Author Topic: Why is nobody talking about the Olympics ?  (Read 11483 times)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
Re: Why is nobody talking about the Olympics ?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 08:40:11 PM »
Same goes for Tennis, which is essentially international.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »
Same goes for Tennis, which is completely international.

Fixed.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 02:52:54 AM »
World Cup >>>>>>>>>>>> Olympics.

The problem with that, though, is that soccer is the most boring thing in the world. I saw the 20 km Speedwalking in the Olympics earlier and that to me is 10 times more interesting than soccer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 09:49:35 AM »

The problem with that, though, is that soccer is the most boring thing in the world. I saw the 20 km Speedwalking in the Olympics earlier and that to me is 10 times more interesting than soccer.

Wow i thought this train of thought had died. Everytime a soccer match was on at work, everyone would gather around the tv when normally i'm not used to seeng anyone but my family/close friends of family. (rooting for Ecuador, Peru or Mexico)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 01:32:47 PM »
Mexico is a good team. It's Germany and Argentina for me.

And good lord! Speed walking?! Speed walking is more interesting?! I respect everyone's opinion, but if there was some way to find where you live, I take a dump on your windshield because you took a dump on my soul.

It's only fair.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
The only reason I find Speedwalking so interesting is because I find it so hilarious that it's an Olympic sport. If not for that soccer would be more interesting, though I still can't stand watching it.

If it makes you feel any better I know what it feels like to have people mock a sport that I love, I'm a hockey fan.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:56:07 PM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »

90,000 people in Wembley Stadium would like to disagree.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »
Are you saying that might makes right?

....when did you become an American?
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
SMUG ALERT

WEEE WOOO WEEE WOOO
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »

90,000 people in Wembley Stadium would like to disagree.

Yeah, well 110,000 people in Beaver Stadium say American football is way better.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
I don't watch b/c I'm sick of hearing about Michael Phelps.  A damn good swimmer he is, but he certainly takes the cake for most over rated modern athlete of our time.  What other olympian or professional athletes have the chance to win roughly the same event over and over?  On top of that, he was scared to enter the event of all swimming events.  The 100m freestyle.  Why?  Too slow.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »
I don't watch b/c I'm sick of hearing about Michael Phelps.  A damn good swimmer he is, but he certainly takes the cake for most over rated modern athlete of our time.  What other olympian or professional athletes have the chance to win roughly the same event over and over?  On top of that, he was scared to enter the event of all swimming events.  The 100m freestyle.  Why?  Too slow.

So you don't think that Jamaican guy should be praised like he is because he won two golds in events that are "roughly the same".

J.P. Corbran

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 04:45:07 PM »

Phelps seems to come across as really cocky and I'm beginning to not be able to stand him. The events I like at the olympics are the gymastics (all the different kinds) and pole vaulting among a couple of other things.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 04:51:04 PM »
usa is a better country then america, i think for the last 8 years the country has been called america rather than the usa...kinda strange phenomenom
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 05:03:58 PM »

Phelps seems to come across as really cocky and I'm beginning to not be able to stand him. The events I like at the olympics are the gymastics (all the different kinds) and pole vaulting among a couple of other things.

He hasn't been that cocky from what I've seen, though I haven't seen many interviews. Even if he is I can't really blame him, if I had the most gold medals in a single Olympics and had obliterated the record for most gold medals in a career I'd be pretty damn cocky about it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 06:38:31 PM »

Exactly the opposite!  I'm VERY impressed by Bolt.  He won the all out sprint, AND an endurance like sprint.  Phelps can not win the sprint, he doesn't even come close.  On top of that, I think you can make a pretty good case that around the globe, there is more competition for the 100 meter dash than any swimming event.

So you don't think that Jamaican guy should be praised like he is because he won two golds in events that are "roughly the same".

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 12:06:16 AM »
usa is a better country then america, i think for the last 8 years the country has been called america rather than the usa...kinda strange phenomenom
yes, much to the annoyance of the rest of the continent...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »
yes, much to the annoyance of the rest of the continent...

It annoys me pretty well too. 
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »
We need to invade Canada and Mexico just to make the name America more appropriate. I think Mexico pulled some Georgia-like moves, that should give us an excuse. not political, just a smart aleck remark

On the subject, I've watched no Olympics. I don't like NBC's coverage.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »
Just saw today that Hope Solo and the US Women's Soccer Team won gold....not bad!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 11:40:47 AM »
Thats really ****ing strange. Why are they so obsessed?

Chinese people and their government have this huge inferiority complex. I read some article how they were completely distressed and worried when the japanese passed them in average height among the population for instance. The opening ceremony was for me further proof of this. It was awesome so I didn't really care anyway.

I watch the olympics for the sports that are meant to be seen, like synchronized swimming, or gimnastics, they do some pretty cool things, but thats about it, team and ball sports as well as athleticism events are just boring to watch.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
Thats really ****ing strange. Why are they so obsessed?

Chinese people and their government have this huge inferiority complex. I read some article how they were completely distressed and worried when the japanese passed them in average height among the population for instance. The opening ceremony was for me further proof of this. It was awesome so I didn't really care anyway.

I watch the olympics for the sports that are meant to be seen, like synchronized swimming, or gimnastics, they do some pretty cool things, but thats about it, team and ball sports as well as athleticism events are just boring to watch.

Throw in the concept of "Face" and all that goes up to an entirely new level. Like the stupid Russian jokes like "In Russia you don't eat the food, the food eats you!", if a problem a looks alright from the outside, there IS no problem. That's why they have no qualms about faking chunks of the opening or handbags etc. The Olympics has been an epic ego project for China not unlike the weird dances Kim has in North Korea when the mood suits him. Smog, there is no smog.

Unfortunately it all very short sighted and in the information age, these constant cover ups keep blowing up in their faces.

As for watching it, well, I am usually too busy to watch much these days, alone watch sports I actually want to watch so to hell with it. Besides the scandals that hover around these Olympics are far more interesting than most of the games. I gives great insight as to how and what the hosting nation feels.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 11:46:14 PM »
...but thats about it, team and ball sports as well as athleticism events are just boring to watch.

Dude, you've never watched the hammer throw then. These giant dudes who compete in this event are just bizarre. One guy threw the hammer, and then started this ranting and raving tirade. He didn't even look where his throw hit, he was just staring at the ground yelling and screaming and waving his arms around like a crazy guy. The announcers were like, "So-and-so likes to talk to the hammer a bit after a throw," totally non-chalant. It was hilarious.

And the awesome part was, he wasn't the only one to be totally strange. One woman doing her throw just screamed after she let go. I mean, a sort of prolonged banshee-scream, and I don't mean like tennis players who grunt when they hit the ball. It, also, was hilarious and awesome.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »
GOLD FOR STRAYA! FUCKEN TAKE THAT CHINA WHERE'S YOUR LUCKY NUMBER EIGHT NOW FUCKERS? Mens 10m Platform. Unbelievable.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2008, 06:38:25 AM »
GOLD FOR STRAYA! FUCKEN TAKE THAT CHINA WHERE'S YOUR LUCKY NUMBER EIGHT NOW FUCKERS? Mens 10m Platform. Unbelievable.

How good was that? The unexpected golds are always the best.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€