Author Topic: The Subspace Emissary Sucks  (Read 50077 times)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: The Subspace Emissary Sucks
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »
I had far more fun with Melee than I am with Brawl ::shrugs::

Don't worry, just some people get grumpy and feel the need to defend every aspect of the game. Perfection must be created in their head to further their enjoyment.

THAT'S what I did for Melee. I feel this one is authentically better.  SSE is far from perfect, but it isn't bad and I had fun.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

Right there with you. I think the problem is the core of the game was neglected for the trimmings.

At the time of release, Melee was so full of stuff to do it felt just as massive as Brawl. However the core of the game was clearly the focus, everything else was gravy. It was a huge upgrade from the original and catapulted the series into the position it sits today. Ignoring all the hype, the simple fact that Melee plays better than Brawl is enough to make me disappointed.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »

Don't worry, just some people get grumpy and feel the need to defend every aspect of the game. Perfection must be created in their head to further their enjoyment.

THAT'S what I did for Melee. I feel this one is authentically better.  SSE is far from perfect, but it isn't bad and I had fun.

Well I think Brawl is far superior to Melee, though some of the choices are a bit too confusing (THough unlike Mr. Jack I prefer the speed drop). Also I can't help but feel Brawl is turning into Halo for Nintendo systems, a new game every few years that isn't that big of a step up from the last but has "more" things.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »
Ignoring all the hype, the simple fact that Melee plays better than Brawl is enough to make me disappointed.

How are we defining "plays better?" Cause I disagree with your statement on face value. Brawl has the rhythm of a heartbeat; each fight pulses as it progresses. I love the core game that's there, I don't know what else is needed.

I also don't think the new game has to radically change the original formula. It's not as huge of a step as Melee was from the 64 version, but we jumped a mighty leap in 3-D gaming from 32 and 64 bit to GC, Xbox, and PS2.

I think Brawl's levels are much better, too.

Um, and we may need to move this conversation to a different thread.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:41:10 PM by Svevan »
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
Ignoring all the hype, the simple fact that Melee plays better than Brawl is enough to make me disappointed.

How are we defining "plays better?" Cause I disagree with your statement on face value. Brawl has the rhythm of a heartbeat; each fight pulses as it progresses. I love the core game that's there, I don't know what else is needed.

Well I am definitely better at Melee then I am at Brawl.  Brawl I seem to have been evened out, I am having a hard time finding my main character I like to play as.  I suppose that could be what Mr. Jack is talking about.  However I hear my main character from Melee was Fox.   I here he was overpowered/cheap, so that maybe why I felt so good with him :P

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
I was about to type something but . . . I'm gonna make a new thread as to not derail this one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »
I'm sorry but I find myself not impressed by the SSE at all. Yeah the cinemas were cool but pointless just like the mode itself.

It builds itself up to be something so epic and yet there is no solid story, no reason behind the events that unfold, nothing . . . it's just a bunch of soulless eye candy.

Are we supposed to be impressed? I'm not.

For all the delays and hype and well everything surrounding the game I am left feeling sorely disappointed.
I agree mostly though I'm only really disappointed in SSE (not sure if you meant that you were sorely disappointed in the game as a whole). I would like to see a cross-over game adventure again some time in the future, but I suppose Smash Bros. isn't the game to do it in. SSE doesn't feel like a separate game, it feels like an extra mode that got too much attention and thus, was a waste of development resources.

In the end, Miyamoto was right. I guess there's a reason he's almost unanimously regarded as the greatest game designer ever.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2008, 05:11:03 AM »
So I actually went to the Smash Bros. Dojo for the first time in a while. April 10th's update was an explanation of the Subspace Emissary's plot.

FAIL!

Yet another reason the mode sucks. By Sakurai's own admission "there may have been some story-related items that didn’t fully make sense" so he goes on to explain some backstory that you couldn't get from the cut-scenes. You shouldn't need supplementary information to make sense of a story. It should have been complete on its own, except it wasn't so it fails.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:49:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »
Some of the things that were in that post could easily be derived from the story that was there. A lot of other things seemed irrelevant. The gunship, the Ancient Minister's disguise and the part about Mr. G&W didn't seem to matter.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »
Some of the things that were in that post could easily be derived from the story that was there. A lot of other things seemed irrelevant. The gunship, the Ancient Minister's disguise and the part about Mr. G&W didn't seem to matter.

If they could easily be derived, why did he feel the need to give us the whole plot?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »
Yeah, that's proof beyond all else that the SSE was a waste of time and energy. "Soulless eye candy" is pretty apt.

The funny part is that, years ago, I imagined a crossover between the Nintendo universe and another, and in that crossover, I imagined Bowser and Ganondorf working together, but there would be dialogue between them, not this "silent-movie-interpreted-entirely-by-gestures" nonsense. I also imagined there would be a dark version of Peach...eerie.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2008, 01:27:37 PM »
Damn you guys I really liked the cinema scenes and did enjoy a fair portion of the gameplay.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

If they could easily be derived, why did he feel the need to give us the whole plot?

Cuz he feels he did a terrible job of delivering it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »
Damn you guys I really liked the cinema scenes and did enjoy a fair portion of the gameplay.

I thought it was cool myself (I actually liked the maze at the end, heh), but I'd have scrapped it if they could've instead given us something which would apply to multiplayer.

I mean, SSE was neat, but we spent MAYBE a week playing SSE. We'll spend the next 6 YEARS playing the multiplayer.

Which one necessitates more attention?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:43:19 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »
Mario Kart.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
Actually, the correct answer was "Online play".

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »
I don't think there was anything they could have done during the development of the game that would have improved the current situation with the online play.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »
That's a strong point.  Fighting games are just doomd onrine.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »
I actually liked the corny story, and I got most of it from the silent movie acting just fine.  What I didn't like was the multitude of cheap deaths from the levels and bosses.  Maybe I shouldn't have played through it on Hard mode, but I just didn't think I could live with myself if I took the easy way out.  I refused to even use stickers until the Great Maze finally completely wore down my resolve and I just wanted it to end.

By the way, I presume there are slightly different movies based on the choices you make.  Is there any way to unlock the versions I didn't get without replaying the whole thing?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
That's a strong point.  Fighting games are just doomd onrine.

Funny you mention that...

From what I've learned, Google is in the process of rolling out a new type of NAT transversal tech which completely obliterates the need for a proxy service.

Right now, playing through Gamespy's services means our connection goes through their servers because it acts as an intermediary in order to keep the connection alive. Otherwise, the connection couldn't be maintained due to firewall issues, since reaching a device on the other side of a firewall is immensely difficult.

With what Google is offering, the need for the intermediary really DOES go away, meaning the connection would be going between the two player's Wiis instead of having to pass through Gamespy or any other service.

Needless to say, this type of setup would be godly for online gaming and voice chat alike. If we had this instead of Gamespy, SSBB matches would probably be almost completely lag free from across the country, no question.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »
What makes you think Nintendo will take advantage of such a thing within the next 5 years?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2008, 05:43:15 PM »
Blind faith and the love of being let down.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »
Blind faith and the love of being let down.

qft
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:08 PM »
What makes you think Nintendo will take advantage of such a thing within the next 5 years?

I don't, but I know some 3rd parties are going to look into it pretty heavily.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2008, 07:29:28 PM »
Brawnline will suck, forever and ever.