Author Topic: one whole year  (Read 4431 times)

Offline batmaniswatching

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
one whole year
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:28:48 PM »
NWR,
My wife and I are starting a project this year in which we try making pretty much everything we eat from scratch at home.

As a gamer, I'd prefer not to be pulled away from my Wii into the kitchen constantly, so what are some things that you guys and girls make from scratch quickly at home?  I'm trying to think of foods that we can just grab real quick so I can get back to the rest of life.  I'd love to try recipes and food ideas from other Nintendo peoples.  I know Power Steak + Keel Mango is tasty, but what else?

Thanks!

Greg

PS if anyone wants to check out posts about how we're doing on the project, you can go to onewholeyear.com (I'm keeping that info down here since I'm looking for recipes, not a plug for my random site).

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:one whole year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
Ants on a log.  If you don't like ants on a log there's something wrong with you.

What do you mean "from scratch"?  Does that entail making your own peanut butter?  Growing your own peanut plants?  Mixing your own hydrogen and oxygen to water your peanut plants?  Or can you continue to buy Peter Pan at your local grocery story?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: one whole year
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
Yeah, exactly how "from scratch" is "from scratch?" You mean, going completely home-cooked?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline batmaniswatching

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
I think I've already eaten ants on a log 3 times in the first 6 days of the year.  So good call with that!

From scratch for us meaning that we're taking the most basic ingredients to cook with that we can get our hands on in almost every case.  Like, we're not going to make our own cheese (although we'll look for more natural versions of cheese), but we are going to make our own bread.  We will get the peanut butter from the store where you can just grind the nuts in the machine directly into a butter, since that's as basic as we can find.

I guess you could look at it as the vast majority of everything we eat starts with singular ingredients.  

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
I think he means no going out to eat . . .

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
So home made snack/on-the-go food? A good technique I've found is to prepare some food before hand then store it individually the freezer or fridge for quick access. That way instead of tossing in a store bought microwave burrito, you pull a healthier one out and reheat it.

Fruit is of course a good snack, as is beef jerkey. We have a butcher behind where I work that makes their own beef jerkey.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »
Try a one year fast

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
Homemade pasta and sauce, perhaps? (though that might not be quick/easy enough for you.) I'm fond of this sauce recipe.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:27:06 PM »
yum ants on a log is good stuff.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
So wait, are we allowed to suggest recipes too cook as well? What kind of prep time is allowed? Is it only finger foods?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »
You could try making croque monsieurs. It's very simple, yummy and has a fancy name.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 04:32:24 AM »
If you have/invest in a grill, salmon, chicken, and beef goes fast.  You can match that with rice or whatever you like.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 05:13:39 AM »
Risotto is a good, filling side dish.  But would you need to make your own stock for it?  If so, that takes a long time, and I have no idea how to do that.  I just make it with store-bought stock and wine.

Making homemade pasta really isn't that hard.  You don't even need a pasta machine if you don't mind kneading by hand for 10 minutes.

Pizza dough is easy to make and can be frozen, so you can make a few batches and defrost when needed.

Hmm, all my ideas are starchy foods...
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
I got a pretty nice catalog of recipes, but most of them do take at least a half an hour to cook.

So if you want some fancy meals from time to time, give me a P.M. and I'll let you know.  
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »

Ants on a log. If you don't like ants on a log there's something wrong with you.
Seriously? That sounds disgusting..

Maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of peanut butter, though.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 01:14:09 AM »
Ohh...

Tuna fish sandwiches take 15 minutes to prepare.

Just take some canned tuna, dump it in a bowl, mix some mayonnaise, mustard, diced celery and tomatoes and some salt and pepper to taste and your good.

Among the above, I also like raisins, crushed walnuts, paprika, a little cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and a little soy sauce and ginger, and finally wasabi.

Yeah I know, a little complex, but it is worth it if you have the ingredients around (wasabi comes in handy for many recipes, plus a little bit goes a long, so I suggest getting a tube for $4).  
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:37:24 PM »
If you know how to make a pizza bae (i've heard it's pretty easy, flour, milk and eg and whatnot) try homemade pizzas, they're beyond simple. You get the base, slather it in tomato paste, put all your favorite veges (seriously anything works, even broccoli, carrots and whatnot) and meat. Cover with cheese. Then leave it in the oven until you can smell it.

Tuna pie is a favorite recipe of mine, that while it takes a while, is dead simple.
Tuna, corn kernals, chopped onion, 1 egg and grated cheese (optional) between two bits of shortbread/puff pastry. Bake until you can smell it. Just remember to stab few holes int he pastry to let it breathe.  
pietriots.com
Calenture