Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 729045 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1400 on: August 21, 2007, 12:05:01 PM »
Loving all the Super Metroid praise as it definitely deserves it.

I was astonished that in all my times through the game many years ago that I STILL didn't see everything as the other day for the first time I got to the room with the turtles and the energy pack.

Good stuff.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1401 on: August 21, 2007, 02:43:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
see? story is just fluff.

The real story goes on behind the scenes when you're trying to find time to play between school or work or both and you get hungry and you convince yourself to take a break from playing so you could visit Taco Bell and like those two guys who try to be the best Donkey Kong player in the world with all the drama between them and their inner selves or those times you play against a boss and you spend thirty minutes not beating it cuz you can't think straight cuz you're tired and it's late and you might have a headache since you decided not to visit Taco Bell and get that meal you should've had.

Oh, yah.  Definitely.  Everyday.  I'll take two.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 21, 2007, 03:55:04 PM »
Finally downloaded it... One thing about Super Metroid is that the controls take getting used to and the jumping is still off in the early game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 21, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
SM will be my second VC purchase now that I have popped my cherry  

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 21, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »
I say Y for run, B for jump, and R for Shot.  L for up angle.  That's my advice.  It'll feel a little Super Mario World-ish, with a dash of FPS, I think.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 21, 2007, 11:54:24 PM »
Having never owned an SNES, I had never played Super Metroid. I was planning to wait until after Metroid Prime 3 to get it, but with all the hype I couldn't resist. After I downloaded it I proceeded to play it for three straight hours. Damn, this thing is fantastic. I played Fusion, and a little bit of Zero Mission, and I enjoyed both, but they don't hold a candle to this. I wouldn't call it the best game of all time, but I can certainly see how someone could come to that conclusion.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 21, 2007, 11:59:58 PM »
I've been using a hori pad with A jump, B select item, Y shoot, X run, and Z cancel item.  L and R at their defaults.  Having the Z button so close to my right thumb is quite convenient, but practically anything is better than using the default of the select button for cycling through your items.

Also, I'm with Ian regarding story.  It always makes me sad when developers foil their attempts at immersion with cutscenes.  The Prime series is a perfect example.  They go to all the trouble of having all these visor effects to make it feel like you're in Samus' suit of armor, only to throw it away every now and then by cutting to random, disembodied cutscenes.
GOREGASM!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 22, 2007, 01:29:26 AM »

Originally posted by: insanolord
Having never owned an SNES, I had never played Super Metroid. I was planning to wait until after Metroid Prime 3 to get it, but with all the hype I couldn't resist. After I downloaded it I proceeded to play it for three straight hours. Damn, this thing is fantastic. I played Fusion, and a little bit of Zero Mission, and I enjoyed both, but they don't hold a candle to this. I wouldn't call it the best game of all time, but I can certainly see how someone could come to that conclusion.

Zero Mission is really good... you should go back and finish that.  I liked it a bit better than Super Metroid.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1408 on: August 22, 2007, 01:55:00 AM »
The Select button for your items select isn't that bad...I have not had too many issues with it.  Now for the weapons cancel I have issues with that.

I did have to start the game over and switch L and R, because it is more important to angle up and shoot and that is easier with L angling up.  I may want to start the game yet again and do that R as shoot as suggested, because it is an interesting take on the controls.

Anyone play with the moonwalk option on?  What does it do exactly, and does it help with the game?

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 22, 2007, 02:18:11 AM »
Select button for item selection is awful for when you want to rapidly switch between your beam and missiles, like shooting down projectiles bosses shoot at you before quickly returning fire.  It gets progressively worse as you gain more items to cycle through.

Uh, you know you can change your control settings without starting a new file, right...? O_o

I tried the moonwalk option back on the SNES once.  If you move in the opposite direction while holding fire, you can walk backwards while shooting.  I remember it being difficult to even pull it off, let alone make good use of it.  And I think you might've even walked slowly when moving backwards.  
GOREGASM!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1410 on: August 22, 2007, 02:58:36 AM »
I tried to find that option to change button in the middle of the game.  I paused and went through the Map and Samus options, but never found a way to change button layouts.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 22, 2007, 03:01:49 AM »
You can't do it in the middle of the game.  After you select your file from the file selection screen you have the option to mess with your settings before diving into the game from where you last saved.
GOREGASM!

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 22, 2007, 03:35:34 AM »
Played about 2 hours yesterday.  Can't believe how perfect this game is.

There's a lot more that I'm appreciating that I didn't when I was younger.  Most of it silly opinion.  For example, I love how there's deadends in the game.  Like you go into a room and there's literally nothing there.  That just makes so much sense because you're on this sprawling, huge world.  Every other game designer in the world is going to at least put something in there.  Nintendo just sort of understands "this is an alien world, parts of it don't make sense and exist only to exist."  I realize that is something tiny to hit on, but it just really stands out as something that took some honest thought.  

Music is great and atmospheric, control is spot on (I keep getting into areas I technically shouldn't, since I like to wall jump so much).  All the little graphical touches on Samus's suit still look awesome.  The overwhelming sense of isolation.  Even the architecture is incredible - really feels completely otherworldly, with bizarre technology and the like.

I love this game.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:59 AM »
Dead ends in Super Metroid? I don't recall that.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1414 on: August 22, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »
It's not a dead end until you've scanned it, broke the wall, open the new room, get the booty, and find there's nothing left to scan.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 22, 2007, 11:27:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
It's not a dead end until you've scanned it, broke the wall, open the new room, get the booty, and find there's nothing left to scan.

Lol truth.

And I think you might've even walked slowly when moving backwards.

Also truth.

In regards to control set up I found myself struggling with the controls a little last week when I played SM on the SNES but after a half an hour I got very used to the default controls.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 22, 2007, 11:29:28 AM »
See, I normally have trouble dashing, jumping, and shooting with just one finger, but I think my set-up I mentioned above works well.  

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 23, 2007, 03:58:16 PM »
One thing about running is that after getting up to speed, you can let go of the run button and you'll still maintain your speed.  May or may not actually be too helpful, but it's something to keep in mind.
GOREGASM!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 23, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »
heh, I don't get this whole running thing even though something similar was in Zero Mission.... I usually push down to maintain a charge but how do you control any dash after the fact... sometime I go up sometimes to the side...  

Offline chaingunsofdoom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 24, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »
Shecky checkout Google or GameFAQs for the secret moves guides. To jump diagonally up: after you're charged-up, use the R button, point left or right, then hit the jump button. You will go flying left or right.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 27, 2007, 05:22:24 AM »
Breath of Fire 2
Super C
Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Genesis)

Not a bad week.  I might have to get points for BoF2.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 27, 2007, 05:24:41 AM »
Edit - Strell has a faster quickdraw than me.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 27, 2007, 05:54:25 AM »
Super C!? Now theres the Contra I played! Oh baby nostalgia flowin' like diarrhea!  
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 27, 2007, 08:14:41 AM »
Breath of Fire 2! YES!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 27, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »
I Metroid Prime 3 wasn't coming out tomorrow I would care about these titles but for now they are gonna be on the back burner . . .