Author Topic: RE: Press Conference Live Blog  (Read 13353 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Press Conference Live Blog
« on: September 14, 2006, 04:19:21 AM »
Get the blow-by-blow account of what went down at the U.S. Wii Preview event!

10:10AM Strange in game advertising question.  Nintendo is looking into it but it doesn't really follow what Reggie thinks they are going for.  
 10:09AM Pokemon Battle Revolution first Online title IN JAPAN at Japanese launch.  US launch to follow sometime later.  
 10:07AM I asked about Metroid Prime 3.  Officially an 07 title.  Adam Sessler followed up asking about strategy.  Reggie insists there will be no GameCube-like dead spot right after launch.  
 10:05AM Widescreen capable question - all first party titles are.  Graphical power question - You'll say wow.  Normal vague talk.  
 10:03AM Capabilities of connecting through a wire if you don't have WiFi.  Very vague though.  
 10:00AM Conclusion.  QA Time.  Wii Remote - 40 bucks.  Nunchuck - 20 bucks.  Majority of storage on SD card.  Zelda gamecube launches December 11th.  
 9:58AM No long bootup process for Wii channels.  Concluding now.  
 9:57AM Internet channel.  Opera browser must be downloaded with Wii points!  
 9:55AM Back to Reggie to show us a few more channels.  When connected to the Internet, users can get a news channel and a weather channel. (Not THE Weather Channel).  Wii Message board also available.  Send messages and photos to other Wii owners, family members, internet users, or cell phones.  Wii has a calendar to help organize the family.  
 9:52AM Photo Channel.  View your digital photos on your TV through your Wii.  All transfers done with the SD cards.  Really cool view of all your photos at once.  They are really tiny.  Slideshow of NOA shown.  Pictures of people with Mario.  Slide show animations are very cool.  Perrin with a Mario mustache.  Shot of secret Zelda pictures (a joke).  Reggie playing DS.  Movies also playable.  You can use the Wii remote to make them puzzles, and draw on them.  
 9:50AM Transportation next.  Miis can be transferred to your Wii remote.  All of your favorite Miis can be on your Wii Remote.  You can populate your own Wii console with Miis.  Your Miis can go to your friends' consoles.  Your Miis go into Wii Sports, Wario Ware, and other Wii software compatible with the Mii channel.  
 9:48AM Mii channel.  Digital 3D charicature of anyone you want to create.  Create by either choosing a look alike or starting from scratch.  He's creating Samuel L Jackson.  Head shape first, then hair.  Eyebrows next.  He looks angry.  Eyes next.  Hah, he gave him eye shadow.  Now that's gone.  Weird half circle eyes were chosen.  Nose next.  Then lips.  Finishes it off with a Pulp Fiction mustache.  
 9:44AM Downloads stored locally and can be played forever after purchase.  Other channels later.  (Sorry about the formatting, he's jumping all over the place.)  
 9:43AM Wii console is connected to the TV and left in standby mode.  User will see an initial page of 12 Wii Channels but it is expandable.  
  • Disc Channel - Where you go to play games.
  •  
  • Wii Shop Channel - Home of the virtual console.  (Zelda 1, Mario World, Donkey Kong, and Mario 64 on Launch, grow by 10 titles a month for the entirety of 2007.  500 Wii points for NES games, 800 Wii Points for SNES games, 1000 Wii points for N64.  2000 points = 20 dollars.
  •  
     9:41AM Wii Channels.  Not just virtual console but a total effort to redefine who will use video games in the future.  
     9:40AM Third Party talk.  No surprises.  Trauma Center is a launch title.  All the UbiSoft titles still be advertised as launch titles.  Third party quotes from EA, Activision, Sega, and Ubisoft.  "Approximately 30 Wii games this year, half of those at launch."  First party titles - $49.99  
     9:37AM If we played Zelda all day for the entire 6 hours we wouldn't scratch the surface of Zelda.  Zelda and Excite Truck ONLY first party launch titles it seems.  
     9:36AM "Widest range of launch titles in the history of video games."  Legend of Zelda: TP launch title.  Excite Truck launch title.  First time ever to have a Zelda title available on launch day.  Reggies is trying to kiss butt by talking about the Yankees.  ;)  
     9:35AM Wii Sports includes Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Bowling, and Boxing.  Wii SPORTS INCLUDED!  
     9:33AM Bowling is "simple and intuitive."  You can put spin on the ball.  Back to Reggie.  
     9:31AM Package comes with just one Wii remote and one Nunchuck attachment.  40 Demo units on hand with more than two dozen playable games  Some are brand new, some are completely different.  Eric Peterson to demonstrate Wii Bowling.  
     9:30AM November 19th is the launch date.  (Who guessed that? ;) )  $249.99 retail price.  Only white.  Four million Wii consoles shipped world wide.  "Americas will receive the largest share of that total."  
     9:27AM Touch Generations sold more than New Super Mario Bros.  Nintendo WiFi Connection - More than 2 million unique users.  Wii Remote will change everything.... nothing new yet.  
     9:25AM Reggie wants to bring gaming back to the masses.  Touch Generations talk...  
     9:22AM "We will reveal all relavent information."  
     9:21AM Here comes Reggie.  
     9:19AM Perrin is on stage starting.

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
    ---------------------
    :: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • Score: 8
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 04:22:29 AM »
    REGGIE!

Good job Pale and PGC!

Offline amost

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    RE:Press Conference Live Blog
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 04:30:50 AM »
    i dont recall ever hearing news about wii region protection... please be like the DS, please be like the DS, please be like the DS...

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:36:03 AM »
    oh man this is soooooo cool... i just came online and its happening RIGHT NOW! interesting news! a bit more $$$ than i thought it would be though....

weather and news is cool... also

cool!!!

im excited ...
    Fin.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:37:37 AM »
    EXCITE TRUCK FOR LAUNCH!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
    • Score: -9
      • View Profile
      • Continuity
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:38:06 AM »
    Only one remote packed in? LAME.

Where's Metroid?
    Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
    NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 04:46:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
    Only one remote packed in? LAME.

Where's Metroid?

Did you really expect two?  That would have been awesome no doubt, but systems just don't come with 2 controllers anymore.  
    Now playing:  Animal Crossing: City Folk, Civilization Revolution DS, Quake Live, Onslaught, Star Wars Best of PC

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
    • Score: -9
      • View Profile
      • Continuity
    « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 04:48:13 AM »
    For that price, it should include two.  
    Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
    NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 04:53:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
    For that price, it should include two.

I agree.  
    Now playing:  Animal Crossing: City Folk, Civilization Revolution DS, Quake Live, Onslaught, Star Wars Best of PC

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 04:55:03 AM »
    Ouch.  $250 for one remote and nunchuck?  Agreed with Evan.  This sucks.
    "Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 04:56:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Pryopizm
    Ouch.  $250 for one remote and nunchuck?  Agreed with Evan.  This sucks.

No, the Wii system is included as well.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 04:57:48 AM »
    Hurrrr

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 05:00:46 AM »
    I really like the sound of the Mii channel stuff.  Very cool!

Offline Kharon Alpha

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 05:01:54 AM »
    For that price we're getting a game that the Japanese will have to pay the equivalent of $250 to get with their system, so that everybody who buys a Wii has something to play for Wii, not just on Wii. We're getting a game, the system, and a full "basic" Wii controller (Remote+Nunchuk); likely we'll pay $15-20 for the Classic-style controller and each additional Nunchuk, $30-35 for the remote, and we already know $50 for first-party games. Who here doesn't plan to buy any games on launch day? Who here isn't planning to buy Twilight Princess, whether for the GameCube or for the Wii, when it comes out?

We're probably saving over buying all of those elements individually thanks to the benefits of bundling, and the price is no higher than they promised us it would be -- it is under $250, before any applicable sales taxes, shipping costs, etc.

Offline nemyhlovecraft

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 05:03:20 AM »
    I'm not entirely certain what you were saying there. Did that make sense to anyone else?
    The backwards cow says: Oom.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 05:04:28 AM »

Zelda gamecube launces December 11th.

WTF, WHY? That doesn't make ANY SENSE for it to come after the Wii version. Pure greed to force people into getting the Wii version.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 05:05:05 AM »
    Kharon, if WiiSports didn't come with the system, I sure as hell wouldn't shell out $50 for it.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 05:06:31 AM »
    He's trying to claim that it's a good deal, like any good Nintonedo fanboy!

Just had to confirm all the ugly details were true.  At least they packed some last-minute sports into that game.
    That's my opinion, not yours.
    Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline amost

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 05:08:31 AM »
    please ask if its region free

Offline nemyhlovecraft

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 05:08:46 AM »
    See, now you've done it. The idiots are gonna crawl out of the woodwork.
    The backwards cow says: Oom.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 05:09:44 AM »
    "10:05AM Widescreen capable question - all first party titles are. Graphical power question - You'll say wow. Normal vague talk."

Is "You'll say wow," officially a resolution?  

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 05:10:27 AM »
    Ouch, the additional remote price is a letdown too. $40 for remote, + ANOTHER $20 for the nunchuck? ouch. That's $60 right there for the basic goods.
    Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Kharon Alpha

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 05:11:07 AM »
    Maybe you wouldn't, but that's still what Nintendo would be charging for it, Pryo. Also, I was a bit short on the Remote cost...

And what I was saying is that we're getting about the same deal for the system + Wii Sports as the Japanese are getting based on TODAY'S exchange rate between the Yen and the American Dollar. In fact, taxes not considered (because I don't know what japanese sales tax is like), we're getting a better deal, by about $3.00. Would it be nice if it was just a free Wii game of your choice? Sure, but how exactly would they enforce that? Wii Sports is something we can all pick up and play (even if it's tricky for multi-player unless you have your Mii set up), even if we can only afford the core system at launch and not any extra games. I don't really think Wii Sports is going to scare anyone off from buying the system.

I am not trying to say this is a GOOD deal, just that it is ABOUT EQUAL TO the price of the system and the same game in Japan. Once they stop selling a bundled game (assuming they ever do), the price will probably drop to the $200-220 range.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 05:12:30 AM »
    I will enjoy seeing Wii Sports forced on some jaded gamers.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 05:12:59 AM »
    I wonder if anyone's going to ask about DVD playback.
    Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)