Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 672043 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
What? Emotion Engine out of ALL PS3s?!?!? Where?!?!?! LINK!

And where's the Ace Combat news?!?!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Jin-X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
NeoGaf

Emotion Engine gone

Ace Combat 6

While I don't know the reliability of the site where the EE story originated, it's pretty safe to assume that if they took out of the European one to save costs that they would take out all of them.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Jin-X
While I don't know the reliability of the site where the EE story originated, it's pretty safe to assume that if they took out of the European one to save costs that they would take out all of them.

Yep, its been pulled from PAL systems. So backwards compatibility has gone to hell. Sounds like the Kotaku article a while ago of a 1-in-13 hit rate isn't far off.

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
WOW Sony Customer Service really is bad

We bought a TV from a store that wa Sony a couple months ago, the sales person told us the TV could support Progressive Scan and had Component Hook Ups, so we bought it cuz I wanted to hook the Wii up to it, its a flat screan tv and looks better than our old tv.

So ok I get it home, hunt down some Wii Component cables and hook it up set it for progressive scan and what do I see? a scrambled mess of a picture with no colors! I was pissed. SO I sent sony an email and asked whats wrong? Well their response was pretty straight forward.

>>Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We understand that you want to know whether your television ********
supports
Progressive scan when connected to Nintendo Wii using component cables.

We like to inform you that your TV will
not support Progressive scan while connected
via component cable.

Your television does not posses this
capability. However regarding display resolution,
it depends upon the input source provided to TV.

We hope that this information is helpful to you. If you need any
further assistance, feel free to contact us. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Sony Email Response Team<<

SO in other words... My tv cant do Progressiv scan when hooked up using Component cables, but it depends on the input source? What does that mean? I thought the Wii *WAS* the  input source?

So I sent another email asking for clarification and all they sent back was the manual  for the TV which said resolution 1080i in big letters but small letters said 480i only!?!?! WHAT!? No mention of progressive scan anywhere excpet  "supports component resolutions via Progressive Scan Capable DVD Player"? Sony is so effing confusing.

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Phil Harrison's pet game 3.0'd

Ah, so 3.0 was the verb. I read that as "Phil Harrison's pet was subjected to his proposed Game 3.0 model".

I seem to recall Sony stating that this would be for all future revisions, not just the PAL one (after all it wouldn't make sense to cut costs only in the territory where the PS3 is the most expensive already).

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
Phil Harrison's pet game 3.0'd

OMG IT'S THE DUCKY GAME!!!!!
I told ya the PS3 was for teh kiddies.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
FYI on the digital broadcast stuff.

The Feb 2009 cutoff is for over-the-air broadcasts. You're only affected if you use an antenna to receive your TV signal (10% of households). This won't matter to cable and satellite users.
"wow."

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
The backward compatible game list for Europe has been released.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
Great.  So if I EVER want a PS3 I need to grab it know because I mostly want it for the Backward Compatibility and Blu-Ray...

Also how could the game stick so bad.  It had 7+ years of developement.

Ummm... Wow.
None of the Games I own/Want to play on the PS3 but my PS2 broke are on there...

Also none of the popular series that I'm interested in...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: PartyBear
The backward compatible game list for Europe has been released.

They may claim 75% BC but what does "Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues" really mean?

edit: Microsoft says: One down two to go

Boris Schneider-Johne, Xbox Product Manager of Microsoft Germany, today hints at his blog, called dreisechtig.net (German for threesixty), that Devil May Cry 4 may only be the first of three exclusive PS3-games coming also to Xbox 360.

On his blog, he posted the following phrase:

"One down, two to go"

Followed by the names of three games: Devil May Cry (striked), Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid.

But he also does some damage control shortly afterwards...

"Yes, this is just a personal checklist of franchises that I and plenty of others would like to see on Xbox 360. In no way, shape or form is that an announcement list, an internal Microsoft shopping list, a “I know more than you do” list or something like that."

But I think we all know that it really is... a shopping list that is.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I can't see Square-Enix moving Final Fantasy to the Xbox 360, the XB360 is everything but dead in Japan right now.  If anything I think they would probably suck it up and redo the game for the Wii because at least that way there will be systems there for the games to match up with and sell.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
I can't see Square-Enix moving Final Fantasy to the Xbox 360, the XB360 is everything but dead in Japan right now.

I couldn't see them moving XIII to the 360 of their own accord, due to the performance of the system in Japan as you cited, and to that extent I agree... However, Microsoft knows how important the series would be to the Japanese market, and that getting it on the 360 could be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" in respects to the PS3. So with some extra monetary compensation, I certainly wouldn't count it out of the range of possibilities.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ceric

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
I can't see Square-Enix moving Final Fantasy to the Xbox 360, the XB360 is everything but dead in Japan right now.

I couldn't see them moving XIII to the 360 of their own accord, due to the performance of the system in Japan as you cited, and to that extent I agree... However, Microsoft knows how important the series would be to the Japanese market, and that getting it on the 360 could be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" in respects to the PS3. So with some extra monetary compensation, I certainly wouldn't count it out of the range of possibilities.

Agree.  But what I would like to know is how the FF numbers in Japan compare to the rest of the World.  If memory serve it came up here before that the Final Fantasy Series was not nearly as popular in Japan, but stil popular, where Dragon Quest is preferred.   If that is true and the rest of the world numbers dwarf the Japan numbers moving to the 360 doesn't sound near as ludicruos.  The 360 has more penetration in Europe and US then the PS3.  Probably will maintain it as well though the next 2 years.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly Final Fantasy games have always been exclusive with a possible pc release waaaay down the line.  Square in general has never been big on the multiconsole idea.  I can't think of any mutliconsole games they have done off the top of my head, can anybody else?  I think them porting FF anywhere is pretty slim, they will just delay it a lot so the ps3 has a better userbase when they release it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
If I remember correctly Final Fantasy games have always been exclusive with a possible pc release waaaay down the line.  Square in general has never been big on the multiconsole idea.  I can't think of any mutliconsole games they have done off the top of my head, can anybody else?  I think them porting FF anywhere is pretty slim, they will just delay it a lot so the ps3 has a better userbase when they release it.

FFXI and FFVII.  The Bouncer I think showed up on PC.  Though Multi-Console out of the gate no.  Except for FFXI if memory serves.

Also I think they just announce a switch.  It's only coming to 1 console and possibly PC much later down the road. (Which may be the only way I ever get to play FFXII)

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
FFVIII was also on the PC.

Technically Final Fantasy I-VIII & XI have all been multi-console games.
FF 1 and 2 have been on the NES, PSX, WonderSwan and GBA
FF 3 was on the NES and DS
FF 4, 5 and 6 have been on the SNES, PSX, WonderSwan and GBA
FF7 and 8 was on the PSX and PC
FF11 was on the PS2, PC and Xbox360

And just because it hasn't been done in the past doesn't mean it can't happen now.
Devil May Cry 1 and 2 were only on the PS2 and DMC3 was also on the PC and now DMC4 is going to the PS3, PC and Xbox360.

We never thought Square would go multiconsole. They have always been for one system or the other. NES, SNES, PSX and half of the PS2 life before they decided to support Nintendo and now they are supporting Microsoft too which everyone thought would never happen.

The engine that FFXIII is on has been confirmed to be multiconsole. IF Square wants to FFXIII can easily make the jump to multiconsole. Now sure FFXIII might not sell very well in Japan on the Xbox360 but you have to remember about the US and Europe where the Xbox360 is a WHOLE lot bigger then the PS3. If Square wants FFXIII to just be played by a very small market they will keep it PS3 exclusive but if they want to get FFVII and FFX sale numbers they are going to have to make it multiconsole.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
If Final Fantasy XIII was to be put on a system other then the PS3 it would go on the Wii long before the X-Box 360.  That's because they NEED the Japanese market for Final Fantasy games.  Every Final Fantasy since FFV has sold over 2 million copies in Japan, and so Square would want to put the game on a system that can hit those numbers.  With the 360 dead and gone in Japan, the Wii is the ONLY system that could hit those numbers in Japan.

On the PS2, FFX sold 3.02 million copies in Japan, FFX-2 sold 2.41 million and FFXII has 2.42 million copies.  I doesn't matter how much Square has to downgrade, they'll find a way to put FFXIII on the Wii because I dont see them letting go of their Japanese fanbase that makes up around 40-50% of the overall sales for each Final Fantasy.

Plus there's the fact that at the rate the Wii is selling, it will surpass the 360 in sales sometime in July or August, which would make it the system that would sell more copies of FFXIII in both America and Europe.  Which will pretty much force Square to have to port the game to the Wii when the Wii is the most popular system around the world and the ONLY system that can pull in the high sales numbers the previous games in the series have been pulling in.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
not to mention xbox fanoys *hate* FF games. It wont sell on Xbox PERIOD.  
You can call me

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: segagamer12

I would not say that, like most exclusives, people on them "hate" the game until it comes out on their system, then they love it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
If Final Fantasy XIII was to be put on a system other then the PS3 it would go on the Wii long before the X-Box 360.  That's because they NEED the Japanese market for Final Fantasy games.  Every Final Fantasy since FFV has sold over 2 million copies in Japan, and so Square would want to put the game on a system that can hit those numbers.  With the 360 dead and gone in Japan, the Wii is the ONLY system that could hit those numbers in Japan.

It won't go to the Wii do to the fact that the Wii is underpowered, FFXIII would need to be seriously downgraded to be playable on the Wii while a Xbox360 port would take almost no changes. maybe FFXIV will go to the Wii but Sqaure is not about to put another year into the game just so it can be on the Wii. Their best bet to break even with FFXIII is to make a Xbox360 and PC ports just like FFXI. It might not sell well in Japan but it would sell very well in the US and Europe. Square doesn't just care about how well it would sell in Japan they care about how well it will sell world wide. If Square only cared about Japan then why on earth would they even show any suport to Microsoft in the first place.

And who says the Xbox360 is dead and gone in Japan. Sure its not selling extremly well but its still selling, When the Xbox360 hits less then 100 units sold a week then yes you can say its dead and gone. But until then its still doing well. If the Xbox360 could just get more titles aimed at the Japan market like Blue Dragon and IdolMaster then they might have a good chance at pulling away more users from Sony.

I would be willing to bet that if Final Fantasy XIII was released day one on both the PS3 and Xbox360 in Japan that you would see more copies of the Xbox360 version sold then the PS3. Why? Because Japan isn't stupid when it comes to money. They will buy a system for 1 game and if they can save $200+ on the system they will go with that. They will by a Xbox360 for Final Fantasy XIII because its the cheaper console.

Its a battle between Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is off doing their own thing and it won't be untill later that we see more series moving over to the Wii, But right now developers are not going to drop years of work on games just to downgrade them and port them to the Wii.

Says who? I know alot of Xbox fanboys who like Final Fantasy and only own a PS2 for thouse games alone.
Its sterotypical images like that that has made people believe that Nintendo fanboys hate Mature titles and only like Baby games.

Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
Well, S-E delivered a nice bitch slap to Sony a while back when they said "No Dragon Quest for you!" and snuggled up nice and close, but not creepy with the DS in a big bed of love!
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
According to THIS rumor over at Kotaku, Microsoft is looking to buy Take-Two. If this happens, I have no doubt that MS' first order of business would be to make Grand Theft Auto IV (and the entire GTA series) exclusive to the XBox 360. Would the PS3 still be able to build a userbase without the PlayStation's most popular series? What would this mean for Nintendo? Would Manhunt 2 still be released for the Wii?  I just can't see them allowing any of the gaming franchises they'd acquired through the purchase of Take-Two to appear on any of their competitor's consoles.

Since I just recent bought a Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy seeing Sony's BluRay take a huge hit if this were to come true (No GTA = even greater lack of interest in the PS3 thus effectively stalling the growth of BD).
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
>>Says who? I know alot of Xbox fanboys who like Final Fantasy and only own a PS2 for thouse games alone.
Its sterotypical images like that that has made people believe that Nintendo fanboys hate Mature titles and only like Baby games.<<

It's not stereotypical, the majority of die hard xbox fans do not like FF or those types of games.

Dude DONT argue just for the sake of arguinggod damnint! IF anyone else had made that statement it would have been acceptable!

FF sells like S**T on Xbox, Xbox fans are VERY VOCAL about how much it sucks, that doesnt mean it wont GO to Xbox, which is what everyone seams to want for some unknown reason. But you *know* as mucha sI do it wont be a phenominal hit on that system *because* thier big fanbase is not interetse din those types of games, The people who got a ps2 for those games *will* get a ps3 also. Those people will buy all three systems.

Get over yourselves Damn I ams ick of arguing with peopel over things that are obvious. just f*&$ off.

You can call me

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
Sorry, I'm a step behind on the FF XIII discussion...
Remember that Sony's success rides on them being able to sell PS3s.  And FF XIII - and for that matter the GTA series - moves systems.  Sony knows that it's major franchises and supporters are dwindling, they are going to make a pretty serious grab and what they can retain.
That being said, don't expect Microsoft to buy out Take Two without SCEA entering the fray.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile

>>Says who? I know alot of Xbox fanboys who like Final Fantasy and only own a PS2 for thouse games alone.
Its sterotypical images like that that has made people believe that Nintendo fanboys hate Mature titles and only like Baby games.<<

It's not stereotypical, the majority of die hard xbox fans do not like FF or those types of games.

Dude DONT argue just for the sake of arguinggod damnint! IF anyone else had made that statement it would have been acceptable!

FF sells like S**T on Xbox, Xbox fans are VERY VOCAL about how much it sucks, that doesnt mean it wont GO to Xbox, which is what everyone seams to want for some unknown reason. But you *know* as mucha sI do it wont be a phenominal hit on that system *because* thier big fanbase is not interetse din those types of games, The people who got a ps2 for those games *will* get a ps3 also. Those people will buy all three systems.

Get over yourselves Damn I ams ick of arguing with peopel over things that are obvious. just f*&$ off.

How do you know that the "majority" of diehard xbox fans do not like FF do you have a poll of all Xbox Fanboys to prove that? If die hard xbox fanboys hate FF so much why is there so much noise about wanting it? Why was getting Blue Dragon such a huge deal to all of them? How can you claim that FF sells like S**T on the Xbox when we have only got Final Fantasy XI on the Xbox360 and thats not a fair example of how the game will do since first its a MMO and not a true Final Fantasy game and second the game was over 4 years old when it finally came out on the Xbox360. Thats like saying "oh Doom 1 sells like sh*t on the Xbox".

Good RPS sell well on the XBox, just look at how well KotoR did.

NO ONE will be stupid enough to buy a PS3 just for Final Fantasy. You would have to be a Major DIEHARD fan to do that. Its not like dropping $200 on another system the PS3 is F*cken $600! Think about that. ANYONE who is given the option of buying a Xbox360 or a PS3 for the next Final Fantasy will in a heart beat pick the Xbox360. Its $660 vs $360. And I would be even more willing to bet that if Final Fantasy XIII makes it to the Xbox360 MS would release a special bundle for it.

Your argument is full of holes and is majorly flawed.
Crow ~ MST3K