Author Topic: Grindhouse  (Read 25866 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Grindhouse
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
Damaan and Ian both express my views on that movie pretty well. Nothing much to say except how AWESOME Planet Terror was ;)

"I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge" FTW
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »
From what I understand, the DVD versions (and presumably the BRD versions, too) are expanded greatly beyond what was shown in theaters.

A little research on IMDb shows that Death Proof was 90 minutes in the theater and 114 minutes on DVD.  Planet Terror was 95 minutes in the theater and 105 minutes on DVD.

It seems like the theatrical versions are much better than the "director's cut" versions because they cut out a lot of the parts that drag on.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »
Yeah i heard of that at time of the dvd release, we might of even discussed it here before this bump...

I'm not sure if i said it then, but it bears repeating:

Why would you want a LONGER version of Death Proof ;)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
You guys are strange....

Death Proof is by far the better film. It oozes Tarantino, which is only a good thing. Secondly, it's an hilarious movie and Rosario Dawson's in it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
You guys are strange....

Death Proof is by far the better film. It oozes Tarantino, which is only a good thing. Secondly, it's an hilarious movie and Rosario Dawson's in it.

It oozes his annoying side, where he talks to much and he makes his characters mirror that. I enjoy most of the mans films, but listening to him talk makes me envy the deaf and this movie did the same for me.

By the way, you may no longer call me Lil Wiggles.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »
You guys are strange....

It oozes his annoying side, where he talks to much and he makes his characters mirror that. I enjoy most of the mans films, but listening to him talk makes me envy the deaf and this movie did the same for me.

By the way, you may no longer call me Lil Wiggles.

Kurt Russells the man in that movie, though. He is hilarious!

Uh oh! What happened? LOL

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 10:39:02 PM »
Deathproof bored me to death.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2009, 05:09:02 AM »
i think Kashogi and me are of the same opinion. The movies is about style. The way they talk, the way things go down. It does have alot of conversation, but its interesting conversation, but what i pay attention to more is what he does with the camera. I assume Tarantino has some foot fetish. watch the movie and count how much feet is in it. Then when thats done and your on the advertisement section, look at all the product placement jokes. There's a ton of things going on in the movie, very subtle things.

I can't wait for Inglorious Basterds to come out. Can't wait to see Pitt working with Tarantino, especially after I've been watching Band of Brothers.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:24 AM »
i think Kashogi and me are of the same opinion. The movies is about style. The way they talk, the way things go down. It does have alot of conversation, but its interesting conversation, but what i pay attention to more is what he does with the camera. I assume Tarantino has some foot fetish. watch the movie and count how much feet is in it. Then when thats done and your on the advertisement section, look at all the product placement jokes. There's a ton of things going on in the movie, very subtle things.

I can't wait for Inglorious Basterds to come out. Can't wait to see Pitt working with Tarantino, especially after I've been watching Band of Brothers.

I noticed the foot thing and it made the movie worse for me. Just not my thing.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
There was too much boring lady talk. I'm not saying the movie ain't good in general, and I can see some being happy with it, but it just didn't kick me in the nuts like Planet Terror did even though they are completely different movies.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
Sure they were completely different style movies, but you'd think going to see a movie about some maniac who kills people (women, mostly i suppose) by wrecking his car with them inside while he survives in his lil saftey zone, would be pretty bad ass or as you put it, a kick in the nuts, but it wasn't.

The saddest part is that it started out really strong. The intro was great, how a mysterious stranger walks into a bar, picks up a girl and then tortures her. Then that last scene when he plays chicken with the other car.. that was awesome! What happens after all that was completely unexpected and pretty boring, IMO. It's like, going to see the Friday the 13th remake next month, expecting to see some pretty gruesome and hopefully imaginative ways for these damn kids to get killed... and instead theres one sweet scene, followed by 80 mins of teen drama at a lake, then they somehow kill Jason.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2009, 02:10:51 PM »
I think you took this movie WAY too seriously. Which is odd considering how cheesy Planet Terror was.

I was laughing most of the time.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
I think you took this movie WAY too seriously. Which is odd considering how cheesy Planet Terror was.

I was laughing most of the time.

Nope, I didn't actually. I wanted something as outrageous and cheesy (in a good way!) as Planet Terror and those fake coming attractions, instead i got crap coming out of peoples mouths. At least the girls were easy on the eyes, but thats the most fun i had during those 90 mins.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »
Well whatever....

PT sucks ass. I literally turned it off (by forwarding to the next movie). So I guess we agree to disagree.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
oh and Kurt Russel was awesome until he started whining about being injured :(

agreed, in that we disagree.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »
WHAT?!?!?!?!

That was my favorite part! When he was screaming like a little bitch! LOL My brother and I were rolling laughing. I literally rewound it back thrice to see that part again. You rarely see the "bad guy" in such a state.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:50:12 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »
Kurt Russel was fine. It's those damn women that spoke way too much. Death Proof should have been edited down to 40 minutes, and even so that's pushing it.

Maybe I'm not much of a fan of Quentin's style. I don't like Kill Bill. I don't like Death Proof. Maybe I haven't watched enough of his movies to make such an assumption, but those were the movies I watched and none other.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs?

And you didn't like Kill Bill. I fucking LOVE that movie.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
I haven't watched Pulp Fiction, nor Reservoir Dogs, but I know of them of course. I just haven't had the chance to watch them.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2009, 03:41:22 PM »
Wow. You really should. Pulp Fiction is one of the best movies ever made. I've seen it so many times. I've literally gone back and watched parts of that movie just because of how great they were.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
And I probably will check them out. I just have to remember myself to ask my friends if they have them on DVD or something.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 07:44:01 PM »
I haven't watched Pulp Fiction, nor Reservoir Dogs, but I know of them of course. I just haven't had the chance to watch them.

Reservoir Dogs is his best film.  Pulp Fiction tends to feel like it drags at parts after multiple viewings.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
While I agree it drags on, Pulp Fiction has the best dialogue in anyone of his films; hands down.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »
"Let's get a taco."

I disagree.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
Really?

Samuel L.'s first and last scene with Travolta are pure genius.