Author Topic: Why is nobody talking about the Olympics ?  (Read 11484 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Why is nobody talking about the Olympics ?
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »
I'm not heavy into it, but passing by if USA is playing I watch for a moment.

Mike Phelps is amazing with 8 gold medals this year.

i watched USA beat the crap out of China in basketball and baseball. Stupid china beaned like 5 americans so the fact we won by 8 points is satisfying.

Watching your nation dominate another nation in sports is cool. Even more fun to beat that team at home.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Why is nobody talking about the Olympics ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 05:20:07 PM »
Not enough naked?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
Not a fan of watching sports, even though I partake in a bunch myself... *shrug*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:39:16 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about--Mario won't STFU about this game.  ;)

Mike Phelps is amazing with 8 gold medals this year.

Psh.  He won the same gold medal 8 times.  The guy can swim, I'm not taking this away from him, but does the Olympics really need a gadzillion swimming events?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
I kind of agree with you there. I get that there are different styles of swimming, but 8 events is over the top. Swimming is the only sport where you can do that. Why can't other sports be like that? Why are singles and doubles ping-pong tied together?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »
There are four different kinds of swimming with different distances and the various relays and individual medley, I don't see how that's over the top. Almost all the swimmers were only in a few of the events which indicates that there are significant differences between the different events.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »
I don't participate in viewing archaic sports.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:23:53 PM »
Yeah, I've nothing against people who are into the Olympics, but I've examined the event as a whole, and asked myself, "Do I care about this at all?" and the answer is no. I just have no interest personally.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
To me the Olympics are like Soccer in that they're sports that I can get interested in once every 4 years but not anymore frequently than that, except Curling, that should be on at least once a week.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:51:06 PM »
The Olympics committee is generally corrupt, and this year only proved it. I usually watch with passing interest each year it's on, but this year I avoided it entirely. Major athletics like these are a joke anyways (for instance, there's no way to fully test for drugs on any of the competitors), and China has run an Olympics farm (read: concentration camp) "training" their people to win win win or else they don't get to see their families. Overall, I like the idea of many countries coming together to "unite" in something as beautiful as athletics, but it's become such a dishonest, money-driven enterprise, and if there's one place that the Western world should NOT unite in, it's fucking CHINA.

Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »
The more swimming events the better, it's where we get all our medals. If someone was good enough they could theoretically do the same as Phelps in athletics.

Watching your nation dominate another nation in sports is cool. Even more fun to beat that team at home.

Too bad your nation is the one being dominated. I'm actually disappointed the US is losing to China, mainly for the reasons stated by Svevan. For a laugh: Please Ignore the Communism.

And I can't believe that the Brits are beating us. The end of the world is nigh.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
if there's one place that the Western world should NOT unite in, it's fucking CHINA.

No, we should just send all of our jobs and money there and have them send us all their cheap, lead coated, plastic crap. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »
In response to the topic title, probably because those interested, like me, are just watching them instead.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 08:40:07 PM »
if there's one place that the Western world should NOT unite in, it's fucking CHINA.

No, we should just send all of our jobs and money there and have them send us all their cheap, lead coated, plastic crap. ;)

QFT. The only reason we aren't boycotting the Olympics this year is because of the huge financial hit to NBC and its sponsors, most of whom have business ties with China. So instead of protecting America's ideals through a powerful pro-human rights boycott, our country has decided to protect its economic interest. WAY TO GO USA.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
China has run an Olympics farm (read: concentration camp) "training" their people to win win win or else they don't get to see their families.

It's not that I don't believe you, (and maybe this is common knowledge, but since I haven't been paying one iota of attention I wouldn't know) but can you provide a source for this?  It's news (and a little disturbing) to me.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
China has run an Olympics farm (read: concentration camp) "training" their people to win win win or else they don't get to see their families.

It's not that I don't believe you, (and maybe this is common knowledge, but since I haven't been paying one iota of attention I wouldn't know) but can you provide a source for this?  It's news (and a little disturbing) to me.

I hear they also eat babies who do not meet their standards to be a future athletes. They also torture puppies, bunnies, and fish. All while they are sharpening the horns growing out their head.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:45:15 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:32:02 PM »

I hear they also eat babies who do not meet their standards to be a future athletes.

when the boy was born, like all chinese he was inspected. If he had been small or puny, or sickly and mishapen, he would have been discarded..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »
All Chinese athletes were created in laboratories across China.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »
Drugs? No, thank you.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
You all suck http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/26202528#26202528

Thats a good video on china's treatment of athletes. However they are rewarded in Gold if they get gold in the Olympics.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 12:52:38 AM »
These "athletic camps" have been in existence for quite some time I would say, maybe since the 50s or 60s if not earlier, and not just in China.
Each country has its own way of reaching its goals even if they are morally unjustified.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:05 AM »
mainly because my nation failed miserably >_>
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 07:51:53 PM »
Thats really fucking strange. Why are they so obsessed?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 07:58:42 PM »
World Cup >>>>>>>>>>>> Olympics.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 08:17:12 PM »
I don't even see why they have Olympic soccer with the World Cup and all.