Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 424221 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #1500 on: October 11, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »
Rewatch?  You've got to be kidding me!

And if you're right then what happened to KG?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 11, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »

He was the guy that was dropped into the lava after being shot.  That's why know one knew what happened to him since his body was never found since only his killer would have known what happened to him.  Since James is killed without ever telling anybody what he did, it's impossible for the federation to find KG body and so thats why he's considered missing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1502 on: October 11, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
Are we still talking about this game?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 12, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
Why wouldn't we? Some people are still playing it.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 12, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »
Talking about the game in its official thread.  You guys disgust me.  You should be bitching and trolling.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 12, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »

He was the guy that was dropped into the lava after being shot.  That's why know one knew what happened to him since his body was never found since only his killer would have known what happened to him.  Since James is killed without ever telling anybody what he did, it's impossible for the federation to find KG body and so thats why he's considered missing.

That makes sense.  Thanks!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 16, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »
Ok guys please help me out again. I know some of you already told me how but I aint no good at listening. That Tank that is in the same room as Samus's gun ship, how do I get it? I see the flashing locked door. But don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for my nonsense.

Nevermind! I read good ol Mop it up's post regarding it, and realized that bathroom was pretty far away.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:58:37 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 17, 2010, 02:55:04 PM »
Ok guys please help me out again. I know some of you already told me how but I aint no good at listening. That Tank that is in the same room as Samus's gun ship, how do I get it? I see the flashing locked door. But don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for my nonsense.

Nevermind! I read good ol Mop it up's post regarding it, and realized that bathroom was pretty far away.

Yeah, that one took me a while until I noticed steam coming out of a vent.
What stumped me and had me look at a guide was a missile tank behind an observation cell. I didn't notice the control console nearby was missing a side on the back.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 18, 2010, 05:36:01 AM »
YES! Thank God I'm finally past the glitched door after having to start the game over!

You know the really odd thing about that glitch is apparently it is triggered right after you get the Ice Beam, but the problem doesn't actually occur until several hours of gameplay later. So that's kinda odd, but it also sucks if you didn't realize you tripped the glitch, because then you're going to waste hours of your time before you hit a dead end.

I can also understand why so many people have suffered from this glitch, because it occurs at a bad time right after you have to run through a lava map with no Varia suit, so your life gets really drained but then you have to battle a bunch of enemies right that which are impossible to kill until Adam authorizes the Ice Beam, so after all that happens it really takes a toll on your health so it makes sense that players would want to back track to the last save booth so they don't die. Unfortunately, that's the exact cause of the glitch, so you have to go against your instinct and plod on with low health.

But again, I just want to reiterate how weird it is that there is SO MUCH time between when the glitch is triggered and when it actually hits you. I wish Nintendo's quality control caught that before the game was finalized, I'm sure many player's enjoyment of the game was severely impacted by this and with word of mouth and all that it probably does have an impact on the game's sales...
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 18, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
Well if the game sells like crap to begin with, there won't be anyone to warn other people about the glitch, but the other people weren't going to buy it anyway.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 18, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Have they fixed the glitch in new retail copies?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:55:39 PM by Mop it up »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 18, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
New retail copies? Need to clear the old stock before you start replacing it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1512 on: October 18, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
BAZINGA!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: October 18, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
The game's selling on par with other Metroid titles so I'm sure that's happened already.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: October 19, 2010, 02:51:29 AM »
Now I've finally been able to get to the part where Samus runs into Ridley and panics. It is easy for others to criticize her for that, but Ridley is one scary and tough Mofo and I bet anyone here who was in that situation probably would have crapped their Zero Suit. However, Samus is supposed to be a badass herself so that did seem out of character. She's a professional Bounty Hunter, so even though any normal person would scream and panic she was supposed to be above that, and she never did it in any other game, so seeing her do it now just isn't right.

On a more positive note, Samus authorized herself to use the space jump. She should have taken that initiative a long time ago with that and all of her other abilities, especially when common sense called for it. So now it seems like Adam is dead, and with his death comes the freedom for Samus to do her job unabated. I do feel bad about Anthony though...
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: October 19, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
Now I've finally been able to get to the part where Samus runs into Ridley and panics. It is easy for others to criticize her for that, but Ridley is one scary and tough Mofo and I bet anyone here who was in that situation probably would have crapped their Zero Suit.
The main problem with it is that, at that point in the timeline, Samus has already met and defeated Ridley twice (or more?). So even though it might be a little startling because she knows Ridley is a powerful foe, there's no way she should have been anywhere near that scared.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 20, 2010, 06:56:24 AM »
Now I've finally been able to get to the part where Samus runs into Ridley and panics. It is easy for others to criticize her for that, but Ridley is one scary and tough Mofo and I bet anyone here who was in that situation probably would have crapped their Zero Suit.
The main problem with it is that, at that point in the timeline, Samus has already met and defeated Ridley twice (or more?). So even though it might be a little startling because she knows Ridley is a powerful foe, there's no way she should have been anywhere near that scared.

Twice, period. Some Metroid: Other M press release or some such plainly stated that the Prime games belong to a separate continuity. Argh, why can't I find that link.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1517 on: October 20, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »
Even so.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1518 on: October 20, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
I don't think they ever said separate continuity, just separate story arc, one that Sakamoto didn't intend to touch.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »
Here we go:
http://www.world-gaming.com/component/content/article/6-general/1005-the-history-of-the-metroid-franchise-and-samus-aran.html

Metroid Prime Series (in order of in-game timeline):
The Metroid Prime series is a separate collection of games featuring Samus Aran which has a different concept and game design to Metroid games.

Hmm, I guess saying serparate continuity was going too far. Still, a bit of a passive-aggressive move to not acknowledge the Prime games in the proper canon of the series.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 22, 2010, 06:08:26 AM »
I recall there was a discussion much earlier in the thread about how Samus is supposed to be 6'3" yet she seemed shorter than the Space Marines. Well, having beaten the game and viewed all the cutscenes I recall the scenes where Samus is standing next to Madeline Bergman/Melissa and Samus just towers over her. Granted, Samus is in her armor during those cutscenes and that may add some inches to her height, but still her stated height of 6'3" seems reasonable.

However, standing next to Anthony and the other Marines Samus doesn't seem so tall at all, but I guess you could just explain that by the Space Marine being super tall as opposed to Samus not being tall. If Samus is 6'3" then they might be 6'6" or even taller than that, especially so if some sort of bio-engineering on them was involved. The Space Marines might be the NBA of the future.

And later on when she runs into Adam before he goes on his suicide mission there is a cutscene with Samus in only her Zero Suit talking with him for the final time, and she didn't seem very short in comparison to him then. So I don't know what the deal was earlier in the game... and also in the scenes which show very young teeny bopper Samus she is very short. Maybe something happened to her when she got the Chozo suit that also made her height grow as well? Because I don't think an adult grows that much higher after their teenage years, but I'm no expert.

Anyway, it just seems like whoever was involved with making the cutscenes didn't do a very good job of keeping the characters' heights consistent. In some scenes Samus seems like she might be 6'3" like in her bio, but in others she might seem like only 5'3" or something. Its weird...

ETA: But now that I think about it, it might have been done intentionally for artistic purposes. You know how she starts out young and immature but she grows and matures throughout the story? Well, maybe she was made intentionally short to emphasize her childishness in the beginning, but by the end she is more mature and her character's height has grown to match her maturity. Or something like that... I dunno, I'm kinda just running my mouth at this point.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:15:27 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1521 on: October 25, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
I don't think they ever said separate continuity, just separate story arc, one that Sakamoto didn't intend to touch.

I think he still bitter that the most popular games in the series are the ones he had nothing to do with.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 25, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »

I think he still bitter that the most popular games in the series are the ones he had nothing to do with.

Not only that, but the most popular games are the ones made by foreign Western developers working in a genre type that the Japanese don't like.  That must really sting.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Reggie Stumped By Other M Performance
« Reply #1523 on: November 13, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »
Full article here
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14569

"We believe that it could be, should be a million unit title. We're not going to get there, not through the holiday. And we are doing a lot of thinking as to why. Because it's a great game. The consumer reaction because of the quality has been strong. We're doing a lot of thinking about why we didn't get there. I think the marketing was strong, advertising was very good, the social media we did was very positive. It's getting close to half a million."

"First off, I have nothing but the greatest respect for the development team. Mr. Sakamoto did a wonderful job. His partnership with us in promoting the game was stellar. Team Ninja is absolutely fabulous. I'm not going to sit here and criticize a style of the game, but have I read the same feedback that said, broadly, that the portrayal of Samus felt different than how the player in the past had internalized the character? I've heard and read the same feedback. Do I think it's warranted or not? I'm not quite sure yet... I don't yet believe that that is the driving factor to the performance of the game."

I really like the step that Metroid took as far as how the game itself works and controls. I hope it's not the last we see of it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: November 13, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
Why? Here's why: You ripped out what makes it Metroid and filled the gap with one of the worst stories gaming has suffered from lately.