Author Topic: A note about 3D and "Wii"  (Read 7371 times)

Offline lastexit

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
A note about 3D and "Wii"
« on: April 30, 2006, 10:50:42 PM »
The most significant thing about the name "Wii" is that it has TWO "I's"

Two Eyes

Stereoscopic 3D is accomplished by pushing images to both eyes and allowing them to naturally combine them.

discuss...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:A note about 3D and "Wii"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:03:12 PM »
What do you call a deer without an eye?

No-eye-deer!

Hahaha..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 12:07:13 AM »
Interesting theory, if that does happen (I am not to up on what this imaging trick looks like) then that would go even farther to explain the use of "Wii". We will see though, only 8 more days!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: A note about 3D and "Wii"
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 12:13:32 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 02:16:58 AM »
Probably too expensive to implement in the Wii, but the WiiTwo could have it.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 03:23:43 AM »
W is said DOUBLE YOU.
YOU AND YOU
DOUBLE YOU AND DOUBLE I
YOU AND I
WE!
=0
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 06:06:24 AM »
Stereoscopic 3D does not work for all people and requires a special TV...

So... NO!

It doesn't add anything to the experience either... except maybe a head ache.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 06:26:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale It doesn't add anything to the experience either... except maybe a head ache.

...Which can be used as an excuse to not have sex with a frustrated boyfriend/husband!

Finally, Nintendo's bid for the female gamer market, revealed!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 07:53:55 AM »
'k, now I want to smack you. I always get this urge to smack people when they suggest that the Wii will include some form of 3d display.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 07:59:07 AM »
sterioscopic 3d doesnt work for me...when I use a microscope...my mind doesnt put the images together...i see two images seperately and it gives me a headache.  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 10:26:09 AM »
I can't see them making everyone wear glasses.  I could see it as an option tho and not a mandatory feature.  Games would play fine without.  Put on some glasses and lasers coming at you in Metroid Prime would really come at you.

Offline lastexit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »
stereoscopic 3D does not use glasses.  The trick is there is a focal point, usually a dot, set behind the image if possible.  You focus on the dot and your eyes adjust for that distance and relax.  You don't have to "do" anything.

It is how you see naturally, ever wonder how two eyes make one image?  Nobody can say "stereoscopic 3D doesn't work for me" and be able to see with depth perception in real life.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
The promo video for Wii showed the i's playing a game of table tennis.
Seems like just the type of thing that would be perfect for stereoscopic 3D.
That way instead of the Wii-mote being used to control a paddle on screen, it IS the paddle.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 03:52:08 PM »
lastexit: ThePerm probably, like me and many glasses-wearing people I know, has no (or very limited) depth perception. I know if I really concentrate and try to focus, I can look through both of my eyes, but otherwise I only use one of them.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 04:17:14 PM »
LastExit, what you just described is MagicEyes, which is different than what I think a lot of people here are describing.  There is tech that places a reflecting thing over a screen, sending the right image to each eyes...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »
Worst. Logic. Ever.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
In response to the video of the amazing 3D tables.  I could see that at arcades and social venues but even if it's cheap enough I don't see it making it into a home and heres why.  TV's take Vertical space not horizontal space.  People tend to have  8 foot ceilings and that space from floor to ceiling is really wasted so no one misses it when a TV uses the space.  Hence why people will sacrifice video quality for a flat screen TV.  Fixed depth.  A 2D tv screen can give you the impression of seeing for miles.  A table will always be the same size.  It just can't give you that sort of image.  Which is ok for gaming because it's offset by the abitility to walk around and see everything.

So this would definitely be an arcade technology.  Maybe even inspire games akin to Angelic Layer.  It would also be a good corporate technology as well.  Just not a mainstream home technology.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »
I could say something, but I'm under NDAs you guys, sorry.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 06:05:12 PM »
Wii?  Prounced We.  E?  E for eat.  The wiimote is edible.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 06:11:23 PM »
USELESS TECH GET
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 06:26:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I could say something, but I'm under NDAs you guys, sorry.

Me too, but rest assured this thread still has the worst logic ever.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 06:56:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
In response to the video of the amazing 3D tables.  I could see that at arcades and social venues but even if it's cheap enough I don't see it making it into a home and heres why.  TV's take Vertical space not horizontal space.  People tend to have  8 foot ceilings and that space from floor to ceiling is really wasted so no one misses it when a TV uses the space.  Hence why people will sacrifice video quality for a flat screen TV.  Fixed depth.  A 2D tv screen can give you the impression of seeing for miles.  A table will always be the same size.  It just can't give you that sort of image.  Which is ok for gaming because it's offset by the abitility to walk around and see everything.

So this would definitely be an arcade technology.  Maybe even inspire games akin to Angelic Layer.  It would also be a good corporate technology as well.  Just not a mainstream home technology.
I'm not sure which video you were watching but I son't think the video above had 3-D tables. If its the same video that we've seen on the internet b4 it uses 3 eye-toy like cameras and maniputes computer images in real time to display on the tv screen.

I'm sure there was a thread about his video a loooooong time ago, I'll try and find it.

p.s. I didn't not watch the video that was linked in this thread, cause I'm pretty sure it the same one from b4 rebranded as something Nintendo related.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 07:16:45 PM »
Okay, so we have a)unique online b)unique force feedback and now c)mutli-dimensional awesomeness.

Sounds good.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 05:02:29 AM »
Ok Technically they used Mirrors but they make no sense unless it has a table or some other flat non-cluttered surface to go with them.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.