Author Topic: The Subspace Emissary Sucks  (Read 50090 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: The Subspace Emissary Sucks
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:48 PM »
I actually liked the corny story, and I got most of it from the silent movie acting just fine.  What I didn't like was the multitude of cheap deaths from the levels and bosses.  Maybe I shouldn't have played through it on Hard mode, but I just didn't think I could live with myself if I took the easy way out.  I refused to even use stickers until the Great Maze finally completely wore down my resolve and I just wanted it to end.

By the way, I presume there are slightly different movies based on the choices you make.  Is there any way to unlock the versions I didn't get without replaying the whole thing?
I've tried to go back to the levels and play them the differently to get the different cut scenes, but to no avail. I actually started over for them and then promptly gave up and went back to multiplayer.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »
You can get all the cutscenes by making alternative choices.  The last choice you've got to make involves Meta-Knight and Lucario, and no cutscenes after that one can be altered by choices.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2008, 08:52:01 PM »
Well I guess I'm one of the few who actually really likes the SSE. Me and my sister have already beaten it, start to finish, twice and are working our way up the difficulties (Intense is... quite interesting so far).

*shrugs* I guess I have always been a fan of mindless beat-em ups like Final Fight and what not, as has my sister, so the SSE feels right at home to us.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2008, 04:27:02 PM »
You can get all the cutscenes by making alternative choices.  The last choice you've got to make involves Meta-Knight and Lucario, and no cutscenes after that one can be altered by choices.

Immediately after beating that level, I replayed it, chose the other character, and got no cutscene at all.  It seems that you need to keep an old save handy when these choices come up.  If only I had known that from the beginning, I wouldn't be so annoyed by it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
What are all the choices you can make?  Obviously, the first is which princess you save from Petey.  What are the others?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »
No, the first choice is Kirby and Mario.  After that, you've got to pick who to save.  Beyond that, I think the only one is Meta-Knight and Lucario.

Essentially, there's very little difference with two of the choices, but the cage choice affects a few fights down the road when near the time four heroes meet up.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »
So in my game I chose Mario.  If I had chosen Kirby would only the short scene of the winner un-trophying the loser have changed, or would Mario and Kirby have switched parties for the first half of the game?  I'm confused as to the extent of the branching paths.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
The cutscene would have changed.  That's it.  And in order to unlock all the cutscenes, you have to do that.  The only choice that has any real effect on the story is the cage choice, and even then, it's only at one point later on, where you play a different lady and play as a different set of heroes.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
I like Subspace, but I'm stuck at 98%. There are flags in both areas of the Halberd and like...the Wilds or something, and I'm not sure how to get those extra 2%.

I'm kind of irritated that Trophy Stands only pop up at random intervals during boss fights, and usually not at all. I got a Trophy Stand during the first ten seconds of the Rayquaza fight and I was like "oh, COME ON." It disappeared before I could do significant damage to the beastie.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
I bet there might be stickers that help with trophy stands...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:25 PM »
I bet there might be stickers that help with trophy stands...

Yep, and as noted in the blog it helps to play on the higher difficulties. Hard and Very Hard are ideal if you are looking to get boss trophies, Intense even more so... although it's harder to stay alive while waiting around for one to appear.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2008, 10:55:05 PM »
Intense single boss fights aren't so hard if you power up the characters you would be playing as.  All you have to do is make sure you maximize trophy space and use stickers that would effect the specific attacks you'd use, or defend against the attacks the boss would use.  And don't forget the trophy-dropping sticker, of course.

Offline Deep-Six

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »
Well I guess I'm one of the few who actually really likes the SSE. Me and my sister have already beaten it, start to finish, twice and are working our way up the difficulties (Intense is... quite interesting so far).

*shrugs* I guess I have always been a fan of mindless beat-em ups like Final Fight and what not, as has my sister, so the SSE feels right at home to us.

Actually, your not alone there, I actually loved the SSE and never had had a lot of fun with it (and we both also like Godzilla, wowee).  I beat it on hard my first time, beat it 100%, and now plan to play it again on intense.  I guess I'm just very good at the game.

Best cut-scean goes to the airship battle. (drool)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2008, 11:05:07 AM »
i finally had some time to beat this damn thing after stoping half-way thru the Great Maze on my last play time like a month ago. I don't think the complaints about the SSE are that serious, it didnt take anything away from my time with it and the fun i had. I really liked it in fact, but i DO still feel they should of worked more on brawls on-line components since having an on-line smash bros is what most of the fans wanted. Since launch, i've been unable to play random matches at all and only played a handful of friendly matches because i'd keep getting disconnected from the network. I don't want to hear anything about using X or Y cuz i've tried a few methods of getting my game on-line
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2008, 10:47:31 PM »
OK, having fully played the SSE mode I am ready to offer my thoughts...

The mode does indeed suck. Its a tad better than the single player adventure modes seen in other fighting games (I'm looking at you, Tekken!)....but not by much. In fact, it suffers from many of the problems commonly found in these modes, and here's a rundown:

1. Lame/annoying enemies: These are perhaps some of the worst enemies I have ever seen in a videogame. They are supposed to be part of an army made of the same substance, but they are all over the place. The Brawl team should have taken a cue from Square's Kingdom Hearts and make the SSE army a lot like the Heartless army; be wild in their design but make them look like they belong on the same team.

But what truly kills me is how greatly annoying they are on the harder levels. Some of them are insanely cheap! And the game loves to throw many of them at once. I swear I almost threw the controller across the room in frustration due to how ridiculous these enemies are.

2. Annoying level design: I admit, I thought the levels were cool, especially on the first levels. But afterwards they are an exercise in patience as they are very bland, boring and un-inspired. Seriously, we are playing a NINTENDO ALL STARS GAME! Shouldn't we be visiting levels based on Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and such? I know that this is an alternate trophy world, but really!

And the Great Maze level? WORST...LEVEL...EVER! Really, WHY did Sakurai and his team throw in this really tedious final level? Its like they ran out of ideas for a cool final level and instead decided to throw the player around the same, boring levels they already endured, throw in even more enemies and force them to repeat every single boss battle and character battle in the game.

3. The SSB engine DOES NOT WORK AS A PLATFORMING ENGINE: Did anyone on the development ever team realize this? In fact,  when playing through the mode I remembered one of the reasons the adventure mode in Melee was lame; the SSB engine does not work as an adventure and platforming engine. Once you do a third jump the character can't jump anymore until he or she lands. This can kill your character if you miss a platform in a level. Plus, it just made the controls feel very awkward, especially for climbing ladders and jumping using springs.

The ending now sucks even harder, especially since I endured a rather long and tedious level in order to get it.

So overall, I am left wondering "Considering Sakurai's dream was to make an expanded single player adventure, this is the best that he and his team could come up with?" Lord knows how many online features, characters, stages and items were sacrificed just so work on this mode could be finished in time of the game's release.

The really pretty cutscenes and "story" does not make the mode even more appealing. The decision to use the fighting engine as a platformer, annoying enemies and terrible level design make the SSE mode yet another mode that developers tried to shoehorn into the game, but failed to live up to the standards set by the main game.

If there's a SSB 4, the SSE shouldn't be brought back. Or at the very least, given a massive overhaul.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2008, 12:34:32 AM »
If I were Sakurai, I'd have made the SSE a bunch of cutscenes with fights between characters in between, none of the silly, bland platforming.

That way, he could've outsourced the CGI and focused on testing the game to eliminate game breaking balance issues, like how Marth, Snake and some others can infinite-grab-kill Lucas and Ness and Dedede can infinite grab kill 5 different characters.

I wouldn't have minded the SSE so much if the rest of the game was picture-perfect, but as it stands, it doesn't look like much testing happened at all. Chaingrabbing isn't a super advanced technique, especially when you can just mash the grab button (like in Marth's case against Ness/Lucas) and have a guaranteed kill on your hands.

I can't imagine how beta testing could've overlooked infinite-grab kills unless Sakurai only brought non-gamers in to test it or something. The game wasn't rushed, so what's the excuse this time?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2008, 12:41:13 AM »
He didn't care.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »
After 90 day hiatus I finally forced myself to play this again over the weekend.  68% done now, almost there!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2008, 04:34:03 AM »
I'm really liking Sub Space Emissary. Much better than the lousy fighting game.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »
SSE is kind of a chore to play by myself, but with my girlfriend it's alot more fun.  I think the boss battles are fun, as I'm trying to get all the boss trophies at the moment.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »
I agree I played it co-op and it was actually much better and very fun.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »

I can't imagine how beta testing could've overlooked infinite-grab kills unless Sakurai only brought non-gamers in to test it or something. The game wasn't rushed, so what's the excuse this time?

You can't grab SSE characters (and maybe that's where a bulk of the testing went).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2008, 07:09:39 AM »
Subspace Emissary got overly hard all of a sudden. The floating platform jumping makes me angry.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
Don't use Samus, when you have the option.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:14 PM »
I was addicted to SSE the first day; I really don't see what all the fuss was about. I suppose what kept me going was constantly unlocking a new character every hour or so; I had to keep going just to see what was next. I enjoyed the cinematics too...I suppose the gameplay was fairly sparse, but it was enough to keep me playing pretty much nonstop from start to finish.

Honestly, though, I've barely picked up the game since, so maybe I approached it wrong.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.