Author Topic: The House of the Dead: Overkill  (Read 49170 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: The House of the Dead: Overkill
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2009, 01:01:38 AM »
I played the game a bit yesterday - and it's pretty awesome. Although, I have to agree, HOTD3 looks better - even if it's "cartoony". You can't go by screenshots, the main characters look absolutely horrible, which to me, actually is inexcusable, given the fact that you only see them in cutscenes. The "grind house" filter does make it more aesthetically pleasing however, and the over-the-top violence actually makes it more fun to watch, even though, again, HOTD3 does have better graphics. Having said that, this hasmore enemies on screen at once, and in general, is a much better game. I'm not trying to be a graphics whore, I'm just pretty disappointed how it turned out visually, given the subject matter, the development time, and the buildup. The music, sound effects, and "commentary" are fantastic, and calibration w/o the reticule works excellently.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
Since the Wii is turning into an all you can eat salad bar, I decided to rent the "Papa" Caesar Salad (HOTD: Overkill)

I've played about an hour so far and it's fun, but presentation and gameplay wise I think I liked Umbrella Chronicles better. The Overkill storyline is very humorous and the game has a ton of personality, but a salad just isn't very filling.

I'm going to run this salad analogy into the ground

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »

We can always dream, right?

www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »
Awesome stuff. Also, Typing of the Dead.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
haha nice comic.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2009, 03:36:43 AM »
So I heard that you guys wanted to see the digital comic.
Well here you go

Here is the soundtrack
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
I finish the game with a friend over the weekend, good times.

HOTD3 looks good mainly because it feels good thanks to the framerate.  It's a less advanced game, originally developed by Sega's experienced arcade developers.  However, the classic zombies never come across as "zombies" to me, cuz the designs are too cartoony.  And the rest of the enemies and bosses are frankly, boring and wacky.  Even less interesting are the stages.  No wonder I hardly revisit these games.  The Area51-style game, CarnEvil, was awesome tho.

Ghost Squad is awesome cuz the enemies animate like you're on the set of THE A-TEAM, sucka.

Overkill, overall, looks awesome, cuz it looks interesting.  Unfortunately, the engineers didn't prioritize the framerate in their designs.  And I'm not surprised the main characters don't look great.  Kuju has had no major practice modeling realistic people characters, like how Factor5 wasn't prepared for 3rd person people gameplay in Rebel Strike, and Silicon Knights shifting gears to remodel N64 characters into GameCube characters for Eternal Darkness.  But all the mutant stuff in Overkill looks great.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »
I'm knee-deep in the middle of writing a review for it. It's honestly a tough review to write--trying to describe why the game is so awesome is hard to do without actually playing it.

GP was kind enough to send me her copy of the comic, which is...well, it's a nice collector's item but the art could be a lot better. It's going for a Sin City look and it fails. I suppose part of that is I don't actually like Sin City's art...
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »
Really? You didn't like that art style? I thought it couldn't get any better.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »
I've never really liked Frank Miller's art. I didn't like the art in Dark Knight Returns, either.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
So what's the best purchase/upgrade path for the weapons?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »
I upgraded my handgun all the way first, which was probably the wrong thing to do. Here's what you SHOULD do:

Buy the Shotugn. Upgrade the shotgun all the way.
Buy the Automatic Shotgun. Upgrade the Automatic Shotgun all the way.

Mow down motherf*ckers from here to kingdom come.

Beat the game. Unlock the Handcannon in story mode.

Buy the Handcannon. Upgrade it all the way. Buy and upgrade all the other weapons at your leisure, but there's no reason to actually use any of them. You do this mainly for the achievements.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2009, 04:08:31 PM »

Art appreciation is something person and varies from person to person. What might be a visual stunner for someone might be an eyesore to another.

Its something you can't really argue since its something personal.

But I am going extremely off topic here...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »

Art appreciation is something person and varies from person to person. What might be a visual stunner for someone might be an eyesore to another.

Very true. Unless it is GoW or Halo, the art style is undefendably (Yeah probably not a word but I don't care!) bad. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »

Very true. Unless it is GoW or Halo, the art style is undefendably (Yeah probably not a word but I don't care!) bad. ;)

Yes, I remember Evan mocked me because I said Halo 3 was a combination of the mundane and the fantastic. I still say that while it had some amazing textures in places and some great locales many a time it looked boring and not a big leap over Halo 2 (which as "Red vs. Blue" greatly illustrated, the difference between Halo 1 and 2 graphically is glaring...SHINY ARMOR!).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2009, 04:33:58 PM »
I've been playing through Halo 3 again recently and it doesn't even feel like a triple A 360 game in production values.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »
I've been playing through Halo 3 again recently and it doesn't even feel like a triple A 360 game in production values.

I think the Halo series suffers from trying to do too much with both multiplayer and single player.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »
Art appreciation is very personal, except for this case: I have yet to meet anybody who likes Jim Lawson's work on the TMNT comics.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »
I've never really liked Frank Miller's art. I didn't like the art in Dark Knight Returns, either.

So you probably hate MadWorld?

Art appreciation is very personal, except for this case: I have yet to meet anybody who likes Jim Lawson's work on the TMNT comics.

Oh God...Don't remind me.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »
I'm knee-deep in the middle of writing a review for it. It's honestly a tough review to write--trying to describe why the game is so awesome is hard to do without actually playing it.

GP was kind enough to send me her copy of the comic, which is...well, it's a nice collector's item but the art could be a lot better. It's going for a Sin City look and it fails. I suppose part of that is I don't actually like Sin City's art...

The real failure here is the Yankee version of the comic is SENSORRED while the cool people in EuroLand gets all the boobs and no stupid *********************** covering up each an every bubble coming from Detective Washington.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »

Agreed.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:09 AM »
Thanks Maxi for the uploads!

Having just beat the normal story mode, I'm glad I got it. Its a nice counter part to RE:UC. It knows what it is, and doesn't try to be anything more than that. Good, mindless fun, with a splish splash of meta-awareness in it. Now I have directors cut to get into...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »
Anytime Djunknown.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2009, 03:03:35 AM »
That Dog is wearing a toupee!

Just finished normal story mode as well. The last level had awesome music, too bad about Varla I wonder what HOTD:Overkill 2 will be? I hope they do a send up of 80s musclebound action films.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2009, 02:23:45 PM »
Thanks Maxi for the uploads!

Maxi didn't upload the files.  He just stole the links from GoNintendo which store them from GAF.

Anytime Djunknown.

Don't take credit for something you didn't do!!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!