Author Topic: "Is the TV you are watching now a wide screen TV?"  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:"Is the TV you are watching now a wide screen TV?"
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I never knew. Forgive me.

No worries.
I do own an SD widescreen tv in the living room but I play on a 15" LCD in my bedroom (lack of space *sigh*).
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 10:21:45 AM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
This is easy:  because multiple Miis can vote, the users with Widescreen TVs have a larger Mii/Wii ratio.  My roommate voted on my TV, a widescreen, and so did I.  This is the first poll I can think of where all Miis on a Wii would cast the same vote, and I think that had a strong effect on the outcome.
You're right that chances are all Miis on a system would likely vote the same way.  But why would widescreen television users have more Miis than those using a standard television?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: "Is the TV you are watching now a wide screen TV?"
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
Yeah, widescreen TVs are generally more expensive and likely to be used for households and families.  More users would be likely to vote on a shared system, because it can be a group activity.

Just about everywhere I've seen widescreens in a home is in a shared area, while personal screens are typically 4:3, so it makes sense for that to happen.  IE, I have a widescreen downstairs, but I personally have two 4:3 screens in my possession, while my roommate has a single 4:3.  However, the Wii is connected to the widescreen, and both of us voted for widescreen.  So that's three 4:3 screens for one widescreen, yet two widescreen votes.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 10:31:38 AM »
Widescreen TVs have appeared in fictional Japanese households in anime TV shows since the mid-90s (see: Tenchi-Muyo!).
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 10:37:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The "the black bars cut off the top and bottom" people aren't online with their Wii.

Those "the black bars cut off the top and bottom" people are the reason for laws in the U.S. that forbid letterboxing on broadcast  TV (a lot of the time including cable and satellite) and thus made severe overscan a problem. The reason behind the laws where that since people had paid for every inch of their screen, every inch of the screen has to be used by broadcast signals. I am not kidding. I think that they might also have been the reason for there being very few pre-HD Widescreen TVs available in the U.S..
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 11:08:07 AM »
question: has Nintendo ever shown one of their games in an SD TV? at all?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
Mario 64?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »

Originally posted by: dubnobasswithmyheadman
And reported you have been. If I see anymore of this garbage from you, I don't think I need to tell you what's going to happen.

- The Management

Aww man...The good stuff is always erased after I find out about it.

What did he say that got him reported?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Mario 64?

you win for now...

Since I will soon give up and expend the absurd ammount of almost $500 to get this damn thing because I'm a sad fanboy, I'm actually interested in how the console will look on my TV, isn't there any videos of it anywhere? I've tried to find them but apparently they don't exist.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »
I made a joking comment about liking to break HTML tables. Seriously, I did not know that was gonna happen when I registered this name. I might just have to create a new user to avoid this kind of backlash.  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2007, 01:10:04 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

Mario 64?

you win for now...

Since I will soon give up and expend the absurd ammount of almost $500 to get this damn thing because I'm a sad fanboy, I'm actually interested in how the console will look on my TV, isn't there any videos of it anywhere? I've tried to find them but apparently they don't exist.

Plz describe what you're trying to determine.  RE4:Wii still looks pretty DAMN nice on my 10-year old 27" Sony on S-Video.  So did Toilet Princess and Super Papel Mario.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Pro, an Audio/Videophile of your stature deserves a better television.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2007, 02:59:46 PM »
I'll put a donation button in my sig.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

Mario 64?

you win for now...

Plz describe what you're trying to determine.  RE4:Wii still looks pretty DAMN nice on my 10-year old 27" Sony on S-Video.  So did Toilet Princess and Super Papel Mario.

Developer's priority. are the GUIs and the design in general more suited to wide-screen or normal screen? how about the position of enemies? range of weapons? that kind of stuff, specially for shooters like Metroid. it might seem really trivial, but I pay almost $100 per game, I have all the right to be as nitpicky as I want. I assume everything is done with old screens in mind and widescreen only used to show nice panoramic views, but you never know.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »
I'd expect the fullscreen HUD to take up the same amount of space seen in the previous Prime games.  The widescreen perspective appears (from the previews) to provide the same viewing distance, with the addition of extra viewing space on the sides.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Plus the poll is biased as it relies on people who can actually get a wireless router working with their Wii.  Those people are likely not non-gamers and are more tech-savy and thus more interested in widescreen TVs.  The "the black bars cut off the top and bottom" people aren't online with their Wii.
The poll is also biased because 1 person can vote 6 times. Just register 6 Mii's in the channel. So don't think Nintendo is doing any polling or marketing research with these polls. There just fun questions to ask, nothing more.

"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude