Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 670520 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #2900 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »
At what point do people think they're over-connected to everything via their smartphones?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 17, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »
But I need an app to know when my toast is ready so I can butter it while it's still warm.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: January 19, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »
http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/19/rumour-ps3-motion-controller-is-called-xox/

It's that time again!  It's time for another round of "Name that Sony Motion Controller!"  This month's rumored official name is "Arc", a name I'd probably like a lot more if I could actually figure out what relevance it has to motion control (besides the whole "swinging it in an 'arc'" bit).  I mean, it's not an "Ark" as in the Ark of the Covenant or Noah's Ark, both of which could metaphorically be what Sony's trying to make this thing do for the PS3.  It's just "Arc", as in a geometric angle.  Yeah...
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2903 on: January 19, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
That old Batarang was pretty Arc-y.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: January 19, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Its called "Arc" because you're supposed to attach it to a specific length of wood and then insert it into a certain spot in a temple at a certain time of day, and then a ray of light will shoot out of it and point you towards the Arc of the covenant.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
The PlayStation 3 has been HACKED!!
Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long :)

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

I expect PS3 sales to increase once this becomes a little more widespread(after it's released). Too bad for PS3 software sales will just be even worse than before, but on the plus side, HomeBrew on the PS3 will be very promising.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: January 25, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »
I expect PS3 sales to increase once this becomes a little more widespread(after it's released). Too bad for PS3 software sales will just be even worse than before, but on the plus side, HomeBrew on the PS3 will be very promising.

This is one case where I hope that the console manufacturer (Sony) shuts down the exploit and hopefully the hacker with it.  The PS3 is already a region-free system, with the exception of Blu-Ray (where North America and Japan are in the same region, so I don't expect all that many people care).  Sure, they could hack software that approximates the PS2 software emulation of my 80 GB PS3 model, but that software was always unpredictable at best.  The only reason anyone really has to hack the PS3 is to play pirated software, and we all know Sony has enough problems right now selling software.  Props to them for lasting 3 years without a successful hack, assuming that this hacker is even telling the truth.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: January 25, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
It is the same guy that jailbroke the iPhone so I'm sure he wouldn't want to tarnish his reputation.

But there are lots of things that a hacked PS3 could do besides play pirated software.
Improved media capabilities and interface for one, linux support using all that PS3 has to offer and region free PS1&2 support for those BC systems out there.
Basically you will be able to do anything you want with the PS3 hardware and it is quite a powerful little machine for only $300.

Unfortunately there is gonna be alot of bad to go along with the good, but that's how things work. From what I've been reading, he has hacked it down to the core and no firmware is gonna change that, but it's not very clear how he is gonna be able to reproduce the "hack" on every other PS3.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2908 on: January 25, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »
Best tool for hacking PS3s is an axe.

He must've used Craftsman.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 25, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
But there are lots of things that a hacked PS3 could do besides play pirated software.
Would it be possible to turn your PS3 into a DVR or would it need a TV turner for that?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: January 25, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
I honestly have no idea. can you get a USB TV tuner? If you can do that, then I don't see why not.

fake edit:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/14/ps3-tv-tuner-dvr-out-in-japan-in-march/

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: January 26, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »
Perhaps someone will create a Wii

This is one case where I hope that the console manufacturer (Sony) shuts down the exploit and hopefully the hacker with it.  The PS3 is already a region-free system, with the exception of Blu-Ray (where North America and Japan are in the same region, so I don't expect all that many people care).  Sure, they could hack software that approximates the PS2 software emulation of my 80 GB PS3 model, but that software was always unpredictable at best.  The only reason anyone really has to hack the PS3 is to play pirated software, and we all know Sony has enough problems right now selling software.  Props to them for lasting 3 years without a successful hack, assuming that this hacker is even telling the truth.

Your Sony Fanboyism is showing.

Who cares if it hurts Sony's sales? Remember the Rootkits?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: January 26, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
Your Sony Fanboyism is showing.

Who cares if it hurts Sony's sales? Remember the Rootkits?

Your Nintendo Fanboyism is showing.

If the Wii were region free with a HDD and whatnot, I'd feel the same way about that console being hacked.  This isn't a Sony vs. Nintendo thing, but just that most of the things that people hack consoles to do the PS3 already lets you do: on older models you can install Linux, and on all models you have region free access to games and PSN (right now I have an American and Japanese account just in case there's a JP demo I might take an interest in).  I'm not terribly familiar with Homebrew (and when I ran a search for it, I got nothing useful explaining it), but I just don't see a legitimate reason to hack that particular console.  It's pure glory-seeking on the part of the hacker, and I think it will lead to more abuses than benefits.

Obviously you have some deep-seeded personal hatred related to previous history with Sony "rootkits" that I have not had, so I'm afraid I can't join you on wishing the death of Sony over it.  I have a feeling you'd be far less sympathetic if Nintendo was losing widespread profits to internet hackers exploiting the Wii to play pirated games (which they probably already do).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:22:52 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: January 26, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »
The main reason I see for people hacking PS3 was the XBMC.
It is alot more functional, informative and looks a hell of a lot better then the PS interface.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: January 26, 2010, 01:22:14 AM »
If the hack is easy, then I will rush out and get a PS3 ASAP. PS3 games suck for the most part, so I don't see piracy being a big issue (not only that, but the games can be quite huge). I would get it to use as a new HTPC. If it can run Linux (which it can), then it can run XBMC.

Edit - also, from what Geohot has said, what he has found cannot be patched.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: January 26, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
I honestly have no idea. can you get a USB TV tuner? If you can do that, then I don't see why not.

fake edit:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/14/ps3-tv-tuner-dvr-out-in-japan-in-march/
I saw that, but it's a hundred freaking dollars!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: January 26, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
Well if you use it for more than 7 months, it's cheaper than renting one from your local cable company. Especially if it can utilize TVGuide.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: January 26, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
Cable uses proprietary encryption so you can't use the tuner with it (well, you could connect it to your cable decrypter but then you can only have it record the one channel you set that to and it could not change channels on its own to record stuff). You can get plenty of satellite or aerial PVRs but cable ones aren't available.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: January 26, 2010, 10:03:44 PM »
I for one would love to be able to download torrents straight to my PS3. I'd also like to play Nintendo games on it. I'd also like to play any type of video off of it without the need to stream it through a media server.

And of course I'd love to pirate PS3. **** a 60 dollar price tag.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: January 26, 2010, 10:47:59 PM »
Well the hack has been released, so there should be all types of awesome **** once some skilled programmers start using it. First mention of CFW (or even an non-crippled Linux distro with full GPU support) and I'm off to get a PS3.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: January 27, 2010, 04:41:26 AM »
This will bring up the sales in China.  I think Nintendo made some serious bank here by selling the wii for profit and then selling things like the balance board and Wii motion plus that take time and money to fake.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: January 27, 2010, 06:02:54 AM »
How in the world could you fake the balance board?
is your sanity...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2922 on: January 27, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
Wii Remotes and Nunchucks have already been faked, with near-identical results.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: January 27, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
I live in Beijng and you can pretty much buy fake everything.  I haven't seen any fake balance boards yet (real ones come with a real game) but I imagine somebody is trying to make them.  People are more willing to buy fake software than hardware though.  The quality is hugely different and the price decrease simply isn't as great when you compare to fake software.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: January 29, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
lol how long have you lived in Beijing SixthAngel?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post