Author Topic: Email Nintendo and tell them you HATE the name!  (Read 65161 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Email Nintendo and tell them you HATE the name!
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »
R-Kelly likes the name
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2006, 12:52:17 PM »
Women's Entertainment television never caught this crap.  Why Nintendo?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »
womens entertainment television spells wet, and thats what wii want to see
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Email Nintendo and tell them you HATE the name!
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
My point is, Wii won't be associated directly with urine or the personal pronoun, in a few months.  It'll hearken to the pronoun, because that's the idea behind it, but mostly it'll just be a name for a gaming console that people will be buying.

Nintendo's marketing is so good that most people still don't even know the GC exists.

Yeah, that same marketing team is going to replace the word "wee" from meaning piss to Nintendo's console. Uh huh. Sure.

Dream on.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2006, 12:59:44 PM »
"My point is, Wii won't be associated directly with urine or the personal pronoun, in a few months."

In a few months the Wii will start having advertisments and the general public will be see the Wii for the first time.  Their opinion is what matters above all else.  They won't be in "pronoun mode" like the rest of us supposedly will be.  They won't have this elaborate explaination about how Japanese people don't understand that "we" is not used in the same context as "us".  They'll see Nintendo Wii and think of Nintendo Pee.  That even rhymes.

I think just the sheer fact that a console NAME is causing such a huge stinkeroo (Iwata's second name choice perhaps) should be a sign that it's a bad idea.  I cannot think of any console name EVER that has had such a negative response.  It's like the internet exploded today.  Every forum related to gaming in any way is full of people freaking out about this.  "Xbox 360" was a pretty lame name but it didn't have THIS kind of negative response.  When people are making petiti0ns (stupid filter) and starting email campaigns for you to not use a name then you picked a REALLY bad name.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2006, 01:01:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
My point is, Wii won't be associated directly with urine or the personal pronoun, in a few months.  It'll hearken to the pronoun, because that's the idea behind it, but mostly it'll just be a name for a gaming console that people will be buying.

The obsession with urine you people have is baffling.

Edit: Brilliant metaphor, by the way.  Really, I'm impressed.  Totally changed my mind, citing Cartoon Network as an example.

DUDE WAKE UP AND REALIZE IT!

Wii is a name that opens up the opportunity to make fun of the Rev. in many ways.

You think us associating the name Wii with urine is baffling?

Imagine people like G4 talking about the Rev. Imagine all the means they can mention because of the name. Imagine the magazine comics or online comics. Imagine Sony and MS's marketing department. They are going to have a field day creating jokes for negative advertisements!

A name is something extremely important. The name of a product associates it with the company that created it. The name "Wii" doesn't do that. It's very silly. hell, it isn't even "iPod" cool.

Seriously, dude, why can't you see this? Why are you being so hard on us when we have made good points about it?

And don't mock me because I used a Cartoon Network metaphor. The idea behind it is that initially no one wanted a "Sandwhich" because it was called "Stinky pile of poo", even if the sandwhich was the best thing ever created.
This could happen to the Rev.

It may have the greatest games, the controller is AMAZING and it has a bright future. BUT it's marred down by a really bad name. Believe it or not, people ARE self concious about what they buy. They are going to want products that represent their overall attitude and worth. So to some people, the name "Wii" is associated with something childish, not the latest and greatest in gaming. This is a very silly way of thinking, but these people buy the consoles, which mean that they use money to buy them, and money is what Nintendo needs in order to continue living.

Nintendo needs to change it's image to that everyone can enjoy their games and finally realize that Nintendo isn't all that bad.

Agai, dude, why are so uber defensive when the issue is right in front of you?

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2006, 01:06:07 PM »
I just want to remind everyone that heated discussion of the topic at hand is fine, but edit/ban/lock/delete will come down hard if the debate turns into personal insults.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline WesDawg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2006, 01:07:37 PM »
"I have never seen the internet blow up like it did today. What a terrible terrible name."

Lol. You haven't been around long, eh? Just wait a week and a half for E3, and the internets will blow up again. It happens all the time, but especially around the time consoles are introduced. Everyone fights and bitches and moans, and in the end, life goes on.

Unless Nintendo is extremely successful, most people won't have the slightest idea in the world what a Nintendo Wii is. If they are successful, everyone will, and it will make for great jokes and great tag lines. The success of the console won't depend even slightly on the 10 people out there who won't buy it because of the name though.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2006, 01:07:46 PM »
"In a few months the Wii will start having advertisments and the general public will be see the Wii for the first time. Their opinion is what matters above all else. They won't be in "pronoun mode" like the rest of us supposedly will be. They won't have this elaborate explaination about how Japanese people don't understand that "we" is not used in the same context as "us". They'll see Nintendo Wii and think of Nintendo Pee. That even rhymes."

Ian, stop and think for a moment.  You don't think that maybe, just maybe, that Nintendo will have a motto or tagline that refers to the unity/we (pronoun) metaphor.

"Nintendo's marketing is so good that most people still don't even know the GC exists."

Marketing is all about word of mouth.  Sony doesn't have spectacular advertising, it's what the public picked up on.  Wii will make waves, and that'll make conversation.  We'll see where it goes from there.

Edit: "hell, it isn't even "iPod" cool."
Sir, iPod is cool because Apple made it cool.  Simple as that.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »
It comes down to this, do you really like the name? and dont answer "is a clever marketing ploy" "it has everyone talking about it", ask yourself if you like the name itself, forget the urine jokes for a moment, forget that it means a pronoun (and for more than half of the word this is actually the case), does the name even makes a lick of sense? at all?

It sound like an onomatopoeia, something an animal would utter, not an electronic or entertainment device. Names like TiVo, iPod, google, etc, also sound odd, but they do appear to be the names of technology products for the average guy, not wii.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2006, 01:15:34 PM »

Originally posted by: WesDawg The success of the console won't depend even slightly on the 10 people out there who won't buy it because of the name though.

Beyond sounding like a synonym for piss, the name is silly and childish.

There are far more than 10 people in the US who won't buy something with a lousy name, like easily 200 million who won't.

As sad as it is, many people place more value on the items they own than who they are and these people are not going to own a "wee". They stand a good chance of owning a Revolution, but not a wee.

Revolution is a strong name, indicating a rebellion and change in the way games are played. It perfectly summarized Nintendo's next home console. "Wii" is an irritating neo-marketing buzz pun which has no meaning to anyone and needs to be explained in order not to be ridiculed, and even then, it'll likely still be ridiculed.

"It's like "wii" play together, get it?"
"Yeah, and it's still dumb."

This isn't like nick naming a huge guy "Fluffy". He can be called Fluffy because everyone can see plain as day that he's huge. The joke is readily apparent and no one is going to mess with Fluffy.

The Rev is unproven. It cannot go into the market acting like the concept is already sold when it isn't. The proof is in the pudding, and no one is going to buy "brown poop pudding snacks" so it doesn't matter how good they might be.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2006, 01:19:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"My point is, Wii won't be associated directly with urine or the personal pronoun, in a few months."

In a few months the Wii will start having advertisments and the general public will be see the Wii for the first time.  Their opinion is what matters above all else.  They won't be in "pronoun mode" like the rest of us supposedly will be.  They won't have this elaborate explaination about how Japanese people don't understand that "we" is not used in the same context as "us".  They'll see Nintendo Wii and think of Nintendo Pee.  That even rhymes.

I think just the sheer fact that a console NAME is causing such a huge stinkeroo (Iwata's second name choice perhaps) should be a sign that it's a bad idea.  I cannot think of any console name EVER that has had such a negative response.  It's like the internet exploded today.  Every forum related to gaming in any way is full of people freaking out about this.  "Xbox 360" was a pretty lame name but it didn't have THIS kind of negative response.  When people are making petiti0ns (stupid filter) and starting email campaigns for you to not use a name then you picked a REALLY bad name.

I agree with this.

The Gamecube was a pretty silly name for a console, same with XBOX and the 360. But like Ian said, the public reaction was not as bad as this is.

Hell, I believe that the outlash is going to be EVEN WORSE than the Celda one from a few years back. At least people later on decided to wait and see and believed that the new look could create some very interesting worlds. No one seems to find something positive about Wii, except the uber hardcore and forgiving Nintendo fans.

VGcats has already criticized the name and will probably do a comic about it. I'm sure Penny Arcade will do it too. Planet gamecube has commented against the name. A lot of websites are responding negatively towards the name.

This is proof that the name is a very bad one and needs to be changed ASAP. Anyone that fails to see this are just way too forgiving.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2006, 01:21:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
I just want to remind everyone that heated discussion of the topic at hand is fine, but edit/ban/lock/delete will come down hard if the debate turns into personal insults.

Gee... it's a good thing you reminded us... we were all having a good time discussing a big piece of news and would've totally forgotten about how great and powerful you are.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2006, 01:29:53 PM »
Oh I just ask my brother:

me: "what do you think of the name "Wii" for a product?"

him: "hmmm, as in "we"?"

me: "yes, but spelled W-i-i"

him: "I dont know, it makes me wonder, whats that about?"

me: "is the new name for the new Nintendo console"

*silence*

"Its a damn horrible name for a console, when I think of that name I dont think of a console, I think about food or something else"

Maybe it will work? Ill call it the rev forever though.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2006, 01:33:54 PM »
"There are far more than 10 people in the US who won't buy something with a lousy name, like easily 200 million who won't."
You're kidding right? There haven't been 200 million consoles sold this entire generation. There are less than 300 million people in the US. I would think you're exagerating, but you wrote that whole "easily" part in there.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2006, 01:43:46 PM »
The press release justification could just as easily explain why it's pronounced like WHY, and the WEE stigma would be eliminated:

Wii sounds like “why," which emphasizes this console questions why games have to be stuck in the past, using only quaint buttons

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
-no changes

Wii has a distinctive “ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.
-no changes

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.
-no changes.. but come on.. if it's revolutionary why not just call it Revolution?

So that’s Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.
-no changes

Because, it’s really not about you or me.
-no changes

It’s about Wii.
-no changes

And together, Wii will question everything.  
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2006, 01:50:45 PM »
I hate the Nintendo Response.

"You'll just have to play it to understand."
Ok I want to understand it now so let me play a Rev.

You can tell that even internally there was a good amount of convincing.

They won't reveal how they came up with the name.  But then they claim they want you to understand it.

So I'm going to have to sit here in the dark for best guess 2 months.  Because I can't understand it until I play a Rev.

This seems silly.  At least throw us a bone and tells us what your thought process was.

Oh, Also it was by comittee that explains somethings right their.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »
"Names like TiVo, iPod, google, etc, also sound odd, but they do appear to be the names of technology products for the average guy, not wii."

Are you really that blind?!  You think google and TiVo sound like technology?  Googley eyes.  You only think that way because those names are tied to products that MAKE YOU think that way.
Please.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2006, 02:02:02 PM »
Nintendo needs to break out some pink slips; this is like when attention whore movie stars name their kids Tampon and Lightbulb.  I can only guess because they want you to know what was involved in its conception, obviously there were some golden streams involved in the naming of this one.  

Suddenly Nintendo is Michael Jackson with a circus in his back yard saying, "hey kids, want to come play with my wii?"  

If I email Nintendo a letter it will read something like this.  

The other day I debated with someone for three pages about how the Revolution bridges the gap between the pad of the console and the mouse of the PC because they said that if Nintendo released a jar of piss I would still buy it.  Goddamn you Nintendo!
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2006, 02:05:05 PM »
The Revolution is such a powerful name especially for the american market, hell what would this country be without the Revolution (the american one not nintendo). And everyone in the world understands quite easily what a Revolution is. It's challenging the norm, it's going against the tide, it's taking a stand for what you believe. It's what everyone needs!

Why did they mess with the name? Hopefully they put it back. Yes I am gettting used to the name Wii, and the video on Nintendo.com was cool, but Revolution. Vive le Revolution. Viva la Revolution. no taxation without representation. seriously though, immediate almost subconscious recognition of the greatness of the name. every country has had a revolution in one way or another, even in japan. they had a cultural revolution. Tiananmen square. Boston Tea Party. Let them eat cake. how many cultures relate to revolution? ALL OF THEM! wii all relate to revolution.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline iMoron

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »
You know what...

I think this is the worce "April Fools" yoke EVARRR.... rather late in the month too...

Wii... mi madre!

Whoever selected the name better stop smoking "mushrums"...
Frustrated game developer...

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2006, 02:10:22 PM »
man whoever named this thing was on something far more worse than mushrooms, more like snake venom or salvia.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »
What I wrote to Nintendo:

I would just like to say that the new name for the Nintendo Revolution is not very appealing, and clearly shows that the Japan division of nintendo is not in touch with the western market at all. The Revolution was a much better name, was more fitting for the console, and would be much more appealing. Wii may be fine in Japan, but it will most definately hurt nintendos chances of regaining its popularity in the US, and other western countries.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »
How can you possibly think that NoA didn't have any say in this?  They obviously did.  An interview on 1up makes it very, very clear that they had input.  They approved it, they went with it.  You think a Japanese employee wrote the english on the revolution.nintendo.com website?  C'mon, use sense.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »
A lot of people in here are being blatently retarded...That's all I really have to say...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~