Author Topic: Dear Nintendo: New Wii Channel Idea - Friend Code Manager.  (Read 6780 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Dear Nintendo: New Wii Channel Idea - Friend Code Manager.
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »
I think we can all agree that Friend Codes suck.

I also think we can all agree that, if we're stuck with Friend Codes, the way Mario Kart Wii handles them is about the best we're going to get.

With this in mind, I would like to propose a new Wii Channel: The Friend Code Manager.

This channel will automatically pull your Wii Friend Codes from the save files on your Wii and store/edit them, allowing you to trade FC's and register FC's from existing WiFi Games with any other Wii owner who has this channel and you've already traded Wii System Codes with (similar to the Mario Kart channel).

Additionally, you can register your existing library of DS WiFi games and use the Friend Code Manager WiiWare to send automated messages to your friend's Wii's inviting them to add you to their DS game.  (It'd be awesome if there was some way to automate this process by linking your DS to your Wii like Pokémon: Battle Revolution or something, but that's probably asking way too much).

Now, in a dream world, the Friend Code Manager would also have a Pictochat like program, allowing you to chat IN REAL TIME with anyone (or any group) of people who you've exchanged Wii System Friend Codes with.  (WiiSpeak?)

And what's better is that the Wii Friend Code Manager could, ideally, be tied into Nintendo's NintendoWiFi.com and know what game you playing online right at that moment on your Wii or DS... and would know what games your friends are playing online!

Now, this isn't a perfect solution, as you'd have to have this WiiWare application loaded to see who's online/what they're playing, so if you're playing Mario Galaxy, you won't get a message saying your friend just hopped onto Mario Kart... But if you're in there chatting with friends, you'll have the chance to see someone pop online.

Imagine having your Wii on and in the Friend Code Manager.  You could have your TV on a different channel or be in a nearby room and your Wii Remote could "ring", letting you know someone has popped online.

And, finally, you can use this magic channel to play DS games that use Local Multi-Player against friends anywhere.

Yeah, I'm dreaming.... so what?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Nintendo: New Wii Channel Idea - Friend Code Manager.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »
Dammit, UncleBob, I hate you for putting this in my head with the knowledge that there's no way it will ever happen. Though I'm sure Nintendo will include this in the Wii 2 and call it their centralized online service.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »
Dammit, UncleBob, I hate you for putting this in my head with the knowledge that there's no way it will ever happen. Though I'm sure Nintendo will include this in the Wii 2 and call it their centralized online service.

I hope their centralized online service includes only 1 friend code per person.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »
*Drools*

Fuckingly
Fantastic
Idea!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »
Bumtastic.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
They need to just do a system like URLs to IP addresses work. Name damn thing the 360 does, mask the friend code behind an easy to remember user name. 
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 01:28:42 AM »
sounds good. i'm going to be positive right now and say  Lets hope Nintendo does this. 

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »
They need to just do a system like URLs to IP addresses work. Name damn thing the 360 does, mask the friend code behind an easy to remember user name. 

I don't know how Live works, but wouldn't you still need to know the Friend Code? Sure, you could just search for the user name, but there might be thousands of people using it, but each with unique UIN. Obviously, having just a basic system Friend Code, without any game specific Friend Codes, would be the way to go. I don't see why it really matters whether or not there is a name obscuring it, as your friends can decided to name their contact whatever they want (or let it be tied to your Mii's name or whatever). ICQ has always worked well enough by having one unique number per person, even allowing you to change your handle as you want.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »

I don't know how Live works, but wouldn't you still need to know the Friend Code? Sure, you could just search for the user name, but there might be thousands of people using it, but each with unique UIN. Obviously, having just a basic system Friend Code, without any game specific Friend Codes, would be the way to go. I don't see why it really matters whether or not there is a name obscuring it, as your friends can decided to name their contact whatever they want (or let it be tied to your Mii's name or whatever). ICQ has always worked well enough by having one unique number per person, even allowing you to change your handle as you want.

No I find these long codes to be a joke. I'd like to remember when I see friends I haven't seen in awhile etc.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »
Yeah none of this will be seen happening until the next Mario Kart is out.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 12:03:25 AM »

No I find these long codes to be a joke. I'd like to remember when I see friends I haven't seen in awhile etc.

So instead of codes, you'd rather see names such as John1, John2, John3? Unique number sequences guarantee that you would be able to more easily remember your friends by identifying them as you see fit. Your friend is number 1234-567-8910 and uses the screen name John, along with thousands of other people that use the name John but with different numbers. You don't have to list them as John though... You could put them in your address book as "John (from work)" or something.

Long codes aren't a problem when they're only being exchanged once. They'd be as easy to remember as a social security number, as far as giving it out goes. Once you are given a number, you can name it in your address book as you see fit. I see no problem with the system at all, unless you either don't name your contacts or use your contacts preferred names when they're all called George, Bob, John, and Mike.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 01:33:59 AM »
Hell at this point the current system is fine if every game allowed you to automatically add people off your console friend list like Mario Kart Wii does.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
No, every day people sign up for things creating their own unique username.  rarely does any bitch about it either. PLUS, people love the creative aspect of it.  I see no reason for a unique id system at all.

Frozen Shoe Games