feature as well.
You mean The World is Not Enough, the best Bond game from EA (though still not so good). It did not have the two-controller setup.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 12:01:16 AM »
I thought Nightfire was the best EA Bond game.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 12:03:56 AM »
I thought Nightfire was the best EA Bond game.

Definitely. It was probably the next best FPS on the system after TimeSplitters 2.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 01:04:45 AM »
I didn't know that Star Wars game had it because I've never played it, that's interesting. I wonder how it worked?

Push forward on a stick to make that respective engine go, like in the arcade. So to turn, you'd have one stick pushed forward, and one back. Forward was both sticks forward, etc. Not quite as epic without the big arcade seat.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2009, 09:31:05 AM »
Quote from: EasyCure on Yesterday at 11:13:25 am
As Rize mentioned, Perfect Dark used it too, but there was also the Star Wars: Episode I Pod Racing game for the N64 that had an option to use 2 controllers to replicate the dual controls of the Pod Racers
Like I said in that very post, both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had the two-controller scheme. I didn't know that Star Wars game had it because I've never played it, that's interesting. I wonder how it worked? Kind of makes me want to play it out of curiosity.

I know you didn't know about SW using it, which is why i brought it up..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.