Author Topic: It's nearly a year later, and...  (Read 16575 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: It's nearly a year later, and...
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2007, 04:42:08 AM »
Nintendo DID get Mario DDR out of the deal, which sold pretty well.

That's why I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop here.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE:It's nearly a year later, and...
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2007, 06:36:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Nintendo DID get Mario DDR out of the deal, which sold pretty well.

That's why I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop here.

I'm guessing they are waiting to announce anything new in this regard (if anything new exists) for after MGS4 is released on the PS3.   Most people assume that a 360 port of it will happen, but they are waiting for it to be released on the PS3 before announcing it.  Maybe Konami is doing this with a Wii MGS game as well, just so MGS4 gets all the hype and another MGS game does not interfere with that hype.

Offline Grant10k

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2007, 07:06:03 AM »
I think you guys are looking at it the wrong way. SSBB is not giving free advertising to MGS4, MGS4 is giving free advertising to SSBB!
PlayStations are known for having Metal Gear games, it's what they do. That's a FACT. Nintendo's are NOT known for having Metal Gear games (unless your are old school). If you go up to someone and say, "Have you checked out that Metal Gear game for that Nintendo system? It's awsome!", they will respond, "Oh, you meant to say either PlayStation or PlayStation 2. Clearly you did not mean to say 'Nintendo', as my in-brain Googleing of '+Nintendo +Metal_Gear -Twin_Snakes' turned up 0 results".
The only think that might happen is that ads for MGS4 will give some free exposure to SSBB, but more likely they won't effect each other very much.

As for Kojima's evil Nintendo comments, I think It's a simple matter of putting Business Sense before personal endeavors. If a game company was pitching an idea to Nintendo, "This game will be the next unholy union of Goldeneye, Halo, Tribes 2, and WoW in multilayer awsomeocity, and here is PROOF, you cannot fail and will make trillions of dollars." Nintendo is not going to say, "Yeah, well you called us 'Poopie heads' 5 years ago, and now you want us to mutually benefit each other? Go away, good luck finding a publisher who wants to make money".

A good business person isn't going to care about some guy calling it's product a lunch box. All that matters is what ends up on retail shelves (or rather what flies off retail shelves after marketing). If a picture of snake on the box helps sell 1,000 more copies of SSBB, it will be worth it.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2007, 05:50:28 PM »
I think DDR Wii is more important than either of those games.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2007, 12:27:57 AM »
Right now he may be focusing on MGS4 on PS3, but I'm quite certain his future projects will be Wii bound.
The PS3 is a bomb with, at best, the potential to be the Gamecube of this generation IF IT'S LUCKY. Then there's 360 which is non-existant in Japan, which makes it an unlikely choice for a developer like Kojima who seems very loyal to the gamers of his homeland. It will probably get a MGS4 port, but after that, I suspect Kojima will focus on more original projects that will be a better fit on the Wii. Unless MGS4 somehow miraculously makes a profit, I doubt Konami will even want there to be a MGS5.
MGS4 may have been his cash-cow for some years but titles like Boktai and Lunar Knights prove Kojima has a very Miyamoto-like interest in developing more unique titles. I'm sure he's looking forward to bring something like that to the Wii.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2007, 04:12:16 AM »
I still think the effectiveness of Brawl as an advertising tool is being way overestimated here.  Oooh, they put a song from Guns of the Patriots in there!  I know where my next $660 is going!

Will Konami return the favour somehow?  Maybe.  We'll never really be able to say because most Japanese devs are gravitating towards Wii anyway.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2007, 05:23:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Grant10k  Nintendo is not going to say, "Yeah, well you called us 'Poopie heads' 5 years ago, and now you want us to mutually benefit each other? Go away, good luck finding a publisher who wants to make money".

Actually, he ragged on them around the launch of the Wii when he said that it was crap compared to the PS3.

And as for being mutually beneficial, aside from attracting a few MGS fans, I don't see much in the way of Nintendo's benefit.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2007, 05:32:32 AM »
I do think that Snake in Brawl will attract more MGS fans to Smash Bros than vice versa.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2007, 06:58:28 AM »
I agree (since the PS3+MGS is $660 goddamn dollars), but if they added Snake because they wanted the MGS fans, that opens the door for adding Cloud for the FF fans and Tony Vercetti for the GTA fans and Master Chief for the Halo fans, etc.

I think there was a reason beyond just wanting the fans of MGS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2007, 07:13:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I agree (since the PS3+MGS is $660 goddamn dollars), but if they added Snake because they wanted the MGS fans, that opens the door for adding Cloud for the FF fans and Tony Vercetti for the GTA fans and Master Chief for the Halo fans, etc.

I think there was a reason beyond just wanting the fans of MGS.

I must explain something. What you mean is Cloud for the Final Fantasy VII fans. Final Fantasy fans like all the FF games and started playing them since the NES. FF VII fans are mainly fangirls who love pretty emo men and fanboys who played FF VII and instantly declared it the best game ever.

Just a heads up.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2007, 08:26:21 AM »
Heh, fair enough.

Edgar Figaro for the REAL FF fans, then.