Author Topic: Nintendo needs to make a Nunchuck pack-in game!  (Read 14159 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Nintendo needs to make a Nunchuck pack-in game!
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »
As you all know, Wii Play has managed to become possibly the most successful non-pack-in game for the Wii, and you all know the reason why that is, don't you? I'll give you a hint: it isn't because Wii Play is such an awesome game.

So yeah, millions of people have bought Wii Play just for the fact it includes a Wii-mote in the box with it. Nintendo has successfully followed this strategy with Link's crossbow game which has sold well just be including a cheap plastic shell with the game, and they are about to do the same with Mario Kart by including yet another plastic add on to help sell the game along.

The one obvious thing which is missing here is the Nunchuk. It isn't packed in with any game, and in order to get it you must purchase it separately. This is such a waste,because Nintendo could make any crappy game idea they wanted into a huge financial success if they chucked it into a box with a bonus nunchuk. So why aren't they doing this? They can throw together some cheap shovelware titled "Link's Lawnmowing Training", or "Samus Aran's Bowling Training" and shove it into a box with a bonus nunchuck and put a $50 price tag on it and that game would sell in the millions.

So why isn't Nintendo doing this? If they did think of the profit they would make by combining a $20 nunchuck with a $5 game and charging $50 for both. Plus it would put more nunchuks into circulation and further the success of multiplayer Wii games in the future.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo needs to make a Nunchuck pack-in game!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:06 PM »
I am one nunchuck short of a full set so I support this thread.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
These nunchuk pack-in games should be third-party games.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »
I vote for Sonic Unleashed as the first pack-in for the nunchuck.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:00:06 AM »
I vote for Sonic Unleashed as the first pack-in for the nunchuck.

I second!

Actually, instead of packing in a nunchuck, they should probably feature "coupons" that can be redeemed for a nunchuck. That way packing costs are down, you can have a sticker on the front of the box advertising the mail-in-rebate feature, and people who already have tons of nunchucks aren't put off too much either!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:01:51 AM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »
Oopona should have been that game...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »
As someone who owned 4 remotes and nunchucks virtually on launch day (I think it took a few extra days to find 2 more nunchucks) I despise all these pack-ins. I really want Wii Tank, but I'm not going to buy it for $50.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:19:54 AM »
I am one nunchuck short of a full set so I support this thread.

Wow.. exactly the same here! 4 remotes and 3 chucks.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
Nunchakus never seemed difficult to come by, unlike remotes, so I don't really see the point.

And Nemo has a good point.  Some people already have a full set and don't want to pay extra for redundant equipment.
GOREGASM!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that nunchucks are ridiculously overpriced?

You are basically getting a joystick with buttons and some motion sensing. Why charge 20 bucks for it? 10 or 15 bucks should have been fine.

Same deal with the zapper. 20 bucks with game=fine. 20 bucks WITHOUT game=rip of, since its really a shell.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »

You are basically getting a joystick with buttons and some motion sensing. Why charge 20 bucks for it? 10 or 15 bucks should have been fine.

Same deal with the zapper. 20 bucks with game=fine. 20 bucks WITHOUT game=rip of, since its really a shell.
Sort of like why is Sony selling the Dual Shock 3 for $54.  I mean its pretty much a Sixaxis with rumble.   I still think they should release the original PS3 Concept controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
No, you're not. They're overpriced because they're pointless without the Wii remote. In fact, I feel like the Wii remote is overpriced, it should have been $30. At the same time, I admit I'm a value whore.
Sort of like why is Sony selling the Dual Shock 3 for $54.  I mean its pretty much a Sixaxis with rumble.   I still think they should release the original PS3 Concept controller.
I actually think the Dual Shock 3 is a fair price comparatively to the regular Sixaxis, especially considering that Sony could've been even bigger dicks about it and released the DS3 for $60 or more. Of course, they could've just lowered the price of the regular Sixaxis and retailed the DS3 for $50 so I understand where you're coming from. Still, Sony's controllers, in my opinion, are the most fairly priced. Sure, the controller itself sucks (almost 10 years of flawed design, thanks Sony) and the battery life is actually the weakest of all first party controllers this generation, but that's besides the point. It's the only one that comes rechargable out of the box.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »
No, you're not. They're overpriced because they're pointless without the Wii remote. In fact, I feel like the Wii remote is overpriced, it should have been $30. At the same time, I admit I'm a value whore.
I actually think the Dual Shock 3 is a fair price comparatively to the regular Sixaxis, especially considering that Sony could've been even bigger dicks about it and released the DS3 for $60 or more. Of course, they could've just lowered the price of the regular Sixaxis and retailed the DS3 for $50 so I understand where you're coming from. Still, Sony's controllers, in my opinion, are the most fairly priced. Sure, the controller itself sucks (almost 10 years of flawed design, thanks Sony) and the battery life is actually the weakest of all first party controllers this generation, but that's besides the point. It's the only one that comes rechargable out of the box.
I found my PS3 controller last about as long as my DSLite.  Though I can just plug it into any usb port and syphon power from there which is handy at times.  I wish they due a redesign.  Just steal the the Cubes analog stick layout and lower the sticks height a little would go long way for me.  Also on the batter thing I like how all the little warnings are that uniform gray box and done by the system.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »
Precisely why I said that the PS3 controller has the fairest price. :) When you take battery consumption into account, it's the best value. I saw a chart comparing the battery life of the PS3, Wii, and 360. I'll try to find it, but if I remember correctly, PS3 was last at like 18 hours, Wii at 32 and 360 at 50 something. Microsoft offers some rechargable solutions though that costs extra.

Also, I don't want to stray too far off topic, but the Dual Shock controller in all its incarnations suffers from an extreme case of "sucks ass." Only a complete redesign would be acceptable though I'll probably end up begrudgingly using a DS3 in the future since there are no alternatives and I'll be forced to buy a PS3 for God of War III.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 08:44:43 AM »
And Nemo has a good point.  Some people already have a full set and don't want to pay extra for redundant equipment.

The only reason you guys can think of for why this shouldn't be done is that you are pissed off that you bought yours separately and without a pack-in, but why do you have to piss on everyone else's fun by saying its a bad idea? Aside from the selfish reason that you already bought yours separately and want to force everyone else to do the same, there's really no reason it shouldn't be done.

Many Wii owners out there could use one or more nunchucks, and this is an easy way for Nintendo to get another million+ selling game. It's too bad you and Nemo already bought all the nunchucks you need, but why do you want to ruin the fun for everyone else? I'm sure there are people who bought 4 remotes with their Wii at launch and were pissed off when Wii Play came out a few months later, but that doesn't mean Wii Play was a bad idea. Sure they were pissed, and I probably would be too, but you have to admit it was a good move from Nintendo's perspective and for the Wii owners who needed an additional remote.
is your sanity...

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
They should pack a game in with the component cables, too. Dr. Where's Waldo Sight Training.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »
I think there's a different issue with a Nunchuck pack-in title.

If I buy a Wii, then any of the current pack-in titles (Wii Play, LCT, Mario Kart, Wii Fit), I don't *need* to buy anything else to be able to use the game and the pack-in equipment.

If I buy a Wii and Wii Nunchuck pack-in title, I need to buy a second remote.  It may seem like a minor difference, but there's a large difference from a sales person telling you to buy a $250 system+$50 Wii Play and a sales person telling you to buy $250 system+$50 Nunchuck title+$40 controller.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »
I think there's a different issue with a Nunchuck pack-in title.

If I buy a Wii, then any of the current pack-in titles (Wii Play, LCT, Mario Kart, Wii Fit), I don't *need* to buy anything else to be able to use the game and the pack-in equipment.

If I buy a Wii and Wii Nunchuck pack-in title, I need to buy a second remote.  It may seem like a minor difference, but there's a large difference from a sales person telling you to buy a $250 system+$50 Wii Play and a sales person telling you to buy $250 system+$50 Nunchuck title+$40 controller.

But Wii Play doesn't come with a nunchuck so that sales jerk will be telling you to buy $250 system + $50 Wii Play + $20 Nunchuck anyway. Most Wii games require the nunchuck, so it makes sense to have it as a pack in for something.

Considering the success of Wii Play, Nintendo should consider making a Wii Play 2 and the sequel could include the nunchuck...
is your sanity...

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »

The only reason you guys can think of for why this shouldn't be done is that you are pissed off that you bought yours separately and without a pack-in, but why do you have to piss on everyone else's fun by saying its a bad idea? Aside from the selfish reason that you already bought yours separately and want to force everyone else to do the same, there's really no reason it shouldn't be done.
I don't think it was really necessary to insult me just because I don't see the point of forcing people to buy things together.  I could easily use the same logic against you: why should people who already have all the controllers they need have to pay extra for redundant equipment asside from your selfish reason of wanting extras with your budget games?
GOREGASM!

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »
Who cares, even if they make a pack-in game and you already have all four nunchuck get the game used separately or sell the nunchuck.

Offline Uncle Bob

• Bob-to-go
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 04:13:08 PM »
$250 Wii+$50Wii Play + $20 Nunchuck is still $30 cheaper than subbing a $50 game/nunchuck combo.

Besides - I have two nunchucks and have rarely used my second one. The buy-in price for the Wii gets higher and higher with every additional thing you try to add on.  As a sales person, I aim for a Wii and a Wii Play. This keeps the initial buy-in around $300 (still in most casual buyer's comfort zone), gives them 14 games to mess around with (although I am honest and tell them most of Wii Play isn't that exciting) and everything they need to get the most out of their initial buy-in except 2-player Wii Boxing.

Keep in mind, when someone who's just heard about the Wii comes in to get one, their friend told them "it's only $250". Their friend didn't mention how much all the accessories were. Overwhelm them too much and they back out of the sale.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
The sad thing is, I'd actually pay for a game in which you mow Hyrule Field as Link while fighting off Moblins with your Great Pesticide Jug.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't want to draw too much attention to the nunchuk.  The nunchuk is their compromise.  They showed Retro studios their brilliant "new standard" remote and got a "WTF?" response.  The nunchuk is a compromise for developers that wanted something more conventional.  It is the "proof" that the remote is unsuitable as a new controller standard.  Why emphasize that?  Notice that the nunchuk is pretty much a requirement for Wii titles that go beyond casual focused non-games.  It's like a rule.

Why not pack the classic controller in with a game as well?  SSB Brawl would have been a PERFECT title for that.  Again the classic controller is a compromise.  It's sheer existance exposes the remote's shortcomings.

If the remote really was all that Nintendo claims it is there would be no nunchuk or classic controller.  We wouldn't want them, we wouldn't need them.  We wouldn't even think of the idea.  So much about Nintendo these days is pushing ideology and theory.  They would never push the nunchuk because it goes against their whole idealogy of traditional controllers being too confusing and such.

Besides I think the timing is too late.  Too many people who want nunchuks have them.  Wii Play came out at the right time.  The Wii was brand new and people were buying themselves extra controllers.  There's no high demand for the nunchuk now like there would have been when Wii Play came out.  If Wii Play had come out NOW it probably would have bombed because there's no longer a huge glut of people who want extra controllers.  The pack-in is only going to work for new accessories that we haven't already had over a year to acquire.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »
As you all know, Wii Play has managed to become possibly the most successful non-pack-in game for the Wii, and you all know the reason why that is, don't you? I'll give you a hint: it isn't because Wii Play is such an awesome game.

So yeah, millions of people have bought Wii Play just for the fact it includes a Wii-mote in the box with it.

This makes no sense at all.  Wii Play is a pack-in title.  You said so yourself.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't want to draw too much attention to the nunchuk.  The nunchuk is their compromise.  They showed Retro studios their brilliant "new standard" remote and got a "WTF?" response.  The nunchuk is a compromise for developers that wanted something more conventional.  It is the "proof" that the remote is unsuitable as a new controller standard.  Why emphasize that?  Notice that the nunchuk is pretty much a requirement for Wii titles that go beyond casual focused non-games.  It's like a rule.

Do you think before you start to rant about Wii controller inputs?  Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Batallion Wars 2, all of these games use the Nunchuk.  I think the only first party games that don't (for the most part) are Wii Sports, Wii Play, Excite Truck and WarioWare.

You need to get off your high horse and admit that Nintendo doesn't outsource controller designs to a bunch of chimps.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 03:13:28 PM »
Besides is it any different than N64? They made the Analog stick the focal point of the controller and their main system selling game. They still included the D-Pad because they knew someone would make use of it and gamers are resistant to change just like everybody else. But Ian's other points are all valid. A pack-In won't be a major success but it would be a neat game selling gimmick.