Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 198230 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:27 AM »
I don't know about anyone else but I'm intrigued by any game which attempts 3D on the Super NES.

Wearing 3D glasses while playing a game is SOOOO cool. If you get the right deal on ebay you may get its amazing paper 3D glasses!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2009, 04:46:47 AM »
It's THAT kind of 3D? That's just stupid. I thought it was more like Starfox and Stunt Race and stuff.
I also checked some reviews of it on GameFAQs and they all say it is really difficult, so I think I'll pass.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »
Say, Jonny, how do you plan to do the GameBoy? Will there be three polls? One for Classic Brick, one for Color and one for Advance?

I'd also like to nominate Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons. I don't care which we do, personally. I just feel they were a bit overlooked and forgotten in transition from GBC to GBA and it would be fun to talk about the code connection between them and the mythical 3rd game that turned into the GBA remake of Link to the Past. It would also be a good forum to discuss handheld Zeldas in general and the evolution of them. Also their infuence from and on their console bretheren.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
The game for the original Game Boy RetroActive should be FaceBall 2000. A 3D game on the Game Boy? Now that was something.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
Though, honestly, I'm probably going to push for Metroid 2 since I got that specifically for this feature a while ago and have been saving it.

That;s one of the reasons I'm hoping Brick and Color are separate polls. I'll push Metroid for Brick and Ages/Seasons for Color.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:16 PM »
I don't think I can back you up on Metroid 2 since I don't support games which are boring.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »
I don't think I can back you up on Metroid 2 since I don't support games which are boring.

:P
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2009, 12:26:50 AM »
I'll second the Oracle of Ages/Seasons.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »
I'd like to nominate Prince of Persia:  Two Thrones / Rival Swords.

I think most of us have played the excellent Sands of Time, but after the horrible sequel, a lot of us skipped out on the third game.  It's *almost* as good as the original (from what I hear) so I'd be interested in checking it out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2009, 12:16:41 PM »

I think most of us have played the excellent Sands of Time, but after the horrible sequel, a lot of us skipped out on the third game.  It's *almost* as good as the original (from what I hear) so I'd be interested in checking it out.

I'll second that. I loved it. Not as much as the first, but I feel it righted all the wrongs the second one made. And the insta-kills are sweet. I don't think I even scratched the surface of those. Supposedly every standard enemy can be insta-killed if you do it right.

Would that one be on the GC poll, do you think?
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »

I'll second that. I loved it. Not as much as the first, but I feel it righted all the wrongs the second one made. And the insta-kills are sweet. I don't think I even scratched the surface of those. Supposedly every standard enemy can be insta-killed if you do it right.

Would that one be on the GC poll, do you think?

Considering that the GC version is definitely the superior game between the two versions and is cheaper, I can't imagine the RFN crew covering Two Thrones as a Wii game.  If we're going to do another GC RetroActive, I could definitely go for Two Thrones, as it's my favorite of the Sands of Time games (though I actually like them all, even the second one when it isn't glitching and playing Godsmack).  What can I say?  I love the Speed Kill system, as it finally incorporated the Prince's platforming and combat halves (which until 2 Thrones were game designs on opposing sides of a grid-iron fence) in satisfying harmony.  While I liked the idea of the Dark Prince, though, I never did like playing as him despite some very interesting platforming sections with him.

And yes, if we're doing a GBC poll in the future, definitely a vote for the Oracle games (primarily Ages).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »
Were there cut scenes removed from the GC version? I remember seeing some videos I never saw on the game.

What about the Wii version made it worse (not counting the motion controls)?
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »
Were there cut scenes removed from the GC version? I remember seeing some videos I never saw on the game.

What about the Wii version made it worse (not counting the motion controls)?

If I remember correctly, they removed blood from the human enemies when you killed them at the beginning of the game, replacing it with "sand" ala the later enemies in the game...which makes no sense since the Sands of Time hadn't been released yet.  This was so they could get a lower rating from the ESRB.  And yeah, I consider not having to use motion controls (especially from the early days of Wii) to be a serious point in the GC version's favor.  As for cutscenes being removed for the GC version, I think they removed some Behind the Scenes videos or something extra like that from the GC version because they couldn't get them to fit on one disc.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
I wasn't saying the motion controls were good. I just already knew those were bad and wanted to know what else was bad about it.

I was specifically wondering about the CG scenes because I remember a trailer that showed the Prince finding Farrah unconcious for the first time and asking "Do you remember me?" as he turned into the Dark Prince. Farrah awoke and sprung back drawing he bow and releasing. Then the video cuts back. I never saw that scene in the Wii game.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »
I wasn't saying the motion controls were good. I just already knew those were bad and wanted to know what else was bad about it.

I was specifically wondering about the CG scenes because I remember a trailer that showed the Prince finding Farrah unconcious for the first time and asking "Do you remember me?" as he turned into the Dark Prince. Farrah awoke and sprung back drawing he bow and releasing. Then the video cuts back. I never saw that scene in the Wii game.

Yeah, I don't remember that cutscene from the GC version.  It's probably just a pre-release teaser, just as Warrior Within had a pre-release trailer that showed Farah dead and the Prince ripping her medallion from her neck and facing down a room-full of enemy soldiers.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »
I'm never going to get to play the RetroActive with suggestions like these. Either I need to open my mind or you all need to get better taste in games. I'm pushing for the latter.

If I remember correctly, they removed blood from the human enemies when you killed them at the beginning of the game, replacing it with "sand" ala the later enemies in the game...
Sounds to me like a reason to get the Wii version.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »

Yeah, I don't remember that cutscene from the GC version.  It's probably just a pre-release teaser, just as Warrior Within had a pre-release trailer that showed Farah dead and the Prince ripping her medallion from her neck and facing down a room-full of enemy soldiers.

I remember that one too. I never finished Warrior Within though so I never thought much of it assuming it was a flashback or something.

I've been meaning to try and go through the whole trilogy at some point. Partly to finish WW and also because I like the first and third a lot. But every time I go back to WW I get frustrated and stop. I never could grasp the fight mechanics and would randomly launch myself off of objects and enemies into pits. :P

My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2009, 01:49:28 PM »

I remember that one too. I never finished Warrior Within though so I never thought much of it assuming it was a flashback or something.

I've been meaning to try and go through the whole trilogy at some point. Partly to finish WW and also because I like the first and third a lot. But every time I go back to WW I get frustrated and stop. I never could grasp the fight mechanics and would randomly launch myself off of objects and enemies into pits. :P

Let's just say that Warrior Within gets tremendously better after you dispose of the lady in the metal dominatrix outfit and the actual story starts to seep in.  I could do without the insanely hard boss fight(s) against the Empress of Time that followed her, though.  I had to laugh in Two Thrones when they come right out and make fun of the boss fight difficulty in Warrior Within with the brothals boss, which starts out as a Warrior Within-type boss and then suddenly morphs into something pathetically easier.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
Yeah, I got to the point where she gives you the crooked sword my first time through. But I fell off the game and when I went back many times much later I've never been able to get to that fight with her (I'm assuming you mean the frirst fight with her where you save the other gal).

I know all of the story there, though, as I watched a friend beat most of the later game.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »
I'm never going to get to play the RetroActive with suggestions like these. Either I need to open my mind or you all need to get better taste in games. I'm pushing for the latter.

The whole point of RetroActive is to play games you missed the first time around.  This is the perfect opportunity for you to try something you wouldn't otherwise play.  Although, if you haven't even played Sands of Time, I'd highly recommend trying that one out ASAP.

Sounds to me like a reason to get the Wii version.

From what I understand, the games are pretty close so you can play either one.  I don't think the platform matters so much.  You could even play PS2 or Xbox version if you wanted to.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2009, 02:36:54 PM »
The whole point of RetroActive is to play games you missed the first time around.  This is the perfect opportunity for you to try something you wouldn't otherwise play.  Although, if you haven't even played Sands of Time, I'd highly recommend trying that one out ASAP.

I agree. Dynamite Headdy was fun and it's been nice to hear about and play games you have missed or otherwise would not have played. In fact, I'm glad we switched to this system polling structure for now because then we are more likely to play a game some people have missed; especially on the non-Nintendo platforms. How likely do you think any of the three big TurboGraphics titles this last poll would have stood chance of winning against some of the NES/SNES or other classics?

@Mop it up
Sands of Time was truly a great game. I really do recommend trying it. Quite beautiful, really.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »
@Mop it up
Sands of Time was truly a great game. I really do recommend trying it. Quite beautiful, really.

Indeed, I recommend Sands as well if you haven't gotten into the Sands of Time trilogy before, though I think Sands of Time is more than a little overrated (the combat system is pretty terrible and badly integrated with the platforming).  Oddly enough, though, is it just me or did the Sands of Time games get uglier from each game to the next?  I don't know if it's because they went nuts with the bloom lighting for Sands and didn't use it at all for the other two games, but Warrior Within and Two Thrones always look ugly and dark on my TV (and nothing at all like the screenshots you can find online).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:42:26 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »
I think it had to do with the slight shift in their art design. Remember they were trying to be all cool and hip with WW so they made it darker, grittier and more realistic. The first was brighter and looked a bit more fantastical. Take Farrah for example: She was smoother and softer in Sands, while in Thrones she was darker and edgier.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »
The whole point of RetroActive is to play games you missed the first time around. 
I thought the point of the RetroActive was to discuss how classic games impacted the evolution of gaming?

I don't think the Prince of Persia games would be my thing with how violent, dark, and difficult they sound.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »
Trust us when we say the first is different from the others. It is rated Teen. There is no blood (maybe some cuts and scars on the Prince) and the enemies spurt out sand instead.

The series took a much darker turn with Warrior Within.

Try it. It is different and it is superior for being different.
My Game Collection