Author Topic: RE: Press Conference Live Blog  (Read 13453 times)

Offline nemyhlovecraft

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Press Conference Live Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 05:13:22 AM »
Except that $40 is what you'd pay now for a Wavebird, and $10 more for a wireless X360 controller. Agreed though about charging extra for the nunchuk. I'm sorry to say, but I'm a bit disappointed at some of this news.
The backwards cow says: Oom.

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
RE:Press Conference Live Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 05:13:43 AM »
I really think $250 is overpriced, but I was planning on buying Wii Sports anyway.  For people who weren't I can see why they are dissapointed.  I think Wii Sports looks like fun and a perfect way to show off your new Wii system to friends and family, they can jump right in a give it a try without having to even know how to play video games.
Now playing:  Animal Crossing: City Folk, Civilization Revolution DS, Quake Live, Onslaught, Star Wars Best of PC

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 05:17:58 AM »
Is $250 higher than I expected?  Sure.  Is it unreasonable?  I don't think so.  You're getting Wii Sports for free, which is unheard of these days.

Not to keep the rumor mill rumbling, but remember ... The N64 was supposed to launch at $249 as well, and dropped to $199 a mere three days before launch.  Supposedly, it was to ensure strong attach rates for Mario 64.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo pull the same trick with Zelda.

I just hope Wii Boxing lets you use two Wii-motes.  

The prices seem a bit high for the controllers, but think about this ... would you really need more than one nunchuck?  I think most splitscreen multiplayer games would only need the Wii-mote (Madden being a notable exception).
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Tindermax

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 05:18:24 AM »
http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10307/

here is my proof that we shouldnt condemn it....yet that we should wait until tommorow everythign we here aobut europe or north america is pure speculation. no one knows anything concrete yet. Agian wait to condemn till tommrow niht then free rain for all agian all speculation as of now nothing is proven or solid for us and europe and that is a reliable source.
yeah.....

Offline Fortyseven

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 05:18:50 AM »
I'd like to see someone ask if the Wiimote can be connected to the console to conserve battery life (or in lieu of batteries).  The apparent reliance on batteries is killing my enthusiasm.

Offline nemyhlovecraft

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 05:21:44 AM »
First, this is NOA making these announcements, and is therefore most definately NOT speculation. Also, I think the Q&A is over.

Offline Tindermax

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 05:22:39 AM »
if you cna find me one thing that says nintedo of america has said this please be my guest and i will most definetly back down
yeah.....

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 05:22:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Tindermax
http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10307/

here is my proof that we shouldnt condemn it....yet that we should wait until tommorow everythign we here aobut europe or north america is pure speculation. no one knows anything concrete yet. Agian wait to condemn till tommrow niht then free rain for all agian all speculation as of now nothing is proven or solid for us and europe and that is a reliable source.

Are you seriously suggesting that we should not trust our own reporter live-blogging from NOA's press conference, and instead trust the information coming from a website that live-blogged the WRONG FRICKIN' PRESS CONFERENCE?

Offline amost

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 05:23:45 AM »
do you think the freeloader will work like all the other gc games work? i guess it depends on the internal drivers... but.. it IS based on gc, right?

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 05:24:52 AM »
9:30AM November 19th is the launch date. (Who guessed that? ) $249.99 retail price. Only white. Four million Wii consoles shipped world wide. "Americas will receive the largest share of that total."

There you go.  Straight from the press conference held by NOA.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline nemyhlovecraft

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 05:26:18 AM »

if you cna find me one thing that says nintedo of america has said this please be my guest and i will most definetly back down

Yeah, seriously, did you happen to check out that this thread is connected to a news story???? Did you read any of it? Did you comprehend? DO YOU SEE?! DO YOU SEE?!

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 05:26:25 AM »
"Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an MSRP in the US of just $249.99. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchukâ„¢ controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc, which anyone can play using simple physical movements, experienced or not."

And that's from the press release.  Also from NOA.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Tindermax

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 05:29:20 AM »
k ill concede for now but if its different come tommrow night im rubbing it in your faces if it isnt different or worse tommorow night i will do the unthinkable BUY A PS3 or just butn 600 in a bonfire i think the burning would lend me more and better use of my 600 dollars  
yeah.....

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 05:29:41 AM »
$250 really isn't that high. People that don't live on the internet seem to be enjoying it.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 05:30:00 AM »
actually, that press release is NOE
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Kharon Alpha

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2006, 05:30:09 AM »
I guess it is possible that this last-minute price-cut could happen. I won't rely on it, though, and I wouldn't suggest anyone else to do so either. And, yes, part of my point is that we're still getting a "free" game with the system -- what other "next-gen" system comes with a bundled game?

I don't mind that the Remote needs batteries, because you can just get rechargeable batteries, and I'm sure Nintendo, or some third party, will make a rechargeable battery pack and dock that will function well (and mesh smoothly with the look/feel of the system). I'm sure the batteries will be a standard size (presumably AA), which means you can go out to a battery store or a bulk goods store and stock up on all the batteries you'll need for your Wii, probably for about the price of an additional Nunchuk or Remote or both. And that amount of batteris can probably even cover multiple Remotes, once the batteries they probably come packed with wear out.

The price isn't that bad, even though it's not ideal. This means I still need to save over $200 for my Wii (stupid costs of owning a car...) in two months, if I'm even here at launch date. I may be in army boot camp then, which means I'll have to wait until sometime after I'm done with boot camp to get my Wii.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2006, 05:35:06 AM »

k ill concede for now but if its different come tommrow night im rubbing it in your faces if it isnt different or worse tommorow night i will do the unthinkable BUY A PS3 or just butn 600 in a bonfire i think the burning would lend me more and better use of my 600 dollars

Or you could just buy a Wii and Zelda and still have $300 left to burn.

Stop trolling.  Consider this your one and only warning.  I haven't hefted my almighty ban stick in quite some time, but I'm sure I could dust it off for old time's sake.

Offline Fortyseven

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2006, 05:38:49 AM »
I just found something.  Go here -> http://mediasrc.wii.com/.

The North American page is active.  I hit reload on the regular Wii.com page thinking they'd JUST updated it, but apparently not.  

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:18 AM »
Looks like it's still being uploaded and activated.
"wow."

Offline Fortyseven

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2006, 05:42:05 AM »
Yeah, I'm noticing that as well.  Hehe.  Nifty.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2006, 05:49:22 AM »
There we go, site available.
"wow."

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2006, 05:50:35 AM »
Found this at IGN, apparently with the Japanese launch, there will be a game called "Starting out with Wii" (English translation), which will include another Wii-mote, plus nine mini-games (including that Duck Hunt-like demo).  It's roughly $40 (4800 Yen) so you basically get the minigames free with the controller, if that's how you want to look at it.

I bet this is the reason we're getting Wii Sports packed in.

Super Paper Mario is now officially on the list of Wii titles as well.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
yeah, that's all on the Japanese site
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2006, 06:05:32 AM »
ohhh....pretty interesting...it's north AND SOUTH america now

finally, good prices get?

(the only disapointing thing is the prices of the wiimote and nunchaku, and no MP3 at launch....)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2006, 06:26:48 AM »
I expected the $250 system price point.  However, I'm very disappointed in the expensive controllers (what happened to competitive pricing there, Nintendo?) and how Nintendo is holding developers of multiplayer games hostage (encouraging them to only use the remote).  Even so, there will be a good number that use both (Super Mario Strikers for one).  MP3 not being at launch is OK though unexpected, but this Zelda GC nonsense is pure manipulation.

Also, Nintendo really should be packing in two remotes so developers can rely on two sticks for single player games.  Oh yeah, and have I mentioned I am so friggin underwhelmed by Wii Sports?

Wii certainly is not priced as a "why not" purchase for currrent Xbox360 owners as we were positioned to believe.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi