Author Topic: WiiSports Resort - Welcome to Wuhu Island *July 09*  (Read 89229 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
WiiSports Resort - Welcome to Wuhu Island *July 09*
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:29:47 AM »
Official Thread for WiiSports Resort Discussion

The Latest Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5O9J3hT9Qg

FEATURES:
• Wuhu Island has so many things to do, there’s never a dull moment. A dozen activities await visitors: Archery,
Frisbee®, Basketball, Cycling, Canoeing, Power Cruising, Table Tennis, Air Sports, Bowling, Swordplay, Golf
and Wakeboarding.
• The activities use the precision controls of the Wii MotionPlus accessory to help players come much closer to
the physical reality of engaging in the actual sports. Every real-world action, whether it’s a perfect drive on the
fairway or a slice off the course, is meant to be faithfully replicated.
• Each activity has multiple fun challenges designed to keep visitors coming back for more. Basketball players
might compete in a three-point shootout or jump into a three-on-three pickup game. Archery enthusiasts must
aim for the bull’s-eye across ever-increasing distances and obstacles.
• Different activities use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk™ controllers in different ways. For example, players hold
the Wii Remote like a paddle in Canoeing, while in Cycling they use both arms to “pedal” with the two
controllers. The Wii MotionPlus accessory picks up every nuance of motion and translates it onto the TV screen.
• Depending on the activity, players can compete solo or against other players. Some activities even let players
team up to work cooperatively.

*Release Date - July 26, 2009*
*Price - $49.99 w/ MotionPlus bundled in*

-=Screenshots=-

A nice series of videos that demonstrate how to do each of the 12 activities on Wuhu Island

-=How To Videos=-
Sky Dive/Airplane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcakia_a2ZQ&feature=related
Wake Boarding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE-KvSk5oo8&feature=related
Kendo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSW5CdnrL4&feature=related
Ping Pong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-AAUaG0i0&feature=related
Golf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atRQVzjpjr4&feature=related
Jet Ski: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPGubVRlnzM&feature=related
Frisbee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVW1I76il_U&feature=related
Cycling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ljgeRNPC0&feature=related
Canoeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oepV06K90dw&feature=related
Bowling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlIAxraq58c&feature=related
Basketball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xu8NZCWExo&feature=related
Archery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PncQsnunK7c&feature=related

-=Challenge Trailers=-
Table Tennis: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/table-tennis-wii-sports/52964
Sword Play: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/swordplay-challenge-wii-sports/52963
Canoeing: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/canoeing-challenge-wii-sports/52962
Archery: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/archery-challenge-wii-sports/52961

-=NWR Links=-
NWR Trailer, NWR Preview, NWR Gameplay & NY Launch Party Videos

NWR Impressions: Halbred, Skeeter, Crimm, nron10, NewsBot

WiiSports Resort - The Unboxing

NWR Review - 8.0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:19:44 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: WiiSports Resort coming in June-JPN July-USA/EUR/AUS
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:37:06 AM »
Well this is nice to hear.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:39:38 AM »
I guess it should be just in time for Grand Slam Tennis & Tiger Woods 2010.
So hopefully there won't be any shortages on the M+ for bundles of WSR & GST

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 02:42:14 AM »
Hmm what are all of the Motion+ titles so far confirmed?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:49:07 AM »
Hmm what are all of the Motion+ titles so far confirmed?

Tiger Woods 2010
Grand Slam Tennis
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:58:11 AM »
Doesn't Red Steel 2 have it.As well as Virtua Tennis 2009?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:22 AM »
Doesn't Red Steel 2 have it.As well as Virtua Tennis 2009?

Those haven't been 100% confirmed.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 03:07:41 AM »
Wasn't Dead Space Extraction possibly going to have it? Can't think of any other titles.

Nice to finally get something concrete from Nintendo regarding this. I'm curious if any of their Fall/holiday titles will be supporting the peripheral.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 03:10:57 AM »
Wasn't Dead Space Extraction possibly going to have it? Can't think of any other titles.

Nice to finally get something concrete from Nintendo regarding this. I'm curious if any of their Fall/holiday titles will be supporting the peripheral.

Dead Space WAS said to used Motion Plus, but then IGN came out and said that it was a mistake.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 03:13:42 AM »
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Pap. Though that doesn't rule out the possibility of the dev team deciding to add it before the game is finished.
My Game Collection

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:16:11 AM »
Condum unit was supposed to have it too... Everyone hates M+
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 04:21:29 AM »

It was never 100% promised. They said they would try and implement it and after some experimenting they decided it would not be a good fit for their game. They chose to NOT shoehorn one of the Wii's new exotic functions into a game. Imagine that, developers have gone crazy with these sane thoughts!  :D
My Game Collection

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04:53 PM »

Clever.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »

Clever.

It was my best impression of you I could do. It could have been better.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
It's good enough that I shall ADOPT IT.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
CONDOM DO IT is better.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »
disagreeing with vudu here
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:19:02 PM »
Too many D's, vudu

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »
I actually did a double take because I thought it was Daisy's number 1 fan at first who typed it since it sounded so much like what he'd say.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
I love Pro... But hate imitators. There can only be ONE Daisy fan.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
WiiSports Resort - Welcome to Wuhu Island
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »
The Latest Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5O9J3hT9Qg

FEATURES:
• Wuhu Island has so many things to do, there’s never a dull moment. A dozen activities await visitors: Archery,
Frisbee®, Basketball, Cycling, Canoeing, Power Cruising, Table Tennis, Air Sports, Bowling, Swordplay, Golf
and Wakeboarding.
• The activities use the precision controls of the Wii MotionPlus accessory to help players come much closer to
the physical reality of engaging in the actual sports. Every real-world action, whether it’s a perfect drive on the
fairway or a slice off the course, is meant to be faithfully replicated.
• Each activity has multiple fun challenges designed to keep visitors coming back for more. Basketball players
might compete in a three-point shootout or jump into a three-on-three pickup game. Archery enthusiasts must
aim for the bull’s-eye across ever-increasing distances and obstacles.
• Different activities use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk™ controllers in different ways. For example, players hold
the Wii Remote like a paddle in Canoeing, while in Cycling they use both arms to “pedal” with the two
controllers. The Wii MotionPlus accessory picks up every nuance of motion and translates it onto the TV screen.
• Depending on the activity, players can compete solo or against other players. Some activities even let players
team up to work cooperatively.

Quote from: N-Sider Impressions
As Miyamoto (translatedly) put it during our Tuesday evening roundtable, Wii Sports Resort isn't just Wii Sports 2—it's an expanded vision for the game, so fleshed out and complete that it will likely totally replace the original on your shelf.

Resort (or at least the near-final-looking build they have playable on the floor) contains twelve "sports," with each one containing a variety of events. For instance, the Swordplay category contains "Duel," which is your traditional one-on-one faceoff, "Speed Slash," (or something with that approximate title forgive me I forgot), which is a one-on-one activity that pits you against a mystery referee who tosses objects into the air, whereupon landing in front of you are marked with a slash direction that you must perform faster than your opponent. The final Swordplay event is "Showdown," which involves you taking on a gauntlet of cronies with swords. And that's just one event! If the trend is any indication we can expect at least thirty-six separate events. Several of which improve upon original Wii Sports titles: the new MotionPlus versions of Bowling and Golf offer vastly more control and precision than their prototypical counterparts.

Archery feels more than natural, with the player holding the Remote in their off-hand and pulling back the Nunchuk with their primary hand. Buttons are used to approximate gripping, pinching, and releasing the arrows, and every twitch and movement of the bow is reflected on-screen. Basketball is (seemingly) pretty difficult—I observed our site manager Cory face off against former EGM writer Dan Hsu, with both of them slugging it out in a three-point contest that ended breathlessly at the score of four buckets to three (go us). The flick of the wrist at the top of the arc along with the release of the B button to let go of the ball both seem to be sticking points, with mysterious intangible factors like the speed of the shot and the angle of the release playing major roles. Mr. Hsu let go shallow and his shots flew with less arc than Mr. Faller's, doinking off the front of the rim or convincingly bricking against the back, while particularly rain-making shots floated up and off the top of the screen before dropping back down.

The descriptions could continue forever: the swordplay feels like you always imagined it should, with enemies waving their weapons around in front of them waiting for a chance to strike. At one point I raised the Remote above my head samurai-style which caused the enemy to do the same—from there it was a quick descending cross-slash to the midsection that dropped him with satisfaction. Table Tennis follows in turn, with very accurate spin and slice, while the Air Sports airplane tour of the island feels just like it did at E3 2006. In general, it's just all more solid, and the little quirks that came about from the Remote not knowing exactly where the thing was moving, but just that it was, seem to have been excised.

To again reference Mr. Miyamoto's own comments on the game, one thing he said he disliked about the original Wii Sports was that you couldn't really "improve your skills" beyond a particular point that was imposed by the limits of the hardware—the (my terminology) "fudge factor" of the imprecision of the Remote. This game appears to rectify that in spades by requiring the MotionPlus, such to the extent that professional athletes that played the game were noted to claim "it's more realistic than what we do in real life!" Bold and a bit hyperbolistic of course, but certainly more accurate now than with Sports.

In addition to the myriad sports and events, Wii Sports Resort also includes 100 different "stamps" to collect throughout all the events which reward not necessarily "better" performance, but are meant to encourage new ways of playing, according to Miyamoto. This writer imagines events where you might be tasked with hitting Showdown enemies only in the legs, or an archery event where you need to target items in the background (this was confirmed in some minor conversations with a booth attendant who pointed out that "bonus objects" might occasionally pop up in the scenery).

Packed with a MotionPlus and retailing for $49.99, Resort makes the original Wii Sports frankly look like a tech demo, with every event save for baseball and boxing being somehow represented far more completely in the new iteration. Add in the island, which lends the game a sense of cohesion, the 100 stamps, the dozens of events, and the variety of solo and multiplayer options, along with the depth of precision and skill that is now possible to build in order to tangibly improve your abilities at the games, and you have a total package that is far more enticing this year than it was at last year's E3. The extra time has done it well, which means the wait until late July will be particularly protracted. Prepare your frisbee arms—this is one for the library.
http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=3902&from=spill#fromspill

This game is obviously one of the games at the top of my list. With enhanced and superior versions of both Bowling & Golf, while Tennis has been replaced with a tabletop version.

What I'm really hoping is that Nintendo will start doing DLC with this game utilizing its new expanded storage solution and release updated versions of both Boxing (dual wiimote w/ M+) & Baseball (M+ pitching) at a later date.

Releasing the DLC could also be a way to get people to register their games now so that they can access the extra content. And also encourage new users to get online, which will open them up to the WiiShop.

And is anybody expecting Nintendo to put this game as a pack-in to replace WiiSports? If they do the DLC thing that I just mentioned, I think it would be the perfect game to replace WiiSports with since you would still be able to play all the old games (maybe make regular tennis a bonus under the table version).

edit: also here is a gameplay video from the sword part of the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wa20-ZN6Ac
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:07:45 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: WiiSports Resort - Welcome to Wuhu Island *July 09*
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »
I am fascinated that Miyamoto really likes Wuhu Island and wants to make it a character in multiple games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm sure it will be a central Mii island for Mii focused games and will probably be referenced in other games.

e.g. Link trying to get into special shop in town but the sign on the door reads "Store Closed: Picking up supplies on Wuhu island, be back tomorow"

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
I know where I will want to go on vacation:

http://kotaku.com/5276497/liveblogging-shigeru-miyamotos-developer-round-table (read mark 7:52)

For the lazy: "If all goes well we might buy ourselves a little island in the south pacific and create our own woohoo island" - Miyamoto

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
I am really looking forward to this game. Especially since Miyamoto basically said its a testing ground for the new Zelda saying think of the sword fighting and archery in it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:32:48 AM by kraken613 »
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf