Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 198247 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
Correct. I've played the first SNES one (which is on VC) and the N64 one, and couldn't get into either one.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
I tried Ogre Battle 64 once but I didn't get past the tutorial. It was pretty boring.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2009, 11:30:38 PM »
I tried Ogre Battle 64 once but I didn't get past the tutorial. It was pretty boring.

If you had kept at it, you'd have found that the game pretty dramatically improves after a few misisons when you start getting to customize your characters' classes and recruit new ones.  Seriously, Ogre Battle on the SNES is a tragic mess but Ogre Battle 64 is nearly perfect outside some ugly mission maps and really slow unit movement on those maps (which can be improved with an in-game speed meter but not entirely mitigated).  The story is also very well-done.  Heh, I was just listening to an old RPGamer podcast about the Ogre Battle franchise, and it's really gotten me in the mood to dig out my N64 and OB64 for the first time since I got my GameCube all those years ago.  Don't see that happening, though...I really don't want to see what an N64 on composite video looks like on my HD TV.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2009, 11:35:15 PM »
I've never really been into RPGs, only a few have managed to captivate me and these are usually ones which have something special. I'll probably give Ogre Battle 64 another shot just because it's a Nintendo 64 game, but menu-based battle systems have always bored me. I just dredge through them to get to the good parts of the game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2009, 11:37:20 PM »
I've never really been into RPGs, only a few have managed to captivate me and these are usually ones which have something special. I'll probably give Ogre Battle 64 another shot just because it's a Nintendo 64 game, but menu-based battle systems have always bored me. I just dredge through them to get to the good parts of the game.

Most of Ogre Battle 64 is setting your units up and telling them where to go.  You rarely ever use a menu inside the battles unless you want your characters to change targets or use an Elem Pedra.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2009, 11:39:55 PM »
Commands, menus, what's the difference? You still don't directly control them, you just watch the battle play out and that's boring.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »
Commands, menus, what's the difference? You still don't directly control them, you just watch the battle play out and that's boring.

I guess that just depends on the person.  I rather enjoy setting my units up and watching them kick ass knowing that they do so because I made the right decisions when I structured the unit; equipped the characters; and positioned them on the battlefield.  It's definitely not for everyone, but I find it very rewarding.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
Ogre Battle has too much micro-management for me. Combat success is all about your preparation; tactics matter little, if at all. It's just not for me.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »
Ogre Battle has too much micro-management for me. Combat success is all about your preparation; tactics matter little, if at all. It's just not for me.

Tactics do matter though. Some units are better suited for fighting other ones. Also, oftentimes you have to tell them to attack a special unit in a company to get anywhere. Like if the leader is the healer and keeps undoing your damage. Also, attacking and swiftly killing a leader causes the enemy company to flee and frees you to deal with other units.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2009, 11:15:34 PM »

Tactics do matter though. Some units are better suited for fighting other ones. Also, oftentimes you have to tell them to attack a special unit in a company to get anywhere. Like if the leader is the healer and keeps undoing your damage. Also, attacking and swiftly killing a leader causes the enemy company to flee and frees you to deal with other units.
Indeed, but just to add to that there's also the battlefield tactics.  It's just as important how you engage an enemy as what you do in them, because if you attack from angles other than the front you also mess with the enemy unit formations to make them dramatically less effective in combat.  Likewise, it's very important to know when to press your units forward; when to hold their position; and when to fall back to an occupied city for healing/resurrecting/shopping.  It's not for everyone, but just because you can't control your units directly in combat that does not mean that tactics are unimportant and can be ignored.

Personally, I find the direct-unit control tactics games to be utterly boring unless they really do something special, especially since the Tactics Ogre design is used in practically every tactical game since.  Doesn't mean there aren't merits to them, though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:18:50 PM by broodwars »

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2009, 12:03:54 AM »
I'd like to see an iconic SNES platformer in the mix this time. I'd say the first DKC is very bland compared to DKC2, so I'd be up for the latter. I definitely would enjoy discussion about how the level design has held up over the years. As hokey as it might sound, Super Mario World (SNES, GBA, VC) or Yoshi's Island (SNES, GBA) would be a good choice for talking about its legacy/influence.

More offbeat games....Kirby's Dream Course (SNES, VC) is very different from what we've played for RetroActive so far. It has a more laid-back, puzzle single-player mode and a really fun two-player Vs. mode.

As far as cartridges go, I'd be for Illusion of Gaia (~$10). I'd love to play Sparkster, but it's just too darn expensive. Konami needs to release that one on VC. :(
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2009, 04:34:29 AM »
Ok I'm going to throw it out there, I think Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time should be put into consideration. It will be an interesting contrast to Ninja Spirit, and really the game is considered one of the best brawlers ever with fun visuals, interesting boss battles and diverse locations. It should be pretty easy to get.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2009, 04:36:57 AM »
Is that the one on VC? I remember playing one of the Turtle games back in the day and having a blast with it but it was hard. My friend had it and we couldn't beat it together.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2009, 02:01:31 PM »
Is that the one on VC? I remember playing one of the Turtle games back in the day and having a blast with it but it was hard. My friend had it and we couldn't beat it together.

No, as the unquestionably best Ninja Turtles game it certainly should be on the VC, but instead we have the crappy first game.  The only way right now that the RFN crew is going to be able to cover the game is to cover the upcoming Xbox 360/PS3 quasi-3D remake of it.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »
Kirby's Dream Course would be an amazing choice TYP. I love that game so much. I think Chessa may love it even more than myself.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »

No, as the unquestionably best Ninja Turtles game it certainly should be on the VC, but instead we have the crappy first game.  The only way right now that the RFN crew is going to be able to cover the game is to cover the upcoming Xbox 360/PS3 quasi-3D remake of it.

I thought they also said it was coming to Wii? Or was that changed recently?
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »

I thought they also said it was coming to Wii? Or was that changed recently?

Ubisoft is welcome to take my Wii points whenever they deign to put Turtles in Time (SNES) on the VC, but I've yet to hear any official confirmation of this.  And there's been no word of the remake coming to WiiWare that I'm aware of, either.  They've probably have to mess with the Wii port a little, though, because we all know "the Wii can't handle true online multiplayer support" (TM).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:52:09 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2009, 07:08:48 PM »
Even Miyamoto can be quoted on that one now. I still can't believe he said that.
My Game Collection

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen...please
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:19 AM »

Pretty please? I already own it so money won't be an issue.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2009, 03:20:28 AM »

Pretty please? I already own it so money won't be an issue.

I get the feeling that listening to an RFN RetroActive on that game would be like the one for Super Ghouls & Ghosts: you'd get a couple people who said they kind of liked it, and then one guy comes in and just blasts the hell out of it (in this game probably being Johnny).  Besides, if we're going to cover an Ogre here, it's a disservice to do the lousy original game (which I only bought to encourage Square to make the effort to bring OB64 over here...strike a deal with Atlus or something!).  I'd rather save the Ogre Battle goodwill (or what's left of it) for covering the immensely-superior Ogre Battle 64 if it ever made its way over here.  Hell, with all the grid-based tactical strategy game nuts on this podcast (Johnny, James, Greg), I'd even settle for them taking on Tactics Ogre if it made it over, despite me personally not like the game all that much.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:22:14 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2009, 03:22:24 AM »
I bought it to encourage the N64 one as well. And I had also hoped for more of the same on an SNES scale. Guess I got the SNES scale like I wanted...
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2009, 03:22:34 AM »
Don't pick a game that's boring and expensive!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2009, 04:25:09 AM »
Jim Power: Lost Dimension in 3D. Everyone should play this game at least once. And it is like $3 on eBay. It is so horrifically corny and bad it is fun. I guarantee it is a more compelling experience then ninja spirit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:27:26 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2009, 04:35:30 AM »
I don't know about anyone else but I'm intrigued by any game which attempts 3D on the Super NES.