Author Topic: Factor 5 dissapointed in developers effort in the Wii's graphics  (Read 12837 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
RE: Factor 5 dissapointed in developers effort in the Wii's graphics
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
Shame on everyone for not remembering that the Dreamcast was 128 bit.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Terranigma Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Factor 5 dissapointed in developers effort in the Wii's graphics
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Plugabugz
Developers look at the Wii as glass half empty.

70% less costs than a 3 title? Great, 70% less effort to boot!

It can't be helped. These developers also have 70% less talented than Nintendo.

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2007, 10:41:14 AM »
The only thing 128-bit about the Dreamcast was it's vector engine.
Maybe some part of the PowerVr chip???

Otherwise the SH4 cpu used was 32/64-bit like every other cpu from that generation.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
Mario Galaxy is "Next Gen," whatever that means nowadays.  Galford fails.

I never thought I would say this but . . . QFT Dequello, QFT.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »
I remember when "Next Gen" meant Playstation, N64 and Saturn.  The term seems to refer to the newest generation of consoles that we have any knowledge of.  So our current consoles will be "Next Gen" until their successors are revealed in which case those consoles will become "Next Gen".

Bits made it so easy.  You had an easy name for a generation of consoles.  I guess Nintendo goofed it up by having a 64 bit console competing with 32 bit consoles.  What do you call that?  32/64 bit?  No wonder the term "Next Gen" was invented.  Sony, Nintendo and MS should just stamp "256 bit" on their consoles, regardless of whether it makes sense to or not, and then we have an easy name and we'll all retroactively associate the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation as 128 bit.  Then next time around stamp 512 bit on the consoles.  All is solved.

Wikipedia has some stuff about first, second, etc. generations but I've never heard anyone use those terms.  It's also a little goofy since the Atari 2600 and 5200 are both in the same generation and the first generation consists of stuff like those home PONG systems which aren't really included as videogame consoles.  Having the games be seperate from the hardware is usually a important part of what a console is or else stuff like plug-and-play controllers and Game & Watches are all included.  With the Atari 2600 being the first machine to fit this description I think if you said "first generation" people would think of that.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »
The 2600(VCS) and 5200 are in the same generation because the 5200 was a complete flop and the 2600 actually lived on past the death of the 5200. And while I'm not sure I'd count Pong as a console, I would certainly call the Odyssey a console, and it's not that technically different from Atari's Pong (nor creatively, as Ralph Baer and Magnavox successfully sued Atari for copyright infringement because Pong was virtually identical to one of the games built into the Odyssey that Nolan Bushnell had seen at a trade show before "creating" Pong.)

In a related note, I wholeheartedly recommend the book "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Stephen Kent to anyone interested in the history of the medium. It covers from the earliest pinball machines through about 6 years ago and has some very interesting accounts of the events that led the industry to become what it is today.

J.P. Corbran

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:18 PM »

Originally posted by: insanolord
The 2600(VCS) and 5200 are in the same generation because the 5200 was a complete flop and the 2600 actually lived on past the death of the 5200. And while I'm not sure I'd count Pong as a console, I would certainly call the Odyssey a console, and it's not that technically different from Atari's Pong (nor creatively, as Ralph Baer and Magnavox successfully sued Atari for copyright infringement because Pong was virtually identical to one of the games built into the Odyssey that Nolan Bushnell had seen at a trade show before "creating" Pong.)

In a related note, I wholeheartedly recommend the book "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Stephen Kent to anyone interested in the history of the medium. It covers from the earliest pinball machines through about 6 years ago and has some very interesting accounts of the events that led the industry to become what it is today.

That is a great book, I've had it for years!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2007, 12:50:59 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

So have I, I'm currently in the process of reading through it again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2007, 06:03:15 AM »
"The 2600(VCS) and 5200 are in the same generation because the 5200 was a complete flop and the 2600 actually lived on past the death of the 5200."

So the PS2 and PS3 must be in the same generation as well.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2007, 06:21:15 AM »
Wikipedia calls this the "Seventh Generation." Not a perfect distinction, but it's more practical than "next."

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2007, 06:25:16 AM »
It can't be the seventh generation.

The Virtual Boy jumped like 85 generations by itself.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I remember when "Next Gen" meant Playstation, N64 and Saturn.  The term seems to refer to the newest generation of consoles that we have any knowledge of.  So our current consoles will be "Next Gen" until their successors are revealed in which case those consoles will become "Next Gen".
Our current consoles will be Next Gen until the PS2 finally dies.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2007, 01:10:34 PM »
I proclaim this the fifth generation of the second age.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2007, 08:07:52 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Yeah and then we can get yet another flying game, maybe they will slap a unicorn skin on Rogue Leader's X-Wing and call it a day.

DO NOT ENCOURAGE FACTOR 5 TO GO ON THE GROUND!  It has never worked.  The least fail was their Episode 1 game back on the N64.  

Eggebrecht is more or less crazy.  I think Lair really did a number on him, as he has become prone to shooting his mouth off as of late.  I have no doubt that he is correct, the Wii is capable of a lot more.  However, some of the blame for this goes on Nintendo.  "The Wii allows cheaper games to be made."  Yep, just ask Ubisoft!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report