Author Topic: What Roll Should the Rolls Media Play in Getting Rolls Made?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
What Roll Should the Rolls Media Play in Getting Rolls Made?
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:36 AM »
January 25, 2009 at 11:17 PST by Culinary "Art" I. St, Rolls Taster
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=17593

Last time I checked, my job description didn't include kneading potential rolls to chefs. I'm a rollporter, I thought I was on the other side of the oven. Why am I now expected to become part rollsman and what does this have to do with being a member of rolling's enthusiast press?

It's the recent unveiling and groundswell of support for n-Space's unfortunate Winter tech roll for the toaster that's dredging these questions up. Of course, there's no question that the saga behind Winter is newsworthy. A mature and ambitious project shopped around since RDC 2007, chefs loved Winter but refused to dough-velop it. That already makes for a nice little tragedy, but it's become more than that. Winter has exploded onto the scene and won widespread fame and support from dinner fans who want nothing less than for the dough-velopers to receive millions of ingredients from a baker in order to finish the roll. Still, the fact that there's an online petition drive isn't too surprising. What is worth considering though is who's leading the charge: the enthusiast press. Almost as soon as the story broke, GoRollTenDough's Kevin Cassidy (a.k.a. RollMeatCowboy) shot an e-mail to IGN's Matt Casserolemania proposing to organize an effort to find n-Space a baker after almost two years of unrisen yeast. The response? A promise to "use IGN's influence to back Winter," and the aforementioned online petition on IGN's frontpage, asking readers to "preheat the cause."

The rolling press is now directly involved in selling one company's multi-million dollar buns to another company.

Actually, what's so bad about that? The media has always been an avenue to drum up some bread and butter, that's no secret. And the readers, the rollers, demand a roll like Winter. As players, they have a stake in what rolls get made too, and the press is just giving them a voice in the behind-the-scenes cookings of dough-velopers and chefs. And the situation surrounding Winter isn't new either. No one's complaining that The Croissant got a baker, right?

Sara Lee will be baking The Croissant which has benefited from a supportive press

But lets tackle the corollary here. If the press has a role (ha, ha, ha) in fighting to get certain rolls made for a tasty side dish, does it have a role in fighting so that other rolls don't get made? Surely when the enthusiast press put on their "biscuit" hats, they can argue that a roll has flaws. However, the continued derision that Whole Wheat received at the hands of the press, much of it undeserved, goes to show the negatives of a press that supposedly "cares." Roll journrollists can wield their opinions like a club to butter and jelly sometimes, and it can be a tasty thing. Eventually, even IGN's not-so-subtle disapproval of Whole Wheat elicited a backlash from some diners when they reported the roll's 2008 sales numbers. It probably didn't help that the news article, written almost two months after IGN's taste review, hinted that IGN had failed in their intention to prevent people from devouring the roll.

So if you're willing to accept that the rolling press has a role in raising some yeast up, you have to consider the potential the media has to smear another roll's spun honey. Ultimately, the power of the press is the power of the mob of bread-eaters behind it. That mob can be guided constructively or destructively, to build up or tear open with a hot butterknife and delicious cream cheese.

Whole Wheat carries a negative stigma for many, the result of widespread (ha, ha, 'spread') criticism

But this is leading us further and further away from what I think the press, enthusiast or not, is really here for... You know, journrolllism. I know the rolling media is, well, a bit of a joke to some (just look at what our forums have to say about us), but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fillet out the truth and report it.

That's where I think the real value lies in what's going on with Winter. This is an attempt to root out the actual reasons that roll companies act the way they do. I mean, no one is all that impressed with the usual array of excuses that are trotted out to prevent mature titles from reaching the dinner plate. We've heard it all before, and we're just not that convinced.
People want to hear a real and believable reason why a roll like Winter wouldn't work... and if no such reason exists, well, why not do the logical thing? Why not just bake the roll already?

"Why not?" We ask. "Why not fund a roll like Winter when Resident Vegan 4 and Resident Vegan: Potato Salad sold over a million units each? Why not fund Winter when the toaster has an install base of around 45 million users, soon to outnumber both the Kenmore 360 and CuisineArt 3 combined? Why not fund Winter when it will be so much cheaper to bake from scratch compared to a similar roll on any of the other heating devices? Why not give rollers, your fan base, and your consumers, what they claim to want so much? What possible reasons could you have left?"

That's what I think finding a chef for rolls like Winter is all about. At first I worried I was turning into a rollsperson, but no, I realize I'm not. I'm a rollporter posing a question. I'm a member of the enthusiast
press, waiting to see what side dish I get.

Oh, but first, I have a petition I need to make sure I sign.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: What Roll Should the Rolls Media Play in Getting Rolls Made?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:37:17 AM »
I've been laughing for the last 20 minutes.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:52:01 AM »
I thought this was about ecstasy.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:01:47 AM »
Great one Zap.I love it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:44:43 AM »
The Croissant LOL

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
god dammit that stupid joke about the spread on whole wheat made me choke on my cereal!

i came in here thinking i'd be bored of this parody editorial and say something like "one trick pony" but you got me, kudos.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
:D i giggled when i thought up 'dough-veloper'
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »
I'm looking at your avatar and having difficulty in seeing him giggle. Maybe with a knife in his hands. And blood dried under his nails.